WVSOM Discussion Thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh my gosh... $2000?? Do they offer extensions?? I thought $700 was high. If I get in I am going to have to beg, borrow and steal for that. We can't get financial aid until we matriculate... I shouldn't count my eggs until they hatch but that is something I would need to be prepared for!!

Well the 2k isn't due until Dec 15 so you have a little bit of time to save up/solidify your decision.

Members don't see this ad.

I am from a more urban area and I am wondering if I should dress more conservatively for my interview next week? I am planning on wearing a suit but does skirt vs pants matter and I am wondering about the shirt I should wear underneath? I have some button downs but those feel bulky and don't stay tucked in very well. I also just bought a sweater, or a camisole (but wouldnt want to take off my jacket) I could wear underneath. Lemme know what you guys think.

As long as you're dressed professionally, it doesn't really matter what you decide to wear. However, you will probably be taking your student ID composite photo during the campus tour part, in case you do get accepted and decide to matriculate. You can opt out of it if you like though and just wait to take your photo during orientation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh my gosh... $2000?? Do they offer extensions?? I thought $700 was high. If I get in I am going to have to beg, borrow and steal for that. We can't get financial aid until we matriculate... I shouldn't count my eggs until they hatch but that is something I would need to be prepared for!!

This is why I love being in the military :)

I have an interview on 11/5 and I am from MI, just trying to figure out if flying or driving is best and where to stay? Any tips for/about anything would be helpful : )

Last edited:
I have an interview on 11/5 and I am from MI, just trying to figure out if flying or driving is best and where to stay? Any tips for/about anything would be helpful : )

That's a pretty far drive if you're up to it. I'd guess you could just estimate what would be cheaper. I rented a car and stayed at the Hampton Inn and was very satisfied. They serve complementary continental breakfast (hot breakfast) so I highly recommend them. Also the rooms were very clean with lots of comfy pillows.

Thanks, I will look into that, free breakfast is always good!

I stayed at the Motel 8, and they have free breakfast from 6am-9am every morning. It's 3/4 mile from the school. The have free wireless internet as well.

I stayed at the Motel 8, and they have free breakfast from 6am-9am every morning. It's 3/4 mile from the school. The have free wireless internet as well.

Hello Koojo, how did you like staying at the Super 8? I am debating between there and the Holiday Inn. The Super 8 is cheaper, but I saw a lot of bad reviews online. I'm interviewing on 11/27, I am very excited!

Also, I couldn't find anything on the website, but does anyone know if a picture is required with the supplemental application? I am not sure if it is required or not. Thanks!

I am staying at the General Lewis Inn. I have heard good things about it, only problem no free breakfast (I am not much of a breakfast eater anyways). Also you say you are from MI, so am I. I found that the flights from DTW (Detroit) were really expensive. I am driving to Cleveland and flying from there. I am saving like $150 at least on my flight. I also was able to fly right into the Greenbriar Airport. My interview is on Wednesday so I will let you know how everything checks out!

I am staying at the General Lewis Inn. I have heard good things about it, only problem no free breakfast (I am not much of a breakfast eater anyways). Also you say you are from MI, so am I. I found that the flights from DTW (Detroit) were really expensive. I am driving to Cleveland and flying from there. I am saving like $150 at least on my flight. I also was able to fly right into the Greenbriar Airport. My interview is on Wednesday so I will let you know how everything checks out!

Good luck at your interview!! Let me know how the flight plans and the hotel goes! Thats great to hear about another MI person with an interview! And thanks so much for the tip about flying out of the Cleveland b/c I was thinking flying would be way to expensive but was not looking forward to the 9 hour drive...

Hello Koojo, how did you like staying at the Super 8? I am debating between there and the Holiday Inn. The Super 8 is cheaper, but I saw a lot of bad reviews online. I'm interviewing on 11/27, I am very excited!

Also, I couldn't find anything on the website, but does anyone know if a picture is required with the supplemental application? I am not sure if it is required or not. Thanks!

I stayed at the Holiday Inn and it was very nice. They have cinnamon rolls for breakfast that are really good if you can handle something really sweet in the morning, if not they also have eggs, bagels, cereal, yogurt, fruit, and even sausage gravy and biscuits. The rooms were very clean and it is a new building. The beds are very comfortable as well. The rates are a little bit high but I thought it was worth it.

Members don't see this ad :)

Bad stuff?? I don't know why people would write bad stuff about that place. It's a simple motel. The room I had had a king size bed, a fridge, a desk, a reclining chair, free wireless internet, a tv with cable, and overall a comfy atmosphere. I stayed there 2 nights and had nothing bad to say about it. It's not like I'm going to live there, it was only 2 nights. Oh ya, the room I stayed in didn't have an iron/ironing board, so I had to go to the main desk and ask for an iron. No problem :) I'd recommend it...save yourself some money.

so I just got into LECOM and am thinking about cancelling my WVSOM interview I have 10/22. It is just that I'm from Erie and the tuition is almost twice as much there. I am intrigued by WVSOM and it is a very good school but I don't think I'd choose to pay that. So should I A. check out the school anyway-I may fall in love with it. B. give the spot to someone else? (I also have 2 other interviews so far) This may be a stupid question but I'm trying to figure this out soon, thanks!

