This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

x

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
I saw this on Reddit in /r/upliftingnews....the comments there were atrocious.

It's a great story!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The story is inspirational regardless of the man's race. While it's a fact that black doctors are underrepresented, the issue of importance isn't getting more blacks into medicine (which I think is worthy in and of itself), but instead addressing the root causes of the mistrust and repairing those relationships. That really has to happen on an individual provider level and it comes with recognizing cultural differences, acknowledging biases, and putting forth extra effort to build rapport, all of which is difficult to do in the current environment of medicine, which is based on moving people through the system as quickly as possible, as if part of an assembly line.

Reactions: 1 users
I was a mechanic for 6 years before “switching gears” to pursue medical school. Currently completing secondaries. I find stories like this to be awesome! Medical school was certainly a calling for me, just took longer to answer it.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.