2008-2009 Rosalind Franklin Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
did they email you and tell you you are in the smaller pool ?

no, i emailed them, but they did email the II.

also, for anyone who has interviewed where did you guys stay?

Members don't see this ad.

no, i emailed them, but they did email the II.

also, for anyone who has interviewed where did you guys stay?

I stayed at Candlewood Suites, only like 5 minutes away. It was a really nice hotel for only $50. Also, what does the smaller pool mean?

Did any post-interviewees here receive the AMCAS background check e-mail after being accepted or waitlisted?

Members don't see this ad :)
I stayed at Candlewood Suites, only like 5 minutes away. It was a really nice hotel for only $50. Also, what does the smaller pool mean?

the smaller pool is where everyone who might be invited for an interview is put. there is an initial screening and some are rejected after this. others pass and wait to get an interview. not everyone gets one. and congrats to people who have been accepted :thumbup:

I'll drop this topic after this, I promise, but if someone doesn't mind, if you were waitlisted, can you please share (feel free to PM me) if you received the AMCAS Background Check e-mail? Is everyone here who received the AMCAS e-mail an acceptee?

Did any post-interviewees here receive the AMCAS background check e-mail after being accepted or waitlisted?

i am accepted and received the background check email from amcas on 10/31 but still haven't received the email fromthe background check people.

Anyone know when the ADCOM is meeting again? They won't disclose this to us...

Protodoc, I'm on hold, and I haven't received the background check. I'm assuming that those who are on hold do not receive the background check.

Protodoc, I'm on hold, and I haven't received the background check. I'm assuming that those who are on hold do not receive the background check.

Thanks kalia! That's what I wanted to hear actually... just wanted to be sure the background check e-mail was actually instigated by UIC, which is my first choice, and NOT by RFU. Good luck to you in this process!!

Members don't see this ad :)
If any of you have questions about the school itself (and not so much the admissions process) feel free to PM me... The most important thing for you when choosing a school is to make sure that it's a good fit for you, and that the school is strong (matches people to residencies) in the areas that you are most interested in...

So... Has anything been happening at Rosalind Franklin along the lines of acceptances? Things have been quite on this forum topic.

Nothing's gonna happen until Dec 12....and you probably won't hear anything until Dec 17 according to this year's trends.

From what I've observed, they'll e-mail acceptances Monday, Dec 15, and then e-mail holds the following day, Dec 16. I'll bet $5 it works out that way.

I'm not sure if it's been discussed here or not...but I just received evaluation e-mail from CMS: asking to evaluate the school (tour guide, interviewers, etc.). I interviewed about a month ago and haven't heard from school yet except for this evaluation e-mail. Do they send them to everyone?

i interviewed here recently. i had a really bad experience here. the tour guides talked about how much studying med school is throughout the ENTIRE question and answer session. they then proceeded to talk about this during the ENTIRE TOUR. we already know med school is going to be hard work, we want to learn about the school, the people ... i guess that's not important to everyone?!?!?

what do you do in your free time: well, we don't really have free time ... we don't really go downtown, i mean if you want to you can
what student groups/extracurriculars are you in: well we aren't really in clubs, there is too much work to do, but there are lots of clubs and lots of students participate (... very convincing...)

i was really disappointed/shocked by their attitudes.

the cafeteria food was really bad
some of your classes are taken with other students such as podiatry and some with M2 students
the school doesn't have its own hospital
the facilities was old
it is more than one hour from downtown chicago by car ... imagine the metra
the students said they didn't get anywhere else
and the interviewer kept telling me how good my undergraduate's med school is ... WHAT THE HELL

the only good thing is the DEAN himself dropped by, he was wayyy cool, very easy going, and open to questions. he was the only positive thing about my day there

i hate to leave negative comments, but i was really shocked by my experience here. i had no idea it was going to be this bad or else i wouldn't have gone to the interview.

violet7, I interviewed in September and I have yet to receive such an e-mail..hmm..

