Would I be able to use this professor for my Science LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StarlessNight

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently working under a full-time chemistry professor as a learning assistant for his General Chemistry I and II courses, and I have been working under him for the past year. I answer students’ questions in class about the course content, I help grade exams, and I lead out-of-class sessions that focus on the chemistry topics covered that week.

I have a very good relationship with this professor, and I’m confident he’d write me a good letter. He can also attest to my ability in the subject.

However, I didn’t take this professor when I took General Chemistry I and II, so he wouldn’t be able to talk about my academic performance in the classes. The professor I did take for those classes, I’m not close with, although I did get A’s. Would it be okay to use the professor I’m currently working under to write my Science LOR?

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently working under a full-time chemistry professor as a learning assistant for his General Chemistry I and II courses, and I have been working under him for the past year. I answer students’ questions in class about the course content, I help grade exams, and I lead out-of-class sessions that focus on the chemistry topics covered that week.

I have a very good relationship with this professor, and I’m confident he’d write me a good letter. He can also attest to my ability in the subject.

However, I didn’t take this professor when I took General Chemistry I and II, so he wouldn’t be able to talk about my academic performance in the classes. The professor I did take for those classes, I’m not close with, although I did get A’s. Would it be okay to use the professor I’m currently working under to write my Science LOR?
While he should suffice at most schools, just be sure that schools you apply to do not specify professors that have taught you. Alternatively, use this professor as a 3rd letter and pick a different (hopefully upper-division) Science professor.

Reactions: 1 user
You should review the medical schools' websites, paying very close attention to which types of LOR letter writers are acceptable to each medical school.

1. Some medical schools specifically require LORs from faculty who have "actually taught you" - meaning you were enrolled as a student in a class taught by the professor.

2. Other medical schools accept LORs written by "faculty" - whether you were enrolled in, or not enrolled in a course taught by the professor. If a medical school accepts "faculty" letters, the chemistry professor's LOR will be fine.