Did anyone apply to the wright institute PsyD for fall 2019?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pkg123

Reaction score
hi guys. It’s my first post on here. The wright institute is mt number 1 choice for PsyD. I applied for admission for the upcoming 2019 fall semester. Has anyone applied and gotten an interview yet? I thought I could start this thread so we can all update each other during this process. Hope to hear from you guys!!

Members don't see this ad.

hi guys. It’s my first post on here. The wright institute is mt number 1 choice for PsyD. I applied for admission for the upcoming 2019 fall semester. Has anyone applied and gotten an interview yet? I thought I could start this thread so we can all update each other during this process. Hope to hear from you guys!!
Do you mean in Ohio?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Hey! I turned in my application near the deadline, and I received an invitation via email to schedule an interview. Have you received an update yet? Good luck!

Yeesh, $150,000 and cohorts >60.

Reactions: 2 users
In regards to the Wright Institute's reputation, where do you stand? I have heard that they produce excellent clinicians from my sources, but based on my research online, I have heard that they are not too well regarded?

In regards to the Wright Institute's reputation, where do you stand? I have heard that they produce excellent clinicians from my sources, but based on my research online, I have heard that they are not too well regarded?
The outcomes data isn't great. They take a lot of students each year, it's expensive, and their match rate isn't great.

Reactions: 1 users

You also have to factor in the cost of living in the Bay Area which is atrocious. If you’re going to go $200k in debt, you’re better off going to PGSP Stanford Consortium. The training is excellent there. Though, I still wouldn’t recommend it based on the cost.

The Wright has a good local reputation. I’ve worked with trainees and grads from the program - all have been solid. PGSP has a slightly better reputation, but I consider them pretty similar. A plus of the Bay is you’ll have access to many different types of training sites and exposure to a wide variety of diversity. If you’re from here you already know about the COL, if not it’ll likely be shocking.

The Wright has a good local reputation. I’ve worked with trainees and grads from the program - all have been solid. PGSP has a slightly better reputation, but I consider them pretty similar. A plus of the Bay is you’ll have access to many different types of training sites and exposure to a wide variety of diversity. If you’re from here you already know about the COL, if not it’ll likely be shocking.

Thank you for the response. I've lived in the bay area ever since I was 5 years old. I actually obtained my Bachelor of Science degree from PGSP's undergraduate program for the purpose of creating connections with the graduate faculty. However, as I continued doing research there (and at Stanford), I realized that I do not wish to continue doing research long-term which led me to my decision of applying to the Wright Institute. My only worry is job prospects due to the negative feedback I have read online (mostly this forum). Additionally, the tuition and debt worries me considerably. Mind if I ask how these students went about paying for their tuition?

Thank you, everyone!

You also have to factor in the cost of living in the Bay Area which is atrocious. If you’re going to go $200k in debt, you’re better off going to PGSP Stanford Consortium. The training is excellent there. Though, I still wouldn’t recommend it based on the cost.

I was considering that program, but I was dissuaded various factors. Otherwise, I have heard great things about the quality of its education.

Members don't see this ad :)
The outcomes data isn't great. They take a lot of students each year, it's expensive, and their match rate isn't great.

Thank you for the response! Upon further research: according to Wright, there has been a progressive increase in match rate. Price is astronomically mind boggling, however.

Have you ever had an opportunity to work with any graduates from that program?

Hey! I turned in my application near the deadline, and I received an invitation via email to schedule an interview. Have you received an update yet? Good luck!
Thanks for your response! When did you get the email to schedule an interview? And what interview dates did you have to choose from? I’m so nervous that I’m not going to get an interview :( I’m a Bay Area native and would love the opportunity to go to the wright institute. This wait is just killing me!

I feel it is my personal ethical obligation to strongly advise you against enrolling in a program where you would take on so much debt. I think it is hard to prospectively comprehend how in the hole you would be in our profession with over 150k of debt. For reference, I graduated from a fully funded PhD, have no debt, and am still quite stressed about the prospect of living in CA and living on a psychologist salary. Unless you are well off or someone is paying for your school, I would please avoid doing this to yourself! You are going to be in a world of hurt...and a lot of the routes people think will work to get out of it (ie gov repayment program) do not pan out as planned. Just my two cents!

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks for your response! When did you get the email to schedule an interview? And what interview dates did you have to choose from? I’m so nervous that I’m not going to get an interview :( I’m a Bay Area native and would love the opportunity to go to the wright institute. This wait is just killing me!

