2011-2012 Interview Gossip/Chit-Chat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got an interview today from a program that was already listed as having sent out invites, so I think there are still programs on the list of having already given invites who still have more to give. Don't lose hope!

Members don't see this ad.

Alright guys, seems like about half the interviews have gone out so far. I only have 3. Time to freak out yet? Anyone else in the same boat?
2 of my invites came later than the date posted at Student Doctor. One of them 2 weeks later. So unless you received a rejection from program do not give up on it. So far there are 39 programs that have sent invites and there are 43 left or so. So there is still some to go. Also remember that some people will appologize later on as they stack intreviews and more openings will happen. I would not worry until mid Dec after all the intreviews are out and all the suffuling has occured.

2 of my invites came later than the date posted at Student Doctor. One of them 2 weeks later. So unless you received a rejection from program do not give up on it. So far there are 39 programs that have sent invites and there are 43 left or so. So there is still some to go. Also remember that some people will appologize later on as they stack intreviews and more openings will happen. I would not worry until mid Dec after all the intreviews are out and all the suffuling has occured.

Thanks, that's kind of reassuring. Nevertheless, still pretty scared.

Members don't see this ad :)
About half of the programs I've applied to have sent out word. I have 3 interviews and 2 rejections. Here is hoping good news is on the way.

If you are interested in a particular program, does it make sense for you to call the program coordinator and indicate this interest pre-interview? How is that kind of thing received by programs?

Southwest worked well for me. Theyre the most flexible for flight changes and I got a free flight out of the interview season.

Have you guys found any good frequent flyer programs during all of your interview prep for this year?

Depending on how many credit cards you are willing to sign up for, you can easily fly for free to all your interviews. My husband signed up for 8 different cards, and I should be able to fly to at least 8 of the interviews for free. Make sure that you apply to all the credit cards on the same day, that way the credit pulls happen before the other credit card companies can see them. His credit score went down 37 points due to all the credit agency pulls, but it will be back where it was in one year. If you aren't married this will be difficult because you are not likely to get approved as a medical student.

Have you guys found any good frequent flyer programs during all of your interview prep for this year?

Southwest worked well for me. Theyre the most flexible for flight changes and I got a free flight out of the interview season.

I second Southwest. Only drawback is that they fly in mid-to-large sized cities, so any of you guys living in or travelling to small towns are probably out of luck.

Great service, no baggage or change feeds and their flights are generally on time. They have a FF program as well as a Visa credit card to rack up miles.

Anybody notice that all three of the North Carolina programs have the exact same interview dates? (Dec 12, Jan 9) Coincidence?

Guys and Gals,
I am starting to get worried a bit after the large influx of intreviews in the last couple of days. I currently have 6 intreviews with 35 more programs to go. I am worried that today and yesterday I only got 1 intreview out of 12, as I am starting to doubt my self and I am thinking that I must have a weakness in my appliation that I did not see. Am I still in decent shape or should I be worried? any advices on where I stand right now?
Thank you all and hope every one is doing well with there intreviews

I noticed this also, and I find it to be interesting. In other fields (notably ortho) this is common practice to force candidates to choose the programs they truly prefer ahead of time. It is undoubtedly frustrating to applicants from those schools or those who want to be in that area.

Programs are sometimes sympathetic to applicants as well. For a number of years, UCSF & Stanford always scheduled interviews on consecutive days so that applicants could make a single trip.

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys and Gals,
I am starting to get worried a bit after the large influx of intreviews in the last couple of days. I currently have 6 intreviews with 35 more programs to go. I am worried that today and yesterday I only got 1 intreview out of 12, as I am starting to doubt my self and I am thinking that I must have a weakness in my appliation that I did not see. Am I still in decent shape or should I be worried? any advices on where I stand right now?
Thank you all and hope every one is doing well with there intreviews

Impossible to say without your Step 1, AOA status, and research, but 6 interviews at this point sounds good.:thumbup:

I think you are doing just fine with 6. All you need is a couple more to "statistically match" based upon NRMP data. I wouldn't worry too much, although easier said than done, I know.

How important are pre-interview dinners? If I schedule two interviews back to back there is no way I can make it to the dinner of the second school. I would really like to make it to every dinner possible but it doesn't seem likely at this point. Will programs see it as a sign that you are not serious about the program if you can't make it to the dinner?

Programs generally understand if an applicant is flying in late or leaving early and can't attend the dinner. The interview dinner is more a way for you to learn about the program in a laid back atmosphere. IMO, although I would try to attend if possible, if you miss an interview dinner, it should not have an impact on your ranking at a program.

