WSU c/o 2023 Applicants

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by PrincessButterCup, Aug 6, 2018.

1. PrincessButterCup

2+ Year Member

[​IMG]

How is there no WSU c/o 2023 thread yet?

[​IMG]

WSU is pretty awesome and Moscow/Pullman are here to fill your small town fix. If you've ever wanted to be surrounded by lentil fields and coffee shops, this is the place for you.

So who's applying this year?

[​IMG]

Was this just an excuse to use funny gifs and make a thread? Maybe. No one can prove anything.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Caiter92

Caiter92 Definitely not a cucumber with anxiety
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    2A9329CD-F53D-430B-A9D6-6C21443873C4.gif

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    superbowl and SkiOtter like this.
  3. Caiter92

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    B61784AF-9764-4C2D-ADEC-25503B65C0E1.gif
    68469AC5-6C0F-4917-8F4F-F0CB78221F13.gif

#3 Caiter92, Aug 6, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  4. OP
    OP
    PrincessButterCup

2+ Year Member

Caiter92 likes this.
  5. dolphin106258

Pre-Veterinary
    I am applying here! It’s one of my top choices! I just haven’t been looking through all the threads to see which ones are started. There are actually a ton of schools that don’t have one started yet....which is weird but idk maybe that’s normal :ninja:

6. SkiOtter

SkiOtter c/o 2022
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Start themmmmmmm if you’re applyingggggg

7. dolphin106258

Pre-Veterinary
    Yesssssssssss I will now, I think there’s only one other thread that isn’t startedddddddddddd

SkiOtter likes this.
  8. dolphin106258

Pre-Veterinary
    Never mind I was ninja’d it was for Cornell. Dang

9. OP
    OP
    PrincessButterCup

2+ Year Member

Think of all the gifs you could have used :arghh:

PIgPcQp.gif

SkiOtter and Caiter92 like this.
  10. janefresheyre

janefresheyre CSU c/o 2023
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    I'm applying this year! B)

Also how do gifs work on this site halp

Caiter92 and PrincessButterCup like this.
  11. SkiOtter

SkiOtter c/o 2022
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Either save the gif to your phone/computer and click upload file at the bottom or get the url for the specific gif and click the little landscape button in the bar above the text box and paste. Sometimes gifs are too large of files and they don’t show though :(

janefresheyre likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    PrincessButterCup

2+ Year Member

Come to the dark side. :sneaky:

3QdV.gif

KDeVore and janefresheyre like this.
  13. RedLauren

RedLauren CSU CVMBS c/o 2022
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    @PrincessButterCup you know what I just realized? That princess buttercup is Robin Wright, who was also Claire in House of Cards.

Mind blown
    5881D306-4DCE-41A3-A530-28F6AE60272A.gif

14. Miranda Senft

Miranda Senft Cornell CVM C/O 2022

Pre-Veterinary
    And Jenny from Forrest Gump :)

PrincessButterCup and RedLauren like this.
  15. OP
    OP
    PrincessButterCup

2+ Year Member

My lady is awesome. :lovey:

RedLauren likes this.
  16. janefresheyre

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Ohhh, that definitely makes sense, thank you! I think the one I had originally was too large a file size. :(

[​IMG]

I have been given great power

SkiOtter likes this.
  17. OP
    OP
    PrincessButterCup

2+ Year Member

It shows up when I reply, but sdn can be finicky with gifs

I laughed so hard at the error box :laugh:

SkiOtter likes this.
  18. janefresheyre

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    N O

Persistence is key, I'll make this work eventually I swear.

Ok I'm done being irrelevant now

SkiOtter and PrincessButterCup like this.
  19. OP
    OP
    PrincessButterCup

2+ Year Member

I love being irrelevant.

giphy (11).gif

20. SkiOtter

SkiOtter c/o 2022
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Sometimes if you resize them on ezgif.com you can get bigger ones to work on here!

