Yale Waitlist Thread 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Worst. System. Ever.

Now that I got that out there, here are my thoughts on the waitlist movement, or lack thereof. Waitilist movement seems very sluggish everywhere. I have the privelage of being waitlisted broadly and accepted nowhere, so I've been watching many quite closely. Hopkins, which is probably most like Yale, hasn't let anybody in yet and doesn't even anticipate letting anyone in until at sometime in early June when they start "booting people" that are still holding spots at multiple schools. This statement was made about two weeks ago, and is still true--nobody has gotten in that I know of--so I'm assuming this is fairly normal. This is probably the same at Yale, so in addition to those 8 that are committed to Yale (presumably) and defering, there are a bunch that will be forced to choose Yale or elsewhere, opening up more spots for us. Regarding those that deferred last year, I would assume that they would already have to be counted in the 100 or for this year's class - this would have been taken into consideration when they were accepting people originally, but I doubt will effect us now. So, there's still hope (I think).

I wish SDN had a spell-checker.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,
I got through this afternoon after getting busy signals for about 30 minutes and being on hold with Veronica for another 30 minutes. I was told that I was "solidly in the upper half of the second tier" which I feel very positive about.

To clarify: Mr. Silverman said that for Yale, as well as for many other top-tier med schools, it has been a slow year. By slow he meant that students seemed to be having a difficult time deciding whether to accept their Yale admission or do other things with their lives- defer, do other fellowships, etc. Mr. Silverman said that he knew of 8 accepted students who were DEFINITELY not going to be entering in the fall-- perhaps because they won a rhodes, etc. but who had not, for some reason, officially pulled out yet. He said there are many other students who were strongly considering pulling out for similar reasons, but were just taking a while figuring this out. The number of students who do pull out determines whether waitlist movement will be average or not and so this is so far not clear. Mr. Silverman emphasized that the slowness is not definitely bad or good--- other schools are seeing the same thing, and a bulk of these undecided students could pull out, even though they are taking a long time to do so. As he told others, he told me to call back June 15th to find out what kind of a year it is and what, specifically, this means for me. However, he did leave the conversation very positive... I'm feeling kind of shocked as I'd prepared myself for the worst. Best of luck to everyone! Hope this helps!

Good info. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
clearly no idea about yale, but if its comparable to hopkins, i personally know about 15-20 ppl who were accepted who are not attending...dunno if that helps, but we can hope

I am out of country right now. Is there any way to find out about my position through e-mail?

O, wait. I just read about the 8-10 spot post. Uggghhhh I should just not bother calling.

couple of questions:
(2) Can't we assume that students who deferred last year will simply take up the spots left open of students who defer this year...assuming approx. the same number of students defer each year.

I don't know how to answer question 1 or 3, but 2 I do know how they deal with that in most schools. The students who deferred last year are included in the total number of people they invite *this* year. They know in advance that they are coming this year, so they used that data in calculating how my students they needed to invite. So the quick answer is no, I think...we should not assume that students who deferred last year will take up the spots left open. I would not worry about that.

Also, there are people who decide to defer all the way through July, and in many schools that number is quite numerous, so I'd expect many more spots to open up and each spot opening up means an invitation to a few people since people tend to say no when picked off the waitlist, especially when it gets closer to the start of term.

To cucumber's question, yes the highwaitlist is another category decided much earilier. You might say it is like a "group zero", as you asked.

Also, there are people who decide to defer all the way through July

In my high waitlist letter, it said that they will not grant deferrals after mid-june. I'm not sure if this applies only to waitlisters, but seems like it could mean for everyone....

I'm in group three.

In my high waitlist letter, it said that they will not grant deferrals after mid-june. I'm not sure if this applies only to waitlisters, but seems like it could mean for everyone....

Nyx, did you (or any others with the high waitlist letter) get through and talk to Silverman? Just curious if you were told you were in "group 1", or if he was able to give you guys a different timeline than the rest of us.

I'll be dialing in again this afternoon...

So: For the person saying that there are 15-20 at hopkins yet to make a decision on multiple acceptances - how recent is that info? Is that post-May 15? Is that closer to May 29?

Sorry, I meant that I know a lot of people who were accepted who will not be attending (in response to the fact that ppl still havent been taken off the waitlist). I am pretty confident that a bunch of ppl will get in off the waitlist this year (at hopkins), but I have no clue as to whether it will be an average year or not, or whether those ppl who are not attending are still holding their acceptances....

Busy again!Are people calling in at 1:00p.m. or something?

