Would like feedback on St. Vincent's- Toledo

Started by riosdsg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

riosdsg

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi
I really liked this program. I would like to get some feedback on St. Vincent's- Toledo .
Thank You!!!
 
I interviewed there and liked it. A couple scutwork reviews sound disgruntled, though. And if its on scutwork, it cant be wrong...or something.
I liked the faculty, really liked DSV.
Residents seemed really happy when I was there. Maybe worked a little harder than some places. Toledo was a minor drawback for me, but it aint so bad I guess.

So at least one other good impression here.
 
I interviewed there. It was my first interview, actually. The residents seemed really nice... but it just wasn't for me, hence it was the last program on my ROL.

Toledo wasn't that nice a city for me (from DC, lived in Ft. Lauderdale and now Tampa)... but the training there seemed adequate. I watched one of their grand rounds and the residents seemed to know their stuff.

I would base 99% of your decision on what YOU thought of the program, and not what random people on SDN think of it. Its getting pretty close to ROL time, and if you're unsure of a program or not, contact the PD, RC, or one of the residents.

Q, DO
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I spend a month there in August as an ER elective. I really liked the program. The residents seemed happy. I loved the amount of pre-hospital involvement as well as the aeromedical aspect. I too, was prepared to rank them highly until I read those scutwork posts. I emailed the writer of one of them directly to get some more info. All I can say is take others opionions with a grain of salt and make your own decision. Good luck.
 
I liked the program--will probably rank them around #3 maybe higher. The residents seem pretty happy there for the most part. I think 9 of them showed up for the pre-interview dinner, which says a lot for the camaraderie. I'm also pretty sure that the tab for the drinks was more than the tab for dinner🙂

The big standouts for me is that they really expect you to fly a lot, and I thougth they had the most resident friendly schedules out of everywhere that I interviewed. PGY2's and 3's work mostly the same shift for a whole month and have their schedule well in advance, which really facilitates moonlighting.

The resident's at ST. V's moonlight more than anywhere else I've been to, and one even mentioned he doubled is income.

I didn't like the fact that you interview with either the PD or the Dept. Chair but not both, and the Scutwork review freaked me out because if it's on Scutwork it HAS to be true.
🙄

Also a very DO friendly program if you need it.

This is one of those programs where the ER residency is the strongest in the hospital hence a lot is excpected out the emergency residents on off service rotations. I'm not sure if thats a plus or if it's better to have a number of strong off-service specialists to learn from--good question for a seperate thread, I guess.

--Wing
 
I have a very good friend at this program and from what I understand, he believes it to be a great program.
When I interviewed there two years ago, I liked the program quite a bit. I think there are many similarities to the program I am at today and I ended up ranking St. Vincents slightly lower than my current program, Wright State U.
Overall, it is well established and well respected...as all of the programs in Ohio are. It (like WSU) is the strongest program in the hospital, therefore making the EM resident highly respected and a vital part of any team.
And yes, it is very DO friendly.