Y!IFMBA: Random thoughts of the pediatric minded

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm loving it. Bundling up, wearing my warm clothes, running in the crisp air - love it. August in Houston - hate it. Luckily, I will be living inside the hospital at that point (perhaps on an ER rotation!), so I'll have to bring my sweater to protect from the arctic chill of the air conditioning.

Not so much the artic chill of A/C, more the chills of autonomic instability once you've been awake for more than 24 hours.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't say I'm loving it right now (I like it a little bit warmer), but I can agree with your sentiments regarding August. But, we won't know the difference this year. Leaving home before the sun rises, getting back home after it sets.... :oops:
Hey, stop trying to cheer us up! :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Not so much the artic chill of A/C, more the chills of autonomic instability once you've been awake for more than 24 hours.

Seriously what it is about the post-call inability to regulate temperature? I don't get it. I am always freezing post-call. FREEZING. Even in August in NC (which is painfully hot), I was freezing. And post call it's just mean; it feels like everything else in the world has been working against me for the past 24 hours, why does my body have to join in the fray?

Seriously what it is about the post-call inability to regulate temperature? I don't get it. I am always freezing post-call. FREEZING. Even in August in NC (which is painfully hot), I was freezing. And post call it's just mean; it feels like everything else in the world has been working against me for the past 24 hours, why does my body have to join in the fray?

I think it's more about the time of day than the number of hours on call (although, after 30 or 32 or so, it feels cold all the time). When I start getting chills despite the heater being at 75 degrees, I know it must be 3 am. Sometimes a little sooner. Then, it gets better as the sunshine comes flooding in during the morning. Plenty of food during call also helps - may be some sort of dumping syndrome though...- plus, it will allow you to sleep for 16 hours post-call without waking up once!

I really miss going to UNC basketball games. So much fun.
I was looking into tix for Saturday's Duke/Carolina game up the road - going on EBay for around $2000 a seat. Probably not going to happen for me...

Thanks for the love guys! :luck:

I agree with Iatros...the more cookies the better, especially putting the thin mints in the freezer and eating them when frozen...

I love cookies

I'm not a peds person, I'm just here cuz I heard girl scout cookies :laugh: I was accosted last weekend and the weekend before at two different places. I bought cookies both times. :oops: So far, I'm down 1 box of thin mints, 2 samoas, and 2 tagalongs. The thin mints are currently in the freezer. :D

Hi Houston peeps! I miss y'all ! :love:

I think it's more about the time of day than the number of hours on call (although, after 30 or 32 or so, it feels cold all the time). When I start getting chills despite the heater being at 75 degrees, I know it must be 3 am. Sometimes a little sooner. Then, it gets better as the sunshine comes flooding in during the morning. Plenty of food during call also helps - may be some sort of dumping syndrome though...- plus, it will allow you to sleep for 16 hours post-call without waking up once!

No, I'm still pretty convinced that total time awake is what leads to the chills. I work overnights all the time now as a pedi generalist working in the ER. As long as I got my afternoon nap, I'm fine all night long. Even at 3a.

If I didn't nap, and I woke up early that morning, hour 20 is when I start getting a little autonomically crazy. First come the chills, then irrational hunger, then general irritability and anorexia.

I love my job, but it has seriously messed up my biorhythms.

OK, American Idol last night....I'm pretty sure Amanda Overmeyer is going to turn into the new Sanjaya. Arrrrrrrgh!!

The rest of the top 12 I'm happy with!!

If I didn't nap, and I woke up early that morning, hour 20 is when I start getting a little autonomically crazy. First come the chills, then irrational hunger, then general irritability and anorexia.

I love my job, but it has seriously messed up my biorhythms.

Yes yes yes. The alternating hunger/anorexia does NOTHING to help the overall crankiness. And neither does being cold. Of course, if I'm called down to the trauma bay then the coldness is replaced with profuse sweating while wearing a garbage bag, booties, and a face mask/head cover, and that's always fun.