Edit: If you have gotten through, please post any new info you learn. thanks everyone!

Nyx1622, why are you being requested to call in if you already know your rank? From what I understand high waitlisters are above the tiers...thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Nyx1622 why are you being requested to call in if you already know your rank? From what I understand high waitlisters are above the tiers...thanks

In the e-mail that was sent out, they said high waitlisters are invited to call in and find out "more precisely their rank, and probability of getting accepted." If they bothered sending us an e-mail telling us of this horrendous telethon, I thought I should take part. Plus, any more information I can get would certainly be welcome.

wow, and I thought you guys were exempt from all this. well best of luck!

finally got through, but put on hold so waiting...i've been told that two people are taking calls today, so it should be better.....

Got through, group 3. Let's see if it's an average year...:luck:

My thumb's getting tired of redialing...

Edit: I got through...now I'm on hold! It's the little things.

For people in Group 3 (like me), what were you told about your chances? I was told I was in a good position within Group 3, but that doesn't mean much unless a lot of people turn Yale down this year... :-\

group 2 here. was told same thing that other group 2ers where told...good chance if it is an average year, and they will know that in two weeks time.

On the high waitlist, and finally got through.

I was told essentially the same thing as everyone else. He said in a normal year, everyone on the high waitlist would have been accepted by now. But this year has been unexplicably slow, and they won't really know how things will end up for another 2 weeks or so. Right now the class is full, but several people will likely be deferring/not going to yale. They additionally have until June 30th to make up their minds - but they're trying to push them along in their decision making process.

hey everyone,
I'm new to SDN and happy to see I found a Yale waitlist thread. We'll as many of you, I called in and found out my rank. I'm in tier 2 and was told that my chances were "solid" and that I was "in the upper half." Mr. Silverman also told me, as he told many of you, that the situation would not be clear until mid June, however, he said he does know of 10-12 people who are likely to defer. I read on page 4 that he told people yesterday 8-10. It appears that his estimation has gone up. Good luck everyone!:)

On the high waitlist, and finally got through.

I was told essentially the same thing as everyone else. He said in a normal year, everyone on the high waitlist would have been accepted by now. But this year has been unexplicably slow, and they won't really know how things will end up for another 2 weeks or so. Right now the class is full, but several people will likely be deferring/not going to yale. They additionally have until June 30th to make up their minds - but they're trying to push them along in their decision making process.

Has anyone been accepted from the high waitlist yet?

Group 2 here, same info as everyone else got...except I wasn't told my position within group 2...maybe that means I'm in the bottom half :rolleyes:

He told me they don't give out the numbers of people in each group.

Group 2 here. Same info as everyone else.

Inexplicably slow AND they gave out a record number of initial acceptances. Those would have been highwaitlisters last year, true?

i'll be interested to hear if the high waitlisters in our sample get through. maybe time to bump our list, broken into tiers... hopefully we get some good acceptance news soon. i'm actually a little interested to see if the record number of multiple applications/multiple acceptances proves to make waitlisting significantly different this year - i.e. will there be a late movement? i'm not so sure...

Has anyone been accepted from the high waitlist yet?

He made it sound like a couple of people had been let in from the high waitlist. But very few.

has anyone been told they are in group 1 yet? I am just curious.

Nyx1622,

Any chance you know if the High WL'ers were regular MD, or MSTP?

4-5 trys per minute X 120 minutes = :smuggrin:

yeah, I was wondering the samething about group 1. Also, it's kinda of interesting to note that there seem to be just as many tier 2 as tier 3. I am starting to think they are the same size...

**PLEASE UPDATE if you know your tier**

High priority waitlist

Nyx1622 (3/24)

Regular waitlist

njcaldwell (3/29)
Andando (03/26)
JohnnyDrama (3/26)
lolagene (03/26)
cgscribe (03/24)
ltrain (03/24)
gonviper (03/24)
dantt (03/26)
docjg17 (03/24)
CubanDoc (3/26)
Yehosh (3/26)
i'm the map (3/26)
esdp85(3/24)
Homer Simpson (3/24)
orangescape (3/24)
FujiApple (3/26)
LaDAndouna (3/26)
WhyIsThisSoHard (3/26)
4paw (3/26, dated 3/23)
Zellybelly (3/27)
jdm34721 (3/23)
creative11 (3/23)
TheAsianBullet (3/23)
Allie1984 (3/28)
babel (3/24)
uclaRM (3/24)
444 (3/23)
Prizzi (3/25)
eekonomics (3/25)
e12345r (3/23)
palmStreet (5/30), tier 2 - Updated

