2011-2012 New York Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for the opened ended question but for those that have interviewed here/visited the campus, how was the atmosphere? Im currently sitting on an acceptance somewhere else and Im debating whether or not to go to my interview here. The whole med school in the suburbs away from any university thing sounds so strange to me. The cost of flights booking so late along with the timing the week before finals makes it a tough call. Any advice/opinions really help. Thanks

The atmosphere is nice. Students are super friendly, and the campus is gorgeous. I was also worried about it being so isolated, but it turned out to be a great place. I realized that it's probably better to be isolated in a "suburban" area for studying, but being close enough to go out to NYC if you want.

definitely go, you might get a scholarship (I have no idea how it works) so don't let the opportunity pass.

Members don't see this ad.

I got 29 on my exam, with PS and BS higher than 10 and VR 6. Do you think I have a chance to be admitted to NYMC?

With a 29, yes, it would be possible, particularily if you have a solid GPA. With a 6 on VR, it's pretty unlikely (in fact, it's probably unlikely you will get into any American allopathic school with a 6 on VR). You should really work to improve that score because it sounds like you have strong science scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
With a 29, yes, it would be possible, particularily if you have a solid GPA. With a 6 on VR, it's pretty unlikely (in fact, it's probably unlikely you will get into any American allopathic school with a 6 on VR). You should really work to improve that score because it sounds like you have strong science scores.
Thank you for advice!

:thumbup: Did you try using the contact # in the email...its the Hampton Hotel... :laugh:

:laugh: yes i did. it was so funny.
Are you for sure going here now? im trying to decide btw here and NJMS. I was dead set on NJMS but with this scholarship offer im thinking otherwise.

Sorry for the opened ended question but for those that have interviewed here/visited the campus, how was the atmosphere? Im currently sitting on an acceptance somewhere else and Im debating whether or not to go to my interview here. The whole med school in the suburbs away from any university thing sounds so strange to me. The cost of flights booking so late along with the timing the week before finals makes it a tough call. Any advice/opinions really help. Thanks

It may not be part of, or on the campus of, a large university but NYMC is it's own college and does have other programs there so it's not like some schools that are truly detached and on their own somewhere. There are MPH, MS, PhD, PT, and speech pathology programs, so there are other students. Then right on campus is Westchester Medical Center, our academic hospital, and some other departments attached to it, such as the Behavioral Health Center and a children's hospital.

It doesn't seem too different than the experiences of my friends at other medical schools, just because you're busy and will be mostly interacting with your fellow classmates and your books/notes. It is also nice to be in a quiet area, and if you want to escape the bubble, Tarrytown, Pleasantville, or White Plains are all a short drive away; and you can escape to NYC via MetroNorth in 45 minutes. I enjoy having our little med school bubble, and then having places to escape to either for leisure or even studying in a different environment. Anecdotally, based on stories from friends, the only places that seemed "university" like and you can take part in big university activities are those at Ivy League campuses.

The NYMC population is only about half med students. There are two other schools within NYMC that have their own doctoral and masters programs. It's actually a "health sciences university."

Many med schools are cut off from the undergrad campus in one way or another, either in its own med center campus (NYU Med), another part of the city (Columbia Med for sure) or the other side of the state (Cornell is waaaaaaaaaay upstate, while their med school is in NYC).

If you're in town for an interview and you have the time, I'd suggest checking out Tarrytown (closest) and/or White Plains (biggest). Those are the de facto college towns for NYMC.

Last edited:
has anyone also received ZERO feedback from NYMC since submitting the secondary? i was complete on 8/2/2011 and haven't heard a peep. i don't particularly care if i got in or not, but it's disappointing to see how unprofessional and discourteous a school can be. i mean after all, applicants do pay a pretty penny to hear back from their prospective schools =/

has anyone also received ZERO feedback from NYMC since submitting the secondary? i was complete on 8/2/2011 and haven't heard a peep. i don't particularly care if i got in or not, but it's disappointing to see how unprofessional and discourteous a school can be. i mean after all, applicants do pay a pretty penny to hear back from their prospective schools =/

I agree it sucks and it could be done in a better way, but this isn't the only school that does that.

Hi, I have a question about waitlisted applicants. When should we hear back about acceptances? (after May 15th?) And does anyone know what percentage of the entering class comes from the waitlisted group?

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I received an interview invite completely out of the blue about a week ago. Turned it down today as I have acceptances to other schools I'd prefer to go to...

So they're still giving out interviews. Good luck everyone! Hope someone deserving gets my interview.

How long after you guys sent in a deposit did they email you saying they received it? I sent mine in last Monday and haven't gotten a confirmation, should I call them tomorrow or just wait a little longer?

How long after you guys sent in a deposit did they email you saying they received it? I sent mine in last Monday and haven't gotten a confirmation, should I call them tomorrow or just wait a little longer?

General consensus is that you don't receive a confirmation. I would just call and ask.

Hey all

I have a question. Why do some schools prefer students from Cali over students from other states? I just saw some figure that from 1992 to 2010, there were on average 107 California students at NYMC and 30 at Albany. Why is that?

