2009-2010 George Washington University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
me either :(
maybe they send it out by last name or something...i havnt gotten my mcw essay either :(...though i sent out my gwu today :). I dont even know why i care...its not like its going to matter. I swear this process is going to make me ocd :laugh:. Its making me act crazy...

maybe they send it out by last name or something...i havnt gotten my mcw essay either :(...though i sent out my gwu today :). I dont even know why i care...its not like its going to matter. I swear this process is going to make me ocd :laugh:. Its making me act crazy...
seriously. and I used to be a very laid-back person haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Haven't gotten mine yet either :( Although, I know they don't screen aaaand I already have their secondary filled out, so I suppose it doesn't really matter...

idk why I'm getting so anxious...this process has only just begun!!!

I really don't know what to write about for the non-academic accomplishment. Do you think writing about backpacking across several continents is weak?

I really don't know what to write about for the non-academic accomplishment. Do you think writing about backpacking across several continents is weak?
sounds good to me. Non-academic to me means nothing about volunteering or any of that. I just choose something in my life i felt was important.

I wrote about nursing an ailing parent so I guess it doesn't matter much as long as you consider it as a non-academic accomplishment.

can't be by last name. 'cause i got it early this morning and i'm not an A or anything.

can't be by last name. 'cause i got it early this morning and i'm not an A or anything.
eh i dont know i was just guessing trying to make blue feel better for not getting it so early :p

what do you all think of earning a private pilot's license as being a "non-academic" experience? I mean it had nothing to do with school, yet it did have times where I would have to study and I had to take a written and practical exam to get it...

Members don't see this ad :)
what do you all think of earning a private pilot's license as being a "non-academic" experience? I mean it had nothing to do with school, yet it did have times where I would have to study and I had to take a written and practical exam to get it...
sounds good.

my first secondary :) but 2, 5, and 8 lines, really? this is almost funny....

the phrasing of question #9 is weird though, do they just want to know what classes/activities we're doing in the upcoming year?

the phrasing of question #9 is weird though, do they just want to know what classes/activities we're doing in the upcoming year?
I don't even know why they bothered to change their secondary this year. All it does is create extra work for a still uninformative secondary.

Can anyone who has the quarter system at their undergrad explain how they did the english requirement. I took one years worth (3 classes all 4 units each)
It only has space for 2 english classes, but the semester conversion units don't add up to the 6 hour requirement if i enter ONLY 2 english classes???

Submitted 2 secondaries today. I'm going to work on GW tomorrow.:)

Can anyone who has the quarter system at their undergrad explain how they did the english requirement. I took one years worth (3 classes all 4 units each)
It only has space for 2 english classes, but the semester conversion units don't add up to the 6 hour requirement if i enter ONLY 2 english classes???
GW's instructions say that not everything will fit and to not worry about it since they will refer to your AMCAS coursework.

if we have more than 3 classes in biology do we just list the first ones we took in college? or any three we choose? i know they have access to all our transcripts but will they only focus on the ones we right?.... then will people just only record courses they got A's in?

Yeah and if you type on the application form itself you have to manually go to the next line, it just doesn't spill over. I guess I can understand them wanting the answers to be very brief when they have 13,000 of them to read through.

if we have more than 3 classes in biology do we just list the first ones we took in college? or any three we choose? i know they have access to all our transcripts but will they only focus on the ones we right?.... then will people just only record courses they got A's in?
I think they want the pre-reqs listed (GB 1 and lab etc) .

I don't think that strategy of listing only A work in Bio would benefit you at all since they're going to be looking at the entire application. That and they want your "pre-req" grades as NeuroChaos said.

List all the classes you got an A in! Advanced classes in biology can be used as pre-reqs. Never air your dirty laundry. If they want it, they should find it themselves.

List all the classes you got an A in! Advanced classes in biology can be used as pre-reqs. Never air your dirty laundry. If they want it, they should find it themselves.
To think they wont notice any C though is really ridiculous...it doesnt matter they are not just going to magically forget to you have gotten a C or a bunch of Bs.

i was just wondering because i took a lot of bio classes (it being my major...) and none of them general bio because i AP'ed out of it. so i wasn't sure if i should go chronologically, etc...

i was just wondering because i took a lot of bio classes (it being my major...) and none of them general bio because i AP'ed out of it. so i wasn't sure if i should go chronologically, etc...
I would just list the next set of core classes (e.g. cell bio, genetics, dev bio, microbio, etc.)