Withdraw from waitlist (indicate which tier)

fotografia (4/09, tier unknown, not HP)
guoj

Acceptance from waitlist (indicate which tier)

===DON'T DELETE===
TO ADD YOURSELF:
1. CLICK "QUOTE" IN THE MOST RECENT LIST.
2. REMOVE THE "QUOTE TAGS" AT THE BEGINNING AND END OF THE MESSAGE. (THOSE ARE THE (QUOTE=username;123456) and (/QUOTE) EXCEPT WITH BRACKETS IN PLACE OF THE PARENTHESES.
3. ADD YOURSELF.
4. WRITE WHAT YOU DID IN THE TITLE AT THE TOP.
5. IF YOU CAN'T DO IT RIGHT, THEN JUST ASK TO BE ADDED (WITHOUT QUOTING THE WHOLE LIST).

High priority waitlist

Nyx1622 (3/24)

Regular waitlist

njcaldwell (3/29)
Andando (03/26)
JohnnyDrama (3/26)
lolagene (03/26)
cgscribe (03/24)
ltrain (03/24, tier 2)
gonviper (03/24)
dantt (03/26)
docjg17 (03/24)
CubanDoc (3/26)
Yehosh (3/26)
i'm the map (3/26)
esdp85(3/24)
Homer Simpson (3/24)
orangescape (3/24)
FujiApple (3/26)
LaDAndouna (3/26)
WhyIsThisSoHard (3/26)
4paw (3/26, dated 3/23)
Zellybelly (3/27)
jdm34721 (3/23)
creative11 (3/23)
TheAsianBullet (3/23)
Allie1984 (3/28)
babel (3/24)
uclaRM (3/24)
444 (3/23)
Prizzi (3/25)
eekonomics (3/25)
e12345r (3/23)

guoj

===DON'T DELETE===
TO ADD YOURSELF:
2. REMOVE THE "QUOTE TAGS" AT THE BEGINNING AND END OF THE MESSAGE. (THOSE ARE THE (QUOTE=username;123456) and (/QUOTE) EXCEPT WITH BRACKETS IN PLACE OF THE PARENTHESES.
3. ADD YOURSELF.
5. IF YOU CAN'T DO IT RIGHT, THEN JUST ASK TO BE ADDED (WITHOUT QUOTING THE WHOLE LIST).

check your email. Now your can email to find out your tier.

High priority waitlist

Nyx1622 (3/24)

Regular waitlist

njcaldwell (3/29)
Andando (03/26)
JohnnyDrama (3/26)
lolagene (03/26- group 3)
cgscribe (03/24)
ltrain (03/24, tier 2)
gonviper (03/24)
dantt (03/26)
docjg17 (03/24)
CubanDoc (3/26)
Yehosh (3/26)
i'm the map (3/26)
esdp85(3/24)
Homer Simpson (3/24)
orangescape (3/24)
FujiApple (3/26)
LaDAndouna (3/26)
WhyIsThisSoHard (3/26)
4paw (3/26, dated 3/23)
Zellybelly (3/27)
jdm34721 (3/23)
creative11 (3/23)
TheAsianBullet (3/23)
Allie1984 (3/28)
babel (3/24)
uclaRM (3/24)
444 (3/23)
Prizzi (3/25)
eekonomics (3/25)
e12345r (3/23)

guoj

===DON'T DELETE===
TO ADD YOURSELF:
3. ADD YOURSELF.
5. IF YOU CAN'T DO IT RIGHT, THEN JUST ASK TO BE ADDED (WITHOUT QUOTING THE WHOLE LIST).[/QUOTE]

High priority waitlist

Nyx1622 (3/24)

Regular waitlist

njcaldwell (3/29)
Andando (03/26 - group 2)
JohnnyDrama (3/26)
cgscribe (03/24)
ltrain (03/24, tier 2)
gonviper (03/24)
dantt (03/26)
docjg17 (03/24)
CubanDoc (3/26)
Yehosh (3/26)
i'm the map (3/26)
esdp85(3/24)
Homer Simpson (3/24)
orangescape (3/24)
FujiApple (3/26)
LaDAndouna (3/26)
WhyIsThisSoHard (3/26)
4paw (3/26, dated 3/23)
Zellybelly (3/27)
jdm34721 (3/23)
creative11 (3/23)
TheAsianBullet (3/23)
Allie1984 (3/28)
babel (3/24)
uclaRM (3/24)
444 (3/23)
Prizzi (3/25)
eekonomics (3/25)
e12345r (3/23)
palmStreet (5/30 - group 2)

guoj

===DON'T DELETE===
TO ADD YOURSELF:
3. ADD YOURSELF.