I interviewed here and I was extremely impressed. the interview made this school my top choice everyone is very supportive. The students seem happy and the facilities are great! can't wait to hear back from this school. my stats are 3.66 gpa and 29 mcat. the waits going to be nerve wrecking.

Anyone signing up for big-sib lil-sib? Seems like a great program and I'm impressed they reached out to us so early!

Anyone signing up for big-sib lil-sib? Seems like a great program and I'm impressed they reached out to us so early!

I agree! I just emailed them, and they asked me some basic information so that they could pair me with someone. Definitely a good way to decide on schools if you're on the fence.

Hey all

I have a question. Why do some schools prefer students from Cali over students from other states? I just saw some figure that from 1992 to 2010, there were on average 107 California students at NYMC and 30 at Albany. Why is that?

I think it is the other way around: california residents face the toughest instate situation in the country, and they apply broadly and nationwide. CA residents end up in lots of schools outside of their home state.

cali is very competitive with many high quality applicants. i doubt that they're picking cali students from some kind of bias

Hi, I have a question about waitlisted applicants. When should we hear back about acceptances? (after May 15th?) And does anyone know what percentage of the entering class comes from the waitlisted group?

Thanks! :)

I've heard from several sources that they fill about half their class (about 80 people) from the wait list.

Can any current students comment on the exam schedule at NYMC? I was also wondering if any more scholarships would be sent out.

Can any current students comment on the exam schedule at NYMC? I was also wondering if any more scholarships would be sent out.

Block I: Anatomy & Histology alternate; one week one and the next the other, each one a month apart, so an exam every two weeks, until the last round of exams they are back-to-back.

Block II: Biochem & physio taken on consecutive days, each 4-6 weeks apart

Block III: Neuro & Behavioral similar to block I, but exams closer together

2nd year: one big exam day every 6 or so weeks I believe.... a second year can correct that.

Block I: Anatomy & Histology alternate; one week one and the next the other, each one a month apart, so an exam every two weeks, until the last round of exams they are back-to-back.

Block II: Biochem & physio taken on consecutive days, each 4-6 weeks apart

Block III: Neuro & Behavioral similar to block I, but exams closer together

2nd year: one big exam day every 6 or so weeks I believe.... a second year can correct that.

Thank you for the help!

I just received an acceptance email from NYMC.....i'm still very dazed.

waitlisted, interviewed 3/5
but i'm not staying on the WL anyway.
good luck to everyone else!

Did anyone that was accepted very early in the application cycle receive any scholarship?

Just got the waitlist e-mail. I am most likely withdrawing. Good Luck to everyone else! NYMC is an awesome school!

Last edited:
waitlisted, interviewed 3/5
but i'm not staying on the WL anyway.
good luck to everyone else!

Sorry about that, but it sounds like you've been accepted somewhere else so congratulations I guess :)

Accepted, and going :) So excited. Actually my first choice, even though I have another acceptance and other wait lists

Accepted today! Interviewed late March.

Question: the email stated that I should respond whether I accept the offer. If I reply yes, does that mean that I am committing to them? Is there any harm in waiting until May 15th?

Sorry if this is a noob question.

I do not believe it commits--there's no way a vague reply would, I'd think. I think its so they don't waste paper, or maybe just want quick ideas of who immediately is intending on dropping so they can accept more people, even the same week.

The answer is no, you are not committing by replying to their e-mail. Once you receive the acceptance packet in the mail, you will have to sign your formal notice of intent, and you'll have to mail in $100 as well. However, it obviously takes time to get that in the mail, have you sign it, and send it back to be processed. That's why they want you to respond to the e-mail now. You have until May 15 to make your decision to fully commit to the school (you fully commit by not withdrawing your application before May 15, essentially), and you can get a full refund if you withdraw before May 15. Even if you do fully commit to the school, you can still withdraw your yourself from the school after May 15, but you lose the $100.

If you don't mind my asking, when did you guys interview?

I submitted my primary in June, waited until November to submit my secondary (almost didnt but glad I did) and interviewed on March 7th.

are they still giving out interviews?

Withdrew my acceptance today. Hope my spot goes to someone on the waitlist. Good luck!

Can any current students tell me what a typical daily class schedule is like? Do they record lectures for you? Also, how many students participate in research between first and second year? Thanks in advance!

Accepted 4/16 via email! Interviewed 3/20. Booyeah!

Can any current students tell me what a typical daily class schedule is like? Do they record lectures for you? Also, how many students participate in research between first and second year? Thanks in advance!

Example MS-1 schedule

Some lectures are recorded, others aren't. It is professor/department dependent. Clinical lectures aren't recorded due to HIPAA concerns. We use Camtasia which is a program that records audio and the powerpoint presentation (or whatever is on the computer screen). We have a scribe service though that is student run, and you pay into, and you have access to scribes of every lecture and booklets of old exams.

I don't know actual numbers, but based on conversations it seems like half of the student body does research or some sort of clinical service trip during the summer between first and second year, either through external programs or via our school's summer research fellowship program (but the school tells you they'd rather have you do something external, and to use the summer program as a backup... I don't know why, since some of the projects here seemed really cool and I wanted to do something different with a lot of independence which is why I'm staying here).

Status
Not open for further replies.