bluesmd, I also interviewed there and completely disagree with you (other than the whole tour guide thing...mine was really informative so I guess you just got a dud..)

but as far as the school itself:
-cafeteria food wasn't bad...
-of course you have classes with students from other schools...RFU is big on interprofessionalism...what's wrong with taking classes with podiatry students?
-it doesn't have a hospital but there are lots of opportunities to volunteer in free clinics the first couple of years. and for 3rd and 4th year a lot of students go to Chicago. they don't have their own hospital but they have affiliates...why do you need a hospital in 1st year anyway?
-I thought the building/facilities seemed relatively new...the anatomy lab has a bunch of lcd screens and stuff...

are we talking about the same school?
anyway...just had to argue my points...to each his own I guess...:D

i interviewed here recently. i had a really bad experience here. the tour guides talked about how much studying med school is throughout the ENTIRE question and answer session. they then proceeded to talk about this during the ENTIRE TOUR. we already know med school is going to be hard work, we want to learn about the school, the people ... i guess that's not important to everyone?!?!?

what do you do in your free time: well, we don't really have free time ... we don't really go downtown, i mean if you want to you can
what student groups/extracurriculars are you in: well we aren't really in clubs, there is too much work to do, but there are lots of clubs and lots of students participate (... very convincing...)

some of your classes are taken with other students such as podiatry and some with M2 students
the facilities was old
and the interviewer kept telling me how good my undergraduate's med school is ... WHAT THE HELL

the only good thing is the DEAN himself dropped by, he was wayyy cool, very easy going, and open to questions. he was the only positive thing about my day there

i hate to leave negative comments, but i was really shocked by my experience here. i had no idea it was going to be this bad or else i wouldn't have gone to the interview.

I'm not sure if it's been discussed here or not...but I just received evaluation e-mail from CMS: asking to evaluate the school (tour guide, interviewers, etc.). I interviewed about a month ago and haven't heard from school yet except for this evaluation e-mail. Do they send them to everyone?

I was accepted last month and I received the email..so maybe it's good news?

yeah half the school is less than 10 years old and the other half is only 20 years old. the dorms are 5? years old.

as far as your tour guides...i know this type of med student. they love to tell other people how hard it is, especially impressionable interviewees. you should tell the admissions people about them.

but as far as the school itself:
-cafeteria food wasn't bad...
-of course you have classes with students from other schools...RFU is big on interprofessionalism...what's wrong with taking classes with podiatry students?
-it doesn't have a hospital but there are lots of opportunities to volunteer in free clinics the first couple of years. and for 3rd and 4th year a lot of students go to Chicago. they don't have their own hospital but they have affiliates...why do you need a hospital in 1st year anyway?
-I thought the building/facilities seemed relatively new...the anatomy lab has a bunch of lcd screens and stuff...

hey, sorry, i really did not mean to bash. i just wanted to present my view. i just expected more. about the podiatry students, that makes the class of 300 in one room. i just think that is a lot of people, makes it difficult to hear/see etc. having their own hospital means that you don't have to move for the 3rd/4th years, and you can shadow and stuff but that may just be me and better for residencies. i didn't hear about the opportunities coz the tour guides weren't helpful

yeah half the school is less than 10 years old and the other half is only 20 years old. the dorms are 5? years old.

as far as your tour guides...i know this type of med student. they love to tell other people how hard it is, especially impressionable interviewees. you should tell the admissions people about them.

i didn't see the dorms, just the facilities. they were just basic i guess.
do you go to rosalind franklin? i don't know how to tell them, i don't remember the student interviewers' names. there were two of them, so i was really shocked. the faculty were really nice, and the dean was wicked. so it was disappointing.

yeah i go here. i would email morgandi lashley at [email protected] and let her know the day you interviewed and the issues you had with the tour guides. I assume she keeps records of who gave tours on a certain day.

to those of you who got interview invites today and yesterday, when did you all get your small pool e-mail?