High priority waitlist

Nyx1622 (3/24)

Regular waitlist

njcaldwell (3/29)
JohnnyDrama (3/26)
cgscribe (03/24)
ltrain (03/24, tier 2)
gonviper (03/24)
dantt (03/26)
docjg17 (03/24)
CubanDoc (3/26)
Yehosh (3/26)
i'm the map (3/26)
esdp85(3/24)
Homer Simpson (3/24)
orangescape (3/24)
FujiApple (3/26)
LaDAndouna (3/26)
WhyIsThisSoHard (3/26)
4paw (3/26, dated 3/23)
Zellybelly (3/27)
jdm34721 (3/23)
creative11 (3/23)
TheAsianBullet (3/23)
Allie1984 (3/28)
babel (3/24)
uclaRM (3/24)
444 (3/23)
Prizzi (3/25)
eekonomics (3/25)
e12345r (3/23)
cucumber (5/30 - groups 2)

guoj

===DON'T DELETE===
TO ADD YOURSELF:
3. ADD YOURSELF.

High priority waitlist

Nyx1622 (3/24)

Regular waitlist

njcaldwell (3/29)
JohnnyDrama (3/26)
cgscribe (03/24)
ltrain (03/24, tier 2)
gonviper (03/24)
dantt (03/26)
docjg17 (03/24)
CubanDoc (3/26)
Yehosh (3/26)
i'm the map (3/26)
esdp85(3/24)
Homer Simpson (3/24)
orangescape (3/24)
FujiApple (3/26)
LaDAndouna (3/26)
WhyIsThisSoHard (3/26)
4paw (3/26, dated 3/23)
Zellybelly (3/27)
jdm34721 (3/23)
creative11 (3/23)
TheAsianBullet (3/23)
Allie1984 (3/28)
babel (3/24)
uclaRM (3/24)
444 (3/23)
Prizzi (3/25)
eekonomics (3/25)
e12345r (3/23)
CrimsOnMama (5/30 - group 2)

guoj

===DON'T DELETE===
TO ADD YOURSELF:
3. ADD YOURSELF.

I am group 2, but I'm withdrawing. Off to UCSF for me, good luck everybody!!!

I e-mailed Asst. Dir Barbara Watts this morning and got a reponse 5 min later. The first paragraph of the e-mail said "Thank you for emailing me about your status on the waiting list. You are in Group 1 on our list." I really really hope this isn't a typo. That would be the cruelest joke ever.

Did she say anything about your chances? Or was it essentially the same info we've all been getting?

Hey all-

I just sent an email as well, and got a response in less than 15min - Group 2. They give a fairly detailed description of the groups - basically,

1 is small, likely to accept all by the end of June
2 is larger, a good chance of acceptance but not guaranteed
3 is the largest, sometimes accept some people from this group, sometimes not.

Overall, it was a very nice, informative email - I'd definitely recommend this method instead of waiting until next week to call.

Personally, I'm withdrawing from the waitlist - so good luck to the rest of you! :)

High priority waitlist

Nyx1622 (3/24)

Regular waitlist

njcaldwell (3/29)
JohnnyDrama (3/26)
cgscribe (03/24)
ltrain (03/24, tier 2)
gonviper (03/24)
dantt (03/26)
docjg17 (03/24)
CubanDoc (3/26)
Yehosh (3/26)
i'm the map (3/26)
esdp85(3/24)
Homer Simpson (3/24)
orangescape (3/24)
FujiApple (3/26)
LaDAndouna (3/26)
WhyIsThisSoHard (3/26)
4paw (3/26, dated 3/23)
Zellybelly (3/27)
jdm34721 (3/23)
creative11 (3/23)
TheAsianBullet (3/23)
Allie1984 (3/28)
babel (3/24)
uclaRM (5/31 - group 3)
444 (3/23)
Prizzi (3/25)
eekonomics (3/25)
e12345r (3/23)

guoj

===DON'T DELETE===
TO ADD YOURSELF:
3. ADD YOURSELF.

