2011-2012 Oregon Health & Sciences University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have still yet to receive my secondary....2 months later?

Same here :confused:...one of the last few I need to do to be done too

Members don't see this ad.

Just received a secondary. Submitted primary on 7/17. I did however send them an email inquiring this morning and received the secondary in the afternoon. I'm not sure if the email expedited the process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received a secondary. Submitted primary on 7/17. I did however send them an email inquiring this morning and received the secondary in the afternoon. I'm not sure if the email expedited the process.
It probably did, because I've been waiting for this one since June 23 :smuggrin:

Oh, no doubt. It's just that I'd rather have sent it in last week and potentially be in line for early interview dates than wait 'til early/mid August.

Understandable. I just like to remind myself that OHSU isn't rolling so an early interview isn't much different than a late interview except being happy you get one and getting it done early. :)

anybody know if Oregon has specific residency requirements, like most state schools? The med school guide book I was using said they don't, I think.

I haven't received a secondary from them yet, either. I made the mistake of applying to UW and they were at least kind enough to inform me that I did not meet the residency requirement. I wonder if Oregon will do the same or just leave me hanging...

anybody know if Oregon has specific residency requirements, like most state schools? The med school guide book I was using said they don't, I think.

I haven't received a secondary from them yet, either. I made the mistake of applying to UW and they were at least kind enough to inform me that I did not meet the residency requirement. I wonder if Oregon will do the same or just leave me hanging...

This is from the Admissions Requirements on the secondary application:

Please be aware that the School of Medicine gives preference to the following applicants:
  • Residents of Oregon.
  • WICHE-certified residents of Montana and Wyoming.
  • Applicants applying to the M.D./Ph.D. and M.D./M.P.H. Combined Degree Programs.
  • Non-resident applicants with superior achievements in academics and other related experiences. For the 2012 cycle, superior academics is defined as a cumulative Total GPA, as reported by AMCAS, of 3.65 or higher and a cumulative score of 32 or higher on the most recent eligible MCAT.
  • The School of Medicine Admissions Committee fully recognizes the importance of diversity in its student body and in the physician workforce in providing for effective delivery of health care. Accordingly, the OHSU School of Medicine strongly encourages applications from persons from all socioeconomic, racial, ethnic, religious, and educational backgrounds and from persons from groups underrepresented in medicine.
The Committee adheres to a policy of equal opportunity and non-discrimination on the basis of sex, age, race, ethnic origin, religion, disability, military service, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by law.

Hope this helps.

at least they're not restrictive like some places, just "preferential"
I guess they're trying to decide if I have "superior achievements". Funsies.
Guess I'll just get my other secondaries out of the way in good time before theirs comes.

Well, I don't know how registration works at your undergrad, but for me I would be able to register for a Spring quarter course as late as March of next year.

This is a good point.

So: Don't withdraw your app. Send an update letter saying that you're planning to take these courses in the Spring (or Spring and Summer, or whatever).

If you get an interview and you feel good about getting an acceptance, and you think you'd go to OHSU over other schools, then you actually have to take these classes to go to OHSU.

If you don't get an interview at OHSU, or don't think you'll get an acceptance, or don't think you'd take an acceptance over other schools, you don't have to make good on your promise to take the classes.

But don't withdraw your application!

Hmm. Well, I just graduated so it's not like I can sign up for the courses for my spring semester. I think I will go ahead with the application/secondary, and if it happens to be that I find out really late that OHSU is the only school that accepted me, by golly I'll find a way to finish the two prereqs. By the way, I got a call back from admissions, and obviously, genetics and biochem are required for matriculation, not for applying. So, onward with the applications!

couple questions: 1) are you in or out of state? 2) did amcas finish processing your app before you got ohsu's secondary? 3) is this your first time applying or are you a re-applicant to ohsu. those answers may also explain how you got a secondary so fast.

couple questions: 1) are you in or out of state? 2) did amcas finish processing your app before you got ohsu's secondary? 3) is this your first time applying or are you a re-applicant to ohsu. those answers may also explain how you got a secondary so fast.

Im an OOS MD/PhD first time applicant. Everything was processed before I even sent OHSU my primary. If it at all helps, the secondary does state that they are sending them out in batches with a ~1month deadline attached. Im assuming that means that once one batch has submitted their secondary OHSU sends out another batch. Hope this helps and good luck!

at least they're not restrictive like some places, just "preferential"
I guess they're trying to decide if I have "superior achievements". Funsies.
Guess I'll just get my other secondaries out of the way in good time before theirs comes.

Missorleans, OHSU does not screen primary applications before sending out secondaries. This means they don't discriminate against in state, out of state, bad grades, good grades, animal, vegetable, or mineral. Everyone gets a secondary regardless.