Members don't see this ad :)
OK, American Idol last night....I'm pretty sure Amanda Overmeyer is going to turn into the new Sanjaya. Arrrrrrrgh!!

The rest of the top 12 I'm happy with!!
I actually thought Amanda did a good job with her song this week. She won't make it very far, though, because she doesn't have much variety in her sound.

The top 3 guys are my top favs. I really hope a guy wins this season because there are several really good ones. I'd love to see David Cook win, but I'm afraid he's not "pop" enough to get the votes from the tweens and teens that are needed to win this show.

Yeah, I thought Amanda did much better this week...the song was def. her style. But that's the problem with her...she has one niche style and isn't versatile at all.

I agree, my fave three boys were the first three they saved. LOVED David Cook this week...the way he took the Lionel Richie song and turned it into a very current-sounding rock ballad....and it doesn't hurt that he's pretty dadgum hot when he sings. ;) I also really like Jason Castro and thought he did great this week. And little David Archuleta...very talented. He's definitely got the teeny bopper vote...did you hear all the high pitched squeals when they say his name? haha.

And little David Archuleta...very talented. He's definitely got the teeny bopper vote...did you hear all the high pitched squeals when they say his name? haha.

I'm pretty sure one of the squeals you heard was from me....all the way out in Chicago :D

Yes, Amanda was better this week, but she's going to have a SERIOUS problem when they start doing specific genre/artist nights now that they're down to the top 12....like, now that they have the Lennon/McCartney library (LOVE THIS), I'm sure they'll do a Beatles night or something like that....like they've done in the past. I can't think of examples, but whatever. Can you imagine her taking on a Beatles ballad or something like that if she had to? Ha!! :laugh:

Idols check. ;)

Once again, David Cook was great. And wow, Chikezie! I think I enjoyed his performance the most just because of the energy he brought to it. I think we'll see the country girl and David Hernandez go, or maybe Amanda.

Idols check. ;)

Once again, David Cook was great. And wow, Chikezie! I think I enjoyed his performance the most just because of the energy he brought to it. I think we'll see the country girl and David Hernandez go, or maybe Amanda.

For the record, didn't I say they'd do a Beatles night?....and that Amanda would slaughter an otherwise great song?? :confused:

Everyone was sooooo amazing!! EXCEPT: Amanda (I really don't like her), David Hernandez (can't get out of my head that he's a stripper), Kristy Lee Cook (WAAAAY too up-tempo, should have been slower), and Ramiele (she slaughtered one of my wedding songs, and I may never forgive her). And David Archuleta really let me down!! But I forgive him, because he's so damn cute.

So maybe everyone wasn't good....haha. But the ones that were totally blew my mind!!

For the record, didn't I say they'd do a Beatles night?....and that Amanda would slaughter an otherwise great song?? :confused:

Everyone was sooooo amazing!! EXCEPT: Amanda (I really don't like her), David Hernandez (can't get out of my head that he's a stripper), Kristy Lee Cook (WAAAAY too up-tempo, should have been slower), and Ramiele (she slaughtered one of my wedding songs, and I may never forgive her). And David Archuleta really let me down!! But I forgive him, because he's so damn cute.

So maybe everyone wasn't good....haha. But the ones that were totally blew my mind!!
You were right on. :)

I pretty much 100% agree with your assessment. I wonder if Archuleta's youth and immaturity are hurting him at this point. He really hasn't done a good job with the song selection the last couple of weeks. He's a fantastic singer, no doubt, but I'm starting to wonder if he's going to make it to the final few. Kristy's song was way too fast and a little off tempo at that. The crowd was so quiet after she finished. I felt bad for her.

So much time to kill these days! :laugh:

I wonder if Archuleta's youth and immaturity are hurting him at this point. He really hasn't done a good job with the song selection the last couple of weeks. He's a fantastic singer, no doubt, but I'm starting to wonder if he's going to make it to the final few. Kristy's song was way too fast and a little off tempo at that. The crowd was so quiet after she finished. I felt bad for her.

