You know this place is dead when Walgreens does more lay offs and no thread is created

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For the record, Walgreens Seems to be handling severance package based on state laws based on what I’ve observed. Some people got absolutely nothing.

Members don't see this ad.

Im sick and tired of tech. It just lasts for a few years and changes. Im single for now, but if I have a family. I cant keep up
It would depend on where you work. My cousin worked Intel for 4 years before switching to Amazon, but then again he also has a Masters in CS. I think FANG would be more stable.

It would depend on where you work. My cousin worked Intel for 4 years before switching to Amazon, but then again he also has a Masters in CS. I think FANG would be more stable.
Companies last 21 years. I don’t think anything is stable lol. Age discrimination hits later

Members don't see this ad :)
I have yet to see a pharmacist successfully changing the entire career path.

All this talk about backup is nothing but p!ssing in the wind!

Challenge accepted, my friend. Challenge accepted.

Reactions: 1 user
Companies last 21 years. I don’t think anything is stable lol. Age discrimination hits later
Maybe you are right. But even medicine is now not stable. This COVID-19 is affecting all jobs. At least with CS or Medicine, you will at least get a job.

Maybe you are right. But even medicine is now not stable. This COVID-19 is affecting all jobs. At least with CS or Medicine, you will at least get a job.
nah look at LinkedIn, write layoff in content and you see its all the SWE, AWS and Data scientist. There is no need for so many

Its all a hype. We go from one hype to the next. Just to saturate each one. All this coding stuff is the next pharmacy until the next profession. React , web development is phasing out. apps been done to death. They are going to find the next big thing which is data science, going to die off in the next 5 years. Then look into quantum, blockchains. And guess who has to learn this? that poor SWE with no life lol

nah look at LinkedIn, write layoff in content and you see its all the SWE, AWS and Data scientist. There is no need for so many
Just typed it in linked in. You are correct. Although many seem to be foreign CS grads with H1bs. But still maybe risky for even the American graduate. Dang, I thought tech would survive through the pandemic. Dang, it was just hype. I guess need to go to a top school then to survive in tech.

• Haha
Just typed it in linked in. You are correct. Although many seem to be foreign CS grads with H1bs. But still maybe risky for even the American graduate. Dang, I thought tech would survive through the pandemic. Dang, it was just hype. I guess need to go to a top school then to survive in tech.
most people dont last in these white collar jobs. SWE, and teachers, Pharmacist, doctors have the highest burn out and leave profession altogether rate. Most people dont really want to code, just enjoy the lifestyle . degree inflation like pharmacy is coming and even ivy leagues are no longer looking for top grades. Top 10 coding schools are not even ivy anymore around the world.

Yeah if you looked at Silicon Valley. On google there were a lot of layoff by big companies, even FANG now. The days of easy investor money is over.

There are a lot more foreigners competing for tech jobs too. And the advantage they have compared to foreign pharmacists competing for pharmacist jobs is that communication/english-speaking skills is not a barrier to entry to tech jobs since most jobs require only technical skills, as opposed to pharmacist jobs requiring some balance between technical and soft/communication skills (which weeds out a lot of foreign pharmacists from competition in the job market).

At some point, I think someone has to just accept that there's no such thing as a 100% risk-free career and just pursue one that has a favorable risk vs. reward ratio. In my case (and I would assume many recent pharmacy school graduates are in the same position), I really have no choice. I'm looking at having zero job prospects in pharmacy unless I want to apply to the worst jobs in the profession and live in the most undesirable areas of the country or taking my risks with CS, which at least isn't yet in the same world of hurt that pharmacy has found itself in.

Reactions: 1 users

Just curious, what are you referring to specifically? Are there articles on LinkedIn that reference tech industry layoffs or something?

