2010-2011 Louisiana State University - New Orleans Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Early decision app going in as soon as amcas opens up :)

Members don't see this ad :)
:laugh: Ty for your optimism, I hope so. Are you planning on interviewing or do you just mean around campus? I wouldn't mind meeting another SDNer

Last edited:
Anyone OOS applying? I am from NY but have a lot of ties to the city, so I'm thinking of applying...

Good luck to everyone who is applying this cycle.

Anyone OOS applying? I am from NY but have a lot of ties to the city, so I'm thinking of applying...

I'm not sure they even accept oos apps unless you're md/phd. Would be worth double checking.

I'm not sure they even accept oos apps unless you're md/phd. Would be worth double checking.

I think you are right.

If you are no longer a resident of LA, you're only options are MD/PHD or have one of your parents as a LSU-NO alumnus.

I think you are right.

If you are no longer a resident of LA, you're only options are MD/PHD or have one of your parents as a LSU-NO alumnus.

Yep. They are super anal about residency. You have to prove that you've lived here for one year while not a student. I remember sending a utility bill even lol. I'm originally from CT but worked in NOLA for two years after graduating from Tulane before matriculating so that was my loophole.

I think you are right.

aah that sucks. Thanks for the heads up ... saved me $80

Hello everybody.

I am 100% applying here, as a LA resident.

However, I am very intimidated/discouraged by entire medical school admission process. I would like if anybody that's already in this school to give me an honest advice whether I have a chance or not.

Thank you and please pm me !

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everybody.

I am 100% applying here, as a LA resident.

However, I am very intimidated/discouraged by entire medical school admission process. I would like if anybody that's already in this school to give me an honest advice whether I have a chance or not.

Thank you and please pm me !

If you get an interview, you have over a 50% chance of getting in (if I remember correctly).

How long did it take for LSU to send ya'll a secondary from the time you submitted AMCAS?

I got my secondary the same day AMCAS sent their first batch of primaries out (was verified prior)

LSU is kind of slow with their interview invites (and most things) even if you submit super early, so don't worry. Just be patient.

I had already attended an interview and been invited to 4 more before LSU even invited me to schedule an interview.

Hi! I am applying to medical school this year using EDP. I applied to one of the two LSUs using it and was wondering about Step 1 scores. If I get an interview can I found out about average Step 1 score at the school at the interview or is that a secret? I know that these two schools have different curriculums, so I wanted to know the average score or pass/fail rate to help me in my decision process.
Thanks!

I replied in the other thread that you posted in.

But I figure I give this a bump.

Interview invite for Sept. 13/14 :D

loveoforganic, do you mind sharing your stats? i'm nervous about not getting an interview invite yet because LSU-NO received my secondary app not too long after yours (07/07).

has anyone else received an interview invite?

Pretty much everything is in my MDapps profile (under my username). I applied early decision, so unless you did too, I wouldn't sweat not having heard anything from them at all. If you did apply ED, maybe call, but they might even send those invites out in different batches.

Pretty much everything is in my MDapps profile (under my username). I applied early decision, so unless you did too, I wouldn't sweat not having heard anything from them at all. If you did apply ED, maybe call, but they might even send those invites out in different batches.

That makes me feel so much better! I didn't apply early decision so I should be OK. Thanks! :)

That makes me feel so much better! I didn't apply early decision so I should be OK. Thanks! :)

Definitely don't sweat about not hearing anything if you're not early decision.

I had already been on an interview and received 4 invites before LSU emailed me to schedule my interview (Sep 9th, in case you're curious).

Definitely don't sweat about not hearing anything if you're not early decision.

I had already been on an interview and received 4 invites before LSU emailed me to schedule my interview (Sep 9th, in case you're curious).

Thanks for letting me know... you're the best! :) I tend to worry before I need to lol.

I hear LSU-NO (and shreveport) interview in order of applicants MCAT scores. Any truth to this?

I doubt this. I interviewed in late September, which is early, on the same day as people with extremely high MCAT scores (like 8-9 points higher than mine).

True Dat. I had a 29.

EDIT: So that means I interviewed with someone that was 11 points higher than me. :)

Interview invite for Sept 13/14! (EDP)

I did a little happy dance just now.

I got a 'you are complete' email yesterday.

It's my first and way excited. Complete email and interview email came today. I sent my stuff in a couple of weeks ago.

Best of luck to everyone.

It's my first and way excited. Complete email and interview email came today. I sent my stuff in a couple of weeks ago.

Best of luck to everyone.

