2010-2011 University of California - Davis Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just received the interview invite :)

Quite surprised to get this on a Sunday night.
Like the rest of you though, I can't schedule an interview date.
:luck: to everyone who is waiting to hear back!

Members don't see this ad.

Just received the interview invite :)

Quite surprised to get this on a Sunday night.
Like the rest of you though, I can't schedule an interview date.
:luck: to everyone who is waiting to hear back!

Did they send you an email, or did you find out your status online?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the secondary! OOS, super surprised... I was figuring my chances were better to win the lottery without buying a ticket than get screened in here.

Other OOSers who might be waiting on UCD: I'm nontrad, and I have EXTREMELY strong ties to the state and this area in particular. Grew up less than 1 hour away, dad still lives there, went to HS and 4 yrs of college in NorCal. Average stats for UCD. GL to everyone and congrats on the interviews for those that got them!

Ok, so the applicant portal is a little confusing haha. I checked today for "available dates" for my interview and noticed that it said i needed to "confirm" my Sept 2nd date? is this the case with anyone else??? did you guys get to pick? or were you assigned this date? :/ confuseddd. i thought we were going to get to pick from a bunch of dates.

did anyone not answer the question about the most concerning part of your application?

hey guys, from the looks of it it seems that uc davis sends the invite through email only right? Is the applicant portal the same as the link for the secondary? I just want to make sure since i didn't get any official letter from uci and had to log in to find the invite

hey guys, from the looks of it it seems that uc davis sends the invite through email only right? Is the applicant portal the same as the link for the secondary? I just want to make sure since i didn't get any official letter from uci and had to log in to find the invite

AT UC Davis, they'll send you an email inviting you to complete the secondary application. UC Irvine does the same thing. At all the UCs, you' should get two emails--one saying your AMCAS was received and will now undergo a review, and then a second email inviting you to complete the secondary. The applicant portal at UCD is where you can access the secondary and check your status.

It's possible that your UCI email disappeared into cyberspace, because you're supposed to receive an invitation email.

AT UC Davis, they'll send you an email inviting you to complete the secondary application. UC Irvine does the same thing. At all the UCs, you' should get two emails--one saying your AMCAS was received and will now undergo a review, and then a second email inviting you to complete the secondary. The applicant portal at UCD is where you can access the secondary and check your status.

It's possible that your UCI email disappeared into cyberspace, because you're supposed to receive an invitation email.

oh i was talking about the interview invites, sorry for the confusion :oops:

I've been complete since 7/13, with no word yet. Anyone else in same boat?

^^^same here. Complete 7/15, no word. I'm guessing they looked at my app, couldn't decide whether to interview or reject, and put it into a "keep him waiting forever" pile. Better than the R I guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my 1st invite from here! So excited!
Complete 8/3 with pretty average stats. There's hope for cali students without 36 mcats and 3.9 gpas!

Man, still no love from my cali schools, I really wish I was from Texas :(

OMG FIRST INTERVIEW INVITE!!!! WOOHOO!!! :soexcited::clap:

Sorry!! I'm very excited, considering my stats: 3.99cGPA/28M :(

And since all my close family and friends are at work or unreachable, I haven't been able to share the good news yet!!

And since all my close family and friends are at work or unreachable, I haven't been able to share the good news yet!!

Hahah...well this would be the place to share it! Congratulations!! When did you submit your application?

Hahah...well this would be the place to share it! Congratulations!! When did you submit your application?

Thank you so much!!! I got the email on my phone while I was at a car wash... I started jumping around like an idiot lol :p. I really wasn't getting my hopes too high because of my MCAT score, so this was a pleasant surprise :).

Submitted Secondary: 8/1
LORs received: 8/6
Interview Invite Email: Today... 42 min ago :D
No interview dates are posted yet.

Last edited:
Thank you so much!!! I got the email on my phone while I was at a car wash... I starting jumping around like an idiot lol :p. I really wasn't getting my hopes too high because of my MCAT score, so this was a pleasant surprise :).

Submitted Secondary: 8/1
LORs received: 8/6
Interview Invite Email: Today... 42 min ago :D
No interview dates are posted yet.

Well that's a very good feat to achieve! I was complete on the 13th and I haven't heard a word from UCD.

4 interview dates are finally up:

They are every Friday of September.

I hope they post October dates soon...think they'll just do most Friday's of the month?

Congrats to those of you who got interviews! :D

If they're sending out invites, it probably means they'll be sending out another batch of Rs soon O___O
I don't mean to be insensitive, but for those of you who have gotten the R, was there any status change or message on your applicant status check page?

congrats! i just got my first interview from davis today!! super excited!!

is anyone having trouble scheduling your interview? i click the different months but nothing comes up

Thanks! Congrats to you too :)

Mine is also blank. Don't worry, they said they'll be updating it with available dates.

The email said interviews will be held anytime from Sept-May. Would it be an advantage to schedule an earlier date? Sept is awfully soon, I wanted some time to prepare first and I'm sure flights are cheaper the earlier in advance you get them. And I need to buy an interview outfit and whatnot.

Thanks! Congrats to you too :)

Mine is also blank. Don't worry, they said they'll be updating it with available dates.

The email said interviews will be held anytime from Sept-May. Would it be an advantage to schedule an earlier date? Sept is awfully soon, I wanted some time to prepare first and I'm sure flights are cheaper the earlier in advance you get them. And I need to buy an interview outfit and whatnot.

congrats to you too!

i guess there are pros and cons to any date. the sooner the interview, the sooner you will likely hear back since its rolling admissions. but later is good so you can prepare well.

