2010-2011 University of California - Davis Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone else still having trouble scheduling the interview?

They just fixed it, it turned out that if you applied as "disadvantaged" then you get seperate interview dates. I just signed up for Oct 15th.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry man. I got rejected from UC-Irvine within 5 days after completion even though I am in state. And, I received interview invites from UPitt, Yale, and Albert Einstein. So, be relaxed and wait :)

On the side-note, I haven't heard anything from Davis after 3 weeks of completion. Maybe, I am just not attractive to my state schools. So, take my words with a grain of salt.

I am in-state too. I went to UCSD for undergrad

Anybody know about when they'll post up available October interviewing dates? I would really prefer to interview in October if possible. Would my chances be adversely affected if I interviewed in Oct vs Sept?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
They just fixed it, it turned out that if you applied as "disadvantaged" then you get seperate interview dates. I just signed up for Oct 15th.

cool, yea i just saw the email last night. i signed up for the oct 15th one also. i wonder why are we on a specific day bc disadvantaged.

cool, yea i just saw the email last night. i signed up for the oct 15th one also. i wonder why are we on a specific day bc disadvantaged.

I think the interview questions will be different and our interview person might be and underrepresented student or faculty to make us more comfortable.

.....as Bush would say this is all "Speculation". :D

I think the interview questions will be different and our interview person might be and underrepresented student or faculty to make us more comfortable.

.....as Bush would say this is all "Speculation". :D

yeah we (students) are blocked off from giving tours and lunch panels on those days since they coordinate those days specially.

Interview invite! I am so surprised to get this...my first interview of the season. I just submitted the secondary last week (August 11). So Stoked!!

bah i turned in my secondary last week too :scared:
No interview invite T_T

yeah we (students) are blocked off from giving tours and lunch panels on those days since they coordinate those days specially.

Do you know what going to be special about it?

First interview invite for me today! Complete 8/9, 3.7/31R, URM.

Anybody just receive a second interview invite email? When I saw the subject of the email, for a moment I thought maybe they had changed their minds about inviting me lol. I'm glad they haven't!!

Is it because I haven't picked a date yet? I'm kind of hoping they'll post some October dates soon, or should I not wait? I feel like I need some time to prepare, I wasn't expecting to get inviting so quickly.

Also, anybody know about the UC Davis' "multiple mini interviews" process? Seems like they're trying the MMI thing this year. I've heard about the MMI from someone who interviewed at UCLA last year. It sounds scary! :scared:

Anybody just receive a second interview invite email? When I saw the subject of the email, for a moment I thought maybe they had changed their minds about inviting me lol. I'm glad they haven't!!

Is it because I haven't picked a date yet? I'm kind of hoping they'll post some October dates soon, or should I not wait? I feel like I need some time to prepare, I wasn't expecting to get inviting so quickly.

Also, anybody know about the UC Davis' "multiple mini interviews" process? Seems like they're trying the MMI thing this year. I've heard about the MMI from someone who interviewed at UCLA last year. It sounds scary! :scared:
I would interview as soon as you can!

Members don't see this ad :)

don't know much about it, but I do know you'll have a one week turn around time this year (which is ridiculous, compared to previous years).

Getting confused here on the Prerequisites page. On the chart on top of the page where it lists the different subject areas and the "Minimum Total Course Units," are those units for the semester system or for a quarter system? Do I need to convert those values somehow to translate to my units from a quarter system school??

Example:
The minimum total course units for math is 9. Is that 9 semester units or 9 quarter units? Or is it 13.5 quarter units (9 x 1.5)?

EDIT: UGH..nvr mind. I read the faq the end of the app...

Last edited:
don't know much about it, but I do know you'll have a one week turn around time this year (which is ridiculous, compared to previous years).

Sorry, what do you mean by "one week turn around?" Do you mean, once they offer you an acceptance, you have one week to give an answer/deposit?

:( I waited, waited, and waited....

I guess I'm not getting one then, just like what I expected :(

Sooooooooooooooooo SAD!

