You know you're a premed gunner when...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When you go to the research lab on Sunday after Christmas.

There were no other gunners to be found in the whole campus. :D

Members don't see this ad.

If you decide to retake a MCAT of 40 to a 41.

Members don't see this ad :)
50.a freshman using his breaks at work to look at Pathophysiology notes he made from texts he got

51.getting a job working security at a hospital to check out the library whenever possible

52.having all chapters read for a class a week before it begins

53. When you apply for accommodations for the MCAT to have extra time, even though the illness you apply for was diagnosed three years ago and you're fully recovered, and now you're just 'relapsing'.

5. You're an asian sitting in the first row of class. We all know it's true.

Hey, there are tons of us sitting in the back too... Probably because it's better for :sleep: during 8 AM lectures. Damn, I just lost my gunner status.

Yo I'm asian and even I think you're being a tool...

:thumbup:

Hello all,

I read all of this, I am 32, an attending physician and of Indian origin. that's right, bust out your sterotypes now, grovelers.

I am not going to write any recommendations for anyone I see on this who writes negative things about asians.

Srsly... This reminds me of the "Possible to get into med school if you ask ******ed questions on forums" thread here.

Last edited:
54. when you fall in love and date the heart surgeon you are doing the undergrad. research with ..

53. When you apply for accommodations for the MCAT to have extra time, even though the illness you apply for was diagnosed three years ago and you're fully recovered, and now you're just 'relapsing'.

that doesn't make you a gunner, just stupid for getting an asterisk on your score report for no reason.

54. when you fall in love and date the heart surgeon you are doing the undergrad. research with ..

um. that's just unethical on the surgeon's part, and absolutely nothing to do with gunners...

when you draw molecules from the back of your shampoo bottle

55. When you own a cardiology stethoscope.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
56. During your med school visits, you tell the interviewers about the (nonexistent)roach that all the other interviewees were smoking before coming in the building.

57. You pull the fire alarm at 3 AM in the Biological Sciences dormitory the morning of your big Genetics exam.

:laugh: pretty much everyone I know owns a cardiology. its the gold standard man. Ive used Thinklabs and DRG. Even the Littman electronic. Ive gone back to the cardiology each time....Im pretty much here to stay for now.

56. Your name is Gunner. You are a pre med student.

that doesn't make you a gunner, just stupid for getting an asterisk on your score report for no reason.

um. that's just unethical on the surgeon's part, and absolutely nothing to do with gunners...

unethical? Huh?!!!

Reactions: 1 user

That doesn't make you a gunner, that makes you a golddigga son!! :laugh: :laugh: Just kidding. That's actually really sweet. :)

59. You sit and read this whole thread to see if you exhibit "gunner" behaviors and to realize that you in fact DO!

>>>I def have a few (but not backstabbing ones).
>>>>>Definitely got an mcat prep book 1st semester freshman year.
>>>>>>>>I argue over points (it could be the difference between an A and a B at the end, I've definitely gotten pretty close and was glad I fought for every point throughout the semester. lol).
>>>>>>>>>>>>I don't quite sleep with the MSAR under my pillow but I prob can tell you all the stats, history, people in charge, mission statements etc...of like my 5 favorite schools. It's so sad. I read that book like a bible from like june-my first acceptance (like oct). I occasionally flip through it to refresh my memory. lol. Sad, I know.

Edit: ooooh, I do remember falling asleep reading it too. lol....pitiful.

:cry:+pity+ Cry us all a river,
(There were two 15's soooo..)

17. When you change something on an already graded assignment ( from 93/100 to 98/100) to go from an A- to an A+, like the grader made a mistake, but then you get caught because you didn't know the prof. photo copies all his exams before giving them back....

Are you at UCLA? We were told almost this exact same story during undergrad orientation ...

61. When you get upset about your high MCAT score because you got a 43 on your practice test DAMNIT!

Hi guys.

I know we might have the intention of being funny, but sweeping generalizations of an entire race/ethnic group isn't funny to me.

So I ask respectfully, please don't bring race into this.

I found the comments about cup size and "innate gunning character" of Asian Americans to be tactless and insensitive at best, utterly stupid and racist at worst.

Hopefully a moderator looks into this.

Thanks guys,
Mipp0

When you talk like this guy.

Haha, oops...