Just curious, what are you referring to specifically? Are there articles on LinkedIn that reference tech industry layoffs or something?
type layoff on search bar and click content underneath. Bunch people from marketing, IT say that they have been laid off due to COVID. For IT, I see mainly postings from H1Bs, not sure about American grads. It is safe to safe to say no job is secure. Just be competitive and provide value to the company you work for. Benefits should outweigh the risks. I agree many of the other careers are not experiencing the same level of hurt as Pharmacy

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
At some point, I think someone has to just accept that there's no such thing as a 100% risk-free career and just pursue one that has a favorable risk vs. reward ratio. In my case (and I would assume many recent pharmacy school graduates are in the same position), I really have no choice. I'm looking at having zero job prospects in pharmacy unless I want to apply to the worst jobs in the profession and live in the most undesirable areas of the country or taking my risks with CS, which at least isn't yet in the same world of hurt that pharmacy has found itself in.
By 4 years of applying. Think of the h1b and outsource jobs. Then boot camps. And think of the numbers being added every year. I’m sure it’s even more than pharmacy school right now

type layoff on search bar and click content underneath. Bunch people from marketing, IT say that they have been laid off due to COVID. For IT, I see mainly postings from H1Bs, not sure about American grads. It is safe to safe to say no job is secure. Just be competitive and provide value to the company you work for. Benefits should outweigh the risks. I agree many of the other careers are not experiencing the same level of hurt as Pharmacy
For now. I made a thread about each year getting worse than the last. It’s because of how many people apply. A lot of people join the global workforce each year with less resources available. But if it’s a risk you guys wanna take. Go for it

For now. I made a thread about each year getting worse than the last. It’s because of how many people apply. A lot of people join the global workforce each year with less resources available. But if it’s a risk you guys wanna take. Go for it

Ok, if CS is now too saturated to pursue, what are some other alternatives?

Think non traditional.

Ok, but is the CS job market so saturated that I'm likely to have the same experience applying for CS jobs as I've had applying for pharmacy jobs?

To be more specific, I haven't been able to line up an interview for even ONE hospital pharmacist job at any facility anywhere in the country. I also know for a fact that I wouldn't be able to get a chain retail pharmacist job unless I applied to openings in rural states. Are you really saying that I'll have such a similarly hard time finding an entry-level software developer job to the extent that I won't be able to get even ONE job offer?

Ok, but is the CS job market so saturated that I'm likely to have the same experience applying for CS jobs as I've had applying for pharmacy jobs?

To be more specific, I haven't been able to line up an interview for even ONE hospital pharmacist job at any facility anywhere in the country. I also know for a fact that I wouldn't be able to get a chain retail pharmacist job unless I applied to openings in rural states. Are you really saying that I'll have such a similarly hard time finding an entry-level software developer job to the extent that I won't be able to get even ONE job offer?

There are too many of you guys

pre pandemic level. My friends manager is trying to learn new tech just to survive. Backend is dead of AWS, front end dead by Wordpress. Developers are making website design by non coding. As I said when will the next big thing come like floppy disk being dead? think its a non ending cycle of self learning

this data science thing will die. How many business analyst you need when you got like tableau and Microsoft power BI?

Its like micro merchant rx summary. come on. Whats next? 5g? quantum? blockchain? there is a literally a lifespan chart online of existing tech. It usually lasts 5 years. no one using Ruby on Rails, JS, react anymore in 2020

this data science thing will die. How many business analyst you need when you got like tableau and Microsoft power BI?

Its like micro merchant rx summary. come on. Whats next? 5g? quantum? blockchain? there is a literally a lifespan chart online of existing tech. It usually lasts 5 years. no one using Ruby on Rails, JS, react anymore in 2020

It's clear that you have pretty strong feelings regarding the CS job market and the future of the tech industry, and your sentiments could very well end up being prophecies, but at some point those of us with absolutely no other career prospects are just going to have to take a gamble on something that holds at least some promise. Personally, I really don't have any other choice.

Here is one from Techlead on what you should do. And explaining why tech is changing. Sorry Ive posting a lot and splitting it. And not writing it in paragraph like you lol. But yea, I hope you find this useful

It's clear that you have pretty strong feelings regarding the CS job market and the future of the tech industry, and your sentiments could very well end up being prophecies, but at some point those of us with absolutely no other career prospects are just going to have to take a gamble on something that holds at least some promise. Personally, I really don't have any other choice.
some promise for now, like the lawyers leaving law school for pharmacy school back in 2011. Only to come in 2015 and realize its bad. then here we are in 2020 but good luck. Im not going this path for sure

IF..you should be so foolish as to dive into the pharmacy trade...realize that you are joining a financially disastrous circle jerk..there are still flows of money..yours will flow to desperate pharmacy "schools". As little as possible will flow from big chains to the crews behind the counter....Insurance co's to chains etc. You will be a tiny blip in an out of control free market...If you like adventure....go for it....

some promise for now, like the lawyers leaving law school for pharmacy school back in 2011. Only to come in 2015 and realize its bad. then here we are in 2020 but good luck. Im not going this path for sure

I'll be sure to watch some of the videos you linked to later today. For now, I'm just hoping that my willingness to be flexible will help me find at least *A* job in the tech industry after completing a bootcamp or CS degree. Like I said in my last post, I honestly don't know what else to do at this point.