List w/e you want if you skipped the general intro classes.

To think they wont notice any C though is really ridiculous...it doesnt matter they are not just going to magically forget to you have gotten a C or a bunch of Bs.

Why make it easy for them? The Cs won't stand out much in a myriad of other grades on your transcript. You highlighting those Cs on your secondary will make them stand out and no good can come from that.

Your secondary will be that last thing they will see when voting for your interview or acceptance.You wanna leave a good memory behind.

Why make it easy for them? The Cs won't stand out much in a myriad of other grades on your transcript. You highlighting those Cs on your secondary will make them stand out and no good can come from that.

Your secondary will be that last thing they will see when voting for your interview or acceptance.You wanna leave a good memory behind.
I see where you are coming from just in my mind that makes no sense. So the committe will not vote for you as you have a C in your pre reqs but the guy who had 3 Cs will get in as they wont be "noticed" since he left them off his pre reqs...I guess w/e not like it matters much anyways. I think you are just really overthinking the process here:)

I got mine today, too! Woo hoo... secondaries have begun! Lol.
I guess I also have a question about the non-academic accomplishment. I am not sure what to write about. My mom suggested overcoming social anxiety or supporting myself during college. Does the first idea just point out something negative that should probably be avoided?

I see where you are coming from just in my mind that makes no sense. So the committe will not vote for you as you have a C in your pre reqs but the guy who had 3 Cs will get in as they wont be "noticed" since he left them off his pre reqs...I guess w/e not like it matters much anyways. I think you are just really overthinking the process here:)

It's a very subjective process. Your interview or acceptance depends on the mood of the person reviewing your file. Shemarty made a great point about putting all her best letters of recommendation on the top of pile to lay a good foundation for the just okay ones. I think there is a psychological benefit for putting your best foot forward.

You may be right about me over-thinking it but with 13,000 applicants........well,:laugh:

It's a very subjective process. Your interview or acceptance depends on the mood of the person reviewing your file. Shemarty made a great point about putting all her best letters of recommendation on the top of pile to lay a good foundation for the just okay ones. I think there is a psychological benefit for putting your best foot forward.

You may be right about me over-thinking it but with 13,000 applicants........well,:laugh:
lol yah that may be true...if it is im ****ed as in 9th grade in High school i got a C in english and have to use it as my eng requirement...granted that my college grades are perfect but i guess well see. Sadly in the end the process is so shrouded in mystery and theres no good info...its just left to the minds of people like me and u...basically just guessing:laugh:. For all we know we are both right lol

So no one knows how they're sending out secondaries? Got verified this past week, and still haven't received mine. Freaking out a little.

So no one knows how they're sending out secondaries? Got verified this past week, and still haven't received mine. Freaking out a little.
no reason to freak out, they will sedn out at least 13k applications if not more this cycle...i dont think its even possible to send 13k at one time. Not to mention most of us who recieved it already were verified near the first day around 6/2 or so.

Got my secondary email this morning. :) Good luck everyone! :luck:

edit: I actually got 2 email.

Elijah,

the word "fee waiever" does not fit into the box. the payment code I think is charatcer limited. any suggestions?

Got mine this morning too (actually they sent 2 identical e-mails)...
4 down, 15 or so left to go - Let's get it.

Yay for relatively simple secondaries :)

Got mine this morning too (actually they sent 2 identical e-mails)...
4 down, 15 or so left to go - Let's get it.

Yay for relatively simple secondaries :)

Hehe. Yea. I finally got two official secondaries from GWU. Too bad since I had already mailed out my completed secondary yesterday.haha.. I think I'm having a case of OCD. I'm not looking forward to the waiting game.Oui

did anyone get like 4 copies of this email? i got one at 8:59, 9:06, 9:08 and at 11:59! wtf.

It seems GWU sends out Secondary invitation even before AMCAS is verified. Mine hasn't been verified yet since AMCAS still has 'not received' transcripts that was sent by my school on 6/2/09. I'm sending another one. Should I send out GWU secondary before AMCAS is verified or should I wait, which could take a few weeks.

So far, I've gotten SIX invitations to fill out GWU's secondary. Guess they must really want me :D:D:D

The GWU secondary asks to list courses that will meet the 6 hours of English requirement...But I only have 4 hours of English....Does anyone know how much they actually care about the English requirement?

Status
Not open for further replies.