I received an email invitation on Jan. 17. They had various slots open in Feb (not sure about March) and we were tasked with choosing a timeslot that best worked for us. I chose to interview mid-Feb. I would give the admissions office a call! The director of admissions is a really swell guy! I hope you get in!

Thank you for the response! Upon further research: according to Wright, there has been a progressive increase in match rate. Price is astronomically mind boggling, however.

One of my colleagues who primarily does assessments graduated from Wright, and has a solid reputation and practice. I’d refer folks to her without hesitation.

The Wright Institute has a decent reputation in California, as far as I’ve seen. Outside of it (in here), you’ll hear the usual talk from folks unfamiliar with the program about costs, cohorts, matching, etc., but locally speaking, it doesn’t hurt you to have The Wright Institute on your CV when seeking jobs.

Reactions: 2 users
I received an email invitation on Jan. 17. They had various slots open in Feb (not sure about March) and we were tasked with choosing a timeslot that best worked for us. I chose to interview mid-Feb. I would give the admissions office a call! The director of admissions is a really swell guy! I hope you get in!
Ughh, im so stressed out. I don't think i will get an interview :( You got yours so early on, and on grad cafe most people got interview invites before Feb. I am feel so discouraged now. I called the Wright Institute to speak with Johnny and ask him about the last day that invites will be sent out, but he wasn't at his desk. I hope I can get some answers.

One of my colleagues who primarily does assessments graduated from Wright, and has a solid reputation and practice. I’d refer folks to her without hesitation.

The Wright Institute has a decent reputation in California, as far as I’ve seen. Outside of it (in here), you’ll hear the usual talk from folks unfamiliar with the program about costs, cohorts, matching, etc., but locally speaking, it doesn’t hurt you to have The Wright Institute on your CV when seeking jobs.

Thanks for your response. I am a bay area native, and I think Wright is a very good school for PsyD in the area. It is my first choice, and I really hope I get in :(

It does not have a good reputation farther up the coast, just an FYI for portability.
Thanks for the info! I plan on staying in California so I’m not too worried about that.

My only worry is job prospects due to the negative feedback I have read online (mostly this forum). Additionally, the tuition and debt worries me considerably. Mind if I ask how these students went about paying for their tuition?

Thank you, everyone!

I’m not sure how the folks I know paid for tuition, and others have said, the debt will likely be quite high so it’s “good” that you’re considerably worried. Regarding job prospects, the Wright grads I know had no problem finding clinical jobs.

Has anyone else applied to wright and gotten an interview so far?

Hey did you have your interview yet? If so, how was it? I’m still waiting to hear back :(

Hey did you have your interview yet? If so, how was it? I’m still waiting to hear back :(

Hey there,

I'm interviewing this week! I'll get back to you afterwards. Have you x2 checked your inbox/spam? One of my colleagues found her invitation in her spam folder before. I hope you receive the invite!

Hey there,

I'm interviewing this week! I'll get back to you afterwards. Have you x2 checked your inbox/spam? One of my colleagues found her invitation in her spam folder before. I hope you receive the invite!
The admissions director told me that I would find out by this week. Once you interview can you tell me what kind of questions your were asked? I really appreciate it! And Goodluck on the interview :)

The admissions director told me that I would find out by this week. Once you interview can you tell me what kind of questions your were asked? I really appreciate it! And Goodluck on the interview :)

Hello,

I just interviewed earlier this week. I hope you heard back from them! Let me know you have any other questions :)

Their match rate has improved because they have a captured internship. FWIW, we weight applicants from the Wright lower than other applicants when we do our rankings because of some of the deficiencies seen cohort after cohort in regard to flexibility and implementation of theoretical knowledge.

Their match rate has improved because they have a captured internship. FWIW, we weight applicants from the Wright lower than other applicants when we do our rankings because of some of the deficiencies seen cohort after cohort in regard to flexibility and implementation of theoretical knowledge.

Just out of curiosity, are you speaking from the perspective of someone within the same state or out of state?

Same. We were further up the coast in a different state at our site. We had a "blacklist" of programs and this was on it.

Same. We were further up the coast in a different state at our site. We had a "blacklist" of programs and this was on it.

They hadn’t quite made it to our blacklist but it was pretty close for a while as to whether or not to put them on it.