Writing NBDE Part 1 in November/December 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bddsgirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

All of you folks who are writing NBDE Part 1 in November/December 2009, come and share your knowledge. I have just started my preparation in May.

I did my Graduation in 2007 from India. So the subjects I m studying now were studied by me 5-6 years back.

So lets make a study plan and study together.

God Bless All of Us

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys........

which set it released papers r u refering....there is stuff like i-m , i-l pilot , i-k , i -j which seem to be the most recent....r u guys doing the older exams dec 87,88 and stuff??????????

I have I-A,B,C,D,E,F,G,J................I have from 1989-2003.....But I dont know what is the difference between I-A or I-J........Can you tell me the difference......

Hey....I am finished with Biochem And Physio with one time learning and did the dental decks for them...........I am going to give these subjects one revision again....and then solve ASDA Released Exams........So it took me two months to do all this.....I will be finished with these two subjects by the end of June and will start Micro from July........

Dentical, What topic are you studying now? How is your preparation going?

Members don't see this ad :)
heyyy bddsgirl...........!!!!!!!!!

I-A ,I-J are just the ASDA labels for all the exams...i think I-A is 1977 , I-J is more recent 1996 so on and so forth...!!!!

my prep is a bit slow....it's diff to manage a baby n study...but i am giving atleast 1-2 hrs daily right now....will do more as i get into the study mode...!!!!!!! :xf::xf: doing cardio ....hope i finish in 3-4 days ....want to finish physio by the month end.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Hey Dentical,

I know it is so hard to manage a baby and study.....I can totally understand....but dont worry even I am not getting much time to study these days.....so I think we will increase the hours slowly......so hopefully you finish your Physio by the end of this month....

I am still revising Physio...did Cardio and respiration today......have to revise whole Physio and Biochem by the end of this month......

I am starting Micro next....wat subject are you starting next?

bddsgirl.

I am also from punjab and planning to give my exam in november this year. I am just starting to prepare for the exam. I will also start with Physio/bio-chem. Let me know what sources you are reading from. I have decks and NBDE first Aid.
Where do you live. I am in New York.

ANy one in New York looking to study together. Let me know. We can do this..

Good luck to All.

Cheers.

Aspirant DDS,

I have also booked my test in November, But I am done with DA....I did Biochemistry and Physiology too and I am giving a second revision to these subjects now till the end of this month.....and then I am going to start Micro from July....

So I study from my text books like DA from Wheelers, Biochem from Rana Shinde and Physio from Sembulingam, Micro frm Anantnarayan,....and so on.....

I study thoroughly from my books and then I do Dental decks...I actually memorize them and then I solve ASDA papers.....

I have also ordered NBDE First-Aid Part 1 and Kaplan Dentessentials...but I will read them at the end as a part of revision.....

So what all are you studying from....

Hey Guys,

I am still doing revision for Biochem and Physio. I thought revision will be quick...but it is taking a lot of time.....sometimes it is disappointing as when I am revising it seems like I read it a long time back......I still have to solve ASDA Papers for Biochem and Physio by the end of this month.......hope to get that done...

Hey Dentical, how is your preparation going?

@bddsgirl

I have started with Physio. I think it is my weakest link but I think it is easy as well as compared to other sections.. I first was doing physio from BDE first AID but I changed it to USMLE step 1 notes and Guyton. My target is to finish Physio by Saturday.

Then I will move on to Bio. Not sure what text book I should follow for Bio.

Which city do you live in? May be we can talk some time? it will be helpful.

thanks

Hey Aspirant DDS,
I live in canada.....So finishing physio by saturday is great.....it took me one month to finish it....I never read Guyton....
so tell me is NBDE First-Aid a good book to read?

Hey Guys,

I am done with my second revision for Physio.......Yeaahhhh.....and its time for second revision for Biochem....its sooooo boring.....but have to do it......Well I hope to finish it within 2 days......

So how are you all doing with your preparations.......not much response from you guys....come on guys....BUCK UP !!!

I am also writing my exam by dec...u mentioned u did dental anatomy from wheelers, we did it from orban and tencate in our school. If i start wheelers now, will i be able to follow it? Do u read the text books or thoroughly memorize everything in text books? I've just started my studies with anatomy...it's going slow but hope to get pace by time...we can ask and discuss questions once we are prepared.

NBDE First aid is good book if you know the concepts very well. I would use it for revision. I thought I wil complete Physio by tomorrow but I was wrong. It will take me another good 2-3 days to fully grasp it.

