2010-2011 Ohio State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you guys think the post-interview acceptance rate will stay at 65%? It seems like we all got interviews.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you guys think the post-interview acceptance rate will stay at 65%? It seems like we all got interviews.

Since OSU is rolling, I think that the acceptance rate for the earlier interviews might be even higher. At least, this is what I am hoping hahaha. It's crazy to think that we wont know until October 15th. That is so far away.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone else had problems with the status page? I submitted my secondary on Friday night. This morning, my transaction history on the original secondary form shows "Payment accepted, data sent, received, and confirmed." However, my medSTAR status page, which they say is the most current source of information, says "Awaiting submission of secondary application." Is there some lag time between these two sources? Based on my experiences with other schools, I figured it would all be instant since it's electronic, but maybe not...

just got called for an interview! totally excited for this!:)

i wasnt gonna pick up the call cuz it was a private number, but happy i did!

goodluck to everyone!

got an interview call too! i didn't pick it up because i was busy, but it was the dean of admissions. yay.

You can calculate it from the # interviewed/#accepted

lol that makes sense, i used the numbers from MSAR and it was saying 32% but that was using matriculants/interviewed... but yah i see it now using the numbers from their webstie --- acceptances/interviews (442/689)

Secondary completed 07/19; Interview invite 07/23; Good luck, everyone.

I got an email about a status update yesterday, but then when I looked at my status it still said awaiting submission of secondary. When I checked this morning it just said my status was interview invite and I had the option of confirming. I never received a phone call... and stats for those interested 3.9/ 35S

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an email about a status update yesterday, but then when I looked at my status it still said awaiting submission of secondary. When I checked this morning it just said my status was interview invite and I had the option of confirming. I never received a phone call... and stats for those interested 3.9/ 35S

Nice stats. Are you IS or OOS?

Congrats!!

Wow it seems like a whole lot of interviews this year with no rejections/holds so far. Hope the post-interview chances stay the same for us!

Last edited:
How long does it take from submission to complete? It still says 'waiting for secondary application' even though I submitted a few days ago?

How long does it take from submission to complete? It still says 'waiting for secondary application' even though I submitted a few days ago?

Mine was extremely quick. I submitted it Sunday night a few weeks ago and the next day I got a call for an interview. That's odd if it still isn't saying complete.

Does anyone know where I can find phone/email information to contact them?

is anyone staying with a student host?

is there any information on their website for student hosting? I know there is for those interviewing for residency but I'm not sure about those interviewing for medical school

Well the average MCAT here is what, 34 or 35, so theres gotta be plenty of students accepted with below a 35. You definitely have a chance with less than a 35!

Average at OSU: 3.72c/3.65s/33P

yeah, haha of course you have a chance with under a 35. It just seems like they might be reviewing/sending out interview invites to 35+ers more quickly than the others at the moment. I think everyone who has posted in this thread with an interview invite is 35+. I imagine that will change pretty quickly, though.

yeah, haha of course you have a chance with under a 35. It just seems like they might be reviewing/sending out interview invites to 35+ers more quickly than the others at the moment. I think everyone who has posted in this thread with an interview invite is 35+. I imagine that will change pretty quickly, though.

haha nope. Once again, interview with < 35

Last edited:
they provide directions on how to set it up in the interview invite letter.

so i guess no one is staying with a student host :laugh:

I decided to go with a student host if I can get one. Save money and learn more about the school that way.

My school has alumni that allow students to stay with them, so I will probably do that. There are around 10-15 a year at Ohio State. I thought about going through Ohio State but figure going through my own school would be easier.

Hey. I am an undergrad at Ohio State right now and I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! It is a great school! Good Choice :). If you are interviewing on the 13th of September I will be there! If you have an general questions about the University let me know (I don't know much about their med school, but I know a lot about OSU and Columbus!)

Hey. I am an undergrad at Ohio State right now and I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! It is a great school! Good Choice :). If you are interviewing on the 13th of September I will be there! If you have an general questions about the University let me know (I don't know much about their med school, but I know a lot about OSU and Columbus!)

:thumbup: OSU and Columbus are great!