21. Chili_Cat

Chili_Cat WSU CVM c/o 2022

Pre-Veterinary
    It’s weird to see this thread start before 2022 has even started first year classes :wideyed: but that’s the nature of the cycle process I guess

22. OP
    OP
    PrincessButterCup

2+ Year Member

Usually it's posted in May. ;)

Caiter92 and SkiOtter like this.
  23. marleyandme13

Can any current WSU students speak on the pros/cons of the school? I know there's a thread dedicated to pros/cons of all the schools but I feel like all of them were posted several years ago. Obviously I know the main thing to consider is the cost, but I would love to know what current students like and dislike about the school, specifically if you're an OOS student (I'm a CA resident). Thanks :)

24. MixedAnimals77

MixedAnimals77 WSU C/O 2022
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    I don't have much to offer since I haven't started yet but @Caiter92 might.

As an OSS here's my 2 cents so far.
    It's cheap as far as vet schools go!!! Sorry lol but #1 draw was the residency factor. I turned down my IS of CSU and several other schools because it saved me that much money. However the next few years tuition will probably be going up just so you know. Anyway I haven't started classes yet but I personally like the community feel they portrayed everytime I have visited. It's super welcoming. I visited last summer and people remembered me when I came to interview. We have a little/big match and we got together today and she showed me around everywhere. I met many of our first year professors they were all super friendly and approachable and seemed to care that we were there and want us to succeed even before we have started.

Some people don't like the area as far as population and area not a ton to do compared to a big city persay but I like it. Between Pullman and Moscow you have everything you need. I wish we had a target but that's it.

#24 MixedAnimals77, Aug 10, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  25. C925

Pre-Veterinary
    Can anyone help me with a prereq question? 8 semester credits of biology is required, and on the course description page, it says it should be a two semester sequence. Does anyone know if you can substitute other biology classes in for part of this requirement? In my case it would be zoology in place of the second course in the series. Their website says that they will not evaluate prerequisite coursework until your application is submitted, but I would rather not waste the money if I don't have to! Thanks!

26. MixedAnimals77

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Call and ask. They should tell you if they will substitute or not. They're all super friendly so just give them a call or shoot them an email :)

PrincessButterCup likes this.
  27. dolphin106258

Pre-Veterinary
    I’ve been sitting on this essay for my supplemental for WSU and I started typing up something. And I just keep thinking COST lol you can give me instate tuition and on SDN everyone says cost above all else. So while I like your holistic approach to applications and your clinical skills early stuff I really like the price tag. Bc I am poor and my parents have always overspended and been in debt so I would like to avoid that. :help: but I can’t say that. So here I am struggling and it’s all SDN’s fault. And @SkiOtter fancy gifs!!!

28. OP
    OP
    PrincessButterCup

2+ Year Member

You can talk about cost! Just make sure it's not all you talk about. ;)

29. MixedAnimals77

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    You just talked about everything else! Clinical skills our first semester is only one of like 2 cvms that does that. Look at all the cool things we do. Required hospital time starting semester 1. Community feel etc

30. SkiOtter

SkiOtter c/o 2022
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Don’t blame me for the fancy gifs, blame @hygebeorht for the cost one and @Miranda Senft for the rankings one!!!!! :p

31. Old-Country-Vet-Tech

Old-Country-Vet-Tech Professional Goat Wrangler and Pony Whisperer
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    What is this about residency?

32. Caiter92

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    WSU allows OOS students at the Pullman campus to gain IS residency if they follow certain requirements. If you’re at the Logan campus, you’re OOS all four years.

33. Old-Country-Vet-Tech

Old-Country-Vet-Tech Professional Goat Wrangler and Pony Whisperer
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Oh wow that would help.

34. dolphin106258

Pre-Veterinary
    Okay lol I’ll try and incorporate it!