That's exactly what I said to my husband after Archuleta finished!! That's where his youth is going to factor in....and I wonder if everyone was too quick to place him in the top 2?!?! I hope he redeems himself!!

I swear I thought I heard boos after his performance....I hope I'm wrong :mad:

LOVING free time like this!!!!

That's exactly what I said to my husband after Archuleta finished!! That's where his youth is going to factor in....and I wonder if everyone was too quick to place him in the top 2?!?! I hope he redeems himself!!

I swear I thought I heard boos after his performance....I hope I'm wrong :mad:

LOVING free time like this!!!!
No surprises last night. :)

Anyone have a good recommendation for lunch? I'm sick of turkey sandwiches.

No surprises last night. :)

Anyone have a good recommendation for lunch? I'm sick of turkey sandwiches.

Haha, no surprises for sure!! Sad that I wasn't surprised by Amanda not being in the bottom three....arrgh.

Also, for a former Katharine McPhee LOVER, I was quite disappointed by her performance. She didn't impress me very much....and she TOTALLY flubbed the words to yet another of my Beatles wedding songs (making it now both of my processional songs butchered by AI). And the words were in the chorus, no less, so I had to listen to it more than a few times when she sang it....arrgh, get someone to tell you the correct words before you sing the damn song!!!! :confused:

OK, done now. :oops: I'm a vegetarian, so all I've got to suggest is PB&J....:(

Haha, no surprises for sure!! Sad that I wasn't surprised by Amanda not being in the bottom three....arrgh.

Also, for a former Katharine McPhee LOVER, I was quite disappointed by her performance. She didn't impress me very much....and she TOTALLY flubbed the words to yet another of my Beatles wedding songs (making it now both of my processional songs butchered by AI). And the words were in the chorus, no less, so I had to listen to it more than a few times when she sang it....arrgh, get someone to tell you the correct words before you sing the damn song!!!! :confused:

OK, done now. :oops: I'm a vegetarian, so all I've got to suggest is PB&J....:(
Yeah, well Amanda has that website, vote for the worst, on her side. I still like her better than the one who got voted off. She has personality! :laugh:

Funny thing is that I'm on the verge of becoming veg again myself. My daughter has been veg for well over a year now and it's tempting to join her. I was veg for a long time before I had kids. It's just got too complicated with a big family. 2 things keeping me on the fence right now. 1) It's hard enough to eat healthfully at the hospital when the grilled chicken is an option. Getting stuck with McD's fries and iceberg lettuce while on call doesn't sound like a doable option. 2) I love seafood. :oops:

MEAT MEAT AND MEAT! There are so many wonderful things that have meat in it...Steak, burgers, pizza toppings; seriously!

Although i will admit seafood is quite tasty.

I had to be able to jump in here because whenever you guys start talking about idol, i cant bear to read that part of the post :laugh:

MEAT MEAT AND MEAT! There are so many wonderful things that have meat in it...Steak, burgers, pizza toppings; seriously!

Although i will admit seafood is quite tasty.

I had to be able to jump in here because whenever you guys start talking about idol, i cant bear to read that part of the post :laugh:
sorry! :oops:

I welcome any conversation not centered on next Thursday. ;)

2) I love seafood. :oops:

I think I misrepresented myself....:oops:

I eat seafood, hehe. My hubby calls me a pescatarian, haha. I'm a vegetarian because I love animals, not for health reasons. (I know, I'm one of THOSE people). I hate salads and most vegetables. So, I have to eat fish, because I'd die of malnutrition and have NOTHING to eat otherwise.

How's that for insane....a vegetarian who hates vegetables :D

I think I misrepresented myself....:oops:

I eat seafood, hehe. My hubby calls me a pescatarian, haha. I'm a vegetarian because I love animals, not for health reasons. (I know, I'm one of THOSE people). I hate salads and most vegetables. So, I have to eat fish, because I'd die of malnutrition and have NOTHING to eat otherwise.

How's that for insane....a vegetarian who hates vegetables :D
:laugh: That is funny. I was a vegetarian for similar reasons. My daughter is a full-blown tree-huggin' fool. :love:

I could definitely be happy as a pescatarian.

