Y!IFMBA: Random thoughts of the pediatric minded

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In summary of yesterday's carnage...

Georgia strikes fear in every bubble team's heart by running the 2-for yesterday. They win today? Scary news...

Ditto for Illinois

Tennessee played their way out of a #1 seed

Kansas still looks strong

For teams like Kentucky, Arizona, Ohio St, and Oregon to get in the door; we are rooting for...

WISCONSIN
and
ARKANSAS

Pontifex who you got? And who do you like using for your bubble predictions? Ive been looking at Stewart Mandel and Andy Glockner from ESPN (who actually I think is better than Lunardi, see article "Bubble Watch" from this AM)

Oh, and the best news from yesterday:
Clemson 78, Duke 74

Members don't see this ad.

TR:

Eggs in the AM always good
Grilled Ham & Cheese

Burgers & Brats over the fire if you have a good grate
Did i mention SMORES???

Members don't see this ad :)
TR ~ No excitement? None? :p

OldBear - I think Indiana considering all of the hubub will be looking at a 1st round exit, maybe 2nd round. The Big10 had such a down year for football and basketball. The pac10 on the other hand ate each other alive. We shall see..

Bear Down Arizona!!

WOOT! I miss Arizona BBAll!!! Never see it on tv now that I've moved to MI.

I was in Tucson in grad school when they won the nat'l champs, and we drove down Speedway among crazy crazy people in the streets. It was craziness! So much fun!

Agreed! :laugh:

Now, back to idol. :p I decided couldn't read this thread nor post until I had caught up on my tivo'ed idol from last week (camping out in the middle of nowhere really messes up my TV watching schedule!!) but now I'm done watching and just wanted to say that I agree completely with what the aforeposted things said. Not surprised about the outcome this week, and I really enjoyed watching my faves this week...I thought Jason Castro, Brooke, and David Cook all did wonderfully! And Chikezie rocked it as well...I was impressed. Also agreeing with the idea that maybe David A's age/immaturity is starting to play into it all....he's very talented but so are a lot of the more seasoned, mature others, yanno?

TR is already camping as of this post, but I feel compelled to add that my favorite camp dinner that my hubby and I had last week while camping was smoked turkey sausage (cooked on a charcoal grill) served up like hotdogs in buns with ketchup, mustard, and sweet relish. :love:

Also, I think I could be happy as a vege-pesce-filetmignon-eterian. I definitely love my veggies and seafood, but I don't know if I could give up having a great steak (medium rare) every now and then....

I matched too - yes!!! :D I can't believe I'm actually going to be a pediatrician.

Now for the looong wait till Thursday...

I matched, too!! Congrats everyone!!!! Now, for Thursday....

But before that, there will be some good American Idol discussion!!!! Sorry, sports fans :D

I matched too!!!

Thank god for couples matching so that my fiancee and I can be in the same city! Can't wait to find out where.

Congrats to all!

I matched too! Congrats to everyone else as well....we're all gonna be REAL Pediatricians in July! Pretty darn cool. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh and sports fans: Arizona made it!!!

WOOOOO!!!

Thank god the game thursday isnt during match ceremony! :eek:

Sorry OldBear for Ohio St.

And if UA can beat WV in their opening rounder, potential 2nd round matchup with Duke...rematch of 2001 natl championship!!!

Bear Down ARIZONA

Oh, and happy St Patty's Day :luck::luck::luck:

I'm probably the only one who's way more excited over the World Figure Skating Championships in Sweden this week than March Madness. :laugh: But my home team did make the playoffs :D so fingers crossed - the A10 needs some love!

(And does everyone and their mother hate Duke? lol)

congrats on matching everyone...you rock!

Oh and sports fans: Arizona made it!!!

WOOOOO!!!

Thank god the game thursday isnt during match ceremony! :eek:

Sorry OldBear for Ohio St.

And if UA can beat WV in their opening rounder, potential 2nd round matchup with Duke...rematch of 2001 natl championship!!!

Bear Down ARIZONA

Oh, and happy St Patty's Day :luck::luck::luck:

Eh, this wasn't our year....but we could destroy the NIT. :laugh:

Some good second round matches....I don't think more than 2 number one seeds make the final four. Only UNC is a solid bet....what do you guys think?

Eh, this wasn't our year....but we could destroy the NIT. :laugh:

Some good second round matches....I don't think more than 2 number one seeds make the final four. Only UNC is a solid bet....what do you guys think?

