Writing NBDE Part 1 in March or April 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Truth seeker

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Final days of preparation . Anybody who has scheduled to take the exam in a few weeks from now by end of March or April, please come together and discuss questions and clear as many doubts as possible . This thread is to motivate and share experience and elaborate on those aspects of part 1 that are tricky .

A request to people who are looking for study partners , kindly do not post in this thread, else this thread will again end up there .

Members don't see this ad.

please can anyone explain effect of phosphorylation on enzymes...in short,does phosphorylation support or inhibit glycolysis?
Also please elaborate on below 2 statements..
Insulin lowers cAMP levels
AMP and insulin activate phosphofructokinase.
if insulin lowers amp,dont they act in different directions?

i think it's sustain extrafusal muscle contraction,
causemuscle spindles desn't protect the muscle.
and the discharge to muscle spindle doesn't inhibit.
correct me if i'm wrong.
user_offline.gif

:sleep::idea::idea:help on this one...............
hi terminal,
this one pls
Clinical examination reveals that lingual cusp of tooth#5 is brokn off.this is most likely due to which mandibular movement??
1.left mesiotrusive
2.right mesiotrusive
3.left laterotrusive
4.right laterotrusive

the answer is A but i fail to understand.
when we talk about left mesiotrusive does it not mean that it is right laterotrusive??

pls explain:eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
:luck: phosphorylase helps insulin so it must be against glycolysis
please can anyone explain effect of phosphorylation on enzymes...in short,does phosphorylation support or inhibit glycolysis?
Also please elaborate on below 2 statements..
Insulin lowers cAMP levels
AMP and insulin activate phosphofructokinase.
if insulin lowers amp,dont they act in different directions?

:luck:I think so too,because it's action is excitatory and not inhibition,also it doesnt protect like golgy so I think u r right,although not sure.
i think it's sustain extrafusal muscle contraction,
causemuscle spindles desn't protect the muscle.
and the discharge to muscle spindle doesn't inhibit.
correct me if i'm wrong.
user_offline.gif

is there enough time left to apply for this year if we take it in july,or u r applyin for east coast?
hey terminal...
how u doin !!
wana wish ya gud luck in ur exam ,,u can do it !!! i bet u can...
well ill appear in july but dont know when yet,,maybe by end of july...iam doin anatomy now only,,,what about u truthseeker! anyay u guys take care....study good its our last chance we better nail da exam guuuuuuud :> :> :>

:luck:where do u get asdas?I have their sample tests ,but I have memorized them so i know the answers ,how can u guys score yourself,is there s.thin i;m missin? help
My exam is in 10days..Right now i am doing asda papers and scoring in b/w 65 to 75.this is my second attempt..Should i take the exam?or i ve to postponed it? any suggestions?
thanks ..

:luck:can u plsssssssssssss tell me y didn't u choose natural killer cell option and u chose this one?
Each of the following is conditio usually found in a mutually protected occlusion, in the normal upright position, Except one. Which one is this exception?
A) None of the posterior teeth contact on the non-working side when the mandible move laterally.
B) Anterior teeth disocclude all posterior teeth during protrusion

C) Condyles are in their most supero anterior position in closure.
D) Anterior teeth contact more heavily than the posterior teeth.(answer)
E) Axial loading of occlusal forces occurs in closure.

) Which of the following statements describes an example of innate immunity?

A. An allergic reaction to insect venom
B. The classical pathway of complement
C Distruction of virus infected cells bye killer T cells

D. The production of IgG in response to insect venom
E. The alternative pathway of complement (answer)

:luck: phosphorylase helps insulin so it must be against glycolysis
thanks for the reply,but insulin is a dephosphorylated enzyme..also insulin activates PFK which helps in glycolysis.Correct me if im wrong..

can someone explain these..

Non articulating surfaces of TMJ covered by
articulating surfaces of TMJ covered by?
which part of TMJ innervated
nerves arteries.

or anything interesting related to TMJ u know please jot down here..because this is the most important topic..

can someone explain these..

Non articulating surfaces of TMJ covered by
articulating surfaces of TMJ covered by?
which part of TMJ innervated
nerves arteries.

or anything interesting related to TMJ u know please jot down here..because this is the most important topic..

