2008-2009 University of Chicago (Pritzker) Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was verified by AMCAS on June 15th and still haven't received this secondary. Weird, no?

Yes that is weird, especially since it was my third secondary that I got, long before my AMCAS was even verified. Email them?

So there's no way of previewing your submission...and you only get to see what it looks like after you click submit?

Members don't see this ad.

I was verified by AMCAS on June 15th and still haven't received this secondary. Weird, no?

This is obviously an error... the chance they looked at your app and decided not to send you an automatic secondary is 0. Some of these systems have bugs and don't track recipients... GWU sent me like 6 invitations to complete their secondary. Call them tomorrow; it's easier than sending back and forth emails if they need more of your info.

i'd email about it and inform them that you've been waiting months for secondary. same thing happened to me 2 years ago and i called and after a little hassle, it got sorted out, i turned in the secondary(in the end of october as soon as i got it), got an interview invite on thanksgiving day ,interviewed late january (my last interview) and got in. so it could just be that "they misplaced your app" like in my case so they have to go back to AMCAS for it. i'd get the Qs answered during the wait tho so you can just send it right back once u get it.

Members don't see this ad :)
For you guys who finished this recently, have they not changed the wall of text format? I can't imagine that they would want to read 400 words without paragraph breaks.

Anyway, I was also wondering for the coping essay, whether any of you did not mention somebody you 'went to'. I mean, when you cope, you don't necessarily have to seek advice from someone. You can just be patient and understanding from their point of view...

For you guys who finished this recently, have they not changed the wall of text format? I can't imagine that they would want to read 400 words without paragraph breaks.

I wouldn't have thought so either but they did the same thing last year. I don't think they're going to change it if they haven't already for this cycle.

Anyway, I was also wondering for the coping essay, whether any of you did not mention somebody you 'went to'. I mean, when you cope, you don't necessarily have to seek advice from someone. You can just be patient and understanding from their point of view...

I found my essays from last year, and I didn't. Can't say if they minded or not, but it's not necessarily fatal. =)

I emailed them about the text formatting and they said that it is just the formatting of the website and they will see it exactly as I typed it.

I emailed them about the text formatting and they said that it is just the formatting of the website and they will see it exactly as I typed it.

Zing. Guess that'll make the people with funny little symbols look like the paranoid ones.

If that's true, I'm glad I waited this long to submit! (Though I'm waiting on one more LOR anyway)

general Q on Pritzker:

It says on wiki (I know, I know it's wiki, but I figured I'd check ALL available sources) that Pritzker is well-known for its AIDS and Women's Health research among other things.

Can anyone confirm this? They obviously have sites devoted to this on their webpage, but I wasn't sure if they were specifically known for these areas. Thanks!

This is obviously an error... the chance they looked at your app and decided not to send you an automatic secondary is 0. Some of these systems have bugs and don't track recipients... GWU sent me like 6 invitations to complete their secondary. Call them tomorrow; it's easier than sending back and forth emails if they need more of your info.

Thanks for the responses. I'll give em a call tomorrow.

Rowerlauren: Submitted: 7/15, Letters rec'd: Before 7/15, Complete: 7/18
seven87: Submitted: 7/2, Letters rec'd: 7/10, Complete: 7/10
Schwerbert: Submitted: 7/11, Letters rec'd: 7/11, Complete: 7/14
copingmethods: Submitted: 7/14, Letters rec'd: 7/23, Complete: 7/23

Hey guys, I saw some posts about the essay being one giant paragraph. I e-mailed Pritzker about it, and here's their reply: "Thank you for your message about the formatting of your essays on the supplemental application. Please don’t be concerned. The feedback page is produced using HTML which can do strange things to blank spaces such as carriage returns, tabs, etc. Your essays are recorded in our database, on the otherhead, just as you formatted them." So, looks like we can have separate paragraphs, they just won't show up in the preview.

