Yale Decisions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
waiting is AWFUL! And the worst part is that my letter is being mailed to my permanent address so I wont even get to open it...

Members don't see this ad.

Same situation here, I called my house pre-emptively to tell them to call me when they're checking the mail. But, I'm CA, so anything will probably call Monday.

Letters are being sent to permanent address? Also, has anyone received the acceptance letter yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
yet another waitlist in california. how many people get waitlisted anyway? thank god for january acceptances - i'd truly be pissing my pants otherwise.

also waitlisted. Does anyone know when they will let us know about the rankings of the waitlist.

also waitlisted. Does anyone know when they will let us know about the rankings of the waitlist.

Letters are being sent to permanent address? Also, has anyone received the acceptance letter yet?

Acceptances were sent out Thursday... received in Connecticut on Friday. It also was sent to my preferred (school) address, not permanent (home). Good luck to you all!

I dont know if they are being sent to all permanent addresses but I wrote my permanent address on the online application because I thought it would be easier since im lazy and dont check my mail. But now I believe it was not such a good decision

waitlist here too. anybody know when we'll hear about our real chances?

waitlist here too. anybody know when we'll hear about our real chances?

Ditto.
Hopefully they'll replicate last year and send us notification about High Priority, Tier 1/2/3 at some point in the coming month and then maybe let us call for even more info. The letter does say you can call if you're confused.....but I'm going to give them some more time to clarify things.

Ditto.
Hopefully they'll replicate last year and send us notification about High Priority, Tier 1/2/3 at some point in the coming month and then maybe let us call for even more info. The letter does say you can call if you're confused.....but I'm going to give them some more time to clarify things.

Haha. Hi, I'm confused: When are you going to let me in?

Waitlisted in Arizona today... more waiting sucks... I guess it's better than a rejection :)

Haha. Hi, I'm confused: When are you going to let me in?

Hi, admissions? Yeah, I need some "clarity", it says to contact you---why wasn't this letter an acceptance package? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Dangit, I didnt recieve an e-mail.... I was really hoping to get accepted!!!!! I absolutley loved the school!!!! Im so sad.....

Last year they didn't tell people where they were on the wait list (with the execption of the super high waitlist people) until mid May

another waitlister...here we go again:)

Sigh, and so many people on the waitlist doesn't exactly give much hope to any of us. Hopefully, we get word soon. Continued luck to everybody.

Waitlist in CA. Plan to withdraw....really not in love in New Haven, CT and the Yale curr.

Good luck to other fellow waitlisters (25 % of the class comes off the waitlist...so their is hope :luck: :luck: :luck:

rejection here:mad: ..i thought i would at least get a waitlist tho...my interviews were the best ive had so far..:( :( :( :(

any pre-interview with no word? I'v been waiting for a rejection but still nothing at all...

has any one else not heard anything yet? I mean, i know i am waiting for a waitlist or rejection... but i am in boston, and would have thought that if CA and AZ have letters in hand, i would too...

Dangit Dangit Dangit, my interview thier was the best I had all cycle!!!

A question for the rest of you who thought you had a good interview. What was your interview like? What topics did you discuss? Do you consider "good" interviews one where you and the interviewer discussed "low stress" topics such as how great the school is and what your interests and plans are or ones where you are able to reveal a lot about yourself beyond your paper application?

I am not really sure what a good interview feels like. My only acceptance so far has been a bit over the top where the interviewer suggested I would be receiving an acceptance letter within the next couple of weeks, handed me a copy of a research journal, and tried to convince me to come and do research with him. I personally didn't feel like I did too well on the 2nd interview but it seemed the interviewer had already predetermined my acceptance with a "I know you will do well at this school."

My Yale interviews revolved around research and how I planned to balance research and clinical goals. The only not so good aspect of the interview was I frankly admitted I would be unable to talk researcher to researcher about an esoteric topic related to my research. I had approached the project from a different perspective. We smoothly moved on to a different topic and I didn't feel it was a deal breaker at all.

An interview I had at another school involved a psychiatrist asking about important aspects about my life from beginning to present. He seemed interested and made encouraging comments about how he felt I would keep going forward. Complete rejection . . . no wait list.