I'm from NJ and I'm really close to a couple of airports and an eight hour drive to WVCOMs campus. I'm debating on flying or driving (since my car isn't exactly the most reliable). What did everyone else do? And where is a good place to stay in town... any suggestions?

Has anyone who was deferred had any other news from wvsom? I was originally deferred, according to the office, because they were waiting for my second MCAT... But she also said that IF I was reviewed again and given an interview I would be notified......This was in the beginning of August and my status has not changed...Just getting anxious I guess!

When will they say rejected if they do not plan on reviewing my app again?

good luck to everyone waiting on interviews..I'm cancelling mine so maybe that will help someone out. I can't get past the OOS tuition and 3rd and 4th yr state restrictions after being accepted elsewhere. amazing school though!

My application was deferred b/c of waiting for my new MCAT scores (They recently recieved my new scores). I just checked the website, and below my deferred status it has a link to the supplemental application. I am not sure if that link has always been there, and I just over looked it, or if it was recently updated. I haven't received an email telling to fill out the application so I am not sure if this is good news - interview invite soon, or not.

Also, the application I have access to requires contact info, essay, and pic. Is this what people filled out when offered interviews?

Thanks

Hey all. I haven't logged on in a while, been kinda busy with school. I am a MSI SBL'er and would be happy to answer any of your questions. For thos interested I was PBL but switched to SBL at the beginning of school. Reason? Just did feel right for me. But I can answer questions regarding getting into PBL and the SBL tract itself. So give me a shout if have any questions. Be happy to answer if I can. Not sure if this has been answere but deferred decision is the status given to all students during the application process and will change after you interview.
In terms of staff and faculty. We have some amazing faculty and staff from varying backgrounds. They love to help and are almost always available. Staff have trained at places like Harvard, Yale, and Oxford. The head of Physiology spent the better part of her career at Baylor College of Medicine. She left because she wanted to teach more than research. World class anatomy facilities and faculty. Can't say enough good things about this place. Remember that during the application process Angie and Annette are your best friends. Good luck to those that haven't interviewed and to those accepted, I hope to see you around campus next year.
Also wanted to say that Verizon is here in the area and you can sign up here if you have sprint. Keep in mind that if you are currently in an area with service they will charge you a termination fee. Providing them an address in an area with no service will get you out of the contract and you can transfer the phone numbers in most cases. Good luck and send any questions.

Ok so my status page is also like yours like2run, I just checked it today after a while because I got my MCAT scores (they were horrible...)

Does this mean I have an interview?!?!? If so, when will they email me to let me know?

Thanks

good luck to everyone waiting on interviews..I'm cancelling mine so maybe that will help someone out. I can't get past the OOS tuition and 3rd and 4th yr state restrictions after being accepted elsewhere. amazing school though!

What state restrictions are you talking about? 4th year you can pretty much go anywhere you want.

oh ok, i heard that u can but u have to seek it out yourself. I don't know what is quite involved with that.

does anyone know what the turn around is once your decision is pending?

same i have been decision pending for almost 3 weeks

I was decision pending for about 6 weeks and now I'm decision deferred.

I was decision pending for about 6 weeks and now I'm decision deferred.

Decision deferred? Did you get rejected or waitlisted? I wonder why it says that

Turn around time can vary. I think the committee meets on Tuesdays to go over applicants. You can interview with out all of your materials in (i.e. - DO recommendations) but will not be presented to committee until they are in. When they get in you will be reviewed and will receive priority review over those that interviewed after you. Because they are interviewing so many people right now I wouldn't get that freaked out if you have been decision pending for a little while.

In terms of change of status and receiving interview request. Make sure you check both inbox and junk mail. When I received a request I was not aware since it got caught up in University junk mail. Angie actually called me to ask if I was accepting the interview request. Luckily, I was able to still interview the following week since someone cancelled. So pay close attention. If you are concerned you might want to give one of the ladies a call.

Any uncertainties you have could easily be answered by talking to either Angie or Annette. They are there to help and absolutely love to. So either call or send an email. Good luck.

Decision deferred? Did you get rejected or waitlisted? I wonder why it says that

Neither one, I think. This is pre-interview and all it says is "decision deferred." I think adcoms are probably confused by me because I have a high GPA and a low MCAT (which I'm retaking in January). But if deferred is better than a rejection for now, I'll take it!

I just got invited to interview! November 17th.

Also, please be aware that we will NOT be able to reschedule your interview.

Come on isn't that just the slightest bit irritating? I already have a trip planned to philly to present my research at a conference, we aren't getting back until the 17th. Theres no rescheduling whatsoever?? I mean obviously med school interview takes priority but damn I wanted to go to that conference.

They don't reschedule for any reasons?

Last edited:
I just got invited to interview! November 17th.

Come on isn't that just the slightest bit irritating? I already have a trip planned to philly to present my research at a conference, we aren't getting back until the 17th. Theres no rescheduling whatsoever?? I mean obviously med school interview takes priority but damn I wanted to go to that conference.