High priority waitlist

Nyx1622 (3/24)

Regular waitlist

njcaldwell (3/29)
JohnnyDrama (3/26)
cgscribe (03/24)
ltrain (03/24, tier 2)
gonviper (03/24)
dantt (03/26)
docjg17 (03/24)
CubanDoc (3/26)
Yehosh (3/26)
i'm the map (3/26)
esdp85(3/24)
Homer Simpson (3/24)
orangescape (3/24)
FujiApple (3/26)
LaDAndouna (3/26)
WhyIsThisSoHard (3/26)
4paw (3/26, dated 3/23)group 3
Zellybelly (3/27)
jdm34721 (3/23)
creative11 (3/23)
TheAsianBullet (3/23)
Allie1984 (3/28)
babel (3/24)
uclaRM (5/31 - group 3)
444 (3/23)
Prizzi (3/25)
eekonomics (3/25)
e12345r (3/23)

guoj

===DON'T DELETE===
TO ADD YOURSELF:
3. ADD YOURSELF.

I e-mailed Asst. Dir Barbara Watts this morning and got a reponse 5 min later. The first paragraph of the e-mail said "Thank you for emailing me about your status on the waiting list. You are in Group 1 on our list." I really really hope this isn't a typo. That would be the cruelest joke ever.

congratulations Ehegi!!!

High priority waitlist

Nyx1622 (3/24)

Regular waitlist

njcaldwell (3/29)
JohnnyDrama (3/26)
cgscribe (03/24)
ltrain (03/24, tier 2)
gonviper (03/24)
dantt (03/26)
docjg17 (03/24)
CubanDoc (3/26)
Yehosh (3/26)
i'm the map (3/26)
esdp85(3/24)
Homer Simpson (3/24)
orangescape (3/24)
FujiApple (3/26)
LaDAndouna (3/26)
WhyIsThisSoHard (3/26)
Zellybelly (3/27)
jdm34721 (3/23)
creative11 (3/23)
TheAsianBullet (3/23)
Allie1984 (3/28)
babel (3/24)
uclaRM (5/31 - group 3)
444 (3/23)
Prizzi (3/25)
eekonomics (3/25)
e12345r (3/23)
somerandomename (5/30 - group 2)

guoj

===DON'T DELETE===
TO ADD YOURSELF:
3. ADD YOURSELF.

High priority waitlist

Nyx1622 (3/24)

Regular waitlist

njcaldwell (3/29)
JohnnyDrama (3/26)
cgscribe (03/24)
ltrain (03/24, tier 2)
gonviper (03/24)
dantt (03/26)
docjg17 (03/24)
CubanDoc (3/26)
Yehosh (3/26)
i'm the map (3/26)
esdp85(3/24)
Homer Simpson (3/24)
orangescape (3/24)
FujiApple (3/26)group 3
LaDAndouna (3/26)
WhyIsThisSoHard (3/26)
Zellybelly (3/27)
jdm34721 (3/23)
creative11 (3/23)
TheAsianBullet (3/23)
Allie1984 (3/28)
babel (3/24)
uclaRM (5/31 - group 3)
444 (3/23)
Prizzi (3/25)
eekonomics (3/25)
e12345r (3/23)

guoj

===DON'T DELETE===
TO ADD YOURSELF:
3. ADD YOURSELF.

High priority waitlist

Nyx1622 (3/24)

Regular waitlist

njcaldwell (3/29)
JohnnyDrama (3/26 - group 3)
cgscribe (03/24 - group 2)
ltrain (03/24, group 2)
gonviper (03/24)
dantt (03/26)
docjg17 (03/24)
CubanDoc (3/26)
Yehosh (3/26)
i'm the map (3/26)
esdp85(3/24)
Homer Simpson (3/24)
orangescape (3/24 - group 3)
FujiApple (3/26) group 3
LaDAndouna (3/26)
WhyIsThisSoHard (3/26)
4paw (3/26, dated 3/23) group 3
Zellybelly (3/27)
jdm34721 (3/23)
creative11 (3/23 - group 2)
TheAsianBullet (3/23)
Allie1984 (3/28)
babel (3/24 - group 2)
uclaRM (5/31 - group 3)
444 (3/23)
Prizzi (3/25)
eekonomics (3/25)
e12345r (3/23)
ehegi (5/31 group 1)
jiayou (group 2)
Gabujabu (group 2)
rapidprotocol (group 1)

guoj

===DON'T DELETE===
TO ADD YOURSELF:
3. ADD YOURSELF.
5. IF YOU CAN'T DO IT RIGHT, THEN JUST ASK TO BE ADDED (WITHOUT QUOTING THE WHOLE LIST).[/QUOTE]