In my defense it was a gift...

I did, however, spend all of that Christmas listening to family members' internal sounds...

:laugh:

lol, I'm asian and even I find asian "gunners" unbearable. Anyone sitting in the front of the lecture hall so that their profs can recognize them and they can beat out other people to ask questions after lecture are a bunch of tools. Stop Fing worrying about your grades!!! and stop bugging other people about theirs. NO ONE CARES you got a 95 on that biochem test!

lol, I'm asian and even I find asian "gunners" unbearable. Anyone sitting in the front of the lecture hall so that their profs can recognize them and they can beat out other people to ask questions after lecture are a bunch of tools. Stop Fing worrying about your grades!!! and stop bugging other people about theirs. NO ONE CARES you got a 95 on that biochem test!

some people ask qns because they are genuinely interested, at least that's how it has been in my classes for the most part.... i have run into maybe one or two buffoons who ask just to look good and you can pick them out from a mile away!!

unethical? Huh?!!!

It's unethical because of the power dynamic between higher and lower-ranked individuals. Even unspoken, there might be certain "expectations" of the lower-ranked individual with regards to promotions/performance evaluations, etc.

And it's unethical of the surgeon because the higher-ranked person has the obligation to not get involved in something like that. If an attending was caught dating a medical student, or even a resident (over whom they had direct supervision), that would be a major no-no.

The best thing to do if it's "true love," (and it always is :laugh:), is to find another job and continue dating.

Plus, as the saying goes, "Don't **** where you sleep/eat." If something goes down in the relationship (which I'm sure it won't, since it's "wuv, twue wuv," name that movie), things are going to get ugly in the workplace and you'll wish you were in another lab anyway...

Last edited:
It's unethical because of the power dynamic between higher and lower-ranked individuals. Even unspoken, there might be certain "expectations" of the lower-ranked individual with regards to promotions/performance evaluations, etc.

And it's unethical of the surgeon because the higher-ranked person has the obligation to not get involved in something like that. If an attending was caught dating a medical student, or even a resident (over whom they had direct supervision), that would be a major no-no.

The best thing to do if it's "true love," (and it always is :laugh:), is to find another job and continue dating.

Plus, as the saying goes, "Don't **** where you sleep/eat." If something goes down in the relationship (which I'm sure it won't, since it's "wuv, twue wuv," name that movie), things are going to get ugly in the workplace and you'll wish you were in another lab anyway...

When you feel the need to clarify subordinate dating effects in a gunner thread! :D Even if you do have some redeemable Princess Bride quotes. :D

When you feel the need to clarify subordinate dating effects in a gunner thread! :D Even if you do have some redeemable Princess Bride quotes. :D

I was just trying to save those "sexual gunners" some heart-ache before they get to medical school.

Haha, if I was a gunner (and I like to think I wasn't), those days are almost over. I think one thing you realize in medical school is that "gunner" = "asshat," not "super-smart win at all costs." You don't really care if someone is smarter than you on your rotation if they're super nice, in fact, they can make your life so much easier.

In fact, having almost finished medical school, if y'all want to know how to be good gunners on the ward (i.e., asshats), you can:

-answer other students' pimp questions.
-chime in with the other students' patient's vitals/lab values.
-quote papers (bonus points for author/article name/journal) dealing with their patients.
-prepare ppt presentations on diseases that other students' patients have.

If you do all these things, you have mastered the art of gunning...and getting terrible evals...

Rofl. I was notorious for being that indian that sat in the first row and fell asleep all the time without taking notes

lol I didn't know about this stereotype, but I can remember that happening to me on more than one occasion... hmm

I was just trying to save those "sexual gunners" some heart-ache before they get to medical school.

Haha, if I was a gunner (and I like to think I wasn't), those days are almost over. I think one thing you realize in medical school is that "gunner" = "asshat," not "super-smart win at all costs." You don't really care if someone is smarter than you on your rotation if they're super nice, in fact, they can make your life so much easier.

In fact, having almost finished medical school, if y'all want to know how to be good gunners on the ward (i.e., asshats), you can:

-answer other students' pimp questions.
-chime in with the other students' patient's vitals/lab values.
-quote papers (bonus points for author/article name/journal) dealing with their patients.
-prepare ppt presentations on diseases that other students' patients have.