*edit*
At my yale interview, one of the interviewers jokingly mentioned me joining his research group. I politely declined. Maybe that was the deal breaker??

at my interview, we talked about some of my research, then veered off to global political issues, and then to US politics..it was really engaging and fun; the interview was about an hour, whihc was way longer than my first interview, and i felt the interviewer and myself clicked...he went over programs that were not mentioned in the orientation, but that he thought would be a perfect fit for what my future plans were, and i guess reaffirmed that this school would provide excellent resources for my medical career...so, i thought that at least i would get a waitlist b/c he was practically saying, "once u get in here, you can do x, y, z, etc.."...but alas, it didn't pan out as i hoped...

at my interview, we talked about some of my research, then veered off to global political issues, and then to US politics..it was really engaging and fun; the interview was about an hour, whihc was way longer than my first interview, and i felt the interviewer and myself clicked...he went over programs that were not mentioned in the orientation, but that he thought would be a perfect fit for what my future plans were, and i guess reaffirmed that this school would provide excellent resources for my medical career...so, i thought that at least i would get a waitlist b/c he was practically saying, "once u get in here, you can do x, y, z, etc.."...but alas, it didn't pan out as i hoped...

Thats sounds like my interview... the interviewer told me that I am going to be a "great doctor" and that I would succeed wherever I go. I think those words are a recipe for disaster. I still dont know if im waitlisted or rejected but it doesnt look good. This one is especially important to me... :(

so i was accepted. and i can't really say my faculty interview was much better or worse than others i have had. he was nice and friendly to be sure. but the big difference (which seriously - i dont know how much of an effect this even had on the decision) - but i realllly clicked with my student interviewer. he was just a really chill md phd student. and yale is truly a unique school in its curricular design and it was fairly obvious that they were looking for 'something'. and i remember my student interviewer told me a number of times as i was talking about various things - "wow - yale sounds like the perfect school for you." and i got in. but who knows - at schools of this caliber - i feel as though there is a comprehensive re-review of your ENTIRE file post-interview. i have to say - i also spent an inordinate amount of time on the "why yale" essay. it was a pretty good sell i would think (as long as every other app didn't write the same thing :rolleyes: )

Thats sounds like my interview... the interviewer told me that I am going to be a "great doctor" and that I would succeed wherever I go. I think those words are a recipe for disaster. I still dont know if im waitlisted or rejected but it doesnt look good. This one is especially important to me... :(

I was told the exact same thing!!! I was hoping that meant that he REALLY wanted me there, and that I could choose wherever I wanted

In my case, I don't think my interviews were particularly strong, and yet I was accepted.

My first interview was much more structured than I was used to. He had two and half pages of standard questions for me (ie weaknesses/strengths, greatest challenge/achievement, etc) and he went through them all, writing my answers down as we went along. The interview ended well, and he did his best to make the whole thing somewhat conversational, but overall I think it was one of my weaker interviews. I just hadn't had much practice answering the sort of questions he was asking, and some of my answers felt inadequate or poorly expressed (I have a tendency to ramble).

My second interview (with a med student) was much better because it was more like my interviews at other schools in that it focused on my AMCAS experiences. I think I connected better with my second interviewer and so I expressed myself much more clearly. Both interviews were about an hour long.

All of these interview stories (mine and those posted above) just confirm my belief that our subjective impression of the interview often does not correlate with the final admissions decision. As someone mentioned already, this could be because the interview might not be the dealbreaker/dealmaker we perceive it to be. Ultimately, interviewers probably don't have as much say in our final admissions decision as we think they do. Often (though I don't know if this is the case at Yale) their job is just to fill out a short survey and submit it to the greater committee who then uses the interview as only one factor in their evaluation of our entire application.

Does anyone know what the typical post-interview accepted/waitlisted/rejected breakdown is at yale?

Does anyone know what the typical post-interview accepted/waitlisted/rejected breakdown is at yale?

Don't know, but we follow the Cornell thread's lead and get a sample right here. I'll start.

Waitlist
docjg17

Accepted

Rejected

mdurfa and lorienne, it sounds like you two were md/phd applicants. When Mr. Silverman was going over the interviewers in the morning for the Md applicants, he never mentioned student interviewers.

not accepted, still waiting for whether i'm wl or rej. i have a feeling this situation is because of my numbers and other things.

to answer the sense of ratios of who accepted/rejected/waitlisted:
interviewed this year: 900
initial acceptances: 100
from last year's thread (have to do this fast, doing a shift-change at work, someone look up the exact numbers...)
there's a high priority, and three tiers.
THey, "they", say that first tier is always accepted, then second tier goes.
We know total acceptances - exact number? what was it? something like 220?