Vegetarian who hates vegetables! I love it!!

OldBear you and I are both awaiting the march madness...although my team needs a win 2nite to be certain; hopefully they wont need it but it sure wouldn't hurt!

I think the bubble teams are the following (most people predict 8 spots left if no big upset champions): Arizona, Kentucky, Mass, Texas A&M, Arkansas, Ohio St and Dayton.

Arizona State, Houston, UAB, and likely Villanova are NIT bound after losses today. Oregon could sneak in if they beat Wash St, as could St Joe's if they beat Xavier tomorrow.

Vegetarian who hates vegetables! I love it!!

OldBear you and I are both awaiting the march madness...although my team needs a win 2nite to be certain; hopefully they wont need it but it sure wouldn't hurt!

I think the bubble teams are the following (most people predict 8 spots left if no big upset champions): Arizona, Kentucky, Mass, Texas A&M, Arkansas, Ohio St and Dayton.

Arizona State, Houston, UAB, and likely Villanova are NIT bound after losses today. Oregon could sneak in if they beat Wash St, as could St Joe's if they beat Xavier tomorrow.

Aggies have a good team they should make it although they haven't done themselves any favors lately. I think Ohio State (my team) is in regardless of the Big Ten Tourney, but it would be a better bet (and a better seed) if they win their first tourney game tomorrow.

Who is your pick to win it? I'd go with UNC for now....

Hah, we're recapturing this thread from the Idolators..:smuggrin:

Oh, also baylor and dayton OUT; Miss St and New Mexico in (although New Mexico looks weak....

My team is Arizona...i would love a win over Stanford this eve. I think Ohio St beating Michigan St again would put them in for sure.

My overall pick I'm torn...

UNC looks real strong.
UCLA is shaky and only won on bad calls their last 3 games
Memphis looked eh against Tennessee and played in a very very weak conference
Tennessee celebrated beating memphis by losing their very next game.

My pick right now is UNC; but i reserve the right to change based on other
conference tourney results...

Others? Your team? Bubble picks??

I think Indiana makes it farthest among the Big Ten teams. Purdue and MSU out early...

My team (Ohio State) is in a "rebuilding" year and will not make the S16 even if they make the tourney. But it was great to hear that Oden practiced today with Portland. It will be fun to watch him next year, even though I'm no fan of Portland.

No other strong views yet....

Oh, also baylor and dayton OUT; Miss St and New Mexico in (although New Mexico looks weak....

My team is Arizona...i would love a win over Stanford this eve. I think Ohio St beating Michigan St again would put them in for sure.

UNC looks real strong.

*YAWN*

;)

TR ~ No excitement? None? :p

OldBear - I think Indiana considering all of the hubub will be looking at a 1st round exit, maybe 2nd round. The Big10 had such a down year for football and basketball. The pac10 on the other hand ate each other alive. We shall see..

Bear Down Arizona!!

I'm just a pre-med, but I really want to go into pediatrics, so I guess I'm pediatric minded, yeah?

Anyway, a friend of mine is a Navy SEAL combat veteran, and he is going to be running the 65 miles from Camden to New Brunswick in NJ in May. I'm probably going to run with him for a while. There's no way in hell I could run 65 miles, but I can at least start it with him.

UNC looks real strong.

I've always been a UNC basketball guy...but I'm just not feeling it this year, I don't know why.

Mephis can't handle the pressure of the tourney.

Tennessee is legit.

UCLA is overated.

Much as it pains me to say it...don't overlook Kansas :barf: .

Texas and Duke :thumbdown: have legitamate shots as well.

TR ~ No excitement? None? :p

OldBear - I think Indiana considering all of the hubub will be looking at a 1st round exit, maybe 2nd round. The Big10 had such a down year for football and basketball. The pac10 on the other hand ate each other alive. We shall see..

Bear Down Arizona!!