Hey guys, I saw some posts about the essay being one giant paragraph. I e-mailed Pritzker about it, and here's their reply: "Thank you for your message about the formatting of your essays on the supplemental application. Please don't be concerned. The feedback page is produced using HTML which can do strange things to blank spaces such as carriage returns, tabs, etc. Your essays are recorded in our database, on the otherhead, just as you formatted them."

Thank you. It just didn't make sense for them to read our essays as one giant block of text, given the effort they put into each candidate.

Last edited:
JDoc13: Submitted: 7/5, Letters rec'd: 7/10, Complete: 7/10

Members don't see this ad :)
If I send in this application now, would I be considered late?

If I send in this application now, would I be considered late?
I submitted early-mid Sept, was invited to interview 9 days later, and was able to choose from interview dates in mid-late November. If you're from CA or the tropics, don't own warm clothes, and thus won't consider Nov-Feb interviews, you might be pushing it.

Rather than devoting time worrying about the timeliness of your application, I would suggest just sitting down and completing the 2 essays.

azuldelcielo: Submitted: 7/25, Letters rec'd: Before 7/20, Complete: ?? (waiting for fee processing to go through)

since there seem to be some current Chicago med students lurking on this thread, would you mind answering a few general questions..I'm trying to decide if I should apply:

1) Does it hold true with the med school as in other departments that "UChicago is where fun goes to die"?

2) What is the general vibe of the class/school...I know the university is known to be very academic in nature. Are the students cutthroat? Is the emphasis only on research, or do people pursue other things (say, global health or whatever).

3) Does anybody have the avg MCAT/GPA of the starting class handy?

thanks guys!

since there seem to be some current Chicago med students lurking on this thread, would you mind answering a few general questions..I'm trying to decide if I should apply:

1) Does it hold true with the med school as in other departments that "UChicago is where fun goes to die"?

2) What is the general vibe of the class/school...I know the university is known to be very academic in nature. Are the students cutthroat? Is the emphasis only on research, or do people pursue other things (say, global health or whatever).

thanks guys!

they have podcasts that address all these questions and more. Check them out:

http://pritzkerpodcast.libsyn.com/

azuldelcielo: Submitted: 7/25, Letters rec'd: Before 7/20, Complete: 7/26

do you guys think it would be acceptable to talk about being in hurricane katrina for the challenging situation essay? i think i could write a pretty good essay about what my family went through (our ceiling fell in while i was there, the house in front of us flooded and the family came running over to our house, we were without power and water for weeks).

but are they looking for more of a "dilemma" that I had to resolve? this was more of an experience, rather than a dilemma or problem.

do you guys think it would be acceptable to talk about being in hurricane katrina for the challenging situation essay? i think i could write a pretty good essay about what my family went through (our ceiling fell in while i was there, the house in front of us flooded and the family came running over to our house, we were without power and water for weeks).

but are they looking for more of a "dilemma" that I had to resolve? this was more of an experience, rather than a dilemma or problem.
Don't know what others will say but heck yes. I'd totally write about that. My challenge essay is lame in comparison.

God I hope they don't read my essay right after reading yours.

Absolutely not. I sing with a campus-wide a cappella group, so I interact with and perform for a lot of undergrads, and I cannot begin to describe how different the med students are from the rest of the campus. I know a good percentage of the 1st years partied and went out to bars downtown several times per week, and unlike many of the undergrads, the med students are almost all very socially functional and fun to be around.

The students are not cutthroat at all. Pritzker has true Pass/Fail for the first 2 years, meaning that so long as you pass, your specific grades are irrelevant (with the one exception of the profs using grades from the previous years to pick TAs). Before every exam this past year, multiple people in the class would send out their own condensed review notes to help others study, because everybody wants to make sure everybody else succeeds (we like to think of it as an elevator, everyone that gets on at the bottom gets off at the top). I've been told by someone who went through some personal problems that even if you happen to fail a class, your transcript shows "conditional pass" until you make up/redo what you need to, and then the conditional pass is changed to pass (with no record of the conditional pass ever being present). This really means that at least for the pre-clinicals, there is no reason whatsoever to be a gunner, and the very few gunners I am aware of end up being not well liked at all by the rest of the class.