TMJ
is a compund joint
unique feature of articular disc is -fibrocartilageous

1)Soln A has a pH of 7.0, & soln B has a pH of 6.0. Both the solns are of equal vol. Which of the following statement about solutions A and B is most accurate

A. A has 1/10 as many hydrogen ions as B
B. A has 10 times more hydrogen ions than B
C. A has 7/6 of the hydrogen ion conc of B
D. A has 6/7 of the hydrogen ion conc of B

2)A drug has a pK of 6.4. At a pH of 7.4, which of the following approximates the ratio of the unprotonated form(i.e. D-/HD)?

A. 0
B. 0.1
C. 1
D. 10

Ans is D.

Please explain how to solve these questions?

3) Cell Bodies of sympathetic fibers in the nerve of pterygoid canal come from which of the following?

A) Facial N
B) Sup Cervical ganglion
C) Greater petrosal N
D) Otic ganglion
E) Glossopharyngeal N

4) How many pulp horns does each tooth have?
I didnt find this topic anywhere in decks....or Kaplan.....Please help....I have my exam coming up in few days....

Last edited:
1)Soln A has a pH of 7.0, & soln B has a pH of 6.0. Both the solns are of equal vol. Which of the following statement about solutions A and B is most accurate

A. A has 1/10 as many hydrogen ions as B
B. A has 10 times more hydrogen ions than B
C. A has 7/6 of the hydrogen ion conc of B
D. A has 6/7 of the hydrogen ion conc of B

2)A drug has a pK of 6.4. At a pH of 7.4, which of the following approximates the ratio of the unprotonated form(i.e. D-/HD)?

A. 0
B. 0.1
C. 1
D. 10

Ans is D.

Please explain how to solve these questions?

3) Cell Bodies of sympathetic fibers in the nerve of pterygoid canal come from which of the following?

A) Facial N
B) Sup Cervical ganglion (answer)
C) Greater petrosal N
D) Otic ganglion
E) Glossopharyngeal N

4) How many pulp horns does each tooth have?
I didnt find this topic anywhere in decks....or Kaplan.....Please help....I have my exam coming up in few days....

correct me if am wrong with sources / expln pls

Members don't see this ad :)
few doubts pls help ,lets discuss .

1. each of the following muscle usually appears in the floor of the posterior triangle except one.which is the exception?
a.sternohyroid
b.medius scalene
c.splenius capitis
d.levator scapulae
e.ant. belly of omohyoid (sup/ inf ?)

2.3 days ago pt received her 3rd immunization with tetanus toxoid .what class of antibodies specific for Tetanus toxoid would one expect in her serum
-similar conc of IgM and IgG
-high conc of IgM and IgG
-low IgM and high IgE
-low IgM and high IgG (answer) - pls explain why
-high IgM and low IgG

hi i am foregn trained dentist and i am an american citizen and i would like to take the nbde part 1 but what do i need to do step by step and what r the books that i need to study so i can get a 90 or over please can somebody help me
:(

:luck:can u plsssssssssssss tell me y didn't u choose natural killer cell option and u chose this one?
Which of the following statements describes an example of innate immunity?

A. An allergic reaction to insect venom
B. The classical pathway of complement
C Distruction of virus infected cells bye killer T cells

D. The production of IgG in response to insect venom
E. The alternative pathway of complement (answer)
the alternative passway doesn't use antibody so this is the innate way.and this the right answer.
and natural killer is a T lymphocyte even though it's from innate immunity, so the best answer i think is acquired immunity.

Last edited:
few doubts pls help ,lets discuss .

1. each of the following muscle usually appears in the floor of the posterior triangle except one.which is the exception?
a.sternohyroid
b.medius scalene
c.splenius capitis
d.levator scapulae
e.ant. belly of omohyoid (sup/ inf ?)

2.3 days ago pt received her 3rd immunization with tetanus toxoid .what class of antibodies specific for Tetanus toxoid would one expect in her serum
-similar conc of IgM and IgG
-high conc of IgM and IgG
-low IgM and high IgE
-low IgM and high IgG (answer) - pls explain why
-high IgM and low IgG
thruth seeker i think is sternothyroid because it's in the anterior portion of the neck
he has high igG because it's the 3rd immunization, if it was the first it will be high igM, and never u'll have concentration iGM = IGG.

