You know you're a premed gunner when...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
that was awesome.

Members don't see this ad.

:(

I asked for MCAT Prep material in junior year of high school. And I got them. I argue with teachers on multiple choice for half points.

Gunner high school premed?

#26 - You're genuinely embarassed about scoring a 30 on the MCAT

Members don't see this ad :)
#27 - You are constantly trying to "improve" the Cell-Molec class by interrupting the lecture to ask the professor to specifically cover MCAT material.

(I hated that chick SO SO SO much)

#28 (maybe? I think the numbers got a little mixed up in the middle there):
You record sounds like loud computer fans, loud air vents, the heavy breathing of a fellow test taker, tapping feet, scratching, etc and play them back while you take the official AAMC practice MCATs so that you won't be distracted by ANYTHING during the actual test...including you making such noises yourself.

#29: You read any of these and think "That's a GREAT idea! Why haven't I been doing that?!"

#28 (maybe? I think the numbers got a little mixed up in the middle there):
You record sounds like loud computer fans, loud air vents, the heavy breathing of a fellow test taker, tapping feet, scratching, etc and play them back while you take the official AAMC practice MCATs so that you won't be distracted by ANYTHING during the actual test...including you making such noises yourself.

#29: You read any of these and think "That's a GREAT idea! Why haven't I been doing that?!"

I actually thought that this would be a great idea....

This one probably happens a lot...

31. You bring your parents to your Medical school interview.

I actually thought that this would be a great idea....

Haha, yeah it was something I actually considered doing. My father's computer office/study/room is the best place for a simulated test atmosphere in my house, but his desktop computer is pretty old and worn out so the fan is RIDICULOUSLY loud. So I thought, I should probably just get used to this...and maybe anything else. So far I've never taken the time to do it and have just made due with the actual annoying noises in my house.

Technically it's only a gunner move if you do it so that YOU can make annoying noises in the test room without being distracted by any yourself. Otherwise, it's just super-cautious.

32. You break the console of an elliptical in the gym with a 2000-page biochem book.

you use medical terminology in regular conversations LoL

Last edited:
This one probably happens a lot...

31. You bring your parents to your Medical school interview.

LoL I'm embarrasingly guilty LoL but if it helps... my mom only came the night before my first interview and left in the morning.

...... it doesn't help does it LoL

you find a way to bring up the fact that you are goign to med school in EVERY conversation. Or even worse, you introduce yourself as a "med student" even tho you havent started med school yet (this counts even if you have been accepted somewhere). If thats not characteristic of a gunner, at the very least it makes you a giant douche.

Members don't see this ad :)
LoL I'm embarrasingly guilty LoL but if it helps... my mom only came the night before my first interview and left in the morning.

...... it doesn't help does it LoL

No worries there, what was meant is that some people bring their parents TO the interview and have them sit in the waiting room for them. I also saw one girl bring her boyfriend (who was in jeans and a t-shirt) to an interview. He hung out with her the whole day, had lunch with us (which I personally though was kind of rude, but maybe the asked), and went on the tours. She didn´t talk to anyone because she was always hanging out with him. Seriously, I can´t believe that the adcom (who is ALWAYS watching) wouldn´t raise eyebrows over loved ones being brought to interviews. I mean, its not like there aren´t 1000000 coffee shops near medical schools. You plop your butt down and wait for the phone call to come pick your loved one up.

No worries there, what was meant is that some people bring their parents TO the interview and have them sit in the waiting room for them. I also saw one girl bring her boyfriend (who was in jeans and a t-shirt) to an interview. He hung out with her the whole day, had lunch with us (which I personally though was kind of rude, but maybe the asked), and went on the tours. She didn´t talk to anyone because she was always hanging out with him. Seriously, I can´t believe that the adcom (who is ALWAYS watching) wouldn´t raise eyebrows over loved ones being brought to interviews. I mean, its not like there aren´t 1000000 coffee shops near medical schools. You plop your butt down and wait for the phone call to come pick your loved one up.