For both (1) and (2), I think a lot of this has to do with the school's emphasis on class camaraderie. Every interview has a student interviewer, and there are students on the admissions committee. What they tell us (student interviewers) is that effectively we can't necessarily get anyone in we really like that would otherwise be rejected, but we can probably keep anyone out that we don't like that would otherwise be accepted (assuming we have legitimate reasons for not wanting him or her as a classmate).

To answer the rest of your question, and also to give you a bit of insight into what I (and a lot of other) student interviewers look for, we like to see people who are intelligent (but not cocky about it), seem committed to medicine, are socially adept, but also have other interests. I, for one, don't particularly want a classmate that I worry will go home and study all night long every night, because I want to bring in someone interesting who will contribute to the class community in some way.

I'm also sort of turned off by pre-meds who do absolutely nothing but tons of the typical pre-med ECs. Whether it's music, athletics, art, theater, social justice activism, a commitment to research, or what have you, we really like people who are not just one-dimensional cookie-cutter pre-meds with good stats.

For the majority of the people I know at Pritzker, I can tell you something about them that would make you say "oh wow, that's really cool". This runs the gambit from former NCAA Division I basketball players, to Hollywood actresses. People who lead these more balanced lives I feel bring a broader perspective to medicine, and also for the sake of a class with only 88 people, if it wasn't for basically everyone having their own hobbies and interests, we wouldn't have nearly as interesting of a class as we do. I'd recommend you take a look at the somewhat-buried list of student organizations here:

http://pritzker.bsd.uchicago.edu/current/students/organizations/orgs.shtml

Almost all of these organizations are run by a single class (the MS2s run them and transition the leadership to the MS1s mid-year). This list still isn't even complete, missing things like our dominatingly awesome intermural teams, movie nights, etc. Without making sure each student is interesting in his or her own way, maintaining such a diverse array of interests with a class of only 88 people would be nearly impossible.

That said, we are very research heavy. Nearly everyone except the MSTPs participates in the summer research program after their first year. While for a lot of people, I'm sure they do it because they are legitimately interested in research, I'm sure there are plenty who just like the idea of hanging out with the rest of the class and getting paid $5000 for the summer. So, I guess the best way to think of it is, even if you aren't committed to finding the key to eternal life through years of basic science lab work, you can still be a great fit here.

No idea, but I can probably dig that up for you if no-one else has it handy. I can tell you the class before was 36/3.8, but you probably already knew that from the MSAR.

thanks! that was super helpful!

that sounds like exactly what they are looking for

Cancerkiller007: Submitted: 7/26, Letter rec'd: 7/21, complete:????

Anyone hear anything yet? Or know if they have even started looking at complete files yet?

Hey guys, I saw some posts about the essay being one giant paragraph. I e-mailed Pritzker about it, and here's their reply: "Thank you for your message about the formatting of your essays on the supplemental application. Please don’t be concerned. The feedback page is produced using HTML which can do strange things to blank spaces such as carriage returns, tabs, etc. Your essays are recorded in our database, on the otherhead, just as you formatted them." So, looks like we can have separate paragraphs, they just won't show up in the preview.

CRAP!! They're getting a wall of text from me... Why couldn't they explain that a little better...

Even better question, why didn't I read this before I submitted!!??

Stupid life sci office STILL hasn't sent my letters though :(.

Calf: Submitted: 7/28, Letters rec'd: ???, Complete: ???