If you do all these things, you have mastered the art of gunning...and getting terrible evals...

Hehe, just couldn't resist. Wasn't really serious. But good info on the asshat moves for the ward.

How about when you go to an interview for med school, and when a fellow interviewee casually asks you about your research, you explain every detail, despite the fact that you know research is highly specific such that most of the people that would understand what you're talking about are doing the research?

And what if the same person, when asked about themselves, recite his or her rehearsed interview lines about what he or she has done in the past four years, and how important those things were to get him or her involved and interested in medicine?

And what if the same person asks you about your college career, only to respond to or interrupt everything you say with, "Oh yeah, I've been doing that for a long time too," followed by a full recitation of the aforementioned important events of the past four years?

Or if the same person asks questions in the interview day tour, only to answer them? Or point out all the places he or she studied for classes and the MCAT on campus?

Do those things qualify someone as a gunner?

...At least she was really nice! :)

How about when you go to an interview for med school, and when a fellow interviewee casually asks you about your research, you explain every detail, despite the fact that you know research is highly specific such that most of the people that would understand what you're talking about are doing the research?

And what if the same person, when asked about themselves, recite his or her rehearsed interview lines about what he or she has done in the past four years, and how important those things were to get him or her involved and interested in medicine?

And what if the same person asks you about your college career, only to respond to or interrupt everything you say with, "Oh yeah, I've been doing that for a long time too," followed by a full recitation of the aforementioned important events of the past four years?

Or if the same person asks questions in the interview day tour, only to answer them? Or point out all the places he or she studied for classes and the MCAT on campus?

I don't know if that makes her a gunner, just annoying/nervous, lol.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPjhwsmvKMI[/YOUTUBE]

Sorry if this is a stupid question but what is an premed gunner?

A pre-med gunner is a pre-med student who maliciously does anything to get ahead of his/her pre-med peers. Examples include:

-Spreading false information about an upcoming exam: "What are you talking about man, of course aldol condensations aren't going to be on Thursday's test." Gunner's mind: Haha sucka's gonna fail!

-Moving your belongings out of your study room and claiming the room as his/hers

-Refusing to lend you a pencil because you're "competition"

-Other very uncool things

For more information on med student gunners, please visit: http://www.medschoolhell.com/2006/03/20/gunners/

...when you pre-study for a class that you've yet to take.

When you write two summaries of all course materials. One for yourself, and a subtly flawed one for your friends.

75. In the interview waiting room you ask people the guy next to you why he wants to be a doctor, then use his answer in your interview.

76. You "accidentally" spill your complimentary lunch all over the guy next to you on interview day.

BTW I have no idea what number we're on. :p

75. In the interview waiting room you ask people the guy next to you why he wants to be a doctor, then use his answer in your interview.

76. You "accidentally" spill your complimentary lunch all over the guy next to you on interview day.

BTW I have no idea what number we're on. :p

:) Haven't heard those before. Looks like the term interview gunner is born!

:laugh: I was wondering where you got those numbers from...

77. when someone tells you they're a pre-med you quickly try to pinpoint in you're head what characteristics would make this person a ****ty doctor and they should immediately change majors

78. You "take care of" all the competition. Even those kids who are all like "maybe I'll get a PhD instead"... 'cuz obviously those are just sleepers. Not to mention the janitors and dining staff... each one's just a non-trad waiting to happen.

Except for one guy, in whose forehead you carve the letters "SDN" with a big crazy-looking knife. To the bone! Then you talk about art and music halls. Damn some people are crazy.

78. You "take care of" all the competition. Even those kids who are all like "maybe I'll get a PhD instead"... 'cuz obviously those are just sleepers. Not to mention the janitors and dining staff... each one's just a non-trad waiting to happen.

Except for one guy, in whose forehead you carve the letters "SDN" with a big crazy-looking knife. To the bone! Then you talk about art and music halls. Damn some people are crazy.

LOL!!

79. Every time you hear about someone who was kidnapped by a Mexican drug cartel while vacationing in the Baja Peninsula, sexually molested by a family member as a child, or grew up in the ghetto with an abusive father and alcoholic/largely absent mother, you think, "Damn! That would make a great Personal Statement!" and secretly wish you were that person to varying degrees. :oops:

80. you've even got your parents on the couch browsing SDN comparing their findings about different schools with you