2008-2009 Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats on the messege. It seems like a high Pri score.
May I ask if you are an In-state student or not?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I got this, what you all think
"The Committee's file review indicates that they are very interested in your candidacy. There is another increase in the applicant pool this year, but we are trying to get all candidates at your priority score interviewed as soon as possible. Please watch for an e-mail from us regarding a possible interview date."

May I ask if you are a In-state student or not?

I just got this update. Not good? :(

The committee's file review indicates that they would like to consider your file further. We are now in the process of scheduling interviews and will continue to do so through February. Unfortunately, the committee indicates interest in far more candidates than we are able to interview. Since we are dependent on the Committee member's schedules for interview spaces, we are unable to predict when or if we will be able to schedule you this year. Please continue to check this site to learn when further action has been taken.

Members don't see this ad :)
after looking at your mdapps and based on the few messages i've seen you post on here, if I were an adcom member, you'd get my vote for SURE!

It's not the best message you can get, but still good. Congrats.

after looking at your mdapps and based on the few messages i've seen you post on here, if I were an adcom member, you'd get my vote for SURE!

Thanks :) Hopefully I can get an interview for GU like you did. Congrats to you!

I just got this update. Not good? :(

When was your application complete? I can't imagine that they would give you a less friendly message with a 4.0 32 mcat. Unless, you submitted like yesterday.

Particularly for a lawyer. Your schmoozing game will be sick. I will have to tag along with you on friday nights, if we both end up there.. hope you dont mind.

I was over in Dupont Circle Saturday night. Went to Buffalo Billards and then Front Page. Nice area DC is. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Particularly for a lawyer. Your schmoozing game will be sick. I will have to tag along with you on friday nights, if we both end up there.. hope you dont mind.

I'm not a lawyer, but I go out to bars with lawyers. And yes, they're pretty good at what they do, LOL! Adams Morgan is pretty crazy.

wow, you guys weren't kidding about the quick turn-around time at VCU. complete yesterday, just got the status update today

best of luck all

OOPS! I meant CopperDime.

Man, i'm trying to work while doing this. I need to get away from SDN.

Adams Morgan is pretty sick.

I'm not a lawyer, but I go out to bars with lawyers. And yes, they're pretty good at what they do, LOL! Adams Morgan is pretty crazy.

They are a model institution in terms of timing.

wow, you guys weren't kidding about the quick turn-around time at VCU. complete yesterday, just got the status update today

best of luck all

uh
is submitting a secondary in the first week of august late? :[

I submitted mine last year in Sept (I think it might have been late Sept, too) and I got an interview. August is fine.

Now, scheduling interviews with them is another thing entirely. Mine was three months after my invite! That's absurd (talk about dragging out the process).

Does anyone know what advantage does interviewing early--lets say in september--has compared with interviewing later in the year--lets say in January?

Does anyone know what advantage does interviewing early--lets say in september--has compared with interviewing later in the year--lets say in January?

If you don't get an offer right away, there are more opportunities for your application to be reviewed again for an offer. Also, there are more offers you're fighting for earlier rather than later.

Congrats on the messege. It seems like a high Pri score.
May I ask if you are an In-state student or not?

OOS. weird huh? people have way better MCAT scores then me too....

i think it was my letter of rec and my secondary essays. I really nailed both of them. for the specialty, I already know what i want to do, and have a good reason for picking it.

For second essay, where they want to know about you more, i just wrote a story....in a funny way. I wanted them to know that I have a sense of humor. :)

OOS. weird huh? people have way better MCAT scores then me too....

i think it was my letter of rec and my secondary essays. I really nailed both of them. for the specialty, I already know what i want to do, and have a good reason for picking it.

For second essay, where they want to know about you more, i just wrote a story....in a funny way. I wanted them to know that I have a sense of humor. :)

What are you talking about? You have perfect numbers (higher than average for VCU).
I couldn't agree more. People, no matter who they are, would like to feel good and entertained, and apparantly you did it well.

If you don't get an offer right away, there are more opportunities for your application to be reviewed again for an offer. Also, there are more offers you're fighting for earlier rather than later.

Thanks. It does make sense.

Got the "bad" message... not too surprised but still disappointed.

Complete 7/23 for anyone who is still waiting.

I just got the "may" letter too. How many versions of this letter are there? How come the "may" letter doesn't mean waitlisted?

What is the bad message?

The committee's file review indicates that they wish to consider your file over the next several weeks before making a decision about interview. Since they have some reservations about granting an interview, your file will be reviewed again by a small sub-committee before making a final decision. Please continue to check this site to learn when further action has been taken.

I also have a hold for grades even though I'm not enrolled in school.

The committee's file review indicates that they wish to consider your file over the next several weeks before making a decision about interview. Since they have some reservations about granting an interview, your file will be reviewed again by a small sub-committee before making a final decision. Please continue to check this site to learn when further action has been taken.

that doesnt sound that bad. I got the unfortunately message lol. Is it even worth trying to rationalize these messages?

utahjazz, keep the hope alive, I wish you the best of luck!

In a sense... the message is BETTER than the "MAY" message... because he's (supposedly) going to be getting more eyes looking at his application... and in this game, just having the dust wiped off of your app and someone taking a look at it means a heck of a lot.

In a sense... the message is BETTER than the "MAY" message... because he's (supposedly) going to be getting more eyes looking at his application... and in this game, just having the dust wiped off of your app and someone taking a look at it means a heck of a lot.

Sorry to burst that bubble...but, no. The "very interested" is the best message, with "may interview" being next. The "we have reservations" is at the bottom of the pile...right above the rejections.

VCU uses an obscure tier system that stems from priority scores...the status messages are just reflective of the priority score you have (which they will never tell you, fyi).