Does anybody know which programs send out interviews in waves? I'm just wondering, of the programs that have already sent out invites which ones may have more on the way?

As the title states, I'm a mess. I have no interviews at this point and I'm not a stellar candidate. Is it time for a back up? And what should that be?

I have avg. Step 1 220s, Step 2 240s, no pubs, no big name letters, some research experience and a current project in the works. My dean's letter was good, not great. no home program to boot. The aways i've done havent sent out invites yet, and people keep telling me not to panic, but come-on, WAY easier said than done.

What's the best backup strategy and when should it be implemented?

I'm thinking apply to pre-lim, consider a year off after that for research if still no match. Some are saying delay graduation if still nothing by Feb and do research and enter the match next year? Confusing to say the least.

How important are pre-interview dinners? If I schedule two interviews back to back there is no way I can make it to the dinner of the second school. I would really like to make it to every dinner possible but it doesn't seem likely at this point. Will programs see it as a sign that you are not serious about the program if you can't make it to the dinner?

My n = 1 is that I matched at the place I didn't go to the dinner. I made sure to let them know it was because I had a TY interview and wasn't able to make it. I'd definitely try to make it to all of them as you get more of a chance to learn about the program but if you can't make it they will likely understand (but I obviously can't guarantee).

So I am getting a little desperate given that I have not heard anything from programs. I would like to get some thoughts/advice from the forum. I know a very influential person in rad-onc, don't really have much contact with this person, haven't worked with them in a professional setting either. I never really thought about this contact until recently when the desperation set in. Would it be distasteful to contact them and ask them to help my case/get a position?

So I am getting a little desperate given that I have not heard anything from programs. I would like to get some thoughts/advice from the forum. I know a very influential person in rad-onc, don't really have much contact with this person, haven't worked with them in a professional setting either. I never really thought about this contact until recently when the desperation set in. Would it be distasteful to contact them and ask them to help my case/get a position?
In my (very limited) experience with rad onc attendings, I have found them generally approachable and very willing to help. But: I would never ask anyone, in any field, no matter how approachable, to help me in a professional area unless they knew me professionally. That being said, I don't think it would be wrong to contact this individual and ask for advice on what to do in your current predicament (e.g. should you wait longer? seek out back-up positions? etc. etc.) Who knows, he/she might even offer to help! But unless he does, don't ask.

In my (very limited) experience with rad onc attendings, I have found them generally approachable and very willing to help. But: I would never ask anyone, in any field, no matter how approachable, to help me in a professional area unless they knew me professionally. That being said, I don't think it would be wrong to contact this individual and ask for advice on what to do in your current predicament (e.g. should you wait longer? seek out back-up positions? etc. etc.) Who knows, he/she might even offer to help! But unless he does, don't ask.

Out of curiosity, why do you think I should not ask for help from this person? I know quite a few people who have gotten a "hook up" into residency. I don't know, I guess I personally feel that the worst they could say is no. :(
But I appreciate your thoughts.

Hey I have MCW 12/14 and I'd like to switch to 1/4. You can e-mail me
if that works for you.

Last edited:
Well, in your original question you specifically asked if it would be "distasteful" to ask for help with a position, and my answer pertained specifically to "tastefulness" - and I do think it is distasteful to ask someone for a LOR/position if they don't know you professionally - I would only be comfortable with writing a LOR for someone or letting them get ahead in line if I knew that they are a superior candidate (and not just a nice, pleasant, well-mannered individual, which is all I could glean from a non-work encounter). Such a request would place me in an unpleasant situation - do I tell the guy to bug off? but I don't want to have a reputation of a an ass! do I admit him to my program? but on what grounds? I will be overriding a decision the review committee has already made regarding the application - which is fine to do if I have info regarding the applicant's professional merit that is missing from the application --- Do people ask for favors they shouldn't (and succeed?) probably all the time? Is it "tasteful" and ethical? No! Should we care?..

Asking for help (rather than a position), or for opinion on your application, is absolutely fine, however - and leaves your acquaintance with an opportunity to offer you as much or as little support as he wishes (including giving you the job right on the spot, if he has the power to do this). :)

Out of curiosity, why do you think I should not ask for help from this person? I know quite a few people who have gotten a "hook up" into residency. I don't know, I guess I personally feel that the worst they could say is no. :(
But I appreciate your thoughts.

Hello,

I am looking for someone to possibly switch interview dates with me at Louisville. I currently have Jan 13. but my home program is interviewing that day and I would like to switch if anyone is interested? Please let me know.

According to the my Duke rejection email they got 230 applications this year! :eek::eek::eek:

Hopefully a lot of those are FMG and IMG students, or else this could be a really rough year.

