WVSOM Discussion Thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does WVSOM have a high acceptance:interview ratio?

has anyone been complete at WVSOM as of 9/13 and received an invite to interview? if so, when did you hear back and what were your stats (gpa, mcat, etc.)? thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am decision pending as of today, I am wondering how long till an interview decision is made?

I am decision pending as of today, I am wondering how long till an interview decision is made?

Some people get the interview decision within a day or a week. In my case, I've been at the decision-pending stage for nearly a month. I have low stats though so I assume that's why.

I just arrived in Lewisburg, staying at the Super 8. There is no taxi service from the greenbrier airport to the motel. The interview is tomorrow...yeay!

Last edited:
I just arrived in Lewisburg, staying at the Super 8. There is not taxi service from the greenbrier airport to the motel. The interview is tomorrow...yeay!

Goodluck. I think you'll love the experience. I sure did! Lewisburg is small but beautiful.....the campus is amazing too.

I just arrived in Lewisburg, staying at the Super 8. There is no taxi service from the greenbrier airport to the motel. The interview is tomorrow...yeay!

Good luck tomorrow! I have my interview there on the 15th! I'm pretty excited! Let me know how it goes! :) I made reservations at the General Lewis Inn. The admissions lady told me that was the closest to the school.

Did you rent a car?

Good luck tomorrow! I have my interview there on the 15th! I'm pretty excited! Let me know how it goes! :) I made reservations at the General Lewis Inn. The admissions lady told me that was the closest to the school.

Did you rent a car?

The General Lewis Inn is a really nice place...it's actually the oldest building in Lewisburg, dating back to the mid 1700's. It's basically right next to the school. The Motel 8 I'm staying at is 3/4 miles from the school, so I plan to just walk there. From the Greenbrier Airport to the school it's just a few miles, and I couldn't justify renting a car for two days to drive just a few miles. You might want to see if the Inn has a shuttle to pick you up from the airport. Initially I figured I'd get a taxi, but there is no running taxi's in Lewisburg. There is a shuttle serve inside the airport, but it's for the Greenbrier resort, which is a different hotel about 15 miles away. I talked to that guy (who was really nice), and for a small fee he gave me a quick tour around Lewisburg in the van, and showed me where the school is and where the admissions building is. He then dropped me off at the motel. To get back to the airport, I figure I'd ask the motel people to see if they could give me a ride...if not, I'll have to hitchike lol.

Just got back from the interview. This is a GREAT school. I arrived there at about 10am and Annette (the nicest admission staff I have ever met) took us on a tour of the school. Anatomy lab is AWESOME. They are building a new research building and an addition to the gym, which can be used by the students and their families. The had lunch with the students, which was very nice. After that we had our interviews, which lasted about a half an hour. I really really liked the school because of what they have to offer and it reminds me a lot of my home town. It is rural, but if you come from a rural background, then it's just fine. I really hope I get accepted here :)

That's great koojo, I'm glad you had such a wonderful interview experience. I'm hoping for an interview there as well. My status page says I'm listed as "In Progress" and I know that they received my LORs a few days ago. About how long since being listed as "In Progress" did you receive your interview invite?
Wishing you luck on an acceptance!

That's great koojo, I'm glad you had such a wonderful interview experience. I'm hoping for an interview there as well. My status page says I'm listed as "In Progress" and I know that they received my LORs a few days ago. About how long since being listed as "In Progress" did you receive your interview invite?
Wishing you luck on an acceptance!

Is it better to send LORs before an interview request? Will they look at it before then?

Hi Revilla,
Per their FAQ page:
When should I submit my letters of recommendation? Letters are accepted at anytime, however, you may want to wait until you receive an official invitation to interview.
Obviously, I didn't wait! hahah. I don't know if they look at them beforehand but I am hoping that if they do decide to interview me then they could do it quicker because they will already have my letters. I know they were received because they show up on the check list page.
Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Revilla,
Per their FAQ page:
When should I submit my letters of recommendation? Letters are accepted at anytime, however, you may want to wait until you receive an official invitation to interview.
Obviously, I didn't wait! hahah. I don't know if they look at them beforehand but I am hoping that if they do decide to interview me then they could do it quicker because they will already have my letters. I know they were received because they show up on the check list page.
Good luck!