September 13th is my interview date! I am so excited, certainly one of my very top schools, if not my top one.

hey guys, relax about the student host, we (first years) start on aug 9th, I am sure we get more info and sign ups for student host after then, so be on the look out either that week or week after for student hosts.

I submitted July 25th and got an interview invite today.. 3.49/36R. My first invite! I just got the email, as well. Interview on October 11th.

Any tips for getting from Columbus airport to the University?

Unfortunately, public transportation in Columbus is somewhat lacking (especially from the airport to campus area), so your best bet is probably to take a taxi. It's somewhat expensive - $20-25. If you're staying with the student hosts, sometimes they will come pick students up at the airport.

Is it frowned upon at this school to not stay at a student host? Has anyone been asked if they did at an interview?

I"m hoping not because I probably won't/traveling with family. And they did provide you a list of hotels so hopefully they don't care where you stay.

interview invite for 9/29, oos applicant!

Last edited:
Any tips for getting from Columbus airport to the University?

i've flown into port columbus before, and i was able to take their bus system to the campus area. granted, it was a 40 min trip (up from the 10-15m it took my friend to drive me back there), but it was only $2.__ fare. the reason it took so long is that it went through suburbs and required a transfer downtown onto the main road. the busdriver was very helpful though; i told him where i needed to go and he told me when to get off/what bus to look for. there were a fair amount of other people with luggage on that route, so they're probably used to it. for being unfamiliar with it, it was a pretty easy trip for me. i would look into it if i were you.

allegedly, they have a direct express route to/from campus around the time their undergrad starts and people have to move in from out of town. i would check that out, depending when you are interviewing. for a destination like osu, cabs probably have a flat fare.

CABS is OSU's own bus system. It runs only in the area directly surrounding OSU so you won't be able to catch that from the airport. However, COTA is the central ohio transit authority and runs throughout Columbus, so that would be the bus you are looking for. There is a direct express COTA route between the airport and OSU, the #52, however it only runs on select days. On their website it listed these days only,

2010 Service Dates
[FONT=GillSans,GillSans][FONT=GillSans,GillSans]January 1, 2, 3..
[FONT=GillSans,GillSans]March 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 26, 27, 28..
[FONT=GillSans,GillSans]June 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 18, 19, 20..
[FONT=GillSans,GillSans]August 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29..
[FONT=GillSans,GillSans]November 23, 24, 27, 28..
[FONT=GillSans,GillSans]December 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 31..
.2011 Service Dates
[FONT=GillSans,GillSans][FONT=GillSans,GillSans]January 1, 2..

[FONT=GillSans,GillSans]However, the #92 consistently runs to and from the airport but it will require you to change buses. Cota's website (cota.com) suggests taking the 92 to E. Main St. and then changing to the #2 which will take you west on Main st. and then N. on High street to OSU. It will take a while, but it is cheap that is for sure. That is not the only route, but that is the simplest. You can look into it more if you would like. Cota's website is really good at supplying maps and schedules and even a trip planner, so I recommend checking it out. :).

I'll be there interviewing on the 13th too. Strong SDN turnout on 9/13! OSU will be my first interview and I'm so pumped.

Thanks for the bus info. I'll probably do the long route and save $20, unless I'm lucky and a student host picks me up anyway.

Has anyone ever been asked during an interview at this school whether they stayed with a student host?

Has anyone ever been asked during an interview at this school whether they stayed with a student host?

My friend who interviewed there last year wasn't asked that. I don't see how they could care.

I just received my interview invitation for October. AMCAS primary early June Secondary Received August 3. Invite on the 4th. Is that a good sign? Does it matter my date is Oct 18 rather than in September?

Would love to go to this school!!

Anyone know what they may ask? How best to prepare? I missed the phone call but he sounded very enthusiastic! Which is how feel! I want to be a doctor!!

lol doesn't matter, I have been asked that before at some schools, but it's just for conversation, has nothing to do with you getting in the school or not

lol doesn't matter, I have been asked that before at some schools, but it's just for conversation, has nothing to do with you getting in the school or not

Thanks, good to know.

Sorry but do you happen to remember if you got asked that at Ohio state? I kind of have a special reason to ask. This is a top school for me now so I'm kind of paranoid.

Status
Not open for further replies.