Yale Decisions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, they'll probably e-mail you once they get your waitlist form. Congrats again.

Members don't see this ad.

Waitlisted in Missouri. There is hope!

Still no letter in Boston...wtf mate...its only a couple of hours away

I'm in the same boat. I live in NYC and I still nothing. Maybe they used the wrong address. Phaselee, did you do an address change at all?

Members don't see this ad :)
No address change, I plan on calling on Wednesday if I still haven't heard by then

waitlisted in Toronto.

even with the news that high priority status may have already been sent, and even with this not being accepted,

I am elated!

Siobhan

p.s. "25% of incoming class will be accepted in this way"
so 25 % of incoming class is 25 people. I believe that after high-priority and over-full initial acceptances, wait list is one-for-one acceptances, so this truly is 25 people, rather than 25% of total 240 range.

25 people out of 200 - 1 in 8 chance now. There was a ranking made at decision times. Wonder if that is set in stone. I believe this is a ranked waitlist. 220 minus 25 is 195 acceptances last year. 130 to 150 initial acceptances makes for 50 high priority aprox.

Edit: based on info session info from last page, 150 are accepted, 50 are high priority. Inspector Clousseau moment.

So aprox 200 waitlist, 50 high priority and 150 acceptaqnces means that there was a 1:2 chance of getting acceptance or waitlist or high priority after the interview.

Numbers numbers numbers.

I am thrilled, even so.

waitlisted in Toronto.

even with the news that high priority status may have already been sent, and even with this not being accepted,

I am elated!

Siobhan

p.s. "25% of incoming class will be accepted in this way"
so 25 % of incoming class is 25 people. I believe that after high-priority and over-full initial acceptances, wait list is one-for-one acceptances, so this truly is 25 people, rather than 25% of total 240 range.

25 people out of 200 - 1 in 8 chance now. There was a ranking made at decision times. Wonder if that is set in stone. I believe this is a ranked waitlist. 220 minus 25 is 195 acceptances last year. 130 to 150 initial acceptances makes for 50 high priority aprox.

Edit: based on info session info from last page, 150 are accepted, 50 are high priority. Inspector Clousseau moment.

So aprox 200 waitlist, 50 high priority and 150 acceptaqnces means that there was a 1:2 chance of getting acceptance or waitlist or high priority after the interview.

Numbers numbers numbers.

I am thrilled, even so.

When I was at Yale, Mr. Silverman said that they accept only 100 to start, then take from the waitlist.

For last year, 787 were interviewed for 240 acceptances. take out the initial 100 acceptances, and 687 people are left over. If you believe that there are 200 people on the waitlist (though this seems like wild speculation), then out of 687, 487 were rejected, 200 put on the waitlist.

Then, if 100 were accepted initially, 140 more were accepted off the waitlist (since there were exactly 240 acceptances). so, that puts your chances at 140/200, or 70%.

However, since there is a ranking system, these percentages don't accurately reflect a given person's chance. Also, last year was a peculiar year; Mr. Silverman said that most years far fewer applicants are taken from the wait list. Given last year's increased wait list draw, perhaps the committee decided to increase the size of the wait list. Who knows?

I think that the ultimate question is how many people are on the waitlist, but even that won't matter if their yield is very high...tough to tell!

Hi Eekonomics,

I'm getting that '200' number from earlier in this thread, from a person who attended an info session at Yale led by Mr. Silverman. I too wonder about that number.

As well, I remembered hearing the 100 number as well on my day of interviews, yet that same earlier post as mentioned above talked of a larger initial acceptance number, as did a yale med student post in an earlier thread - I just went and found it:

Applications this year: aprox 4500
People interviewed: aprox 900 (up 100 from last year)

Last year they initially accepted somewhere between 120-150.
people drop until the number accepted hits 100, then they take one for one until the start of school. Total acceptances last year to yield 100 was about 220.

Last interview will be done either the 3rd or 5th of March, sorry I don't remember which.

Hope that helps.

Here's to hoping that those initial acceptances of 120 - 150 included high priority, and the rest are from the reg. waitlist :)

Siobhan

O.k. Took notes while reading the waitlist 2006 thread:

1.waitlist is not ranked until all the letters are in.

2. waitlist is not ranked in rigid order.

3. waitlist is separate from 'high waitlist' - this is still fuzzy, some people felt that 'high waitlist' was also called 'group 1'

4. waitlist has group 1, 2 and 3.

5 the groups have been described as group 1 = very small, chances are stongly probable. group 2=still small, very realistic, group 3= largest and least predictable. 50% of the time, acceptances will be given to members of this group. this info comes from an email from admissions dept.

6. In 2004, stats of 17 waitlisters equaled extending into Group 2. stats from previous year of 49 waitlisters extended 'deeply' into group 3. this info is very out of date, and numbers may have changed considerably since then.