Most of you guys don’t wanna code. Get back to me when you tackle a Algorithmn or try designing some stuff. You just want the lifestyle of a pharmacist and coder. Give it a try like working in a pharmacy. If you like it then go for it
I'll be sure to watch some of the videos you linked to later today. For now, I'm just hoping that my willingness to be flexible will help me find at least *A* job in the tech industry after completing a bootcamp or CS degree. Like I said in my last post, I honestly don't know what else to do at this point.
yeah man I totally get you. Just be informed and if you do it like you did in pharmacy. You take the responsibility for your direction. I would do pa at this point. But I decided a 3rd path. The video above by Joshua fluke shows bankers and swe laid off. There are several videos. It’s a really good. My 3rd path is depending on my connections to get me there. It’s not a path most people are willing to take. Remember when you are a outlier things work in your favor including doing things people don’t jump on the next bandwagon for

Personally, I really don't have any other choice.
You have literally thousands of choices. You just want a guarantee, and fields where pretty pretty much everyone with a pulse is guaranteed a well-paying job are few and far between, and don't stay that way for long - precisely because everyone is going there. It only mnakes sense to jump on a trend when it's early on. Sure, figuring out the next great thing before everyone else would be great, I get it that most people aren't cut out for this (neither am I) but if you just try to chase trends, you risk spending your whole life chasing pipe dreams and getting disappointed every step of the way.

I would suggest examining what you would actually like doing, where you have skills that would set you apart from everyone else, and what has good job prospects for when you would be graduating. The intersection of all three is your sweet spot. If you want to run with the herd, you can, of course, but you better be sure (as in, have some proof and not just Mommy telling you you are speshul) that can outrun enough other herd members to get the job at the end.

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Yep, it will get uglier before it gets any better.. all this 'sitting at home' is not sustainable in the long term. And it's not like coronavirus is the only problem, it just exacerbated the many other issues that were already going on. Whatever new normal we will have will take at best years to shake out.

CS jobs are not saturated in America right now. For all other countries, its just as bad as pharmacy. Don't become a programmer though, I don't see too many programmer jobs available
But yeah, the video lubeckd posted is right. Don't go into CS if you aren't interested in developing some software on your spare time for FUN

It’s a sinking ship folks...

This is how I feel these days. Not just with pharmacy but with everything. I see myself as Leonardo and my wife as whatever her name is - however I have lost the youthful glow and have put on about 100 lbs.

Time to just let go. I’m having butter sandwiches for dinner tonight. I actually dig into a cold stick of butter along the long side and place a large/thick sliver of butter onto a folded piece of white bread. This and some chocolate whole milk. Then I will plop down and play some Wolfenstein with my noise canceling headphones - somehow it makes it all better for a little while.

...Time to just let go. I’m having butter sandwiches for dinner tonight. I actually dig into a cold stick of butter along the long side and place a large/thick sliver of butter onto a folded piece of white bread. This and some chocolate whole milk. Then I will plop down and play some Wolfenstein with my noise canceling headphones - somehow it makes it all better for a little while.
Try putting some sugar on it and toasting them on a fry pan until they get very toasty. Very delicious snack... or maybe this is your dinner?

You have literally thousands of choices. You just want a guarantee, and fields where pretty pretty much everyone with a pulse is guaranteed a well-paying job are few and far between, and don't stay that way for long - precisely because everyone is going there. It only mnakes sense to jump on a trend when it's early on. Sure, figuring out the next great thing before everyone else would be great, I get it that most people aren't cut out for this (neither am I) but if you just try to chase trends, you risk spending your whole life chasing pipe dreams and getting disappointed every step of the way.

I would suggest examining what you would actually like doing, where you have skills that would set you apart from everyone else, and what has good job prospects for when you would be graduating. The intersection of all three is your sweet spot. If you want to run with the herd, you can, of course, but you better be sure (as in, have some proof and not just Mommy telling you you are speshul) that can outrun enough other herd members to get the job at the end.