It's okay! Don't give up hope yet, Good luck with the rest of the schools!

I'm waiting toooo... :(

ive been complete since 7/14 and i haven't been outright rejected or invited for interview... should i call them? or just accept my silent rejection :(

ive been complete since 7/14 and i haven't been outright rejected or invited for interview... should i call them? or just accept my silent rejection :(

Hang in there! I was complete 7/25 and sill not a word. I think they're just sitting on our applications until we're more competitive in the current pool (hopefully that will happen soon *fingers crossed*). Does anyone know if they small pool people?

Complete since the 13th and all is quiet here....it's not a rejection til they send us the letter! :)

Complete since the 13th and all is quiet here....it's not a rejection til they send us the letter! :)

exactly.. since they have rejected some people, getting neither a rejection or an interview has to mean something at least ok haha

does anyone know when they are going to post up oct. interview dates?

Sorry, what do you mean by "one week turn around?" Do you mean, once they offer you an acceptance, you have one week to give an answer/deposit?

they'll give you an answer a week after your interview supposedly. Some people in my class heard back 9 months later, so one week is pretty good.

they'll give you an answer a week after your interview supposedly. Some people in my class heard back 9 months later, so one week is pretty good.

Oh wow! How did you find that out?

Rejected 8/23

3.98, 34S, instate.

Goodluck to everyone else!

sorry to hear.. when did you complete the secondary?

I was complete on 8/9.

One thing that bothers me is that the actual rejection is as follow:

Dear_______,

Thank you for applying to the UC Davis School of Medicine. Your application was thoroughly reviewed by at least one member of the Admissions Committee. Unfortunately, we are unable to offer you a position for the class entering in July 2011. Each year we receive nearly 5,000 applications and with fewer than 100 available seats, the Admissions Committee faces an extremely difficult task. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

Sincerely,

Admissions Committee, UC Davis School of Medicine
University of California, Davis

It really says Dear _____,

Do they normally fill in your name or is this standard procedure?

I was complete on 8/9.

Dear_______,

Thank you for applying to the UC Davis School of Medicine. Your application was thoroughly reviewed by at least one member of the Admissions Committee. Unfortunately, we are unable to offer you a position for the class entering in July 2011. Each year we receive nearly 5,000 applications and with fewer than 100 available seats, the Admissions Committee faces an extremely difficult task. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

Sincerely,

No, that definitely isn't normal. That's terrible. I guess it's better than the one rejection I've gotten so far, which just basically said "Hey Daisy, You just aren't good enough for us. Better luck next time." But they did remember to include my name.

I was complete on 8/9.

Dear_______,

Sincerely,

Sorry to hear about that rejection. I know they're real busy but it's a little insulting that they can't even check their letters to at least have your name on there...that's the least they can do after taking your money. Good luck with the other schools. You have great stats, I'm sure you'll get some love elsewhere.

As a reapplicant to Davis, I'm a little confused about the 3 experiences part. Two of my formative experiences from my last application happened early as an undergraduate and not much has changed in the past year. I know of at least one good experience I could change, but would it be appropriate to send my application with 2 of my experiences being identical to what they were last year?

I was complete on 8/9.

Dear_______,

Sincerely,

Yeah I just got the "Dear _____" rejection too! At least I wasn't the only one... but seriously, way to put in the effort on that Davis.

As a reapplicant to Davis, I'm a little confused about the 3 experiences part. Two of my formative experiences from my last application happened early as an undergraduate and not much has changed in the past year. I know of at least one good experience I could change, but would it be appropriate to send my application with 2 of my experiences being identical to what they were last year?

I don't think it's a huge problem at all--assuming they were formative and "not the reason" for your rejection initially--hard to know definitively, but include them if they were very strong and meaningful experiences.

Yeah I just got the "Dear _____" rejection too! At least I wasn't the only one... but seriously, way to put in the effort on that Davis.

You know, I got an interview invite, but it also said "Dear -name-" "Admissions Year -adm_year-:" on the email. Don't take it personally, apparently they just don't do the individual name thing.