I am onto BIO next.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also writing my exam by dec...u mentioned u did dental anatomy from wheelers, we did it from orban and tencate in our school. If i start wheelers now, will i be able to follow it? Do u read the text books or thoroughly memorize everything in text books? I've just started my studies with anatomy...it's going slow but hope to get pace by time...we can ask and discuss questions once we are prepared.

Hey buenochica, I would suggest you to read from your own text books......because the knowledge is hopefully same in all of them....do not go for a new text book unless you did not like your own text books....

Wheelers is a very good book....it is very easy to understand except for few chapters which we do not need to do......

I thoroughly understand and then memorize the important points from my text books......

Sure we can do that.......right now I am studying 4-5 hours daily.....i am not very satisfied with my pace though.......I am thinking getting up early in the morning would help.....Oh God...i hate getting up early in the morning......but i definitely have to increase my hours daily......

NBDE First aid is good book if you know the concepts very well. I would use it for revision. I thought I wil complete Physio by tomorrow but I was wrong. It will take me another good 2-3 days to fully grasp it.

I am onto BIO next.

I know this Biochem is taking too long......and it is soooooo boring.....and this is my second revision.....but My God!!!!! it feels like I am reading it for the first time......everytime I try to remember something from the last chapter I always have to go back and look......Will I ever remember and retain Biochem???

I thought revision would be quicker...but noooooo.....it is taking forever...I have dedicated 3 more days for Biochem.....and then I have to do ASDA Papers......I hope I finish this in 3 days.....

Thank you so much bddsgirl! u've been an inspiration...i thought it'll be hard to study after marriage but now looking at all u brave girls i feel i can do too...yeah study hrs need to be increased i'll do tht frm 1st july inshallah...cld u plz tell me which chapters we don't need to do frm wheelers? if tht won't be much of a pb fr u...thanks once again :)

Thank you so much bddsgirl! u've been an inspiration...i thought it'll be hard to study after marriage but now looking at all u brave girls i feel i can do too...yeah study hrs need to be increased i'll do tht frm 1st july inshallah...cld u plz tell me which chapters we don't need to do frm wheelers? if tht won't be much of a pb fr u...thanks once again :)

Hi Buenochica,

We all have to be inspirations for each other.....this is a hard journey....but we have to come out of it with flying colours.....MAY GOD BLESS ALL OF US

No, its not hard to study after marriage.......nothing is hard....we just need strong determination and will power......and always keep that thing in mind..........

So, from wheelers I think we dont need to read Chapter 4 about forensics and some topics like tooth drawing and measurements of teeth, and from chapter 5 we just need to know about proximal contact areas(which are very important), embrasures are important.....

I did not like the chapter on Occlusion from wheelers......it is better if you read Occlusion from Kaplan, dental decks or whatever other reference book you have......Dont read wheelers for it......

So are you starting your preparation from July?

Hey Guys,

Today was one of those days when nothing goes right for you.......could not get up early in the morning......did not get to study at all....had one of my friend very sick in the hospital......spent my whole day with her......But I am glad she is fine now....

So tomorrow i am going to get up at 7 am ( which IS EARLY for me )......and will finish revising some part of Biochem.....and I am going to study for atleast 7 hours tomorrow.....

Strange things are happening to me now-a-days.....when I start falling sleep I start talking about some Biochem or I dont know what weird topics in my mind.....I dont speak loud but I start memorizing something in my mind which I do not understand at all......and when I get up I still find my mind memorizing some thing.......and if I try to remember what I was talking it does not make any sense to me.......so I just hope I do not go mental.......

So I will go to sleep now.......and hope we all get to study a LOTTTTT tomorrow.......

Finally !! I was able to finish my physio today. even though i dont remember anything I will revise it tomorrow and do some questions to see if my concepts are holding up. Its been 7 long years since i graduated. WOW i never thought I will study this again. :)

Hey Aspirant DDS,

Very good........So are you starting Biochem next? Which book are you following for that........and yes, revision is very important.......

I am STILL doing Biochem revision.......I hope to finish this REVISION by tuesday.......I dont know why this revision is taking so long.......

And then I am onto Micro from 1st of July......

I still have to do some papers for Physio and Biochem to see where I stand.........

Today was a good day for me......I have studied 6 hours since morning and I have still have at least 3 more hours to study.......This always happens with me.....one day I study for lets say 9 hours and then next day its only 4 hours......I wish I would be more consistent........its just that this boring biochem has no end to it........

So, going back into my books.........

I am writing the exam in Nov/Dec 2009 . do you know how I can find ( buy) the previous released exams.