7. a link last year to a yale publication said that there were initially 176 offers of acceptance made. strange - this is greater than that 120-150 number. this is a yale news article, and not sure of who included in this. high waitlist?

8. highwaitlist last year was indicated from the very first letter.

Wow, thanks for all the info. In any case, I'm just going to keep the fingers crossed and hope for the best. It'd be nice to know my "chances," but in the end, all of us on the waitlist need some little break.

I think there are some math issues, from last year

787 interviews
150 initally accepted

so 637 remaining. If assume 200 waitlisted, 437 rejected

out of 200 waitlisted, 90 accepted to end up with 240 total acceptances

if waitlisted, chances would be 90/200, or 45%

again, those are last years numbers, keep in mind this year there were more applicants, aprox 4300, and they did more interviews, aprox 900. Which means more people rejected, unkown on if waitlist is any bigger than last year

thanks jbar,

out of those taken off waitlist, any idea how many were the 'high waitlist'?

Edit: cancel that question - i realize i'm asking classified info.

Siobhan

Lolagene, I Think I met you on my interview day. Did you interview on Feb 9th??

Members don't see this ad :)
waitlisted in CA today. I watched for the mailman all morning because I figured it would come today.

I'm really pleased it's not a rejection, after not getting an email this was the best I was hoping for. Don't think I'm on the "high waitlist," though the letter is pretty nice and makes me feel good :) hehe

Mad props to paw4 and jbar for doing the research and figuring out all those numbers, all us waitlisters really appreciate it.

Good luck everyone. Let's go be good doctors, wherever we go to med school :)

Just got my mail, WAITLISTED

Thanks to all the people on this thread for the research on the waitlist numbers.

Good luck to everyone on the list :)

Anyone in or around NYC get a letter or still waiting on a letter?

We should start a waitlist count:

Regular waitlist:
esdp85

Regular waitlist:
esdp85
docjg17
Yehosh

I'm waitlisted too - "regular" as far as I can tell. Do the "high priority" waitlist people get different letters? Sorry if this has been mentioned before.

One person has posted saying his letter said something about high waitlist. For everyone posting your waitlist status, there's a thread entitled "Yale Waitlist" that has the same stuff, post there too.

High wait list in socal, omg, thank you it's not rejection.:)

Regular wait list
received today in Miami, FL

There is still hope...

got the rejection letter today in socal =(

no worries about classified info, I just give tours and host people, not on the adcom. So I don't really know how many are on the high waitlist. But I'm under the impression that the high list, which is basically garenteed acceptance, must be really small.

Just felt I needed to add a dose of pessimism to the waitlist discussion. Why are people assuming there are more rejections than waitlists? Schools have very little to gain by rejecting applicants, and with the exception of Harvard, it looks like the Ivies generally accept a few, reject a few, and waitlist most - leaving the majority of us in limbo until September. Good luck to everyone, but please don't raise false hopes...

Schools are not A holes for the better part (or are they?:rolleyes: )

But seriously... they are not going to have a 400 applicant waitlist if the average movement on the list in last decade is applicants

Also, a huge waitlist ensures tons of applicants calling their office non stop to see if there has been any movement on the list and to find out what their ranking on the list is. I'm sure they don't enjoy that.

I guess it's best to wait and see what group we're in. I went to check out last year's waitlist thread and people got in from group 2, so unless you're in group 3, you have to remain optimistic.

how much time do they give you to respond to the waitlist letter? i can't get to my mailbox right now. sry if this has already been mentioned...

Damn. It came. Rejection. That's three post-interview. Must be my people skills. Or my ugly face.

Damn. It came. Rejection. That's three post-interview. Must be my people skills. Or my ugly face.

Or even my blue skin. That freaks people out sometimes, and understandably so.

Hi! Is anyone still waiting to find out about WL/rejection? I'm in NY and still no letter...

Out of curiosity, has anyone called the admissions office to see if they're ranking waitlisters this year? I hope so...at least that way we know where we stand!

So . . . what DOES this high priority waitlist letter say?

The letter essentially says you were voted to be on the high waiting list, and that you're going to be among the first offered a position at yale as spaces open up. They say they don't know when it will be, but you have an "excellent chance of admission."

They go on to say the high waiting list is a necessary part of the admissions process, as they have to have an exact class size, yada yada.

They enclose a form to send back to hold your spot on the waitlist. That's about it. Hope that helps.

Still haven't received anything...and I believe that some pre-interview rejections were even sent...If I call do you think they would tell me my status? Does anyone know the number? Thanks

waitlisted in Davis, CA

Someone asked it earlier... if we call the admissions office, will they tell us if we are top tiered or soforth?