Absence of the inhibitor of the C1 component
of complement in man may result in​
1. multiple myeloma.
2. lupus erythematosis.
3. angioneurotic edema.
4. rheumatoid arthritis.​
5. paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria.

hi,
the answer is 2.can anybody pls exlain.there was another question which said if you are having gonococcal infecton C5,6,7 have problem.
i can't understand both these questions.how do you relate diseases and complement system.
anybody plssss.

thruth seeker i think is sternothyroid because it's in the anterior portion of the neck
he has high igG because it's the 3rd immunization, if it was the first it will be high igM, and never u'll have concentration iGM = IGG.

thanks
i got the 2nd q
but the first one , definitely sternohyoid is the not the posterior triangle, but my doubt is inferior belly of omohyoid = ant. belly of omohyoid ? is it???

Absence of the inhibitor of the C1 component
of complement in man may result in​
1. multiple myeloma.
2. lupus erythematosis.
3. angioneurotic edema.
4. rheumatoid arthritis.​
5. paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria.

hi,
the answer is 2.can anybody pls exlain.there was another question which said if you are having gonococcal infecton C5,6,7 have problem.
i can't understand both these questions.how do you relate diseases and complement system.
anybody plssss.

anniestar,
autoimmune diseases , complements play a role in them .

coming to the question , if am not wrong, the answer is not 2 its 3, where C1 deficiency plays a role .

anniestar,
autoimmune diseases , complements play a role in them .

coming to the question , if am not wrong, the answer is not 2 its 3, where C1 deficiency plays a role .

hey truthseeker,
the answer gvn in key is 2.
regarding my other doubt gonococcal infection is not an autoimmune disorder then how can we say that C5,6,7 has problem during this infection.
pls clarify

Just google on SDN,u will find more information than you need.all about books exams,everything.
things u need to do
1.ECE
2.TOEFL
3.NBDE
all the best

thank u very much but can u explain what is ECE and is it necessary to do TOEFL i mean before the NBDE and does this mean that if i dont do it that i cannot enter the NBDE
THANKS

the books that i have r
1- Mosbys review for nbde part 1
2- first aid for the nbde part 1
3-kaplan medical dentessentials

r these books useful or i am just wasting my time

and what r the books that i need to study to get a 90 because i feel lost

1.each of teh following structures is normally exhibited by mandibular incisors except one, which is the exception
a.cingula
b.mamelons
c.lingual fossae
d.marginal ridge
e,imbrication lines

2.Which cusp is tallest and best developed in primary mandibular 1st molar?
-ML
-DF
-DL
-MB

3.the contact area that is most nearly circularis lcated on the crown of which of the following max pm?
-mesial of 1st
-distal of 1st
-mesial of second
-distal of second

4.the max canine has a mid-root cs outline which differs from c.s. at teh cervical areamainly in which of teh follwoing ways?
-more ovoid outline
-more square oult;ine
-more rectangular outline
-much greater FL dimension
-greater flatness of its facial and lingual outlines

5.which of the following soft tissues are found are found in spaces among cancellous bones ?
-myeloid
-lymphoid
-glandular
-mucoid connective tissue
-areolar connective

6. Right sided heart failure without involvement of left side of the heart occurs most often with which of teh following conditions?
-cor pulmonale
-valvular defects
-diffuse myocarditis
-myocardial infarction
-chr passive congestion of liver

7.which of teh following diseases can be classified as endogenous infection?
-syphilis
-dysentry
-gas gangrene
-scarlet fever
-Subacute infectious bacterial endocarditis

Also wanted to clarify - the tallest and / or largest(biggest) cusps in mand and max molar

Endogenous infection I think is sub acute bacterial endocarditis because it is caused by St viridans,a normal oral pathogen.correct me if I'm wrong

1.each of teh following structures is normally exhibited by mandibular incisors except one, which is the exception
a.cingula
b.mamelons
c.lingual fossae
d.marginal ridge
e,imbrication lines (ans not sure may becoz all others are surface features)

-ML ans
-DF
-DL
-MB

3.the contact area that is most nearly circularis lcated on the crown of which of the following max pm?
-mesial of 1st
-distal of 1st
-mesial of second
-distal of second ans

4.the max canine has a mid-root cs outline which differs from c.s. at teh cervical areamainly in which of teh follwoing ways?
-more ovoid outline ans
-more square oult;ine

5.which of the following soft tissues are found are found in spaces among cancellous bones ?
-myeloid
-lymphoid may be
-glandular
-areolar connective

6. Right sided heart failure without involvement of left side of the heart occurs most often with which of teh following conditions?
-cor pulmonale
-valvular defects
-diffuse myocarditis
-myocardial infarction
-chr passive congestion of liver
either cor pulmonale or congestion of liver....

