2009-2010 George Washington University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
how the **** does this thread have 100 posts already?

Members don't see this ad.

It's also one of first secondaries to come out.....

Members don't see this ad :)
so i just finished doing this secondary..
in such few lines i feel like my answers are still incomplete though..

most significant accomplishment in 5 lines! how can you even describe anyting with 5 lines..grr..

so i just finished doing this secondary..
in such few lines i feel like my answers are still incomplete though..

most significant accomplishment in 5 lines! how can you even describe anyting with 5 lines..grr..

GWU is trying to justify the $125. those 5, 8 lines will add next to nothing to our applications.

I wanted to get your guys opinion on something...I just realized i made a possible huge mistake on my amcas app. I worked full time from 9/2005 - 3/2007...and i mention this in my PS and other secondaries. Long story short i worked full time while raising my son and its a big part of my ps and other things...now heres the problem.

I listed my work date at this job from 9/2006 - 3/2007 on my primary app....i double checked my app but i just didnt see this apparently and i cant change it now as i submitted my app already....my main concern is i dont want an adcom to think im like lying or trying to overplay or exaggerate anything. Like i dont want them to think oh this kid is just trying to play it up like he had to work alot when he really only worked 6 months...which isnt true but being the ****** i am i missed this mistake :mad:. Im so scared that this will like **** up my app, please tell me im overreacting and this means nothing. Also should i like email the schools i applied to with a sort of update letter to let them know of this? Im worried that if i do that maybe it will look bad on my part as making a mistake on the primary app....isnt exactly a great way to impress know what i mean?

Man im such a ****ing *****..:(....I was also thinking that adcoms in general get so many apps i doubt they go over your app with a fine tooth comb right? So maybe the mistake wont even be that noticeable? Seriously hating myself right now!!!!!! :(

what about calling the amcas ppl up? I feel like they would change it for you wouldnt they? are we not allowed to add any other acitivities after its submittd?

what about calling the amcas ppl up? I feel like they would change it for you wouldnt they? are we not allowed to add any other acitivities after its submittd?

you cant change it once submitted. Plain and simple :(

elijah, relax. Overreacting, man. I don't have much to do nowadays other than waiting, and I also keep thinking or going over "what if I screwed this part up, what if that's wrong, etc". Really, I don't think it's a big deal.

I wanted to get your guys opinion on something...I just realized i made a possible huge mistake on my amcas app. I worked full time from 9/2005 - 3/2007...and i mention this in my PS and other secondaries. Long story short i worked full time while raising my son and its a big part of my ps and other things...now heres the problem.

I listed my work date at this job from 9/2006 - 3/2007 on my primary app....i double checked my app but i just didnt see this apparently and i cant change it now as i submitted my app already....my main concern is i dont want an adcom to think im like lying or trying to overplay or exaggerate anything. Like i dont want them to think oh this kid is just trying to play it up like he had to work alot when he really only worked 6 months...which isnt true but being the ****** i am i missed this mistake :mad:. Im so scared that this will like **** up my app, please tell me im overreacting and this means nothing. Also should i like email the schools i applied to with a sort of update letter to let them know of this? Im worried that if i do that maybe it will look bad on my part as making a mistake on the primary app....isnt exactly a great way to impress know what i mean?

Man im such a ****ing *****..:(

I wouldn't worry about it that much. Shemarty also had some problems with her timeline and in the end she had some good acceptances. Don't try calling the school. It will only draw more attention to the problem.

I wouldn't worry about it that much. Shemarty also had some problems with her timeline and in the end she had some good acceptances. Don't try calling the school. It will only draw more attention to the problem.

but she also had like a 3.9 and 38 mcat...if i had that i wouldnt worry either...i guess calling would be bad....i hope somehow this doesnt hurt me, i have enough problems with my app besides this lol.

Man im such a ****ing *****..:(....I was also thinking that adcoms in general get so many apps i doubt they go over your app with a fine tooth comb right? So maybe the mistake wont even be that noticeable? Seriously hating myself right now!!!!!! :(

Donot worry; Flipping through a 15 page application and 15 activities, they are not going to look for or remember any dates what so ever.

Members don't see this ad :)
i doubt its a problem, think about how carefully they'll have to look over it to even see that MINOR error. its probably no big deal at all

If I were you Elijah, I wouldn't draw attention to it. I doubt it would matter much. Dates are meant to be estimated. You can correct it if it comes up during your interview.