JBruin, you've got excellent stats!! I'm sure you'll have more luck elsewhere, good luck! :luck:

oh dear god that name thing is terrible. seriously guys, don't be put off by the admissions correspondence. Stuff like that is really really really limited to the admissions office (both fortunately and and unfortunately I guess). Overall I've been ridiculously happy with the staff here, they really want you to be happy.

been complete since 7/18...still no word

should i call?...

when i log in to my application portal it says that i only have 1 more day to complete my secondary, when i already submitted and am complete....is anyone else still seeing that?

should i call?...

when i log in to my application portal it says that i only have 1 more day to complete my secondary, when i already submitted and am complete....is anyone else still seeing that?

Same here...
Complete 7/18 and no word.

My application also says 1 day left to complete the secondary...

should i call?...

Yeah I still have the date countdown on my status page too. I don't think it's anything to worry about. I wish all schools were a little more prompt about going through our stuff... the wait's killing me!

I've been complete since 7/20 and still haven't heard anything. I already have interviews from U of Michigan, Pitt, and UCI.

I don't know whats taking so long, I have a 3.63 cGPA and 3.70 sGPA and a 39Q on the MCAT. Should I be worried??

I've been complete since 7/20 and still haven't heard anything. I already have interviews from U of Michigan, Pitt, and UCI.

I don't know whats taking so long, I have a 3.63 cGPA and 3.70 sGPA and a 39Q on the MCAT. Should I be worried??

.....No, you have interviews from 3 great schools. Just wait and see what happens. Be patient.

For those with rejections from UCD, did your status change on the applicant status portal?

I ask because I was complete on the first day applications went out, and I haven't heard a peep from them. I'm guessing they're just stringing me along, but it could also be I just never got the rejection letter haha. My status still says my application is complete, and there's nothing in the Message Centre.

BUMP

I got an e-mail of interview day information yesterday that says "More information will come about the Multiple Mini Interview process we will be using this year." :scared:

I can't find any good info on it. Anybody know anything about MMI? Thanks in advance!

For those with rejections from UCD, did your status change on the applicant status portal?

I ask because I was complete on the first day applications went out, and I haven't heard a peep from them. I'm guessing they're just stringing me along, but it could also be I just never got the rejection letter haha. My status still says my application is complete, and there's nothing in the Message Centre.

i just got rejected today and they send you an update message in the application portal

damn rejected. I thought I would have a nice chance since we seemed like a good couple haha. If anyone sees an e-mail with the subject "Thank you for applying." lol as I a die-hard NBA fan REJECTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yay my first post... only to say i got the rejection letter too...

BUMP

I got an e-mail of interview day information yesterday that says "More information will come about the Multiple Mini Interview process we will be using this year." :scared:

I can't find any good info on it. Anybody know anything about MMI? Thanks in advance!

Yeah, the whole MMI thing makes me nervous, since I don't know much about it. Anyone have any information specifically on UC Davis' MMI format?

Also, what was your "interview day information" email about? I've only received the initial invite email.

Also, what was your "interview day information" email about? I've only received the initial invite email.

It gave me the contact info for student host coordinator and information on scheduling the student run clinic visit. It didn't tell me anything about the actual interview day except for this: "More information will come about the Multiple Mini Interview process we will be using this year."

I presume they will send out another e-mail with details? :)

It gave me the contact info for student host coordinator and information on scheduling the student run clinic visit. It didn't tell me anything about the actual interview day except for this: "More information will come about the Multiple Mini Interview process we will be using this year."

I presume they will send out another e-mail with details? :)

Oh okay, thanks! About how long between the time you received the initial interview invite email and this email? If you don't mind me asking :). I'm just worried because I haven't gotten this email...

so for the initial interview email, they said the day will start at 7:15 AM. After I scheduled my date, they sent me another email and in this one they say it starts at 8 AM. Which one is it? haha

for those of you who have heard no news, its still good. I was complete since 7/23 and just got my invite yesterday so its been over a month

Status
Not open for further replies.