35. dolphin106258

Pre-Veterinary
    Yeah I was going to talk about the hospital! And I did mention the community stuff I went to a small undergrad and really liked it even tho It was in a town that literally didn’t exist except for the school. :laugh:
    But I figured cost was something that is understood but you don’t say, kinda like oh well I met the prerequisites so that’s why I applied lol. But I will try to mention the cost

36. OP
    OP
    PrincessButterCup

2+ Year Member

IMO (and I've never been accepted to vet school or sat on admissions or anything, so take that for the little it's worth) mentioning your awareness of cost and budgeting will help speak to how well prepared you are to enter the field (i.e., you've done the research and know about what you're getting yourself into). It shows you're aware of the realities and are already planning ahead and paying attention to your financial choices. You don't want to ONLY talk about money, but I don't see it being a red flag or anything, if you're worried about that.

A lot of people apply to a LOT of schools and go with their gut rather than their brains. I definitely don't think cost goes without saying. A lot of the people I knew in undergrad weren't even considering tuition in their vet school application choices.

Caiter92 likes this.
  37. Caiter92

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    In my interview I was asked a question about student debt. It's very much something that you should be able to show you're aware of. Pretty sure I actually included WSU being my IS and my cheapest option in one of mine.

If it helps, I talked about the required hospital hours, clinical skills class first semester, shelter partnership, and COLE. They really just want to see you have an actual interest in their program and aren't just applying to apply.

MixedAnimals77 likes this.
  38. MixedAnimals77

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Echoing Catier. Also talked about how I wanted to go here because cheaper than my is was and that I wasn't going to go broke going to vet school. So then they asked my plan etc and here I am. I was also super interested in what their program offered like clinical skills etc etc

dolphin106258 likes this.
  39. dolphin106258

Pre-Veterinary
    You get 1/3rd the blame then :p

40. dolphin106258

Pre-Veterinary
    That’s kinda what I thought of the other day, bc I realized I hadn’t even mentioned that was another reason I liked them. So I’m glad my argument makes sense!!!
    Also if we’re being honest after researching vet schools for years of my life Washington has always been on there bc I secretly want to live there. But they honestly have a GREAT program IMO so they’re my top choice outside of my IS.

41. dolphin106258

Pre-Veterinary
    Okay great! And oh you reminded me about the shelter thing I just read about that on their website the other day. I almost forgot to include it. Since I actually have extra words left for once

42. sheltermed

5+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Oh crap, you talked about a lot of stuff. I only discussed one aspect of their program (an extracurricular program which name escapes me, I can't readily find it on the website so I did need to do some digging to find it...) - I hope that's not gonna be an issue!! (though, let's face it, my entire application is an issue, their supplemental essay is probably the least of my problems)

dolphin106258 likes this.
  43. dolphin106258

Pre-Veterinary
    I’m sure that’s not true even tho I can empathize bc I feel the same way. I’m like dang this essay is difficult I wonder if they will like it. Then I’m like well they probably won’t like the rest of the application so oh well it’s a toss up. +pity+:banana:

44. sharkgirl177

How is everyone feeling now that applications are over and submitted??

JiuJitsuGirl95 likes this.
  45. JiuJitsuGirl95

I feel decent! I haven’t gotten any confirmation/timeline notification from them though. Have you?

46. MixedAnimals77

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    If I remember correctly from last year we didn't get any notifications unless it was for interview, accept, waitlist, deny, and any info pertaining to materials for/after interview. There was no notifications of "reciept" except that your status page says completed. I got my interview invite in November I was OSS. WHICHE people found out acceptances end of October. Both of these occurrences were early compared to normal. This year there are also new people working the correspondance part of the admissions process so things might be different.
    Feel free to ask me any questions!

47. dolphin106258

Pre-Veterinary
    I feel pretty good also, just waiting now. Which is fun.

48. JiuJitsuGirl95

Waiting sucks lol. I find myself obsessively checking my email

fawthame and LilacBecky like this.
  49. LilacBecky

LilacBecky MWU c/o 2023

Veterinary Student
    I'm feeling good about my app overall! Just super anxious about all the waiting. Waiting until November/December is going to kill me hahaha. I think I check the portal where we submitted the supplement at least 3 times a day even though I know nothing is going to change for a while haha.

50. janefresheyre

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Trying so hard to have a zen approach to the whole thing this year. I'm excited about WSU though--can't wait to hear back!