Thanks! I figured they might not look at them until a decision is made, but it's not like it could hurt, right? Maybe I'll send mine too. Good luck to you!

Annette said send in the LOR ASAP. I would not wait for anything. Send them in. What I did was have all the letters of recommendation go to the pre-health committee, including the DO letter, and it all got uploaded to VirtualEvals.

Has anyone recently been invited for an interview? I got that email that they received my AACOMAS last week and was wondering how long it takes for them to make a decision.....

I interviewed at WVSOM this past Friday, and it took a couple of weeks to receive an invite. It really varies, depending on how busy they are.

Annette said send in the LOR ASAP. I would not wait for anything. Send them in. What I did was have all the letters of recommendation go to the pre-health committee, including the DO letter, and it all got uploaded to VirtualEvals.

Will do. Thanks for the tip!

I just found out I got accepted today, I interviewed Friday October 3rd. I am pretty excited to go here as the campus is beautiful and everyone is very friendly. Only downfall is the high tuition, but I am gonna be a Doc!

I just found out I got accepted today, I interviewed Friday October 3rd. I am pretty excited to go here as the campus is beautiful and everyone is very friendly. Only downfall is the high tuition, but I am gonna be a Doc!

Congrats, WVSOM sure has a great turn around time as I also interviewed on a Fri and found out Tues. The high OOS tuition does suck but MSUCOM's OOS is 60k!!!

Hey I interviewed on Friday the 3rd too, and I just found out that I got accepted too. Who were you? It's hard by your screen name haha. I'm Kahren, I was in the black suit + blue tie :)

Really fast turn-around time. Interviews friday and found out tuesday :)

I'm in!!!! :love: I interviewed on the third and found out today. I'm so excited, the campus and area is so beautiful, and the school itself was amazing. And come on, how could anyone not love Annette? If anyone else was there on the third, I was the girl in a black suit whose husband came on the tour (in blue jeans I might add, don't even get me started.) All the other applicants I met were awesome too, so if any of you will be there next year, it will be an honor to be your colleague!

I'm in!!!! :love: I interviewed on the third and found out today. I'm so excited, the campus and area is so beautiful, and the school itself was amazing. And come on, how could anyone not love Annette? If anyone else was there on the third, I was the girl in a black suit whose husband came on the tour (in blue jeans I might add, don't even get me started.) All the other applicants I met were awesome too, so if any of you will be there next year, it will be an honor to be your colleague!

Congrats!! I interviewed on the 3rd too and got accepted today! The school is definitely awesome. I don't remember anyone being there in jeans however, but I do remember a female in a black suit. I had the afternoon interview, had the black suit (stripped) with blue tie.

Koojo, I was the one who interviewed right before you, Congrats buddy! Maybe I'll see you this august.

Koojo, I was the one who interviewed right before you, Congrats buddy! Maybe I'll see you this august.

Nice man! Glad you got accepted as well. It's easier to breath now knowing that we can go to one school for sure. What other schools are you interviewing at again? I think you mentioned VCOM right? I got that one in November too.

I only have one other interview at this point at LECOM-Erie, but my advisor just sent out my letters of recommendation last week so I am expecting others when I am complete. Very true, it is easier to breathe now. I may withdraw from Lecom-erie now because WVSOM was one of my top choices and now I can just focus on hopefully getting an interview at VCOM, and OUCOM. By the way, do you know when our first deposit is due at WVSOM?

Ya the first deposit is no later than 12/15. Good luck with the other schools. I have 2 more setup: VCOM and LMU-DCOM.

I have been decision pending since 9/17, and haven't heard anything other than the initial email. Is this normal?

I have been decision pending since 9/17, and haven't heard anything other than the initial email. Is this normal?

Have you been to an interview yet? When I got the interview, the status was "Interview Applicant". After the interview, it went into "Decision Pending" and the finally "Accept Applicant" when I got accepted.

I have been decision pending for a while as well. I think they are behind right now.

I was decision pending for almost a month before I was invited for an interview. Its coming up now next week! :) So excited and starting to get nervous! Hang in there!