I hope they post October dates soon...think they'll just do most Friday's of the month?

From the looks of September interviews, they'll probably do most of the Fridays of October? but I'm only guessing >.<

For whoever was asking about the LOR waivers, it sounds like the waiver is completely voluntary.

If you prefer that any of the letters of evaluation should be confidential, you may waive your rights to inspect and review the letter(s). Such waivers are voluntary, and they are not required as a condition of including letters of evaluation in your admissions file....

Anyone going to do this? I don't see a good reason to do it since it's more effort than checking a box like some other secondaries ask.​

From the looks of September interviews, they'll probably do most of the Fridays of October? but I'm only guessing >.<

Can you guys see any interview dates? or are they all taken already?
When I log on, it still says that no dates are available!

Can you guys see any interview dates? or are they all taken already?
When I log on, it still says that no dates are available!

im in the same boat. i logged in and nothing shows up for any month.

im in the same boat. i logged in and nothing shows up for any month.

Pheew, glad to know i'm not the only one, it really sucks that we have to wait till monday to be able to call and get it fixed. Oh well, an october date isn't too bad.

Would anybody who got an invite or who got rejected be willing to post their stats and activities? This is driving me crazy.

Would anybody who got an invite or who got rejected be willing to post their stats and activities? This is driving me crazy.

I posted my stats earlier: 3.99cGPA/4.0sGPA/28M (9-9-10), CA resident.

Activities: ~1.5 years hospital/clinic volunteering (185 hours so far), 2 years leadership position in health-related community service club (~560 hours), 2.5+ years of very involved research (something like 3,000+ hours total, both paid and non-paid), a few publications/abstract/poster, 1 year research fellowship, 1 year tutoring job, 1 year retail job, co-founded a science-related club (1+ years), scholarships, etc.

Invited for interview :)

Sure, I got an invite with a 3.5/32. SO STOKED.

just to clarify, have they been rejecting post-secondary at all or just pre-secondary? Im kind of nervous Ive heard nothing but ive only been complete since 7/23

Sure, I got an invite with a 3.5/32. SO STOKED.

Congrats man! Thanks for responding. I have a 3.5 cumulative and science, 4.0 post-bacc, 37 MCAT. I was complete August 5th. Hoping to hear something soon. It freaks me out that people who were complete after me already got interviews.

I posted my stats earlier: 3.99cGPA/4.0sGPA/28M (9-9-10), CA resident.

Activities: ~1.5 years hospital/clinic volunteering (185 hours so far), 2 years leadership position in health-related community service club (~560 hours), 2.5+ years of very involved research (something like 3,000+ hours total, both paid and non-paid), a few publications/abstract/poster, 1 year research fellowship, 1 year tutoring job, 1 year retail job, co-founded a science-related club (1+ years), scholarships, etc.

Invited for interview :)

Congrats man! You have a fabulous GPA and great activities.

My activities are solid and my MCAT score is very good but my GPA is mediocre. I was hoping that my post-bacc GPA of 4.0 over 38 units of science classes and my MCAT score would compensate.

No problem. Got an interview with 3.85, 36P.

No problem. Got an interview with 3.85, 36P.

Thanks....you were pretty much a shoe in for an interview unless you had no activities at all...or people trashed you in your LORs.

Congrats man! You have a fabulous GPA and great activities.

My activities are solid and my MCAT score is very good but my GPA is mediocre. I was hoping that my post-bacc GPA of 4.0 over 38 units of science classes and my MCAT score would compensate.

Thanks! (I'm female, but you wouldn't know from my username lol). Yeah, I'm hoping my MCAT score doesn't destroy my chances this cycle. Good luck to you! I'm sure they'll overlook your mediocre GPA especially with a great post-bacc GPA. And that MCAT you posted is amazing!!! You'll get in somewhere, I'm sure UCD just hasn't gotten to your app yet. I feel like the whole process is very random.

Does anyone know if UCD accepts FAP (fee waiver)? I just received the secondary today (they work on Sundays?! xD) so I can't call and ask..

and UCD seems very random.. I applied here just because I live in California, never expecting a secondary. My GPA was a miserable 3.0 and my MCAT was 30.. Maybe they just look at your PS and not your numbers?

anyone else still having trouble scheduling the interview?

AMCAS completed processing my application and a mere TWO DAYS later, UC Davis proceeded to email me their rejection letter :(

I'm not sure why they were so quick to reject. My stats are not spectacular, but they are not immediately reject-worthy, are they?: 3.6 cum (3.5 sci), 31O (previously 29Q).

I have a buttload of ECs, too! The whole she-bang: volunteering in a hospital, doing service aboard, tons of teaching/tutoring, lab research for 2 years, etc, etc...

Maybe it was my PS? I spent a LONG time making sure it was perfect though. I had many people read it...

hmmmm

Should I call the admissions and ask for the reason? Is that recommended?

Don't worry man. I got rejected from UC-Irvine within 5 days after completion even though I am in state. And, I received interview invites from UPitt, Yale, and Albert Einstein. So, be relaxed and wait :)

On the side-note, I haven't heard anything from Davis after 3 weeks of completion. Maybe, I am just not attractive to my state schools. So, take my words with a grain of salt.

may I ask your stats? im instate too and havent heard anything from davis or irvine as well

just got my interview invite! Love the time flexibility and friday only interview dates:)

Status
Not open for further replies.