I'm underwhelmed by Big10 and Pac10 both. Big East could actually do some damage this year (although I'm pulling for the weak Big 12)

Well now that everyone and their mom lost yesterday, including Ohio St and FSU today, the only people looking like they might be trying to do something is Virginia Tech and Arkansas (if they beat Vandy today)

Kansas has been quietly strong, I agree.

If Dook makes it to the final 4 i am boycotting.

I think for the Pac 10, Stanford is underrated (not just because they beat on U of A last night :thumbdown:thumbdown) and UCLA is overrated. The bruins got so many calls this year to help them win games and beyond Kevin Love and occasionally Mbah a Moute, they have no one.

Anxiously awaiting sunday's selections.

Iatros who is your team?

Iatros who is your team?

Well, my team is Mizzou (we all know how that turned out this year :( )

As far as the team I think CAN win it all, we that's UNC, Kansas :)barf:), or Tennessee...but really I favor UNC out of that group. We'll see what the Big 12 tourney holds for KU.

So let's recap yesterday:

A tornado hits the georgia dome and delays the GA-UK game until today.

Ohio state lost, in trouble now.

Indiana looked AWFUL, got every foul call at the end of that game and STILL lost on a Christian Laettner-type shot from a kid who won an ESPY award when he was 18 for winning the Minnesota state basketball title hitting a shot FROM HIS BUTT!!!
Clip of Shots (start at 3:40)

Arkansas is in with a W over Vandy
St Joes is in with a W over Xavier

Nervous fans: Arizona :eek::eek:, Arizona St :thumbdown:thumbdown, Oregon, Miss, UMass, Va Tech, Ohio St, Baylor, Illinois St, UK, Temple...

So let's recap yesterday:

A tornado hits the georgia dome and delays the GA-UK game until today.

Ohio state lost, in trouble now.

Indiana looked AWFUL, got every foul call at the end of that game and STILL lost on a Christian Laettner-type shot from a kid who won an ESPY award when he was 18 for winning the Minnesota state basketball title hitting a shot FROM HIS BUTT!!!
Clip of Shots (start at 3:40)

Arkansas is in with a W over Vandy
St Joes is in with a W over Xavier

Nervous fans: Arizona :eek::eek:, Arizona St :thumbdown:thumbdown, Oregon, Miss, UMass, Va Tech, Ohio St, Baylor, Illinois St, UK, Temple...

http://www.bracketography.com/

hmm...Az in and tOSU out according to them...

If their brackets are right, I have Duke, Texas, UNC and Tennessee in the final four (not my favorites, just my predictions. :rolleyes:)

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

This guy is one of the year-in, year-out best.

He has Ohio St as one of the last 2 at-large teams in the door; so you have to hope for no more upsets...that means this evening we are rooting for:

Kent St
Miss St
St Joseph's

Tomorrow:
Wisconsin

If any of these teams lose, whoever beats them (Akron, Georgia, Temple or Illinois) will steal bids from other teams.

TR: To know what to make, you have to know if you are cooking over campfire or on a camp stove/portable grill. Both will leave you excellent options :D

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

This guy is one of the year-in, year-out best.

He has Ohio St as one of the last 2 at-large teams in the door; so you have to hope for no more upsets...that means this evening we are rooting for:

Kent St
Miss St
St Joseph's

Tomorrow:
Wisconsin

If any of these teams lose, whoever beats them (Akron, Georgia, Temple or Illinois) will steal bids from other teams.

Lunardi is a complete fraud. The dude just makes up crap all year, and then gets a leak from the selection committee and updates his bracket right before they are released. Ridiculous.

I wish Maryland wasn't a complete disaster this year :(

As far as the team I think CAN win it all, we that's UNC, Kansas :)barf:), or Tennessee...but really I favor UNC out of that group.

Did I say Tennessee?!:laugh:

Gotta love this time of year

We have a camp stove. We've never camped with the 3 kids, however. This should be interesting. ;)
If you can build a campfire where you're going too, I'd definitely do it. I don't know how old your kids are, but school age and up (and even preschoolers w/ help) love roasting hot dogs over a fire. Just make sure you have some extras for the inevitable few that fall off. =)