2011-2012 Medical University of South Carolina Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone ever hear anything from Wanda regarding scholarships? I don't want to harass her if it's not necessary...

I heard that the "recruitment" or major scholarships have been given out. :(

Members don't see this ad.

does anyone know what the chances are once you make it to the waiting list? is it a big list?

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know what the chances are once you make it to the waiting list? is it a big list?

from what I saw in previous application year threads, it looks like you have some hope of admission if you are on the wait list. Have you already been informed that you are on the wait list?

Last edited:
I have a question for a current student about the computer requirements. I have heard we will be taking our tests on our personal laptops but I don't understand why we would need a laptop to meet the technical requirements they set. Is this really even an issue with laptops most students brought with them?

I have a question for a current student about the computer requirements. I have heard we will be taking our tests on our personal laptops but I don't understand why we would need a laptop to meet the technical requirements they set. Is this really even an issue with laptops most students brought with them?

I have a few friends currently at MUSC and, from what I understand, the technical requirements are more like guidelines of what to buy if you're getting a new computer.

The most important thing is to make sure to have the OS they require. You have to be sure that you can connect to their Wi-Fi. Snow Leopard or above is required for Mac; Vista or above for PC. If you have 2 GB of RAM instead of 4 GB (as they recommend), it wouldn't make any difference. Hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well that's disappointing. Guess you have to have insane stats to get any money, then.

Yep, or know someone. Also, early decision folks are less likely to get money too (I mean, why would they give you money if you can only come there).

The only people I know who got money had crazy stats and had multiple offers with money from different schools basically competing to get the people to MUSC. We'll put it this way, my stats were pretty good and my wife was unemployed so we were subsisting on loans only and we didn't qualify for the "need-based" scholarships.

So are any of you accepted OOS'ers planning to go elsewhere for school?

Yea MUSC is very expensive for OOS. Graduating from medical school 200-240K in debt is pretty rough.

Yea MUSC is very expensive for OOS. Graduating from medical school 200-240K in debt is pretty rough.

Ha, that's the debt load for many in-state. MUSC is or is usually close to being the most expensive state school in the nation.

So has anyone from the March 16th interview date (who also was not accepted) received an email saying whether he or she qualifies for the wait-list?

So has anyone from the March 16th interview date (who also was not accepted) received an email saying whether he or she qualifies for the wait-list?

Interviewed on March 16th. Received an email last week saying that I'm on the alternate list. Hoping for the best, I really like MUSC and would love to end up there. :xf:

Cool, wish you luck! Did you receive that email on Friday?

+1 on the alternate list. I interviewed on 1/20 and received an email last monday. Praying for the best also!! :xf:

For those of you that got the waitlist email, are you OOS or IS? Also, did the email say you are on hold or that you are on the waitlist?

I am IS. I received the on-hold email the beginning of Feb and the alternate list email on monday of last week. A friend of mine had one of the last interviews in March and received an "on hold" letter stating the alternate list would be made that friday (3/23 i believe). I didn't receive anything friday but monday around lunch I know myself and two of my friends (instate also) got the alternate list email. Can anyone shed some light about how many people are on/get pulled from the waitlist?

Anyone know anything about work study programs at MUSC?

I asked about this during a meeting with Nora Siwarski (financial aid). She said that med students need special permission from the dean to participate in a work study. I got the impression that in order to gain permission, one need demonstrate strong performance in the classroom.

I asked about this during a meeting with Nora Siwarski (financial aid). She said that med students need special permission from the dean to participate in a work study. I got the impression that in order to gain permission, one need demonstrate strong performance in the classroom.

Only thing I have ever heard of is doing tutoring. You are not going to want to work during med school...not even a little bit. I worked EMS part time first 2 years...but didn't tell anyone...and would suggest it either.

Man I wish MUSC would update the website and information for "prospective students"....I think the class of 2015 has been there for awhile haha.

Yeah.... that's kinda bothersome. Maybe by the white coat ceremony we will have our place set in the school :thumbup:

Bump...has anyone called Wanda about receiving more information about school in August?

Here's what I know:

Orientation: August 15th-17th
White Coat Ceremony: August 18th
Classes Start: August 20th

Joan also mentioned that we will be discussing Body of Work by Christine Montross during the first week or so of classes, so there's at least one thing we can get started on...

Bump...has anyone called Wanda about receiving more information about school in August?

I want to call, but at the same time, don't want to bother her. I really think they should let us know something now that the class is finalized (except for alternate list people.)

Are you accepted out of staters definitely going to MUSC? Or are you still waiting on your financial aid packages to make a decision?

from what I saw in previous application year threads, it looks like you have some hope of admission if you are on the wait list. Have you already been informed that you are on the wait list?

Would love some advice/thoughts. #1 on the OOS wait list at MUSC. Chances of acceptance? When do people start turning down schools/When might I expect to hear? The wait is killing me softly. Good luck to all of you!

^ They told you that you were #1 on the list ? Lol, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Should hear around May 15th.

^ They told you that you were #1 on the list ? Lol, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Should hear around May 15th.

I was hoping I was in good shape:) though I'm really curious as to how many OSS students are offered admission before they start going to the alternate list. I feel like if it's a short list (~10 people) then could be possible for them alllll to say yes. Like this whole process, you never know, but I'm glad you think I've got a shot. Thank you. So you think May 15th?

MUSC is very expensive for out of state students. Odds are, if you were able to get an acceptance at MUSC out of state (tough to do), you probably got an acceptance in your home state as well. Who in their right mind would choose to spend $60k per year versus in state tuition? This is a bad time to be getting into a massive amount of debt. Therefore, the OOS waitlist likely has a good bit of movement. If you are #1 on the list, I would almost guarantee you'll get in. But who knows, this is merely speculation on my part.

Last edited:
Also, May 15th is (I think) the deadline to get any deposit money back for saving a spot in a medical school class. So most people tend to choose where they are going to school around that time. That is why the most waitlist movement occurs around then.

Any financial aid packages out and about yet?...still waiting for mine. Getting close to May 15th too...

What exactly do you mean by "financial aid package?" I got a letter today from MUSC saying I've been approved for my loans. Haven't heard anything about scholarships, unfortunately.

The letter said something about how we should be able to access WebAdvisor, but I think that might be for current students only.

What exactly do you mean by "financial aid package?" I got a letter today from MUSC saying I've been approved for my loans. Haven't heard anything about scholarships, unfortunately.

The letter said something about how we should be able to access WebAdvisor, but I think that might be for current students only.

The total cost of attendance (tuition, fees, room&board, insurance stuff, etc.), a breakdown essentially. I have no clue what I would possibly owe, and would like to see it broken down and find out which loans I qualify for.

So if you get loans covering all of that for OOS, you would be $342,000 in debt by the end of medical school? Or is the budget for your 2nd-4th covered different?

So if you get loans covering all of that for OOS, you would be $342,000 in debt by the end of medical school? Or is the budget for your 2nd-4th covered different?

2nd and 4th years are similar in cost. 3rd year is roughly $10000 more due to the longer school year (or at least that's the excuse.)

bump... has anyone heard anything about orientation etc. for our class? getting excited!

bump... has anyone heard anything about orientation etc. for our class? getting excited!

August 15 through 17 orientation, white coat ceremony August 18, and class starts August 20!

So sorry if this is redundant, I tried to look around but became impatient ;)

Does anyone know how many people MUSC usually takes from their alternate list?

Thanks and good luck to everyone still waiting!

Status
Not open for further replies.