[
QUOTE=bddsgirl;8344628]Hi Buenochica,

We all have to be inspirations for each other.....this is a hard journey....but we have to come out of it with flying colours.....MAY GOD BLESS ALL OF US

No, its not hard to study after marriage.......nothing is hard....we just need strong determination and will power......and always keep that thing in mind..........

So, from wheelers I think we dont need to read Chapter 4 about forensics and some topics like tooth drawing and measurements of teeth, and from chapter 5 we just need to know about proximal contact areas(which are very important), embrasures are important.....

I did not like the chapter on Occlusion from wheelers......it is better if you read Occlusion from Kaplan, dental decks or whatever other reference book you have......Dont read wheelers for it......

So are you starting your preparation from July?[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much for ur reply! u r right we just need determination and will power nothing is impossible...yeah i'll start my preparation frm july, im jst done with neuroanatomy, and half of head and neck anatomy but frm 1st july i'll get serious...thanks for ur help...it's really good to hv such frnds who help in constructive way :)...may God help u achieve ur target

HI,

Can anyone tell me if I choose lipincott for bio chem then do i need to study this book from cover to cover or there are some chapters which can be left? Can someone guide me on important topics and chapters to study in biochem.

Thanks.

hey f.khan,

I have not studied from lipincott and have never seen it.....so I cannot tell you anything about it.......

Hey Aspirant DDS,

Very good........So are you starting Biochem next? Which book are you following for that........and yes, revision is very important.......

I am STILL doing Biochem revision.......I hope to finish this REVISION by tuesday.......I dont know why this revision is taking so long.......
==================================================

Hey, I am still revising Physio. I was doing questions from previous exams and USMLE Notes. This is clearing my concepts more now. I think my respiration and Circulation is much better now.

Tomorrow, I will start Bio from USMLE notes and Lippincott. I heard these are good source for Bio-Chem.

Hey f.khan,

I am doing Biochem from my text book from India.....thats from where I read it back then...so I am reading it from there......Its written by Rana Shinde......and then I am doing decks along with it......

Hey Guys,
How are your studies going?

I am still not finished with the revision of Biochem......and I have to start Micro from tomorrow....So I think I am going to start Micro from tomorrow and then revise biochem for 2 hours every night......sounds like a plan.......hmmmm

Hey, what materials are you guys following for Micro........

Hey Guys,

I am onto Micro now......it seems hard especially when I am reading it after 7 years......still on the basic concepts.....I am reading it from my own text book though.....where are you guys reading Micro from?

I am planning to do Micro from Decks, NBDE First aid and will reference USMLE notes. Not sure if this is right path. ANy suggestions welcome.

Currently I am focusing on Bio.

hello guys iam gona take da exam by oct...well iam just studyin decks and released papers and some form first aid,,,i hope those r enough,,,any way anyone here in NORTH CAROLINA near raleigh region pls?????????????????????????????????
thanks
my email is [email protected]

hi, i also completed by degree in 2007 n goin to appear in dec. its really tuff to sit n study 4 hrs. but tryin hard. have u joined sum institute 4 coachin. n i m interested in studyin together. lukin forward 4 ur reply.
Hey,

All of you folks who are writing NBDE Part 1 in November/December 2009, come and share your knowledge. I have just started my preparation in May.

I did my Graduation in 2007 from India. So the subjects I m studying now were studied by me 5-6 years back.

So lets make a study plan and study together.

God Bless All of Us

hi, i also completed by degree in 2007 n goin to appear in dec. its really tuff to sit n study 4 hrs. but tryin hard. have u joined sum institute 4 coachin. n i m interested in studyin together. lukin forward 4 ur reply.

Hey Payal,

Yeah it is hard to sit for hours but we have to do this......this time is too precious....we should not waste it.....because this time wont come again.......so try your best.......No, I did not join any institute....I am just studying from my text books, decks and ASDA papers............

I am already done with one DA, Physio and Biochem......I have started Micro now......

God, its really hard to study all these subjects after such a long time..........

hey guys, this is Vaibhav here...and im an ongoing dental intern aspiring for DDS. good to c that u guys are preparing for the part1 with finesse.

I have started off with serious preparations only from 1st July and intend for the exam in nov-dec, 2009. Still not registered for the test, going to undergo ECE eval soon.
I am preparing from Kaplan Notes, Dental Decks, First Aid and ASDA papers only. I dont want to go for any other stuff (not even my college books) as i believe they are not of much use here.