I wouldn't worry too much about it now, but if I were you I would update schools with this information with the secondaries... I would just assume longevity is important in this process, since most adcomms would rather see someone have few extracurriculars over a long period of time rather than multiple activities for a few months each....Not to mention a year of additional full time work is something you would want them to know about.

I wouldn't worry too much about it now, but if I were you I would update schools with this information with the secondaries... I would just assume longevity is important in this process, since most adcomms would rather see someone have few extracurriculars over a long period of time rather than multiple activities for a few months each....Not to mention a year of additional full time work is something you would want them to know about.
yah thats what i was thinking...but i have no idea what the right thing to do is. Lizzy said i should update them, so did an adcom i know at uci, and a few of the schools i emailed said i should send an update, but still if i do this im worried im going to look like a ***** and like someone else said, its probably not the best first impression for them to have when reading my app..............sigh...........i feel like i already ruined my chances before even sending out one secondary

I say don't draw unnecessary attention to it.

Thats exactly what i feel is the right thing to do, and just maybe clarify at an interview. But im finding it hard to just ignore the advice from 3 adcoms and 2 schools...:scared:

Last edited:
yah thats what i was thinking...but i have no idea what the right thing to do is. Lizzy said i should update them, so did an adcom i know at uci, and a few of the schools i emailed said i should send an update, but still if i do this im worried im going to look like a ***** and like someone else said, its probably not the best first impression for them to have when reading my app..............sigh...........

But a years worth of work is soo much.... It's a honest mistake, I'd be really surprised if they think "this guy is an idiot, he messed up one digit of the year".

Plus if adcomms are telling you to do it, it's probably the best idea.

PS- I don't think you've ruined your chances in any way, you just have to do a bit of additional work updating each school.

its not that serious
i guess...im just going to tell schools, i keep flip-flopping but in the end i reference everything in that job so much, things just wont add up on my app if they see me saying i worked full time in college, then they see a whole year of my work history is missing....If i get rejected everywhere at least i know i made the wrong decision lol. I kinda dont even want to fill out secondaries now:(.

Last edited:
If it makes you feel any better, on my ED volunteering entry I forgot to save the organization name, contact info, and weeks/hour before I submitted (I luckily still had the description). I had a good freak out over it. The point is, there is probbably going to be one or two minor mistakes on most applications. And like people said, they probbably blaze through the primary apps.

This link does not work for me, is anyone else having problems with it? Crashes my browser every time.

any chance you can re-post it?
its here...

If it makes you feel any better, on my ED volunteering entry I forgot to save the organization name, contact info, and weeks/hour before I submitted (I luckily still had the description). I had a good freak out over it. The point is, there is probbably going to be one or two minor mistakes on most applications. And like people said, they probbably blaze through the primary apps.

hmm well do you think its better i just shut up and leave it alone then? I just worry that i said i worked full time in a CC my 1st 2 years in both my PS and disadvantaged essay, then they will check and see i worked 6 months...that would certainly raise my BS meter if i was an adcom...which is why im so scared.

Attachments

• GW_Secondary_Application_2010.pdf
    282.6 KB · Views: 209
I finished a rough draft of this secondary. I'm going to wait until I actually receive the one from GWU before I finalize this draft.

I honestly think that 80% of med applicants apply here

Sorry this isn't a GW question, but I can't find anymore secondaries out right now for this year (except GW)? Are people just using last years for now?

Sorry this isn't a GW question, but I can't find anymore secondaries out right now for this year (except GW)? Are people just using last years for now?

That's what I'm doing.

yale, columbia, evms are all out. Outside of that I used last years, but there is like a 95% chance they will be the exact same. Yales was the same this years as last, columbia was too (minus 1 question maybe), evms is a copy, and gw was basically a copy as they only added one question and kept the rest the same.

Hey guys, I am also applying here and wow I didn't know so many ppl chose GW!!

Elijah05 dont worry about your update, you can draw attention to your app but in a positive way since you did actually work more that you entered in your primary EC ;)

I also have a question do you guys think overcoming a serious illness can qualify for most significant accomplishment?!