-syphilis
-dysentry
-gas gangrene
-scarlet fever
-Subacute infectious bacterial endocarditis ans

Also wanted to clarify - the tallest and / or largest(biggest) cusps in mand and max molar

tallest mandibular is mesiolingual largest mesiobuccal

tallest maxillary is mesiobuccal and largest is mesiolingual

plzzz correct me if wrong

thank u very much but can u explain what is ECE and is it necessary to do TOEFL i mean before the NBDE and does this mean that if i dont do it that i cannot enter the NBDE
THANKS

ECE is education credential evaluation,u need to get ur marks cards evaluated here in US to get GPA
you cangive nbde without toefl but you cannot apply to colleges without your toefl score.

guys plzz help me on this if DNA has a codon sequence of ACG ..what will be the corresponding sequnces on mRNA and tRNA be?

i am pretty sure mRNA would be UGC..what bot tRNA?

tallest mandibular is mesiolingual largest mesiobuccal

tallest maxillary is mesiobuccal and largest is mesiolingual

plzzz correct me if wrong

a.cingula
b.mamelons
c.lingual fossae
d.marginal ridge
e,imbrication lines

-ML(agreed)
-DF
-DL
-MB

-mesial of 1st
-distal of 1st
-mesial of second
-distal of second (correct)

-more ovoid outline
-more square oult;ine

-myeloid( guess this one)
-lymphoid
-glandular
-areolar connective (somebody answered this, dunno why)

-cor pulmonale (it causes rt heart failure , yes ! )
-valvular defects
-diffuse myocarditis
-myocardial infarction
-chr passive congestion of liver ( i guess this is a better fitting answer )
I dont know , lets come up with the rt answer...........

-syphilis
-dysentry
-gas gangrene
-scarlet fever
-Subacute infectious bacterial endocarditis

thanks terminal , for answering , whats ur source on cusp sizes, thats the last thing i want to be confused about before taking this Exam .

max molar , i guess its ML , thats tallest + largest
mand molar, ML being tallest , MB the largest

guys plzz help me on this if DNA has a codon sequence of ACG ..what will be the corresponding sequnces on mRNA and tRNA be?

i am pretty sure mRNA would be UGC..what bot tRNA?

considering my li'll knowledge in genetics , let me try .

lets say DNA - strand has 5' ACG 3' , right , thats wat u meant ?
corresponding codon on mRNA will have - UGC as u correctly mentioned but written as 5' CGU 3'
now tRNA 5' ACG 3'

pls correct me if am wrong !

guys pls come forward and lets help each other ans as many questions correctly as possible

1.which of the following describes proper axial inclination of palatal root of a max 2nd molar ?
-vertical
-mesial n lingual
- mesial n facial
-distal n facial
-distal ans lingual

2.from an occlusal view, which anatomical features are frequently found on both primary max 1st and 2nd molars ?
-4 major cusp evident
-oblique ridges well developed
-marginal ridges well developed
-outline forms are rectangular in shape
-crown converges distal n lingual

3.the most convex incisal angle on anterior teeth is found on which angle of which incisor ?
-disto-incisal of Max lateral
-" of mand lateral
-" of max central

4.which of the following position the condyle in the most superior anterior position ?
-masseter + digastric
-masseter + med ptrygoid
-temporalis + scm
-temporalis + sup head lat pterygoid
-med pterygoid+ SCM

the most convex incisal angle on anterior teeth is found on which angle of which incisor ?
-" of mand lateral
-" of max central

the most convex incisal angle on anterior teeth is found on which angle of which incisor ?
-" of mand lateral
-" of max central
thanks for confirming rose82 .
i thought the same too . i saw somebody answering mand , lateral though , so wanted to confirm !
pls try other q's too

guys pls come forward and lets help each other ans as many questions correctly as possible