You know, I used to think UNC was a lock, until I saw their bracket:eek:. Will they get there, probably...but they are going to earn it

You know, I used to think UNC was a lock, until I saw their bracket:eek:. Will they get there, probably...but they are going to earn it
Big East player of the year (Harangody) vs probable National player of the year (Hansbrough) could be a great matchup, although I think the Heels are too deep for the Irish :luck: to handle.

Last edited:
Although i haven't had time to dissect the bracket as is my yearly custom (tomorrow's plans!!); at first glance I like UNC to make it through the uber-tough east, KU to beat G'town in a tough midwest regional final, UCLA to waltz through the west (i haven't decided how I feel about Az vs Duke in the 2nd round, i may go with the hometown fave!), and Pitt as the upset-darkhorse to come out of the south.

I feel like the panthers are peaking at the right time.

Irish fans, unless you shoot 65-75% against UNC, forget it. That team has too much talent

I am a huge AZ basketball fan, and usually place them in the Sweet Sixteen on my bracket, but this year I don't even think I'll have them advancing to the second round......I don't know if I can do that though, I feel like it's bad karma.

P.S. Congrats to everyone

If you can build a campfire where you're going too, I'd definitely do it. I don't know how old your kids are, but school age and up (and even preschoolers w/ help) love roasting hot dogs over a fire. Just make sure you have some extras for the inevitable few that fall off. =)
Sadly, there was a burn ban in effect, so no camp fires.

My kids are older and we had a ton of fun making zucchini mushroom quesadillas and apple cinnamon french toast. :)

emroyka, ST, crazypeds, jendizzle, marigold et al, congrats on matching! :banana:

I'm looking forward to Thursday and hearing where everyone is going. :)

Oh yes, and...

American Idol! :smuggrin: But I don't want to give away anything, so I won't post my favs 'til later. (funny thing is I was never an Idol fan until Marigold got me into it last year)

Just got back from my first visit to Hawai'i!!!

and

I matched too!!! congrats to everyone who matched and hang in there for those who are still in the scramble. Can't wait to hear where everyone is going to be at! I'm relieved/excited at this point :oops:

Has anyone been watching America's best dance crew? That show is awesome! i like the jabbawalkies (spelling?) and kaba modern! and AI is on tonight too... sorry, i don't watch too many sports but i do love figure skating since i used to skate!

American Idol! :smuggrin: But I don't want to give away anything, so I won't post my favs 'til later. (funny thing is I was never an Idol fan until Marigold got me into it last year)

Yes, I'm so glad there's new Idol to talk about to break up the monotony of the basketball talk! :smuggrin: But I'll wait till tomorrow too, so as to not spoil anything for anybody.

Yes, I'm so glad there's new Idol to talk about to break up the monotony of the basketball talk! :smuggrin: But I'll wait till tomorrow too, so as to not spoil anything for anybody.
Okay, my thoughts about last night's performances. I really, really wish they hadn't done another Beatles night. It really felt like everyone was doing their second (or third or fourth) best song, and poorly at that. Even my favorites had pretty mediocre nights. I did like Carly's performance. :)

Yes, I'm so glad there's new Idol to talk about to break up the monotony of the basketball talk! :smuggrin:

You can't stop the madness of March!!!

Okay, my thoughts about last night's performances. I really, really wish they hadn't done another Beatles night. It really felt like everyone was doing their second (or third or fourth) best song, and poorly at that. Even my favorites had pretty mediocre nights. I did like Carly's performance. :)

Yes!! Thank you!! Again, I'm a serious Beatles fan, and another night was not necessary for those reasons. Plus, I'm just super-hyper-critical of these people when they do Beatles songs :cool:

David Archuleta came back and redeemed himself, thankfully!! Everyone else....eh. I wasn't all that impressed. Chikizie was awesome though!! But, I do wish he'd just done the last half of the song as he performed it. That was awesome. His take during the first half made me nervous....

My verdict: I hope Amanda goes home. No surprises there!! My husband likens her to Selma on the Simpsons. You know, one of Marge's chain-smoking, scary sisters? She could be either sister, but we wouldn't think of the other's name. :D

OK, let's kill some time before tomorrow!! Good luck!!!!

You can't stop the madness of March!!!

yeah yeah yeah........:smuggrin: ANYWAY, Idol! Soooooo I agree that last night was mostly quite mediocre, and I agree that they probably shouldn't have beaten the dead Beatles horse with a stick like they did. The one exception for me is Syesha...she did a beautiful job last night with "Yesterday" and, IMHO, totally redeemed herself for her so-so performance of last week that got her in the bottom 3.