So 120 come from high priority, 1st tier, and some of 2nd tier.
I'm thinking 50 in each bunch? That's where hypothesis came in. Not sure how many in each bunch... but based on that, 200 would be wl - high priority or otherwise. Any other proposals?

I hate that I loved the school too much.

Siobhan

mdurfa and lorienne, it sounds like you two were md/phd applicants. When Mr. Silverman was going over the interviewers in the morning for the Md applicants, he never mentioned student interviewers.

Nope, I'm an MD applicant. I remember Mr. Silverman mentioned that there are a few med students on the committee. I think he even gave us a number, but I don't remember what it was (maybe around 6 or so).

Nope, I'm an MD applicant. I remember Mr. Silverman mentioned that there are a few med students on the committee. I think he even gave us a number, but I don't remember what it was (maybe around 6 or so).

Yeah, I'm MD as well, and Silverman definitely mentioned student interviewers. He said that whether we got one was random. Some students on my interview day got student interviewers...

not accepted, still waiting for whether i'm wl or rej. i have a feeling this situation is because of my numbers and other things.

to answer the sense of ratios of who accepted/rejected/waitlisted:
interviewed this year: 900
initial acceptances: 100
from last year's thread (have to do this fast, doing a shift-change at work, someone look up the exact numbers...)
there's a high priority, and three tiers.
THey, "they", say that first tier is always accepted, then second tier goes.
We know total acceptances - exact number? what was it? something like 220?

So 120 come from high priority, 1st tier, and some of 2nd tier.
I'm thinking 50 in each bunch? That's where hypothesis came in. Not sure how many in each bunch... but based on that, 200 would be wl - high priority or otherwise. Any other proposals?

I hate that I loved the school too much.

Siobhan

I attended some lecture at YSM back in September in which Silverman said that last year they accepted 150 initially and put 50 on the high priority waitlist, with about 200 on regular waitlist. For the class of 100, they ended up accepting 240, which was an all-time high and was a bit concerning to them due to the low yield.

I attended some lecture at YSM back in September in which Silverman said that last year they accepted 150 initially and put 50 on the high priority waitlist, with about 200 on regular waitlist. For the class of 100, they ended up accepting 240, which was an all-time high and was a bit concerning to them due to the low yield.

That's a lot on the regular waitlist! Someone who has recently read the waitlist thread from last year could tell us if a second tier gained acceptance. That would narrow down how many were in the first tier. Again, this was all for last year, and the structure may be different this year. I love mysteries, they just beckon for solving! And in this case, they can also feed nicely into the shadow love which is sdnaddiction instead of some targeted action.

That info you're giving about 150 initially has been said before by a yale med student - (they said 120-150 initially in a thread from march this year). So.

20 from waitlist in a high waitlist year. Waitlist being 200??? not including high priority? Bad odds. So then - I wonder how a yale waitlist can be parlayed...or maximised...or if I even have one. Time to go.

Siobhan

Whew, lots of possibilities to consider. Just hope I get some good waitlist news. : D.

Whew, lots of possibilities to consider. Just hope I get some good waitlist news. : D.

you should still be proud and happy.

I'm still waiting for enevelope from Yale, I hope it's a waitlist.

I have a friend who was accepted off of the Yale waitlist last year. He was at the top of group 2 and got the news in early June. Hope this helps. Good luck fellow waitlisters!

Has anyone received the "high priority" email? Is the thinking that these people will come from those on the WL, or that this is a separate group (maybe those who haven't heard yet)?

On saturday, I received snail mail letting me know I was on the "high waiting list." I assume that's the priority list I've heard rumors about? Not sure how many of us there are. But until things are official, I still won't be sleeping very well...

Anyone else?

Did you get an invite to second look weekend with it? Congrats if it really is the aforementioned "high waitlist."

On saturday, I received snail mail letting me know I was on the "high waiting list." I assume that's the priority list I've heard rumors about? Not sure how many of us there are. But until things are official, I still won't be sleeping very well...

Anyone else?

Well there's my answer. Congrats to you...it sounds like your chances are excellent! Thanks for posting :)

(Commencing wait till June...)

Did you get an invite to second look weekend with it? Congrats if it really is the aforementioned "high waitlist."

No invite for second look. Though I only mailed my confirmation form back to them this morning (Yes, please keep me on the waitlist!! Is six stamps enough on this envelope? Bah, I'll put on a seventh for good measure. This cotton stationery feels heavy.)

Maybe once I'm officially on the waitlist?

Still no letter in Boston...wtf mate...its only a couple of hours away