I don't recall exactly who got interviews last year, maybe check out the VCU thread...? I got the "may" message and was invited for interview a few weeks later. But I know not everybody who wasn't automatically rejected post-secondary got interviews.

I wonder how many will be interviewed this year? Last year it was 800-ish.

Was trying to put a positive spin on it, but yeah...

Sorry to burst that bubble...but, no. The "very interested" is the best message, with "may interview" being next. The "we have reservations" is at the bottom of the pile...right above the rejections.

VCU uses an obscure tier system that stems from priority scores...the status messages are just reflective of the priority score you have (which they will never tell you, fyi).

I don't recall exactly who got interviews last year, maybe check out the VCU thread...? I got the "may" message and was invited for interview a few weeks later. But I know not everybody who wasn't automatically rejected post-secondary got interviews.

Was trying to put a positive spin on it, but yeah...

sorry...I'm such a debbie downer....

ack, this process makes me all bitter and whatnot...esp. when VCU is concerned. stupid waitlist.

Thanks. It's definitely better than a rejection. :) I was happy to just get past the screen... a few people with better GPAs and MCAT scores than I have didn't make it.

I've never seen a message stating "we have reservations" what does that one look like?

Here are the 5 different messages so far and "order" that I see:

Application Status

"The Committee's file review indicates that they are very interested in your candidacy. There is another increase in the applicant pool this year, but we are trying to get all candidates at your priority score interviewed as soon as possible. Please watch for an e-mail from us regarding a possible interview date."

"The committee's file review indicates that they are interested in your candidacy. However, due to the increase in the applicant pool this year, it is clear we MAY be unable to interview all the candidates at your priority score. If we do find that we are able to grant an interview you will be notified by e-mail."

"The committee's file review indicates that they would like to consider your file further. We are now in the process of scheduling interviews and will continue to do so through February. Unfortunately, the committee indicates interest in far more candidates than we are able to interview. Since we are dependent on the Committee member's schedules for interview spaces, we are unable to predict when or if we will be able to schedule you this year. Please continue to check this site to learn when further action has been taken."

"The committee's file review indicates that they wish to consider your file over the next several weeks before making a decision about interview. Since they have some reservations about granting an interview, your file will be reviewed again by a small sub-committee before making a final decision. Please continue to check this site to learn when further action has been taken."

"REEEEEEEEEEEEJECTEEEED"

nice summary, pjg.

now we just need to start a thread with that info and sticky it so we can forestall the inevitable million threads asking what a certain priority ranking means.

Anybody know if MCV takes letters of interest/intent? I'm obviously not sending one now, but I would like to start crafting one if they'll take it. I just talked about a lot of my interests in the essay, and feel like I should have taken a different approach now. I really would love to go to MCV for a lot of reasons.

I sent them a LOI last year, post-interview.

Can't say it helped my cause much, but it probably didn't hurt. Given the discussions I've had with Dr. WC, they had plenty of other reasons to not accept me :rolleyes:.

I sent them a LOI last year, post-interview.

Can't say it helped my cause much, but it probably didn't hurt. Given the discussions I've had with Dr. WC, they had plenty of other reasons to not accept me :rolleyes:.
Who did you address it to and what form (email, snail mail typed, snail mail written, etc.)? Thanks!

I sent it to Dr. WC, snail mail typed, but signed.

Since they have all of the files on the computer, you could probably just email it because they'll be scanning the snail mail one in anyways.

I saw on the other VCU thread that I've been following that our fellow SDN-er, Irvin, was rejected pre-secondary this year after being interviewed last year.

This happened to me, as well. They had my application from AMCAS for about 24 hours before rejecting me.

I want to give you all a heads up about VCU, because frankly I don't really care now what I write online and if they maybe don't appreciate me repeating what I've been told by people in their admissions office.

I met with the dean several months ago regarding my spot on the waitlist, and how I could improve my application. She told me, in short:
Anything less than a 4.0 is "unacceptable"
My MCAT score shows that I am "clearly intelligent enough" for medical school, but that my undergrad gpa proves that I am "lazy" and that I "have a poor work ethic"

She also then proceeded to tell me than in order to "prove that I am dedicated to medicine" I would need to do the following:
enroll in another graduate program (I am already a masters student) and get a 4.0 in said program
do another 400 hours of shadowing
do a trip to Africa for medical mission work
....and if I do all that, I "may be ready for admission" for the fall of 2010 or 2011

As part of my masters program I am doing research, and she told me that it was a waste of my time and VCU would not look favorably upon it. Nevermind that I am required to do research in order to graduate.

I have friends who have met with the same dean, and they have been told:
"you must enroll in a masters program if you want to be admitted;" of course VCU's own program was recommended. when this student said that she has severe financial hardship and can't pay for more school, the dean said "too bad."

So I wish the rest of you good luck with the app process, but don't expect much from VCU. They apparently wish they were UVa! Talk about unreasonable expectations. The irony here is that of the students I know who attend VCU for medical school (about 20 people spread over several class years) NONE of them fit the above expectations! So there ya go...I think they owe it to students who interviewed in years prior to at least allow them to submit a secondary. But I guess not.

I believe that was the consensus reached in last year's thread. The wording is better ("they are interested in your candidacy" vs. "they would like to consider your file further") and I think SDN'ers with the MAY message got more interviews... at least that's what I recall.

So confused: where do we stand now? Very > MAY > reservations > rejected?

I want to know why they weren't very interested in my candidacy! :mad: I was VERY interested in their school and said as much in their secondary! In great detail, too, I might add. They could at least return the favor. Geez. C'mon now, VCU.

do we have any idea when the first batch of interview invites will be issued?

Status
Not open for further replies.