1.which of the following describes proper axial inclination of palatal root of a max 2nd molar ?
-vertical
-mesial n lingual
- mesial n facial
-distal n facial
-distal ans lingual

2.from an occlusal view, which anatomical features are frequently found on both primary max 1st and 2nd molars ?
-4 major cusp evident
-oblique ridges well developed
-marginal ridges well developed
-outline forms are rectangular in shape
-crown converges distal n lingual

3.the most convex incisal angle on anterior teeth is found on which angle of which incisor ?
-" of mand lateral
-" of max central

4.which of the following position the condyle in the most superior anterior position ?
-masseter + digastric
-masseter + med ptrygoid
-temporalis + scm
-temporalis + sup head lat pterygoid
-med pterygoid+ SCM

i've been trying to find the answer for the 1st one from wheelers...but its very tricky
I think it is distal.
Facial or lingual is what im confused about..
can someone pls help

Last edited:
IS IT ENOUGH IF WE DO DENTAL ABATOMY FROM KAPLAN AND nbde and decks???i m retakin i got very less in denytal anatomy and anatomy in forst attempt ..please suggest...

cigarette smoking is linked to each of the following cancers except one. which one is the exception?

A)larynx
B)esophagus
C)stomach
D)pancreas
E)urinary bladder

i thought smoking causes all these... in wiki its mentioned that urinary bladder cancer is caused by tobacco smoking... so is that the answer??? anybody?

cigarette smoking is linked to each of the following cancers except one. which one is the exception?

A)larynx
B)esophagus
C)stomach
D)pancreas
E)urinary bladder

i thought smoking causes all these... in wiki its mentioned that urinary bladder cancer is caused by tobacco smoking... so is that the answer??? anybody?

hey you are correct all of the options seem to be related to cancer due to smoking.tobacco is present in cigarette . can anybody pls help us and point out what logic to apply here . is it asda question ?

thanks

IS IT ENOUGH IF WE DO DENTAL ABATOMY FROM KAPLAN AND nbde and decks???i m retakin i got very less in denytal anatomy and anatomy in forst attempt ..please suggest...

i'll only b able to comment once am done , but from what ppl said earlier who took tests recently , Kaplan and Decks should be fine !

i've been trying to find the answer for the 1st one from wheelers...but its very tricky
I think it is distal.
Facial or lingual is what im confused about..
can someone pls help

hey thanks for the help .
its distal and lingual(since it cannot be facial) i guess .]
pls let me know if am wrong .

hey you are correct all of the options seem to be related to cancer due to smoking.tobacco is present in cigarette . can anybody pls help us and point out what logic to apply here . is it asda question ?

thanks

its stomach cancer!100%sure on this

guys an N series ques number 363 is

in a patient hypothyroidism would lead to ...ans is increased renal calcium excretion!!
how is it possible..coz body would save calcium..isnt it or m i wrong somewhr!
please help!

its stomach cancer!100%sure on this

guys an N series ques number 363 is

in a patient hypothyroidism would lead to ...ans is increased renal calcium excretion!!
how is it possible..coz body would save calcium..isnt it or m i wrong somewhr!
please help!

thanks for confirming terminal ! where is it given coz i checked atleast 3 sites where they said stomach cancer though , nowhere in my notes stomach cancer
is there .

Hey terminal ,isnt it true N series has only 200 , so which Q from which series are you
talking about ? or am i missing some thing ???

thanks for confirming terminal ! where is it given coz i checked atleast 3 sites where they said stomach cancer though , nowhere in my notes stomach cancer
is there .

Hey terminal ,isnt it true N series has only 200 , so which Q from which series are you
talking about ? or am i missing some thing ???

so sorry for this confusion its actully L series ques,

so sorry for this confusion its actully L series ques,

its alright buddy

i checked 363(L) , and in the Q its hyperparathyroidism .
so i was confused between increased intestinal calcium absorption and increased phosphate excretion .

one of the action of PTH on kidneys is to increase resorption of calcium at the distal tubules , thereby increasing the serum calcium . here if renal threshold for Calcium is increased , then it is also excreted along with phosphate .

this what i thought , pls do correct me if am wrong anywhere .

thanks to all