Yesterday, I found out that I didn't get a local job I applied for, but wasn't surprised because it was probably filled internally; it was 1 day a week at an infusion center, and I'm pretty sure they hired one of the per diems, a lovely woman I once worked with. I mentioned this on my Facebook page, and one of my FB friends (we were in the same Girl Scout troop) who now works in HR told me that all employers with >25 employees are required by law to post their job openings somewhere, even if they have every intention of filling them with an internal candidate. This job was advertised in the paper, although just once. They did take my resume but never even called me for an interview.
I didn't post it there, but I was kind of glad I didn't get it, because what if I started that job, then later got a job with benefits and more hours, and had to quit almost immediately? Not a good thing.