Good luck!

I saw the first set of tours yesterday and today (for the EDP applicants). Hope y'all had good interviews.

I don't get to tour people around until Feb.

Good luck!

I saw the first set of tours yesterday and today (for the EDP applicants). Hope y'all had good interviews.

I don't get to tour people around until Feb.

I was there Monday :) It went well (I hope!). Committee meets Friday, but don't have to have any final word until Oct. 1, so not really sure when we'll hear news.

Anyone considering combined MPH? MPH in behavioral science is looking realllllly appealing to me.

I was there Monday :)

Yeah, I could tell who you were because you looked the most like a gump.

:smuggrin:

EDIT: Also, for those who have interviewed, don't forget to add some interview feedback on SDN. It really helps out for those who are interviewing later in the cycle.

Last edited:
I loved feeling like the horrible car accident that all L1s were staring at as we walked through the anatomy lab.

That tour schedule is :bullcrap:

I concur.
It was fun seeing all the interviewees all dressed up and marching through the anatomy lab trying to avoid touching the cadavers :D

[edit]: why were like..80% of the EDP interviewees male?

I loved feeling like the horrible car accident that all L1s were staring at as we walked through the anatomy lab.

Were you on Monday's or Tuesday's group?

Tuesday people walked right by my tank and we made a few comments to them.

Hey everybody, quick question: how long after you were complete did you receive a complete e-mail? I've had everything turned into them since early July and have not heard anything back. Starting to get a little nervous/anxious because I'm a borderline applicant.

And be honest with me, do you think I have a legitimate shot with a 28 mcat, 3.5cGPA, and 3.35sGPA? (I also have pretty good EC's and lor's)

Congrats on those who have/had interviews! :thumbup: I wish everyone the best of luck!

Hey everybody, quick question: how long after you were complete did you receive a complete e-mail? I've had everything turned into them since early July and have not heard anything back. Starting to get a little nervous/anxious because I'm a borderline applicant.

And be honest with me, do you think I have a legitimate shot with a 28 mcat, 3.5cGPA, and 3.35sGPA? (I also have pretty good EC's and lor's)

Congrats on those who have/had interviews! :thumbup: I wish everyone the best of luck!

I sent all my secondary stuff in in late August, though I'd been AMCAS-verified by sometime in July. I got a complete email and an interview invite within hours of each other this week. The experienced people from last year can probably comment more knowledgably, but my understanding (from previous forums and from what I have observed this year) that it's still REALLY early in LSU's process.

Eubanks was at the LSU dean's convocation thing this week and said something really odd. He was talking about maturity/professionalism and specifically mentioned Facebook. Be careful, he warned, because "that stuff comes up in our background check," --or words to that effect. WTF?

I don't anticipate this being an issue for me, but it was surprising nonetheless. Is the background check that, uh, invasive?

How long after you received the completion e-mail did you get an interview e-mail. I got a completion email on August 18th and still haven't received an interview. Is this normal? I called to check the status of my application today and was told it was still "under review". This makes me nervous!!

Admissions is a little bit of a black box even to those of us who got in. While your stats are a little below the average, it really doesn't mean nothing, because we have no clue what exactly the adcom committee is going to be looking for in an applicant.

I sent all my secondary stuff in in late August, though I'd been AMCAS-verified by sometime in July. I got a complete email and an interview invite within hours of each other this week. The experienced people from last year can probably comment more knowledgably, but my understanding (from previous forums and from what I have observed this year) that it's still REALLY early in LSU's process.

Yes. I would consider it decently early in LSU's process all the way to Nov./Dec. From what I remember being told, while LSU is a rolling admissions school and people are accepted during this time (me and met can vouch for that), LSU tends to put a lot of people on a "no further action" status. That means you aren't rejected, you aren't accepted, and you are kind of in limbo. Anyway, when Jan. rolls around, I was told LSU really starts handing out the acceptances.

Who knows how accurate this statement is though.

Eubanks was at the LSU dean's convocation thing this week and said something really odd. He was talking about maturity/professionalism and specifically mentioned Facebook. Be careful, he warned, because "that stuff comes up in our background check," --or words to that effect. WTF?

I don't anticipate this being an issue for me, but it was surprising nonetheless. Is the background check that, uh, invasive?

By "background check" he probably just means what the adcom does themselves. The background check run by amcas is going to be looking for arrests and such. If you are worried about it, clean up facebook, tweak your privacy settings, and have friends untag you from photos.

Alright, I'm going to ignore this forum until after our first set of tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.