I was checking out some other posts which said that certain states/schools will let you become a state resident after an allotted time, and you can start paying in-state tuition.

To those that go to WVSOM, how does this work? It be nice to pay $20k instead of $50k after a year or so. I'm not sure if WV will allow this and if WVSOM will comply, but maybe you guys/gals will know :)

I was checking out some other posts which said that certain states/schools will let you become a state resident after an allotted time, and you can start paying in-state tuition.

To those that go to WVSOM, how does this work? It be nice to pay $20k instead of $50k after a year or so. I'm not sure if WV will allow this and if WVSOM will comply, but maybe you guys/gals will know :)

This is a start. I'd look a little further into it, but it seems you'll have to be convincing that you're gonna stick around for the long haul to get your status changed, since you didn't move there 12 months before school. Maybe if you signed an agreement to do underserved work in WV upon graduation, they'd let you. That's assuming that you want to spend the next decade there...

I saw a clause somewhere that stated tuition is locked for instate/OOS based on the first year. I'm pretty sure there's no way around that. Look for it on the website, it's there.

As CB said there are some programs that will pay your tuition if you commit to rural primary care medicine. I think each year they pay its a year of commitment.

Or you could do the military....

I'm pretty sure you have to be a resident of the state for 12mo PRIOR to applying. That's the only way.

i just got an interview call today...Oct 22nd here I come!

i just got an interview call today...Oct 22nd here I come!

Nice, good for you!! Their turn around time is awesome. That's less than 2 weeks for you for an interview.

to those that will be interviewing at wvsom, good luck. i had a great experience while i was there. i even got to attend an anatomy class while students were dissecting cadavers, which was awesome. i also interviewed at touro-nv prior to wvsom, and thought wvsom was 10x better. so far, ive had 4 other interview offers, but have declined them because i really want to attend this school. so who else will be attending next year?

to those that will be interviewing at wvsom, good luck. i had a great experience while i was there. i even got to attend an anatomy class while students were dissecting cadavers, which was awesome. i also interviewed at touro-nv prior to wvsom, and thought wvsom was 10x better. so far, ive had 4 other interview offers, but have declined them because i really want to attend this school. so who else will be attending next year?

Just wondering, where were your other 4 interviews at?

Ya the first deposit is no later than 12/15. Good luck with the other schools. I have 2 more setup: VCOM and LMU-DCOM.

Those are the schools that I ended up keeping my interviews at after my WVSOM aceptance, haha.

When is your LMU-DCOM interview? I'll be there this Monday.

Those are the schools that I ended up keeping my interviews at after my WVSOM aceptance, haha.

When is your LMU-DCOM interview? I'll be there this Monday.

Mine is on Tuesday, good luck to you!

Congrats to all of you that have already been accepted and those of you that are getting interview! As I said in an earlier post, if you have any questions about WVSOM, feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]

To those of you that were wondering about getting in-state tuition, I believe the previous mentions of having to live in WV for one year first are right. I'm not 100% sure about this but I think if you own property (ie a house or land) in WV, you can claim in-state residency. I'm not sure how long you would've had to own the property though.

Another way to get in-state residency, although probably less conventional, is to marry a WV resident. I personally wouldn't get married just to save a lot of money on tuition, but if it sounds like a good deal to you, then happy hunting!

Does anybody know how much of a deposit is due for an OOS if you are accepted here?

Does anybody know how much of a deposit is due for an OOS if you are accepted here?

$3000 total. The first deposit is $2000 and the second deposit is $1000. Or at least that's what it was last year.

$3000 total. The first deposit is $2000 and the second deposit is $1000. Or at least that's what it was last year.

Oh my gosh... $2000?? Do they offer extensions?? I thought $700 was high. If I get in I am going to have to beg, borrow and steal for that. We can't get financial aid until we matriculate... I shouldn't count my eggs until they hatch but that is something I would need to be prepared for!!

So when you all get invited for an interview, did the website automatically tell you what interview date? I've been invited to interview, but I don't see a date? Do we have to send in supplementals first?;)

they send you an email with all the information, I think the computer status log in changes first through. When did see the status change?

Status
Not open for further replies.