I probably should have been more specific in my previous post when I said that I didn't really have any other choice. At my age, I would rather not pursue a career that will require years of additional time in school to become qualified. AFAIK, comp sci and data sci are the only fields in which 3-4 month bootcamp courses are a viable training option. You could make the case that having such short training options available makes it even more likely that the job market will become saturated, and that's why I'm looking at enrolling in only one of the top 3 bootcamp programs that are relatively competitive to get accepted to and have very good job placement stats. I also didn't mention in my last post that I'd like to do something that pays relatively well, so that reduces my options to even fewer potential careers.

I just think it's a bit premature to declare the CS job market to be as saturated and dead-end as pharmacy's. One key distinction is the fact that various subspecialties of CS are projected to continue growing substantially in terms of overall demand/job growth, whereas the pharmacy job market projections show literally NO job growth at all. So even if a number of pharmacy schools actually did close down, it would still be difficult for pharmacists already working in the field to find jobs, simply because very few new jobs are being created (and this was even the case in pre-pandemic times).

It's like I posted above in response to Lubeckd; right now, there likely isn't an inpatient hospital pharmacist job in the country that I would stand a chance at getting hired for, and my chances of getting a retail job aren't much better. So I think it's relevant to ask if CS is likely to be just as brutally saturated by the time I'd be finishing a bootcamp program (potentially a masters degree instead) that I'd have next to no chance of getting *A* job anywhere at all. I guess that could end up being the case, although I think I'm willing to take my chances on that.

At the very least, the two companies in my city that hire CS professionals said I wouldn't have a problem getting hired for a second or third shift software engineer position. On the other hand, almost none of the 10-12 residents who have completed the local hospital network's residency program have been able to find anything (and it's only been PRN or PT positions for the one or two who have), and this is the case for the last several years' worth of graduating classes. I'll know that the CS job market really is in bad shape when it becomes impossible to get a job in undesirable cities like mine.

CS jobs are not saturated in America right now. For all other countries, its just as bad as pharmacy. Don't become a programmer though, I don't see too many programmer jobs available
But yeah, the video lubeckd posted is right. Don't go into CS if you aren't interested in developing some software on your spare time for FUN

When you say to not become a programmer, what do you suggest going for instead? Don't the majority of traditional CS degree programs and bootcamps prepare their graduates for programming jobs?

Try putting some sugar on it and toasting them on a fry pan until they get very toasty. Very delicious snack... or maybe this is your dinner?

This is a good idea- tonight it will be my dinner.

I probably should have been more specific in my previous post when I said that I didn't really have any other choice. At my age, I would rather not pursue a career that will require years of additional time in school to become qualified. AFAIK, comp sci and data sci are the only fields in which 3-4 month bootcamp courses are a viable training option. You could make the case that having such short training options available makes it even more likely that the job market will become saturated, and that's why I'm looking at enrolling in only one of the top 3 bootcamp programs that are relatively competitive to get accepted to and have very good job placement stats. I also didn't mention in my last post that I'd like to do something that pays relatively well, so that reduces my options to even fewer potential careers.

I just think it's a bit premature to declare the CS job market to be as saturated and dead-end as pharmacy's. One key distinction is the fact that various subspecialties of CS are projected to continue growing substantially in terms of overall demand/job growth, whereas the pharmacy job market projections show literally NO job growth at all. So even if a number of pharmacy schools actually did close down, it would still be difficult for pharmacists already working in the field to find jobs, simply because very few new jobs are being created (and this was even the case in pre-pandemic times).

It's like I posted above in response to Lubeckd; right now, there likely isn't an inpatient hospital pharmacist job in the country that I would stand a chance at getting hired for, and my chances of getting a retail job aren't much better. So I think it's relevant to ask if CS is likely to be just as brutally saturated by the time I'd be finishing a bootcamp program (potentially a masters degree instead) that I'd have next to no chance of getting *A* job anywhere at all. I guess that could end up being the case, although I think I'm willing to take my chances on that.