At an interview one of the interviewees brought his dad who was a doctor. During the tour and at any opportunity the dad would chat up the faculty. I thought it was completely transparent but no one did/said anything about it. :laugh:

21) A gunner is the guy who shows up for the exam, notices everybody studying, smells the fear and decides to ask questions he or she already knows the answer to just to get everybody to freak out.
33. When they're wrong, you just say "oh yeah" and hope that topic shows up on the test.

you use medical terminology in regular conversations LoL

I love doing that:D

Why say heart attack when you can say Mycardial Infarcation?

Or what about shin splints? Technically they are anterior/medial/posterior Tibialis Stress syndrome.

Or my personal favorite! Runners knee is technically called Petelofemoral chondromalacia!

Oh and don't forget eating can be replaced with Trophophaging!

Drinking water is hydropining, drinking milk is lactopining, drinking soda is glucohydropining.

Dosn't that just trip of the tongue?:D

Oh and don't forget when people ask you what specialty you plan to enter to reply: chirodigiorthoplastic surgery! Isn't medical terminology fun;)

Bonus points if you can describe what that super sub specialty does;)

Why say heart attack when you can say Myocardial Infarcation?

Or what about shin splints? Technically they are anterior/medial/posterior Tibialis Stress syndrome.

Or my personal favorite! Runners knee is technically called Patellofemoral chondromalacia!

Drinking water is hydropining, drinking milk is lactopining, drinking soda is glucohydropining.

Oh and don't forget when people ask you what specialty you want to go in to say: chirodigiorthoplastic surgery! Isn't medical terminology fun;)

you're so superior.

Why say heart attack when you can say Mycardial Infarcation?

Or my personal favorite! Runners knee is technically called Petelofemoral chondromalacia!

Oh and don't forget when people ask you what specialty you plan to enter to reply: chirodigiorthoplastic surgery! Isn't medical terminology fun;)

Bonus points if you can describe what that super sub specialty does;)

:laugh::rofl:

#34 Bypass the homeless who is dying and rushing to hospital to volunteer because it doesn't count as volunteering hours.

I believe I'm entitled to my opinions. If you want to resort to name-calling, that's your prerogative :)

I'm Asian American as well, and I don't like those comments.

I'm a Biochemistry/Biology tutor for my peers on my free time. I'm even sitting in for 2 summer classes while working full time and studying for the MCATs to help out my friends. I've been reading medical/pharmacy/dental personal statements all summer long to help get my friends into their respective graduate schools. I'm no gunner.

We can have a friendly discussion and a good time here without bringing race into this.

My two cents. You'll have to forgive me if I'm not a big fan of racial stereotypes.

-Mipp0

it's called sense of humor
being friendly isnt funny..boo

I believe I'm entitled to my opinions. If you want to resort to name-calling, that's your prerogative :)

I'm Asian American as well, and I don't like those comments.

I'm a Biochemistry/Biology tutor for my peers on my free time. I'm even sitting in for 2 summer classes while working full time and studying for the MCATs to help out my friends. I've been reading medical/pharmacy/dental personal statements all summer long to help get my friends into their respective graduate schools. I'm no gunner.

We can have a friendly discussion and a good time here without bringing race into this.

My two cents. You'll have to forgive me if I'm not a big fan of racial stereotypes.

-Mipp0

I am half asian, and found those jokes funny :laugh:. BTW the only reason i do not seat on the front row is because I usually fall asleep after lunch ;)

#35. You take calc based physics even if u dont have to
#36. U get an mcat prep book because ur friend already got it!!!!

#37. You hand out GMS plates to your lab partners when they're supposed to be using LB.

I wanna be a gunner! How does a lazy white kid become a Gunner?

In the summer of your freshman year, you start practicing MCAT Verbal at
Starbucks from 6am-9am.

40. Your facebook status or twitter or something similar constantly has updates on your MCAT studying, your score, your latest biochem midterm score, the latest interviews or acceptances you've gotten, etc.

41. You know the MSAR numbers by heart. Since freshman year. Reupdating them once a year when the new edition comes out.

42. You have argued over 1/4 of a point....in a 500 point class. (I heard this has happened...)

43. You love being in lab the most. Why? Because you get to wear the white coat.

-You ask questions every five minutes that you already know the answer to.

-You glare at others who ask questions.

-You see the professor ignore your side of the room and roll his/her eyes when you raise your hand.

-When you don't even raise your hand and just blurt out random crud.

-When you run to the front of the room whenever the professor is having trouble with the computer.