I have started off with Microbiology, both from kaplan and dental decks.
Done with introduction, bacteriology, virology and infection control from the decks. that was pretty easy. doing the intro chapter from kaplan...
will keep u guys updated and expect a healthy interaction from all...

Thanks and stay in touch....adding this thread to my bookmarks...

Cya, Vaibhav

Hey Shine, go for course by course evaluation because Joint Commission accepts it and then you use the copies for applying to schools too because dental schools accept course by course report only.....

If you want them faster, you can apply for rush service....otherwise it takes 3-4 weeks for them to process
Hi bddsgirl,
I am planning to give exam in september.Can u pls tell me to which extent,question papers will help us.

Hi payal,

I am looking for a study partner.If you r interested mail me at [email protected].

Hi bddsgirl,
I am planning to give exam in september.Can u pls tell me to which extent,question papers will help us.

Hey Penubolu,
Asda Papers are very helpful really, since they let you know about the pattern.....and I have heard that some portion of the exam is repeated....not exactly but related to the previous exams....and moreover they help you to test your knowledge......

hey guys, this is Vaibhav here...and im an ongoing dental intern aspiring for DDS. good to c that u guys are preparing for the part1 with finesse.

I have started off with serious preparations only from 1st July and intend for the exam in nov-dec, 2009. Still not registered for the test, going to undergo ECE eval soon.
I am preparing from Kaplan Notes, Dental Decks, First Aid and ASDA papers only. I dont want to go for any other stuff (not even my college books) as i believe they are not of much use here.

I have started off with Microbiology, both from kaplan and dental decks.
Done with introduction, bacteriology, virology and infection control from the decks. that was pretty easy. doing the intro chapter from kaplan...
will keep u guys updated and expect a healthy interaction from all...

Thanks and stay in touch....adding this thread to my bookmarks...

Cya, Vaibhav

Welcome Vaibhav,

I think your preparation plan is very good because the topics are stil fresh in your mind......so Kaplan and NBDE First-aid are good sources to refresh your knowledge......and yes do not indulge in too many sources.......keep to quality rather than quantity......

All the best.....

Hey Payal,

Yeah it is hard to sit for hours but we have to do this......this time is too precious....we should not waste it.....because this time wont come again.......so try your best.......No, I did not join any institute....I am just studying from my text books, decks and ASDA papers............

I am already done with one DA, Physio and Biochem......I have started Micro now......

God, its really hard to study all these subjects after such a long time..........

hi, i m just donw ith da, half physio n neuroanat. after doin thing 4 long hr i just struck there n i change the subject. i m also studin 4m text book n decks. haven got papers so far. but is dat truw wat one of the wannab dds wrote dat after2010 there wont be retake for exam. does dat means v can write dat paper just once( year or lifetime). ll be lookin forward 4 ur ans to dis que. happy study hrs.

Hey Payal,

hi can u write me wat al papers to get. i mean i have those older one's A J K types. i read sumwhr they r prety old. so suggets me wat r the best pick 2 make upto target.

hi, i m just donw ith da, half physio n neuroanat. after doin thing 4 long hr i just struck there n i change the subject. i m also studin 4m text book n decks. haven got papers so far. but is dat truw wat one of the wannab dds wrote dat after2010 there wont be retake for exam. does dat means v can write dat paper just once( year or lifetime). ll be lookin forward 4 ur ans to dis que. happy study hrs.

Hey Payalpannu,

After 2010, if we get more than 75% we cannot write that exam ever lifetime. And if we get less than 75%, we can rewrite the exam........

hi,
i am an INDIAN and planning for ndbe, but i was wondering if its possible that i don't have to go for MPH, and can directly go for the exam.
Kindly, somebody help me out:)

Hey Payalpannu,

After 2010, if we get more than 75% we cannot write that exam ever lifetime. And if we get less than 75%, we can rewrite the exam........

hi, dats really nt fair. so ll those ppl ll get addmission who ll score lil more den 75%. i dont know how to react on dis. anyways thats was very imp informatin n thanks 4 sharing. ll b lookin forward to share more.

hey guys...!!!!

me way way behind schedule...!!!! revised micro...!!! physio /biochem now going very well......dont know when i'll finish those!!!!!

hey we cant reappear for NBDE after 2010!!!! but if we appear in 2009 then we do stand a chance to reappear one more time right???????????

But most of us are appearing fr the exam in nov/dec...someone who writes the exam in dec will get the result in 2-3 weeks...by tht time it'd be already 1st of jan...so it won't make much of a diff coz by 1st jan we can't reappear fr the exam...so it is bettr to be thoroughly prepared.