Program-Specific Info / Q's WUSTL MSOT 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ONLYOT

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I was accepted to Wash U in St Louis early December and I'm about to submit my SIR soon since they only give 4 weeks to decide. I want to secure my spot for now but I do still have other schools to hear back from. I'm wondering if anyone else is on the same boat? I'm also just curious about what life is like in St Louis because I've lived my whole life in California so moving to the mid-west would be a huge change for me!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all!

I was accepted to Wash U in St Louis early December and I'm about to submit my SIR soon since they only give 4 weeks to decide. I want to secure my spot for now but I do still have other schools to hear back from. I'm wondering if anyone else is on the same boat? I'm also just curious about what life is like in St Louis because I've lived my whole life in California so moving to the mid-west would be a huge change for me!

I am waitlisted, but my brother went to WashU for undergrad and he ended up really having an amazing time in St. Louis. Definitely different from california, but sometimes change in scenery is good!

Reactions: 1 user
I’m from St. Louis and and have lived here until I moved away for my OTD. I love St. Louis and plan to come back here after I finish my schooling. There are very diverse areas is STL so there is something for everyone here. Traffic can be a pain for commutes so if you go to Wash U then I recommend living closer to school so that you don’t waste quality study time in the car. There are some areas that are safer than others so definitely look into that when deciding where to live. I would recommend finding a roommate from your program who is more familiar with the area. STL is a smaller city then say Chicago so it’s nice to still get the city feel but being smaller and fairly close to more rural areas. There is a lot of different cultures here so it’s fun to explore those and a lot of the other free things STL has to offer (zoo, museums, events, etc.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all!

I am in the same boat as well! I visited recently and was able to meet with a student and professor. Both of them seemed extremely knowledgeable and were very welcoming. I am waiting to hear from 2 more schools but I have sent in my forms to secure my spot!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hi! I also put in my deposit for WashU, but am still waiting to see if I get into/like a few other schools. It does seem like a majority of students in the OT program are from out of state!

Ohh that's good to hear!! Are you also from out-of-state? Also, what other schools are you waiting to hear back from?
I'm from Michigan! I have upcoming interviews at Rush and MUSC and am waiting to hear from Wayne State, Grand Valley, and Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

I'm in pretty much the exact same boat, except I applied for their OTD program! I'm also from California (never been to STL), and they got back to me way earlier than a couple of other programs that I might still have interest in. I ended up sending in my deposit to reserve my seat just in case, but I wouldn't say I'm 100% committed.

I was born and raised in STL until I moved to Michigan for undergrad. I love STL. I've lived in both the county and the city, and both are amazing! Delicious food, rich culture, impressive amount of free entertainment/events/activities, great baseball :) and just all around great. As far as fun things by WashU, look into The Loop, Forest Park (SLAM, the Zoo, the Jewel Box, etc), The Hi-Pointe, The Hill, Missouri Botanical Gardens, and about a million other things. :) Richmond Heights is nearby and probably is cheaper housing (just a slightly longer commute) than places right near WashU, although maybe there's affordable student housing. WashU's campus is GORGEOUS - we all refer to it as a "Baby Ivy" and it certainly looks like all the Ivy Leagues...or a castle. STL is saturated, but not yet oversaturated, with OT and has so many incredible, renowned hospitals/clinics for fieldwork. Please feel free to ask any STL questions - it's not perfect, but it really is a wonderful place to live.

Hello! I’ll be visiting St. Louis from tomorrow to Friday and the school on Thursday! If anyone has any tips on places to go while I’m there, it’ll be much appreciated! Also, the professor I’m emailing about setting up the tour hasn’t responded to my emails in over 24 hours now. Has anyone visited and knows where I’m supposed to go for my tour and meet with the professor? I’m hoping she’ll get back to me soon, but just in case, any insight would be appreciated!

Hi! Just wondering, were you referred to a professor to go on a tour with? Was this attached in your acceptance letter?
Hi! No it wasn’t! I just went on their website to schedule a visit, and none of the days they had up worked for me, so I filled out the form with the dates that so work for me and a professor emailed me back with a date and classes I can sit in on! She said she would send a second email with things to do and places to stay, but I haven’t received that yet.

Yeah my deposit was just for a safety precatuion, but I'm pretty anxious about the location if this is the only school that accepts me haha. However, I'm totally grateful that they did so accept me early. Did you only apply to doctorate programs and if so which ones?
I applied to mainly doctorate programs. I applied to Pitt, Wash U, and Boston, and then USC was the only masters program I applied to, but if I end up going there then I could see myself extending into their doctorate program as well! What about you?

Hello all! After my visit, I have decided to put down my deposit for Wash U's OTD program! Anyone else definitely going here? I'm super excited!

Reactions: 1 users
Hello all! After my visit, I have decided to put down my deposit for Wash U's OTD program! Anyone else definitely going here? I'm super excited!
I am definitely going to WashU, however I am technically enrolled in the MSOT program. I do have interest in switching to the OTD after my first year though! How did you decide that the OTD was better for you versus the MSOT?

Hi everyone! I am for sure going to Wash U in the fall. I accepted a seat in the OTD program and would love to connect with anyone else who will be attending :) I also grew up in the STL area so I can help with questions about living in the area. So excited to be moving back!

Hi everyone! I am for sure going to Wash U in the fall. I accepted a seat in the OTD program and would love to connect with anyone else who will be attending :) I also grew up in the STL area so I can help with questions about living in the area. So excited to be moving back!
I am definitely going to WashU, however I am technically enrolled in the MSOT program. I do have interest in switching to the OTD after my first year though! How did you decide that the OTD was better for you versus the MSOT?

I was accepted into the OTD program and accepted that offer. When I toured the program, they said at the end of the first year we are able to switch between MSOT and OTD if we want. I really want to teach so I may actually end up going MSOT to PhD, but we don’t have to make a decision until the end of year 1 because everyone’s classes are the same up until then. So for the beginning it doesn’t totally matter which program we are in (at least that’s what I was told)! Feel free to message me if you want to talk more about it :)

I'm from Michigan! I have upcoming interviews at Rush and MUSC and am waiting to hear from Wayne State, Grand Valley, and Wisconsin-Milwaukee.
have you heard back from Grand Valley yet?

Did you hear back from Wayne State? I got interviews at both GVSU and Findlay but I still haven't heard from WSU.