Would doing a masters program help my chances of getting into medical school greatly?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medschooldream9098

Reaction score
Hi, I post a lot about my spotty transcript and how I have F’s on it. Now I’ve been gettin straight A’s and everyone keeps telling me the upward trend is helpful, which really made me happy because I was so worried. Now I’m slightly worried because there are people applying for med school who never had a spotty transcript, therefore didn’t even need an upward trend. They were doing well from the start.
My question is if it would help me to do a Masters program. At my uni, we have an accelerated masters program that in incorporated into your bachelors, first year is senior year and second year is after you finish your bachelors. Basically it is only one extra year. I’ve considered doing this if it will be of great help to my chances of getting in.... my major is Biology with emphasis on biochemistry, the masters would be molecular biology (there’s 2 other types I can choose from as well)
I’m sorry to bother and thank you anyone who answers, I really appreciate it.
Some background: Also I am doing about 15h per week of volunteering (will have 700+ hours by then), I work as a CNA (clinical experience- will have 1000+ hours), I am shadowing a doctor (will get about 50-60h of shadowing), I have not began research yet but I’m looking into it for after the summer. And I have straight A’s now so an EXTREME upward trend from some F’s and D’s lol. Also I have a very valid reason for my grades being so low, which I will put in my personal statement.(not so much valid in my opinion, because I think I shouldn’t have been taking classes in the first place in my situation).
MCAT is yet to be taken but even though it’s so early, I’m already studying a tad bit in my free time just because I know my MCAT will make it or break it for me and am scared lol.
GPA when I grad from undergrad degree will be around 3.3 sgpa and maybe a 3.4 cgpa? Just my best guess that it will be around there.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Depends on your GPA and the rest of your application.

If you decide to pursue a Master's program to address a low science GPA, make sure the program focuses on hard sciences (read: not public health). If I had to guess, the Molecular Biology program you mentioned would probably be fine.

Feel free to message me directly if you have other questions since I was in a similar situation and ultimately chose the Master's route. The difference between my two application cycles was night-and-day.

Reactions: 1 users
Depends on your GPA and the rest of your application.

If you decide to pursue a Master's program to address a low science GPA, make sure the program focuses on hard sciences (read: not public health). If I had to guess, the Molecular Biology program you mentioned would probably be fine.

Feel free to message me directly if you have other questions since I was in a similar situation and ultimately chose the Master's route. The difference between my two application cycles was night-and-day.
You were right. I edited the post adding background on my GPA and extracurriculars. Also I will definitely message you as I’m looking for advice from people in similar situations or experience with this. I appreciate that, thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I post a lot about my spotty transcript and how I have F’s on it. Now I’ve been gettin straight A’s and everyone keeps telling me the upward trend is helpful, which really made me happy because I was so worried. Now I’m slightly worried because there are people applying for med school who never had a spotty transcript, therefore didn’t even need an upward trend. They were doing well from the start.
My question is if it would help me to do a Masters program. At my uni, we have an accelerated masters program that in incorporated into your bachelors, first year is senior year and second year is after you finish your bachelors. Basically it is only one extra year. I’ve considered doing this if it will be of great help to my chances of getting in.... my major is Biology with emphasis on biochemistry, the masters would be molecular biology (there’s 2 other types I can choose from as well)
I’m sorry to bother and thank you anyone who answers, I really appreciate it.
Some background: Also I am doing about 15h per week of volunteering (will have 700+ hours by then), I work as a CNA (clinical experience- will have 1000+ hours), I am shadowing a doctor (will get about 50-60h of shadowing), I have not began research yet but I’m looking into it for after the summer. And I have straight A’s now so an EXTREME upward trend from some F’s and D’s lol. Also I have a very valid reason for my grades being so low, which I will put in my personal statement.(not so much valid in my opinion, because I think I shouldn’t have been taking classes in the first place in my situation).
MCAT is yet to be taken but even though it’s so early, I’m already studying a tad bit in my free time just because I know my MCAT will make it or break it for me and am scared lol.
GPA when I grad from undergrad degree will be around 3.3 sgpa and maybe a 3.4 cgpa? Just my best guess that it will be around there.
Rising GPA trends are always good.
Read this:

