You know this place is dead when Walgreens does more lay offs and no thread is created

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can I get a response from a mod?

Why is it hidden?

@BC_89 it's your thread
It's hidden because all stickies are hidden by default across the entire forum if you use the default theme. If you switch to the "Basic" theme (i.e. the old one) the stickies aren't hidden anymore.

Don't get me wrong, the default theme is bad and SDN should change it back to the basic one, but they aren't hiding specific threads. That is just how stickies work on the default theme.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user

Why is it hidden?

@BC_89 it's your thread

They are just gonna give generic reasons. It's hidden because SDN is supposed to help students become doctors. In this case, they are all gonna be unemployed doctors.

Why is it hidden?

@BC_89 it's your thread

Stickies throughout all forums on SDN have been adjusted on the app. This has been recent and some tests are being done for the app adjustments. Not sure if its going to stay but many people are indeed pushing to let the old format remain. Just switch your app to the basic theme and it'll reappear.

I am not much of a fan of the updated format myself but its across SDN in general not pharmacy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stickies throughout all forums on SDN have been adjusted on the app. This has been recent and some tests are being done for the app adjustments. Not sure if its going to stay but many people are indeed pushing to let the old format remain. Just switch your app to the basic theme and it'll reappear.

I am not much of a fan of the updated format myself but its across SDN in general not pharmacy.

So you guys do or don't want the sticky to be the first thing students see?

What should be done is a compilation of everything that has been done over the years. Every time another chain does a store hours cut or pharmacist layoff, it should be added.

Instead of hiding this like you guys want, you should be providing valuable information so students will stop seeing 100k salary and jump in.

Last edited:
Lots of people have been losing their jobs of late. It's not just pharmacists.

• Sad
So you guys do or don't want the sticky to be the first thing students see?

Since I implied I hate the format, I'll a bit more clear: We all want the stickies to show or else the same cycle of questions and unwanted posts in wrong forums will happen. Again, it is being worked on to fix some bugs. Upper staff has been informed.

What should be done is a compilation of everything that has been done over the years. Every time another chain does a store hours cut or pharmacist layoff, it should be added.

Anything added within the realms of each forum topic is up to the users to post. Always has been. Just like if a pre-pharm creates a topic about a specific school and their interviews, that is up to them to post not us (again, if the stickies would show they would also know where to go to post such a question instead of here, or the residency subforum, so on and so forth).

Instead of hiding this like you guys want, you should be providing valuable information so students will stop seeing 100k salary and jump in.

Currently an addition to SDN is to include a Finance and Comparisons Calculator for pre-anyones and students to punch in tuition and other expenses to see just how compounding works vs take home salary after taxes. This will be a universal tool that is in the making.

As for the myth of hiding information, No one is at an angle to hide facts about pharmacy (again, a shocker I know). What is becoming a nuisance is every thread posting the same topic throughout all the heading sections in 5 shades of a color taking away the purpose of each subforum. Would you like it if plenty of people jump on the investment thread and simply keep saying pharmacy sucks stay away and not actually contribute?

Anymore questions? Don't hesitate to ask.

Since I implied I hate the format, I'll a bit more clear: We all want the stickies to show or else the same cycle of questions and unwanted posts in wrong forums will happen. Again, it is being worked on to fix some bugs. Upper staff has been informed.

Anything added within the realms of each forum topic is up to the users to post. Always has been. Just like if a pre-pharm creates a topic about a specific school and their interviews, that is up to them to post not us (again, if the stickies would show they would also know where to go to post such a question instead of here, or the residency subforum, so on and so forth).

Currently an addition to SDN is to include a Finance and Comparisons Calculator for pre-anyones and students to punch in tuition and other expenses to see just how compounding works vs take home salary after taxes. This will be a universal tool that is in the making.

As for the myth of hiding information, No one is at an angle to hide facts about pharmacy (again, a shocker I know). What is becoming a nuisance is every thread posting the same topic throughout all the heading sections in 5 shades of a color taking away the purpose of each subforum. Would you like it if plenty of people jump on the investment thread and simply keep saying pharmacy sucks stay away and not actually contribute?