At the very least, the two companies in my city that hire CS professionals said I wouldn't have a problem getting hired for a second or third shift software engineer position. On the other hand, almost none of the 10-12 residents who have completed the local hospital network's residency program have been able to find anything (and it's only been PRN or PT positions for the one or two who have), and this is the case for the last several years' worth of graduating classes. I'll know that the CS job market really is in bad shape when it becomes impossible to get a job in undesirable cities like mine.
That’s a positive for CS compared to pharmacy. What does your cousin say about the job market for programmers in cyber security?

there's always sales...right?

my best friend from childhood went to school for architecture , graduated high school 2002. they worked her like a slave until financial crisis (didn't last long in architecture) then she went into sales. started off at xerox sales. then she fought for drug or medical sales. she finally got in with a drug company probably about 5 years ago. and she loves it and tries to convince me every day to go into industry. she lives in midwest btw. but of course they are always going through re-structuring. she lost her job in the past year but went on to sales in the botox industry most recently a couple months before covid hit but she still has her job.

just thinking out loud. adding to the perspective.

Na
doesn't need to be. remember they can import someone with a visa

Mmm what's that odor? WALGREENS. It's fried. All those off site immunizations, unpaid hours, rushing arouund the pharmacy like an idiot, and let's not forget the inane metrics. It's so hilarious that they put so much pressure on rphs to meet business goals where are the folks at the top?

I actually feel sorry for wagrxm. Years of no raises and now this.

I probably should have been more specific in my previous post when I said that I didn't really have any other choice.
Even after you have been eaten, you have two options. (c)

1) What advantage(s) do you have over others when competing for those CS jobs bootcamps would qualify you for?
2) If, upon completing that program, you find yourself having difficulty finding a job, what's your plan?

1) What advantage(s) do you have over others when competing for those CS jobs bootcamps would qualify you for?
2) If, upon completing that program, you find yourself having difficulty finding a job, what's your plan?
bootcamp will teach him outdated stuff. people who dont even work in the field.

That’s a positive for CS compared to pharmacy. What does your cousin say about the job market for programmers in cyber security?
constantly changing as well. you can hack windows but not windows 10 right now. Mac is also harder to crack. But other than that Cyber is a good one

Na

doesn't need to be. remember they can import someone with a visa
Are you talking about software developers + engineers? Im not talking about IT or programming. Also, people from other countries ask about if america hire someone over seas. I have two family members that are software engineers in different countries but they don't get any offers from US. They only get paid like 40k with experience vs. ~100k here.

When you say to not become a programmer, what do you suggest going for instead? Don't the majority of traditional CS degree programs and bootcamps prepare their graduates for programming jobs?
Sorry, I was thinking of just coders. Didn't think programmers also dealt with data analytics. But didn't you say in some other thread that you got word from a tech company they would hire you if you completed a specific bootcamp course? I know a couple of people that did this too and are now set with finding other jobs due to their experience over degree holders with no experience.
Try computerscience.org to get more info on all the careers related to CS.

Last edited:
Tech companies are laying off people right now.

Those are good questions. To try and answer the first one, I believe there are several factors that collectively determine how competitive someone is as a bootcamp or CS degree program graduate. Two of them are the strength of their project portfolio (I.e., programs they created during school) and their ability to pass an on-site technical interview at a company that's interested in hiring them ("If you encountered this software problem at work, walk us through the process you'd utilize to mitigate it").

There's also the element of how flexible a graduate is willing to be when it comes to location and job title (I.e., front-end developer, back-end developer, database engineer, etc.). The nice thing about the tech industry is that with maybe a few rare exceptions, there are practically no companies located in BFE, so being stuck in some rural BFE hellscape isn't nearly as much of a likelihood as it is in pharmacy.

To answer your second question, I'm not sure. I think it will largely depend on the reason I'm unable to find a job. If it's because companies would hire degree-educated engineers over bootcamp graduates, then I may have to consider doing a 2-yr MS degree in CS, assuming I don't do one in the first place. If the reason I can't find a job is because the job market is truly oversaturated, then I guess I'll have to go back to the drawing board and reevaluate all my options. All I know is that I'd rather take the risk of eventually finding myself in that position over working at CVS/Walgreens in some middle-of-nowhere small town.

Again, I think it's a bit extreme to declare the CS job market to be pharmacy-tier saturated at this point, but who knows what it might look like ~6 months from now (which is around when I'd be graduating from a bootcamp program). Are people simply basing that statement on the fact that there are lots of bootcamp and degree programs nowadays, and so they figure it's an inevitability that the job market will be saturated soon? Like I said in a previous post, at least CS and its various subspecialties are still projected to experience job growth for the foreseeable future. Even regardless of the number of annual pharmacy school graduates, there is virtually no job growth in the pharmacy profession.