Rising GPA trends are always good.
Read this:
Okay so I’ve now bookmarked that page I love it. Thank you so much!!! It made me feel a little more confident because I feel like my extracurriculars are going to be through the roof and my upward trend is helpful.
But does that mean it would be a waste of time to do the accelerated masters since my upward trend is really well then? Should I just focus on the MCAT and apply for after my undergrad? Or do you think it would be better if I did the masters and then focus on MCAT and apply? I’m so sorry to bother, thank you for always answering my questions.

Reactions: 1 user
Okay so I’ve now bookmarked that page I love it. Thank you so much!!! It made me feel a little more confident because I feel like my extracurriculars are going to be through the roof and my upward trend is helpful.
But does that mean it would be a waste of time to do the accelerated masters since my upward trend is really well then? Should I just focus on the MCAT and apply for after my undergrad? Or do you think it would be better if I did the masters and then focus on MCAT and apply? I’m so sorry to bother, thank you for always answering my questions.
A research type MS doesn't help for MD, but will for DO.

Reactions: 3 users
I thought just the fact that it’s a masters might help.
We expect everyone to get A's in a Master's. Anything less could hurt.
If you would do it anyway (without regard to your med school ap), go ahead.

Reactions: 4 users
We expect everyone to get A's in a Master's. Anything less could hurt.
If you would do it anyway (without regard to your med school ap), go ahead.
I would have only wanted to do it honestly if it would help my application just because I’m worried about my GPA being lower and the competition... that might not be a good reason though...

Reactions: 3 users
To be fair I have yet to find one premed who doesn’t believe they have killer EC
I feel like they will be good because 1000+ hours of clinical and 700+ of volunteering (prob more because I’m doing 15+ hours of volunteering a week, only more if I have time) but now that you said that I feel nervous and like I was being cocky hahahaha. Does volunteering with the International Refugee Committee look good? I’m working with refugees and once a month teach a class on basic health and hygiene and sometimes I try to teach the English classes too (not often am I able though). Or should I go towards more a clinical setting of volunteering? I’d like to stay with the IRC but I can cut down on the hours and spent the hours I would’ve spent there in a clinical setting.

I feel like they will be good because 1000+ hours of clinical and 700+ of volunteering (prob more because I’m doing 15+ hours of volunteering a week, only more if I have time) but now that you said that I feel nervous and like I was being cocky hahahaha. Does volunteering with the International Refugee Committee look good? I’m working with refugees and once a month teach a class on basic health and hygiene and sometimes I try to teach the English classes too (not often am I able though). Or should I go towards more a clinical setting of volunteering? I’d like to stay with the IRC but I can cut down on the hours and spent the hours I would’ve spent there in a clinical setting.
These are indeed killer ECs. But honeybee's comment about pre-meds in general is also correct.

Reactions: 1 users
These are indeed killer ECs. But honeybee's comment about pre-meds in general is also correct.
Is it a good idea to only stick with the IRC consistently until I am applying? Or would you suggest volunteering in other places? Also, I’m a CNA in a nursing home, is that good clinical experience? I work graveyard shifts during semesters in which I’m able to study the entire 8 hours because it is so quiet. That’s why I chose to work there.. but would being in a hospital be substantially better?
I’m so sorry to bother you, thank you again!!

Is it a good idea to only stick with the IRC consistently until I am applying? Or would you suggest volunteering in other places? Also, I’m a CNA in a nursing home, is that good clinical experience? I work graveyard shifts during semesters in which I’m able to study the entire 8 hours because it is so quiet. That’s why I chose to work there.. but would being in a hospital be substantially better?
I’m so sorry to bother you, thank you again!!
Always better to have at least one area where you have demonstrated passion and dedication. Continuing your work with the IRC will help show this, especially since the time commitment does not seem overbearing.