Elijah05 dont worry about your update, you can draw attention to your app but in a positive way since you did actually work more that you entered in your primary EC ;)

I also have a question do you guys think overcoming a serious illness can qualify for most significant accomplishment?!

For most part yes, although you only have a limited space to write. Be precise.

It certainly can be imo. Though its hard with the limited space but if thats what you want to go with i see no reason not to.

I think it depends on how you phrase it. If you talk about ur serious illness and then talk abotu how you carried on your day to day life despite this illness, that is certainly an accomplishment.

Like if I were you I would highlight the illness itself briefly, then talk about how you coped with it, and how you eventually got through it.

Last edited:
I feel like there's a fine line between "academic" and "non-academic" accomplishment...I want to say that learning a second language was mine, but it has its basis in the classroom even though I really accomplished it when I lived abroad. Tough call...

Also, when talking about why we want to go to GW, I want to somehow tie in how specific programs of theirs relate to my life, how I've shown commitment to those types of activities, etc., but I feel like there isn't enough space to write this, especially because they could draw those conclusions from my AMCAS. I also don't want to seem like I'm selling myself when I should be praising THEIR school. Do you guys think it's worth including that stuff?

Good luck to all of GW's 21903840917824972348 other applicants :)

I feel like there's a fine line between "academic" and "non-academic" accomplishment...I want to say that learning a second language was mine, but it has its basis in the classroom even though I really accomplished it when I lived abroad. Tough call...

Also, when talking about why we want to go to GW, I want to somehow tie in how specific programs of theirs relate to my life, how I've shown commitment to those types of activities, etc., but I feel like there isn't enough space to write this, especially because they could draw those conclusions from my AMCAS. I also don't want to seem like I'm selling myself when I should be praising THEIR school. Do you guys think it's worth including that stuff?

if theres specific programs you are interested in at GW then write about it and if you want to give an example you can, but remember there is very limited space so you have to be concise. The way you are talking about writing it isnt bad, if you feel comfortable and its the truth then do it. Theres no right way to write these things and you never know what is going to stand out to an adcomm. Also remember anything you say they have already read so just be honest and hope for the best.

I picked out a clearly non-academic pursuit and talked about it.

I know it seems like a long time from now but....

If any of you interview at GW you will realize it is the most relaxed interview day possible. I interviewed at a few other schools and GW was the most laid back of all. I was luckily accepted and I will be attending this fall. I wish you all the best and realize that GW interviewers will not throw you any curveballs...

If any of you interview at GW you will realize it is the most relaxed interview day possible. I interviewed at a few other schools and GW was the most laid back of all. I was luckily accepted and I will be attending this fall. I wish you all the best and realize that GW interviewers will not throw you any curveballs...

hey Hrry, when were you complete at GW, and when did you interview, and when were you accepted? Thanks!

HrryUpNwait, you mind giving us any advice about what you did to increase your chances at an interview? or any tips?

If there were two things I could recommend they would be-

1) Apply to a lot of schools. I applied to 18, wish I had applied to even more. This is your future and spending $3500 on 35 apps instead of $1700 on 17 now is going to be way worth it in the long run. I can promise you that if you don't get in and have to take a year off you will be mad at yourself for not forking out a little more money and a few more apps. It is better to say "Damn I applied to too many schools now I have to pick from 6 acceptances" than "Damn I have to do the AMCAS again and find a one year job!"

2) Send letters after you submit your app. Send a letter saying "Hey this is why I want to go to your school" - it shows you're interested. Send a letter saying "this is what I have been doing since my amcas was submitted". Send as many letters as you can because the more times they see your name the better your chances are- be your own self promoter.

Most of all, be patient. I really thought I wasn't going to even get an interview when DECEMBER rolled around and I hadn't any invites! I would up getting one in Jan and thought it went well and got rejected. I thought my cycle was over. Then I got an interview in Feb and was waitlisted 8 weeks later. Finally an interview in March led to an acceptance in April. BE PATIENT and things will work out.

Thank you for the advice, I'll make sure to follow it! Congratulations on your acceptance, I bet it is such a huge relief to have one.

I called and they said we have to wait for them to send us an email before we can submit our secondary. :(

I called and they said we have to wait for them to send us an email before we can submit our secondary. :(

Of course we have to wait for an email. Did they say when the said email wil come?

Status
Not open for further replies.