Anymore questions? Don't hesitate to ask.

Please update us when the sticky is fixed so it is the first thing students see.

Also the sticky is closed and can't have anything added. Please consider opening it back up if you truly want students to know what is happening in the real world.

The reason people keep saying it's hidden is it takes extra clicks to see this info which makes us believe it isn't a myth that you guys are trying to hide this stuff (yeah I know shocking)

Finally I have said multiple times I want all job market threads in one area so please don't take your anger out on me, you might get yourself banned if you get too upset and say the wrong thing. I'm on your side, I don't need to see a thousand threads saying the same thing.

Please update us when the sticky is fixed so it is the first thing students see.

Also the sticky is closed and can't have anything added. Please consider opening it back up if you truly want students to know what is happening in the real world.

The reason people keep saying it's hidden is it takes extra clicks to see this info which makes us believe it isn't a myth that you guys are trying to hide this stuff (yeah I know shocking)

Finally I have said multiple times I want all job market threads in one area so please don't take your anger out on me, you might get yourself banned if you get too upset and say the wrong thing. I'm on your side, I don't need to see a thousand threads saying the same thing.

My sarcasm can come off as blunt and demeaning (I admit I do need to work on that). If folks remember the Mega-thread a couple years back that is what the job market thread was suppose to replace by the time I got on board. It is catered to pharmacists and recent grads with a hyperlink leading pre-pharms to the thread from their own sticky. But if this sticky thread is not updated anytime soon I'll see what I can do about that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like heavily targeted rite aid Rph's? For now? Cuts will just keep coming but they really would be shooting themselves in the foot with flu shot season and the elusive covid shot roll out . I wonder how the public will feel about going to their Walgreens/cvs for a flu shot versus the more sterile doc office tho.

My sarcasm can come off as blunt and demeaning (I admit I do need to work on that). If folks remember the Mega-thread a couple years back that is what the job market thread was suppose to replace by the time I got on board. It is catered to pharmacists and recent grads with a hyperlink leading pre-pharms to the thread from their own sticky. But if this sticky thread is not updated anytime soon I'll see what I can do about that.

You need training from @owlegrad

Gotta commit if you are going to be sarcastic. You came off very bitter.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Sounds like heavily targeted rite aid Rph's? For now? Cuts will just keep coming but they really would be shooting themselves in the foot with flu shot season and the elusive covid shot roll out . I wonder how the public will feel about going to their Walgreens/cvs for a flu shot versus the more sterile doc office tho.
I don't get why retail pharmacists think they have some sort of intrinsic value tied to giving shots such that if they get fired there will be nobody to do them. These duties don't require a clinical skillset and can be easily be passed off to techs, interns or the infinite supply of APPE students, and rest assured that there is a push for this to happen in areas where it is not happening today. There is no silver lining for the death of the retail pharmacist...

Reactions: 2 users
Moving this to job-market sub-forum but as an update:

Due to changes with SDN format adjustments the ability of accessing the Job-Market section is going to change that I believe will benefit our recent grads as well as pre-pharm viewers and visibility with said sub-forum.

An update will be given once this is done. Stay tuned.

Moving this to job-market sub-forum but as an update:

Due to changes with SDN format adjustments the ability of accessing the Job-Market section is going to change that I believe will benefit our recent grads as well as pre-pharm viewers and visibility with said sub-forum.

An update will be given once this is done. Stay tuned.

I understand how this fits in the Job Market subforum more than the main forum, but man oh man do I hate having to check 4 different forums.

I'd argue this is a pretty massive topic that could have stood staying in the main forum because of its "breaking news" nature.

Rumor has it thst 9am to 7pm is the new target that Walgreens wants the majority of there pharmacies at. I for one am not excited to figure out how to get my days workload done on 2 less hours per night, 7pm is still pretty much drive time at my store.

I understand how this fits in the Job Market subforum more than the main forum, but man oh man do I hate having to check 4 different forums.

I'd argue this is a pretty massive topic that could have stood staying in the main forum because of its "breaking news" nature.

With the new theme on SDN and other changes (such as not having the stickies and such appear as normal) I can see that other changes need to be implemented. We'll see what we can do.

I don't get why retail pharmacists think they have some sort of intrinsic value tied to giving shots such that if they get fired there will be nobody to do them. These duties don't require a clinical skillset and can be easily be passed off to techs, interns or the infinite supply of APPE students, and rest assured that there is a push for this to happen in areas where it is not happening today. There is no silver lining for the death of the retail pharmacist...

sure because there certainly won’t be any push back from pharmacy techs themselves having to administer the shots.

I get the death of retail pharmacy but like ok call me when Walgreens starts training techs to vaccinate.

what’s next? Techs take on the PIC role? I mean probably. The store manager is already above PIC haha

sure because there certainly won’t be any push back from pharmacy techs themselves having to administer the shots.

I get the death of retail pharmacy but like ok call me when Walgreens starts training techs to vaccinate.

what’s next? Techs take on the PIC role? I mean probably. The store manager is already above PIC haha
Why would techs push back? If anything they'd welcome a change in he monotony of having to deal with patients complaining about their insurances or filling prescriptions.

Corporate can also easily structure it to incentivize techs to get immunization certified. Just put together a payment schedule like the following:

Technician - $12/hr
Certified (PTCB) technician - $13/hr
PTCB technician + immunization certified - $13.50/hr

And watch the fish bite.

Technician - $12/hr

And watch the fish bite.

Yeaaaaaaahhhh I have techs who still won't take PTCB to get a $4/hr bump from $16/hr to $20/hr.

Good luck with that.

Why would techs push back? If anything they'd welcome a change in he monotony of having to deal with patients complaining about their insurances or filling prescriptions.

Corporate can also easily structure it to incentivize techs to get immunization certified. Just put together a payment schedule like the following:

Technician - $12/hr

And watch the fish bite.
Yet Target pays $15

Just took a look at what they're saying over at Reddit and it sounded like it was mostly new grads that were being let go, but they were canning some long timers too? Any idea what the new starting rates will be?

Also, this should be posted in the pre-pharm forum for them to take note.

Confirmed, $44 starting rate in an area of the Midwest.

Yes that's like $70k with 32 hours

Good luck getting those loans paid off.

Yet all these new grads think they are getting paid 6 figures

Happy 4th everyone!!!!

Last edited:

Happy 4th everyone!!!!

They might as well join me in either CS bootcamp or a CS masters program and just plan on signing up for PAYE. Entry-level software devs make more than that here in my bottom-of-the-barrel southeast city (especially if they're willing to work second or third shift) and with better benefits. Currently looking into taking elective courses as part of my CS masters program (if I choose to do one) that would qualify and make me competitive for positions that involve working rotating night shifts and call schedules and start at north of $100k (e.g., site reliability engineer).

It's amazing how there are other fields out there in which a willingness to go above and beyond and take jobs that others might not want because of schedule or undesirable factors can reward someone with above-average compensation and access to more opportunities... and yet pharmacy is now so saturated that it takes that same willingness to put up with undesirable job elements just to get a retail chain job somewhere, anywhere.

I have yet to see a pharmacist successfully changing the entire career path.

All this talk about backup is nothing but p!ssing in the wind!

Technician - $12/hr

And watch the fish bite.

Many places already pay techs $15/hr starting.

Yet Target pays $15
Many places already pay techs $15/hr starting.
Well you get the point. Offer minimal incremental raises on top of the maximum tech pay today to incentivize them to get certifications for providing "enhanced" services. For low earners like techs, this makes a world of difference (compared to giving a pharmacist a $.50-$1 raise on their $50+ salary).

You know what sucks. Extra $600 per week of pandemic unemployment is about to run out. So the newly unemployed will not even get that perk. If this happened in March, they could be sitting home, taking no risk and collecting at least 50% of their salary, and in some cases a lot more.

Seriously though. How many are going to try and reapply to Walgreens after being let go? That is what they want you to do. Reapply at 2/3rd of your previous salary.

Meijer is hiring rphs at 65 per hour as of 1 week ago.

You know what sucks. Extra $600 per week of pandemic unemployment is about to run out. So the newly unemployed will not even get that perk. If this happened in March, they could be sitting home, taking no risk and collecting at least 50% of their salary, and in some cases a lot more.

Seriously though. How many are going to try and reapply to Walgreens after being let go? That is what they want you to do. Reapply at 2/3rd of your previous salary.
There shouldn't have been an incentive to being out of work anyways

Well you get the point. Offer minimal incremental raises on top of the maximum tech pay today to incentivize them to get certifications for providing "enhanced" services. For low earners like techs, this makes a world of difference (compared to giving a pharmacist a $.50-$1 raise on their $50+ salary).

Actually the point I was getting at is if you truly want good techs, start at $15 with many raises.

I have yet to see a pharmacist successfully changing the entire career path.

All this talk about backup is nothing but p!ssing in the wind!
When pharmacist jobs start paying $70k you'll see a whole lot of them changing careers.

Happy 4th everyone!!!!

Is that where you work? Any worry about being targeted for your current pay rate. I'm around 60/h which puts me at the low end of the old(ish) guard and even I'm worried about a bullseye on myself with new grads going from 55/h to 50/h in my area.

Is that where you work? Any worry about being targeted for your current pay rate. I'm around 60/h which puts me at the low end of the old(ish) guard and even I'm worried about a bullseye on myself with new grads going from 55/h to 50/h in my area.

A lot of us long term pharmacists have been capped for awhile. When I start seeing others let go, I'll be concerned. I think Walgreens will continue going the slow approach of lowering wages for new hires with the occasional mass layoffs again but won't straight up say, everyone gets a pay decrease.

A statistic I'm curious to see is the percent at these lower wages. Almost every floater I see at this point is either a new grad or a year in and obviously these are sadly the people getting staff jobs too.

Are people really only getting 32 hours? I keep hearing that figure but everyone I know has 40....

some people (partially retired or second income) would love the opportunity to only work 32 hours.

Are people really only getting 32 hours? I keep hearing that figure but everyone I know has 40....

some people (partially retired or second income) would love the opportunity to only work 32 hours.
All new grads are offered 32 hours instead of 40 hours.

I'm sure a lot of the times they get 40 hours especially during times like now when everyone wants vacation.

I've heard managers are the next target. Going to have 1 manager for every 2 to 3 stores.

Probably store managers, not PICs... because in that sense you are correct, you can only be PIC for one pharmacy at a time.

Don’t think that’s feasible either..

Probably store managers, not PICs... because in that sense you are correct, you can only be PIC for one pharmacy at a time.

I heard this idea get floated last year. Wouldn’t surprise me if that’s next too.

I heard this idea get floated last year. Wouldn’t surprise me if that’s next too.

I don't know about this. My store manager seems to have more work then ever right now with dwindling budgets but maybe their employees just suck.

Is 40 hours their base or do they get 32 hours base and pickup extra shifts? In other words, if they only work 32 hours per week, would they get paid for 40 hours? If not then their base is 32 hours, not 40.

My base was only 36 when I graduated in 2014. Some people only had 30 back then.

Is 40 hours their base or do they get 32 hours base and pickup extra shifts? In other words, if they only work 32 hours per week, would they get paid for 40 hours? If not then their base is 32 hours, not 40.

My base was only 36 when I graduated in 2014. Some people only had 30 back then.

At Kroger it was guaranteed 32 hours, with the ability of management to increase your hours to 39. They wouldn't schedule 40 because at that point you're considered an hourly associate and you will easily go into OT just by virtue of getting to work 10 minutes early and nobody ever leaves on time.

I don't know about this. My store manager seems to have more work then ever right now with dwindling budgets but maybe their employees just suck.

I can imagine the model working with slow stores.

All the members that sdn has banned have to moved onto reddit