Archuleta was good, too, and I still really love David Cook, even though I thought he did better last week. Kristy Lee Cook's going home tonight, I bet.

Damn, Marigold!! We posted at the exact same time :p

I wholeheartedly agree!! Except I'm totally rooting for Amanda to go home. Although, it will probably be Kristy Lee Cook. :confused:

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if it was Amanda either....I'm thinking bottom 3 will be Kristy and Amanda, and then Chikezie or Ramiele for the last one. I thought Chikezie did good last night, after the song picked up. He definitely needs those up-tempo songs to showcase his fun side!

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if it was Amanda either....I'm thinking bottom 3 will be Kristy and Amanda, and then Chikezie or Ramiele for the last one. I thought Chikezie did good last night, after the song picked up. He definitely needs those up-tempo songs to showcase his fun side!
You know, I like Amanda in her own crazy way. I think one of her concerts would be fun, although the crowd would probably be even scarier than her! :laugh:

I like Chikezie when he's having fun. I agree with Jen, that first slow part really worried me. Archuleta is good, he just isn't mature enough to be all that interesting to me. Too close in age/maturity to my own kids. :p

Kristy has to go, she's not even that interesting IMO.

OldBear - Does this mean you guys MIGHT actually beat the SEC? Sometime soon? At least you guys won your NIT opening rounder.

Alright what's the latest tourney talk? I am stoked for Beasley vs Mayo in the Kansas St - USC game (i think it's the 630pm ET game).

Upset specials for tomorrow:
UK over Marquette
Texas A&M over BYU
ARIZONA over WVU
Winthrop over Wash St

All other favs to win

BEAR DOWN ARIZONA

~Sorry Idol-ers, march madness is upon us and it's once a year!

OldBear - Does this mean you guys MIGHT actually beat the SEC? Sometime soon?

Unimaginable...but who knows, now that we have some SPEED?? First we have to beat USC in the fall.

I'm happy as long as we got him and TSUN (That School Up North) didn't.

As far as the tourney, Arizona and Winthrop as winners???

that reminds me to fill out some brackets. ....last year I think I finished in the top 3 in my current school since I had tOSU going to the finals....

How about bringing back something remotely pediatrics? ;)

There are two South Park episodes which I think should be required for every pediatric resident rotating through their Developmental/Behavioral Peds rotation....

The first one is when Timmy, a child with cerebral palsy, get's diagnosed with ADHD. Timmy of course, is cognizant of what's going on around him. His classmates have accepted him as an equal and really pay no heed to his disability... it's only the dumb adults- teachers and psychiatrists which lead to this poor diagnosis. One funny scene from this episode is found below....

http://www.zippyvideos.com/6208106365990106/southparkcureforadhd/

The other one was when the Dog Whisperer is used to control Cartman's behaviors... he succeeds in what the Super Nanny and Nanny 911 could not accomplish.... with the used of Applied Behavioral Analysis. Here's a scene from it below...

http://www.findinternettv.com/Video,item,2587642306.aspx

Enjoy,
Nardo

How about bringing back something remotely pediatrics? ;)

Enjoy,
Nardo

Sorry, I've never found South Park as funny as my kids do...

but, here's something pediatric - that is "When and where is Nardo's party going to be at SPR?" We're counting on you!

OldBear - Does this mean you guys MIGHT actually beat the SEC? Sometime soon? At least you guys won your NIT opening rounder.

BEAR DOWN ARIZONA

~Sorry Idol-ers, march madness is upon us and it's once a year!

umm, better rethink that anti-Buckeye stuff considering you're about to become one. :laugh:

We're so proud of the NIT this year :confused:

We'll see what happens now with Arizona....BTW, if you're moving from Arizona to Cleveland you are going to be in for one heck of a weather shock. :smuggrin:

Clarification - I AM a buckeye fan (my statement about the SEC was more bitterness at how poorly those games went!)

I went to college in Chicago, so i am soon to be reacquainted with the following term - Lake Effect Snow!!!

Time to break out the heavy coat again! :D

Clarification - I AM a buckeye fan (my statement about the SEC was more bitterness at how poorly those games went!)

I went to college in Chicago, so i am soon to be reacquainted with the following term - Lake Effect Snow!!!

Time to break out the heavy coat again! :D
Congrats! :D

Enjoy your snow! I think I still remember what the stuff looks like.:laugh: