Year 4 Clinicals - most in the same spot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted245139

How do residency programs view the diversity of your 4th yr rotation locations?
I ask because I am married and have an apartment with my wife in NY... I've scheduled 4 Emergency Medicine away rotations from July through October and was contemplating scheduling the rest of my 4th yr at the same hospital I was at for the bulk of third year.

I personally see it as a bonus (Since I know all the attendings and residents I am given a TON of leeway for what I am able to be involved in, not only in patient care but on the academic side of things too). Do residency programs look at something like that and wonder why you didn't branch out to more programs?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you're over thinking this.

I am... I'm sticking around. I asked a few residents and they said no one cares lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am... I'm sticking around. I asked a few residents and they said no one cares lol.

Nobody cares. The whole point of 4th year after october is to not work hard

I ask because I am married and have an apartment with my wife in NY... I've scheduled 4 Emergency Medicine away rotations from July through October and was contemplating scheduling the rest of my 4th yr at the same hospital I was at for the bulk of third year.

I personally see it as a bonus (Since I know all the attendings and residents I am given a TON of leeway for what I am able to be involved in, not only in patient care but on the academic side of things too). Do residency programs look at something like that and wonder why you didn't branch out to more programs?

Thanks!

As a LECOM student how are you able to schedule 4 consecutive months of aways July - Oct? I'll be a MS2 at LECOM next year and the excel spreadsheet they gave us with the various groups doesn't have anything like this 4th year? There's at least a month or 2 of bs rotations within those first few blocks..?

well im just using colorful language to describe it... technically, because LECOM lacks a home hospital, ALL our rotations are sort of 'away'. My schedule is this for beginning of 4th yr: Vacation (will do Elective in EM), EM1, EM2, Elective (will do EM). I planned ahead to have all my EM up front

Ah ok, yea I was looking at those first 2 groups as well, glad to hear it works out how I thought. Thanks again for the info, it's not like we're getting it from Clin. Ed...

Ah ok, yea I was looking at those first 2 groups as well, glad to hear it works out how I thought. Thanks again for the info, it's not like we're getting it from Clin. Ed...

I have no idea what you're talking about. The Clin Ed department is incredibly helpful and available to help all students. It's not like they pawn their job off on the student body president or something....:rolleyes:

Thanks!

from my experience, on the interview trail they were most interested in where i did rotations that were pertinent to whatever field i was applying to, and that there was *hopefully* a diversity in program type/patients so that i saw the entire spectrum of the field. they weren't particularly interested in where i did other remaining 4th year requirements...

probably shouldn't have to do more than 2-3 rotations in your desired field, as i heard from multiple attendings that its a good idea to get other electives in as a 4th year med student that you might not get a chance to get once you get into residency. keeps you looking well rounded and not a one trick pony.

I want to do an away rotation in Bradenton in the winter in my 4th yr... ;)

I have no idea what you're talking about. The Clin Ed department is incredibly helpful and available to help all students. It's not like they pawn their job off on the student body president or something....:rolleyes:

sensing sarcasm.

It's very important when picking a schedule to not look at when vacation is or what rotation you have over the holidays. It's more important to pick one that has a 4th year schedule conducive to do away rotations. If you want to do EM, then group 1 is great. If you want to do surgery then group 11 is probably the best (3 electives, CCD and surgical selective before the end of January). Also group 11 is best for those doing military since our match is earlier. I know some people who have 1-2 electives AFTER the ROL is due for the osteo match. Don't expect to be able to change your schedule either.

Nobody cares. The whole point of 4th year after october is to not work hard

So, so true. The gunners keep working hard til January, but us normal folks slack off in October...

So, so true. The gunners keep working hard til January, but us normal folks slack off in October...
and some pre-meds, like us, started slacking off even now :p

noo, I'm a gunner :confused: