2009-2010 George Washington University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The GWU secondary asks to list courses that will meet the 6 hours of English requirement...But I only have 4 hours of English....Does anyone know how much they actually care about the English requirement?
You can not matriculate unless you meet ALL pre med reqs. Meaning that you can not attend school there if accepted w.o it. Its not a big deal though, you just have to make sure you take one more english class before matirculation. And honestly almost every med school has a similar req for english to GW so id recomend taking one sometime soon, either in the summer or fall.

Members don't see this ad.

All right. Time to crack on this thing. Shouldn't take too long.

The GWU secondary asks to list courses that will meet the 6 hours of English requirement...But I only have 4 hours of English....Does anyone know how much they actually care about the English requirement?
NM. I misread. And Elijah is too fast.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
just sent my secondary through snail mail today. :D

now all i have to do is wait. :oops:

Does anyone else think it's ridiculous that they have a line requirement for their essays, and then have such an odd application that what you're typing doesn't even automatically carry through to the next line? Beyond being just difficult to manage, I'm afraid that all this will end up formatting my essay in an awkward manner... like if they change the fonts before printing it out/looking at it, the essay will have awkward spaces in between words/sentences.

Does anyone else think it's ridiculous that they have a line requirement for their essays, and then have such an odd application that what you're typing doesn't even automatically carry through to the next line? Beyond being just difficult to manage, I'm afraid that all this will end up formatting my essay in an awkward manner... like if they change the fonts before printing it out/looking at it, the essay will have awkward spaces in between words/sentences.
It's actually more rare, from my experience, to have a PDF form that does auto-wrap the text.

just sent my secondary through snail mail today. :D

now all i have to do is wait. :oops:
I sent mine too. My GF has all my hardcopy photos so I'll just mail those later.

In typical pre-med angst, though, I'm afraid that they'll pull my app to add the photo and then it won't be where it's supposed to be anymore when they want to review it :(

Do you have two courses or just one course of 3 credits? If two, you may want to call them.
I think 6 hours is a requirement to apply because nearly all 2ndries ask for school specific requirements.

Writing these responses right now. Wish they gave us more lines.

Writing these responses right now. Wish they gave us more lines.
you would rather it be like UCSD or georgetown where its like 5000 character limit?:scared: I love the short essays

I only have one course which was a four credit one and it met the English req at my college..some of the schools that I am applying to does not specifically ask for two semesters of english..anyways I think I am going to take another ENGL class next semester just to be on the safe side. If I decide to call GW, should I call the Asst. Dean or just the admissions office?

I only have one course which was a four credit one and it met the English req at my college..some of the schools that I am applying to does not specifically ask for two semesters of english..anyways I think I am going to take another ENGL class next semester just to be on the safe side. If I decide to call GW, should I call the Asst. Dean or just the admissions office?
you dont need the dean just the admissions office, you can send them an email too.

Members don't see this ad :)
you would rather it be like UCSD or georgetown where its like 5000 character limit?:scared: I love the short essays

Are you serious? Ohio State has 600 word limit for their questions. So freaking long. I only used about 300.

I never realized how long 600 words actually is.

Are you serious? Ohio State has 600 word limit for their questions. So freaking long. I only used about 300.

I never realized how long 600 words actually is.
UCSD is 10,000 characters. That's about 2 pages, BTW.

As a notorious over-writer, these ridiculously short line restrictions are killing me...I feel so limited

:thumbdown:

Hey guys, are you writing the course numbers for your classes? I didn't do that for my amcas and that wasn't a problem.
Also how are you sending the secondary? If its an email who do you send it to?
thanks

Hey guys, are you writing the course numbers for your classes? I didn't do that for my amcas and that wasn't a problem.
Also how are you sending the secondary? If its an email who do you send it to?
thanks
the secondary is sent in via snail mail. as for course numbers just use w/e is on your transcripts or what your school uses.

the secondary is sent in via snail mail. as for course numbers just use w/e is on your transcripts or what your school uses.

When you say snail mail, what do you mean? I know this is probably a dumb question but i honestly don't know

When you say snail mail, what do you mean? I know this is probably a dumb question but i honestly don't know
Snail mail is just the same as letters (that USPS delivers at your house)

Here's another question, If i have an english class left to take but will not take it until my last semester of senior year do I just state the one i am planning on taking even though I haven't registered for it yet?

Here's another question, If i have an english class left to take but will not take it until my last semester of senior year do I just state the one i am planning on taking even though I haven't registered for it yet?
as long as you truly are going to take it yes. For the grade put "IP" and then the year you are going to take it.

Done, I just need to slap on my pic and send it off tomorrow.:)

Ok this may have been asked but I can't find it if it was. Two things:
1. What happens if I can't fit my whole course number in the box. (My CHEM 103 and CHEM 103a won't fit)

2. What did you guys say about why GWU? haha for a back up? (even though the fact that there are so many apps makes it a bad back up)

Also, for the planned activities are you guys putting your school if you will be attending full time?

One more thing (sorry!)
when you did your most significant event how did you start it out? did you say "my most significant non-academic accomplishment was..."?

Thx!

Ok this may have been asked but I can't find it if it was. Two things:
1. What happens if I can't fit my whole course number in the box. (My CHEM 103 and CHEM 103a won't fit)

2. What did you guys say about why GWU? haha for a back up? (even though the fact that there are so many apps makes it a bad back up)

1. I just wrote it in black ink.

2. Don't say it is your backup school.

2. Don't say it is your backup school.

:claps:

Best advice you can get. And if you really can't muster up eight lines about why GWU is a good fit for you, then really... can you spend four years there?! In all honesty though, GWU has an unique curriculum and some opportunities that are specifically offered only through their school. It makes absolute sense why they would be disgusted at the thought of students calling it nothing more than their backup.

:claps:

Best advice you can get. And if you really can't muster up eight lines about why GWU is a good fit for you, then really... can you spend four years there?! In all honesty though, GWU has an unique curriculum and some opportunities that are specifically offered only through their school. It makes absolute sense why they would be disgusted at the thought of students calling it nothing more than their backup.

Yes. I agree with this. You guys should search and do some research on their website. That's what I did.

(I was joking, hence the "haha") I would obviously NEVER write that

as far as being a full time student as an activity? anyone include?

or my other question
when you did your most significant event how did you start it out? did you say "my most significant non-academic accomplishment was..."?

Are you guys writing GW or the whole name out in your response fields?

I was wondering the same thing. Another thing, are you putting periods at the end of your sentences?:smuggrin:
I used super fine tipped pens to write a poem in the form of dots. Join all the "periods" together and the greatest lyric in a thousand years will be revealed to the adcom.

I'm going to try and finish this secondary this weekend to send it off next week, but random question - did anyone receive the secondary from GW before getting AMCAS verified? As far as I'm concerned, I'm not verified yet, and I got a total of FIVE e-mails from GW today telling me about the secondary. Yeah..

I'm going to try and finish this secondary this weekend to send it off next week, but random question - did anyone receive the secondary from GW before getting AMCAS verified? As far as I'm concerned, I'm not verified yet, and I got a total of FIVE e-mails from GW today telling me about the secondary. Yeah..

I believe they know you applied to them without being verified and the multiple emails is likely a glitch in their system.

So has anyone other than me had an issue fitting the course number in? How did you handle this? What part should I cut? For example, should CHEM 103a be CH 103a or CHEM 10?

So has anyone other than me had an issue fitting the course number in? How did you handle this? What part should I cut? For example, should CHEM 103a be CH 103a or CHEM 10?

I was just going to put the number-I mean it's already under the Chem category and you put the name of the class, so I would just put 103a then they can look at the primary app if for some reason they're confused.

I was just going to put the number-I mean it's already under the Chem category and you put the name of the class, so I would just put 103a then they can look at the primary app if for some reason they're confused.

Yeah I guess they have a lot of ways to know it is chem. Thanks!

I just printed the app. and handwrote it.

(I was joking, hence the "haha") I would obviously NEVER write that

as far as being a full time student as an activity? anyone include?

or my other question

I called them about this today and received the very vague answer of "just tell us your most significant non academic accomplishment," and then decided to go off of what was most significant to me, regardless of timing.

I am sort of confused on the english requirement. I tested out of the introductory writing class but it is not listed on my transcript. Therefore, I only have 3 english credits that are recorded. I will take two more writing classes (3 credits total) before I graduate though.

2 questions. 1. There is only room for 2 classes. What should I do?
2. Is it a problem that I haven't completed requirements yet?

I called them about this today and received the very vague answer of "just tell us your most significant non academic accomplishment," and then decided to go off of what was most significant to me, regardless of timing.

LOL!! So they basically read you the prompt...how nice of them ;)

LOL!! So they basically read you the prompt...how nice of them ;)

I know, right?! I tried being sly and rephrasing it in multiple ways, and then flat out saying THIS is my high school experience that I want to use and would admissions look down upon it.

To which she calmly answered, "Please write about your biggest non academic accomplishment," once again.

I think that I'll write about my biggest non-academic accomplishment now! ;)

Is everybody stapling their pictures on the paper? or tape? I am sure this really doesn't matter but I figured I might as well conform...

Status
Not open for further replies.