I received an interview invite on Tuesday. Prior to that I never received a completion email nor a small pool email. I submitted my secondary about 6 weeks ago.

I'm going to agree with MaybeADoc... please don't let tour guides like that skew you opinion of this or any school you interview at. There are plenty of us on this site that are also tour guides, and I know most of us would disagree with the things that your tour guide said. Feel free to ask any questions that you didn't get answers to/weren't satisfied with at your interview. I would also encourage anyone to give critiques regarding your tour guides. Lolita Edwards is another person who would be happy to receive your guide feedback. Her e-mail is [email protected].

the facilities was old

I think I interviewed the same day as you. I didn't stay for lunch so I wasn't really sure how the food tasted. The tour guides did mention frequently that they were studying all the time and that there was no time for really anything else.

I received an email stating my app was complete and that I would go through an initial screening process on Oct 16th. Has anyone that was complete around this time received any notification?

Do you guys think I should contact them?

I received an email stating my app was complete and that I would go through an initial screening process on Oct 16th. Has anyone that was complete around this time received any notification?

I got this email on September 29th and I have not heard anything since

i got that message 3 times.....i was worried if they meant to say something else as in missing item etc...so i emailed them and havent heard back yet....its been a month....when i called their office, they said they prefer emails...its frustrating

corduroy, ruskaya and lola 12. i got this email and didn't hear anything. i emailed them. they said i passed the initial screening. a while later i got an interview invite. some people get interview without emailing them and getting a status. good luck.

Anybody hear anything yet? I thought the ADCOM met last Friday?

Just got the secondary out! Last day too...

mattng, I haven't heard anything yet. But I do think the holds/acceptances/rejections come out this Wednesday (Dec 17) because that's apparently the trend for the past three months.

Also, I think they have a habit of accepting ppl with high MCATS first (ie >33) which sucks for me. Has anybody been accepted to Rosalind Franklin so far with an MCAT of 30 or below?

Just got the secondary out! Last day too...

wow! :eek: i didn't know people did that. :laugh: good luck dude!

kalia, i heard people say that we were supposed to get notification today ... does anyone know do they notify by email or snail mail only and which ones (e.g. acceptance by email but rejection by snail mail?)

I actually called them today to ask if they've met for December. They said they haven't, which is really really strange b/c I think the university is closing very soon for the holidays. My eyes went out like this :eek:

They send holds/acceptances by email. I don't know about rejections.

i think they just told you that because they said they WILL NOT release when they have the meeting. or else the person just let it slip. but a student there mentioned they will meet. oh well, nothing we can do. thanks for the info anyways

Finally after ages......i passed the primary screening. How long does it take before they give out invites??

lola...when were you complete if you don't mind me asking?

corduroy11, I just received that passing the primary screening email today as well and I was complete 10/23, hope that helps

if you get "small pooled", how likely is it that you will get an interview ?

I got smallpooled on Sept 5. I received the invite on Sept 17.

Has anybody been accepted yet for December?

Has anybody been accepted yet for December?

I interviewed in the middle of November, thought my interviews went very well, got "Thank you from CMS" e-mail asking to evaluate the school, but no decision yet... Do they usually call or mail their acceptances?

They email. I also got the "Thank you, please evaluate school" email from CMS, but I don't think that has anything to do with our application file. It says in their booklet that they tend to send out "evaluate our school" emails to ppl who've been interviewed later on in the process.

I interviewed in the middle of November, thought my interviews went very well, got "Thank you from CMS" e-mail asking to evaluate the school, but no decision yet... Do they usually call or mail their acceptances?

Same thing happened here! I thought my interviews at Rosalind Franklin went really well but got the hold e-mail saying I would be continued to be reviewed. I got the evaluation too. Oh well, I'm set on attending UIC but thought I'd share my experience. Oh and I never got the smaller pool e-mail but I got my interview invite e-mail on 10/22. Good luck to everyone waiting on decisions today!

Status
Not open for further replies.