-When you give other students misleading information right before finals.

-When you run to turn off the lights for power-point presentations.

- When you have not gone out on Friday night since you started college, even in the summer.

- When you go over all the material of the class before it even starts just so you can look smart.

-When most of your graduating class knows you are going to med school and 99% of them have never even talked to you.

Boom, boom.

-You see the professor ignore your side of the room and roll his/her eyes when you raise your hand.

-When you run to the front of the room whenever the professor is having trouble with the computer.

- When you have not gone out on Friday night since you started college, even in the summer.

- When you go over all the material of the class before it even starts just so you can look smart.

-When most of your graduating class knows you are going to med school and 99% of them have never even talked to you.

Boom, boom.
my favorite is when they blurt out answers to questions that haven't been asked yet and they're wrong

you find a way to bring up the fact that you are goign to med school in EVERY conversation. Or even worse, you introduce yourself as a "med student" even tho you havent started med school yet (this counts even if you have been accepted somewhere). If thats not characteristic of a gunner, at the very least it makes you a giant douche.

Haha..even as technically a pre-med whenever someone asks what im doing i just say 'oh..im not sure, something in health care maybe'

specifically so i can avoid being 'that douche'

also

technically every pre-med who wants to be successful is a gunner (though some more than others). i would say studying mcat material in high school is just plain ******ed but all of us play the admissions game, trying to get great EC's, etc.

and 3rdly- i like asian people, i have asian friends, but crazy asian parents who force their children into study study study so they can be doctor/lawyer etc bugs me. this isn't a blanket statement at all. it applies to other races as well. no offense i just see it more often in asian people i know.

??. When you make a screen name like "Chemdude".

44. When you get back excellent MCAT results, but continue having nightmares of getting an awful score.

technically every pre-med who wants to be successful is a gunner (though some more than others).

'Fraid not. That's just ambitious. A gunner is someone who purposely undercuts other students so that he or she outperforms them (or appears to do so).

#35. You take calc based physics even if u dont have to
#36. U get an mcat prep book because ur friend already got it!!!!

Really? Calc-based Physics is not any harder than regular physics and as long as you're comfortable with basic calculus you will probably enjoy calc-based more as it puts things into a better perspective of how the Physics actually works. I have to take it, but I know a few pre-meds in my class who are taking it because they want to learn the material and are pretty strong at calculus. Besides if an engineer can do it a pre-med student should be able to also (thats what my pre-med advisor told me so it has to be true (sarcasm)).

#45. When your University Library closes at 6 p.m. on Friday nights, yet you hide in the Library basement so that you can continue to study and pull an all-nighter in the Library even though your exam isn't till that Monday.

Reactions: 1 user

Boom, boom.

My o-chem teacher rolls her eyes, or when she asks a question looks on the other side of the room, away from this one pre-med girl who brags about everything. Same girl, for the last one.

46. When you're a TA and you suddenly become unhelpful upon learning that another student is also pre-med and therefore competition.

47. You retake the MCAT because you feel the need to get a 42.

Yes, I know someone who did this. :p

48. You purposely waste the time of other pre-meds by forcing your crazy social schedule onto them.

Lunch with my gunner pre-med friends should never, ever, ever take 4 hours. :rolleyes: But it always does. I swear I'm getting suspicious.

49. Nobody likes you because you're a pompous piece of shet who thinks that they are better than everyone.

Hello all,

I read all of this, I am 32, an attending physician and of Indian origin. that's right, bust out your sterotypes now, grovelers.

I am not going to write any recommendations for anyone I see on this who writes negative things about asians.

I feel the pain of the asian student in the bottom of my heart. If these guys are beating up on you though, they are simply frustrated: that they do not have post 1965 brain drain immigrant parents with higher IQs than their cattle fed, corn fed, blue eyed, sunburned, arby's working, walmart shopping parents.

Good luck, and kick these guys' butts in school. You can do it!

:rofl::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::rofl:

:(

I asked for MCAT Prep material in junior year of high school. And I got them. I argue with teachers on multiple choice for half points.

Gunner high school premed?

You're WAAAAAAAAAAAY too much. Chillax dude.

When you find that you cannot sleep without having the latest MSAR tucked under your pillow.