Hello,

I am looking for someone to possibly switch interview dates with me at Louisville. I currently have Jan 13. but my home program is interviewing that day and I would like to switch if anyone is interested? Please let me know.

Any insider info as to when your home program might be sending invites sam? Seems like a bunch of programs are Jan 13th and it is getting difficult to keep that date open. But I am really interested in a few of the programs that offer that date, which might be your home program.:)

Only 3 interviews , none in my target city, including where I did an away rotation. Is there a wave of second interview invites coming from programs already posted? Is there a date after which I should stop hoping for more invites?

Hi,

Can someone swap:
an Arizona interview on January 9 for my December 5?
a MCW interview on January 16 for my January 4?

Otherwise, can you compare/contrast the following programs?
MCW v. UPMC
Loyola v. Arizona

Looking over the impressions thread, it appears as if MCW > UPMC and I couldn't quite make a verdict between Loyola and Arizona (might boil down to whether I prefer a suburb of Chicago vs. sunny Tucson). But a lot of the posts were a few years old.

Thanks, good luck to all the applicants. Excited to start meeting some of you on the trail :)

ps- long time creeper, first time poster!

Sam problem like many other date conflicts. If some one is intresting in sawping dates with me for tufts intreview. I have Jan 6th and I would like to swap for any of th other 2 possible dates for Tufts. I only have 7 intreviews and lossing 1 hurts a lot:(.
If interested please tell me and thanks for the help

According to the my Duke rejection email they got 230 applications this year! :eek::eek::eek:

Hopefully a lot of those are FMG and IMG students, or else this could be a really rough year.

Ok, so I'm an MS3 planning on applying next year and that is terrifying.........

Ok, so I'm an MS3 planning on applying next year and that is terrifying.........

Don't stress yourself out yet. Having said that do make your application strong (defense mechanism of sublimation). I think the secret is out about radiation oncology and the number of strong applicants is only going to increase.

Don't stress yourself out yet. Having said that do make your application strong (defense mechanism of sublimation). I think the secret is out about radiation oncology and the number of strong applicants is only going to increase.

Thanks for the encouragement! I think I'll be a reasonably strong applicant (albeit not a PhD), but I come from a school with absolutely no name recognition and no home rad onc program. Also, I appreciate the sublimation reference.....I'm on psych now.

Last edited:
Thanks for the encouragement! I think I'll be a reasonably strong applicant (albeit, not a PhD), but I come from a school with absolutely no name recognition and no home rad onc program. Also, I appreciate the sublimation reference.....I'm on psych now.

I agree with the above post, but strong is relative in this specialty. Everyone is really strong and I have really come to realize how true this is. Like above, it seems that the quality and quantity of applicants has continued to increase, as expected but it makes things tough. Also, coming from a place with no home program will definitely be tough, so plan your externships accordingly in order to get get strong letters. Best of luck! :)

Hi, is anyone interested switching either of the following interview dates with me:

Rush University: I have 12/9, looking to switch for 12/16

Cal Pacific: I have 12/9, looking to switch for 1/20 or 1/27

Please PM me if you can - thanks!

So, in UChicago's invite, they mentioned they got 245 applicants. In 2011 there were 211 total applicants. I think that's a significant finding (p<0.05).

This is interesting and could indicate either that programs will invite more applicants anthus the magin number increases from 9 applications (2011 NRMP) or if programs are giving the same number of intreviews then the intreview spots will be divided into more applicants for example rather than having 211 applications to pick from to give 25 intreviews programs have 30 more applicants and thus with the exception of the super elite top 40 aplicants the rest will end up with fewer intreviews and the number of intreviews you need to match will probaly stay the same.
I am not sure if that make sense to any one including myself:confused:

After thinking more about this along with my previous post about the number of Duke invites, I don't think you can really say anything about the number of people applying. The charting the outcomes number of 211 is based on the Preferred Specialty and not the total number of applicants. Certainly, there will be applicants who do not get any interviews at all. These applicants will be included in the University of Chicago and Duke figures, but not in the Charting the Outcomes figure. The other issue is how many people apply everywhere, or at least to Chicago and Duke.

These factors make comparing the total number of applicants from these two data sets impossible. You could compare Chicago last year to Chicago this year, but that still would not be an absolute number because not everyone might have applied there.

Anyone happen to know if MSKCC and MDACC give out all of their interviews at once, or might they dish out a few more?

At least last year, MSKCC gave out all their invites within 1-2 days. MDACC gives out all their invites on the same day I believe...

Ooof, rough day. Cleveland Clinic, Sloan, and UChicago rejections all in one day. What does it take to interview at the big name places? I thought I had a pretty solid app, but apparently not.