I wouldn't worry too much if you haven't heard anything just yet. Considering that the incoming class is arriving this Friday, I'm betting everyone in the Pritkzer office has their hands full right now. :)

Schwerbert: Submitted: 7/11, Letters rec'd: 7/11, Complete: 7/14, Interview Invite: 8/1

Schwerbert: Submitted: 7/11, Letters rec'd: 7/11, Complete: 7/14, Interview Invite: 8/1
copingmethods: Submitted: 7/14, Letters rec'd: 7/23, Complete: 7/23, Interview Invite: 8/1

in the "complete" email, they said they would invite for interview via "surface" mail. does this mean snail mail? how did you get your invite, schwerbert?

I got it as an e-mail just now.

Schwerbert: Submitted: 7/11, Letters rec'd: 7/11, Complete: 7/14, Interview Invite: 8/1, Interview: 9/9
copingmethods: Submitted: 7/14, Letters rec'd: 7/23, Complete: 7/23, Interview Invite: 8/1

Schwerbert: Submitted: 7/11, Letters rec'd: 7/11, Complete: 7/14, Interview Invite: 8/1, Interview: 9/9
Cancerkiller007: Submitted: 7/26, Letter rec'd: 7/21, complete: 7/29

I have yet to receive the "complete" email? When did you guys receive that email?

I have a long time to wait till my chicago interviews as MD/PhD interviews are on conducted till January. :(

So did everyone here hear back from them about interviews already? I noticed on the interview invite thread, there is someone who was complete 7/30 and got an invite already. Everyone who was complete before 7/30 has already heard then??

So did everyone here hear back from them about interviews already? I noticed on the interview invite thread, there is someone who was complete 7/30 and got an invite already. Everyone who was complete before 7/30 has already heard then??
Nothing for me, not that I'd expect to get one... Was complete 7/10

pritzker isn't a research school, is it? i don't think i'm going to submit the 2ndary. unless i'm wrong about the research thing, I couldn't find much on their website

grrrr im hating pritzker tonight. working on their first essay, all my thoughts are a huge jumble in my head.

pritzker isn't a research school, is it? i don't think i'm going to submit the 2ndary. unless i'm wrong about the research thing, I couldn't find much on their website

It is most definitely a research focused school. Listen to their latest podcast if you are doubtful about this. They are shrinking the class size to increase merit aid and form a stronger student-faculty mentoring program.

Rowerlauren: Submitted: 7/15, Letters rec'd: Before 7/15, Complete: 7/18, Interview Invite: 8/1, Interview: 9/15

It is most definitely a research focused school. Listen to their latest podcast if you are doubtful about this. They are shrinking the class size to increase merit aid and form a stronger student-faculty mentoring program.

quote]

hey thanks for the help, all i could find on their website is http://pritzker.bsd.uchicago.edu/about/research.shtml

it'll all about medical education research? but i will check on their podcast, thanks

oooh i wasn't looking hard enough, they have a great summer program. thanks so much, lifesaver!

Nothing for me, not that I'd expect to get one... Was complete 7/10

I'm confused about why you don't think you have a shot when your MCAT is close to their average and your gpa is above?
You've just taken away all my hope of having a shot:scared:

I'm confused about why you don't think you have a shot when your MCAT is close to their average and your gpa is above?
You've just taken away all my hope of having a shot:scared:
Quote from Pritzker's website:
"Our average MCAT for the accepted class entering Pritzker in 2008 is a 36. Our average GPA for the accepted class entering Pritzker in 2008 is a 3.79."

I got a 31 MCAT, that's not close to a 36. Plus an 8 in VR is pretty bad...

True..but I read somewhere else that the average MCAT for the 2007 entering class was 34...I don't know where 36 came from. I think they're just trying to scare us:p

Anyway, good luck!!!! I hope we hear soon:scared: hehe

True..but I read somewhere else that the average MCAT for the 2007 entering class was 34...I don't know where 36 came from. I think they're just trying to scare us:p

Anyway, good luck!!!! I hope we hear soon:scared: hehe

yah, accepted stats are always higher. 36 = accepted students. some went to hopkins, washu, harvard... and then the matriculated was 34.

Status
Not open for further replies.