They don't reschedule for any reasons?

They also want a $3000, non-refundable deposit by 3/15.. :)

They also want a $3000, non-refundable deposit by 3/15.. :)

Ouch. They were willing to push me back until December 1st because presenting research at a conference is a good enough excuse I guess. :thumbup:

Woo hoo exciting! Two interview invites in two days.

Anyone know what the %ages are on interviewed/applied and accepted/interviewed?

Last edited:
Ouch. They were willing to push me back until December 1st because presenting research at a conference is a good enough excuse I guess. :thumbup:

Woo hoo exciting! Two interview invites in two days.

Anyone know what the %ages are on interviewed/applied and accepted/interviewed?

I am 24 and I got accepted there to start next year. I will be 25 when I go next year to med school.

I am 24 and I got accepted there to start next year. I will be 25 when I go next year to med school.

Can't tell if thats a joke or not, but by %ages I ment percentages

If it is a joke haha pretty funny. If it isn't then sorry for laughing at you.

Wow! Maybe you shouldn't be rude when someone is trying to help you with your question. Go look up the information if your going to be so particular.

Haha I thought that you meant ages, and the % was a typo...I must have read it really fast and not comprehended it lol. Ooops

Wow! Maybe you shouldn't be rude when someone is trying to help you with your question. Go look up the information if your going to be so particular.

Um, what exactly did I state that was rude? I said I didn't know if he was joking or not... If I wanted to be rude I'd say something more along the lines of...

Wait nevermind, I don't feel like getting my account suspended again. I'll stick the comment about a cattle prod in a drawer and not say anything.

Seems like you were rude to me though. Try not to assume that I am an ass hole based upon an ambiguous (which I don't even think it is) statement, and I'll try to do the same...

I'm choosing WVSOM for med school for next year! I'm canceling my VCOM interview tomorrow.

I was wondering, does anyone happen to know why wvsom doesn't recommend buying a mac laptop? i would like to buy one, and i don't think having one should be such a main concern. But it's a $2,000 investment, and i don't want to have regrets. If it's because of software compatibility, i was planning on installing the windows vista OS in addition to the apple OS. any input?

Has anyone who has been decision pending for a few weeks been offered an interview yet?

I was wondering, does anyone happen to know why wvsom doesn't recommend buying a mac laptop? i would like to buy one, and i don't think having one should be such a main concern. But it's a $2,000 investment, and i don't want to have regrets. If it's because of software compatibility, i was planning on installing the windows vista OS in addition to the apple OS. any input?

I'm personally not a mac person but there are a lot of people who have macs. At least in the first-year class anyway. But as far as I know, there hasn't been any compatibility issues for people who have macs. The "worst" that I've seen is that people with macs have had to take like two extra minutes to download a patch or something in order to use the program we run for Histology lab. I think the main reason for concern might be that if something goes wrong with your mac, Computer Services isn't trained to fix them. I don't know if that's true for all problems though. My next-door neighbor's mac got completely screwed up after he tried to update MS Office and Computer Services couldn't fix it, so he had to drive 3 hours to the nearest Apple Store in Richmond, VA to get it fixed.

That's not to say that PC laptops can't have problems that Computer Services can't fix either. But anyway, from what I've seen so far, people with macs haven't had any problems.

Speaking of computers, does anyone use tablet pc's? At LMU-DCOM, everyone is required to have them, and speaking to the students there, those pc's make their life a lot easier. Do you guys think that having one will make our life at WVSOM easier or it won't matter?

Some people use them but I'd say they're no better or worse off than anyone else. Although I've never used one so maybe I'm just happy in my ignorant bliss. I guess it's just a matter of personal preference.

Sorry I have not posted sooner but I have been crazy busy these last few days. I wanted to let people know that I highly suggest staying as close to the school as possible. I stayed at the General Lewis Inn and it was great but I had some problems with a rental car. I flew into the Greenbriar airport which was fine but we got there (had a reservation with enterprise) and there were no rental cars left!! They were really nice to us and drove us to the hotel and even offered to pick me up and drive me to my interview in the morning. But it did add on a little extra stress for the interview. It all ended up working out ok, I hope (keep your fingers crossed I hear good news tomorrow) but being able to just walk to the school in the morning was really nice.

In terms of the interview it was all really laid back. I really fell in love with the school and the area while I was there. I really hope I am accepted. If any one has any questions feel free to ask me about it.

Finally, for those of you that are decision pending, I was decision pending for almost a month before I was given an interview, so keep your heads up! Good luck to everyone! :luck: :)

Hey did people who have already interviewed send thank you letters to the school? I wonder if this is proper etiquette for a medical school interview?

Hey did people who have already interviewed send thank you letters to the school? I wonder if this is proper etiquette for a medical school interview?

I was going to, but it wouldn't get there in time, so I didn't do it. I got it anyway :)

I interviewed on a friday and they were making the decision the next tuesday so like koojo said ( he was at the same interview as me) it would not have got there in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.