Doesn't mean the timing won't be different for different applicants but no real reason for it. They may make different people wait for interview dates based on the quality of their application. That's where the real stress starts.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is from the Admissions Requirements on the secondary application:

Please be aware that the School of Medicine gives preference to the following applicants:
  • Residents of Oregon.
  • WICHE-certified residents of Montana and Wyoming.
  • Applicants applying to the M.D./Ph.D. and M.D./M.P.H. Combined Degree Programs.
  • Non-resident applicants with superior achievements in academics and other related experiences. For the 2012 cycle, superior academics is defined as a cumulative Total GPA, as reported by AMCAS, of 3.65 or higher and a cumulative score of 32 or higher on the most recent eligible MCAT.
  • The School of Medicine Admissions Committee fully recognizes the importance of diversity in its student body and in the physician workforce in providing for effective delivery of health care. Accordingly, the OHSU School of Medicine strongly encourages applications from persons from all socioeconomic, racial, ethnic, religious, and educational backgrounds and from persons from groups underrepresented in medicine.
The Committee adheres to a policy of equal opportunity and non-discrimination on the basis of sex, age, race, ethnic origin, religion, disability, military service, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by law.

Hope this helps.

Im OOS and don't know if I should submit my secondary or not bc I am waiting for my MCAT scores - seems like I need at least a 32! My GPA is fine and my research/volunteer experience. But as far as the MCAT no sure I will be "superior"!

any advice?

Im OOS and don't know if I should submit my secondary or not bc I am waiting for my MCAT scores - seems like I need at least a 32! My GPA is fine and my research/volunteer experience. But as far as the MCAT no sure I will be "superior"!

any advice?

you'll never know unless you try. The question is, how much is it worth to you? consider the application fee and how much it might cost should you get an interview.

any advice?

Keep in mind, Oregon does not utilize rolling admissions, so waiting for your MCAT score will not put you behind.

Keep in mind, Oregon does not utilize rolling admissions, so waiting for your MCAT score will not put you behind.

Thanks everyone! I will probably just submit! I really like OHSU! and have other things on my app that i think are unique. so i will try!

any advice?

Just know that <32 is a rejection. No matter if your GPA is way above the 3.65 or you have great ECs. That was my situation last year, and I called, they told me that they don't make exceptions.

Just know that <32 is a rejection. No matter if your GPA is way above the 3.65 or you have great ECs. That was my situation last year, and I called, they told me that they don't make exceptions.

Does this apply to GPA, too? :(

Not entirely true, as I got in with less this year.

Not entirely true, as I got in with less this year.

Is it possible that gbmd15 is talking out of state and Shazzbot is talking in state?

Not that I know of

Hmm you must have fit in some other group that they have listed as the mission groups. The 5th one is kind of vague, so maybe it was that one?
  • Residents of Oregon.
  • WICHE-Certified residents of Montana and Wyoming.
  • Non-resident applicants with a GPA of 3.65 or higher and a cumulative score of 32 or higher on the most-recent eligible MCAT.

If you look back at last year's thread and the one before, there are a whole slew of rejected OOS applicants around December who didn't meet the GPA/MCAT criteria. In their letter to me (actual snail mail response letter, haha) they said that IF they do not get enough qualified applicants from their 5 groups, they will dig into "the others" but that hasn't happened in the last 8 or so years.

But if you love OHSU, go for it!

Last edited:
Hmm you must have fit in some other group that they have listed as the mission groups. The 5th one is kind of vague, so maybe it was that one?
  • Residents of Oregon.
  • WICHE-Certified residents of Montana and Wyoming.
  • Non-resident applicants with a GPA of 3.65 or higher and a cumulative score of 32 or higher on the most-recent eligible MCAT.

If you look back at last year's thread and the one before, there are a whole slew of rejected OOS applicants around December who didn't meet the GPA/MCAT criteria. In their letter to me (actual snail mail response letter, haha) they said that IF they do not get enough qualified applicants from their 5 groups, they will dig into "the others" but that hasn't happened in the last 8 or so years.

But if you love OHSU, go for it! I am re-applying this year as MD/MPH so that I fit into a "box" for them to look at me.

I feel like with this process- you get a different answer depending on who answers the phone. I got my PhD at OHSU, and I really liked it there, so I will try anyway.

Missorleans, OHSU does not screen primary applications before sending out secondaries. This means they don't discriminate against in state, out of state, bad grades, good grades, animal, vegetable, or mineral. Everyone gets a secondary regardless.

OHSU does have a very broad screen for a secondary application (or at least they did for my application year and the one after). When I applied, the cutoff for receiving a secondary was set at something really low, like >2.0 GPA, >23 MCAT.

This probably doesn't mean anything to 99% of the SDN crowd, but I just thought I would throw it out there.

But they do in a way... They accept some right after the interview, they just don't reject anyone until later. When I applied last time, they says that essentially they have a cutoff for admissions that at the begging is set high but as the process moves forward, it gets lower.

But they do in a way... They accept some right after the interview, they just don't reject anyone until later. When I applied last time, they says that essentially they have a cutoff for admissions that at the begging is set high but as the process moves forward, it gets lower.

They actually have 3 categories following the interview. People are either automatically accepted, automatically rejected, or placed on hold. So they do reject people directly after their interview. They don't accept many people directly after interviewing and place the majority of people on hold. Then throughout the process they start accepting more people depending on their scores because everyone gets a score following their interview which doesn't change regardless of updates. So lets say your score is 85 and they only automatically accept people with a score of 90 or above. Then you would get placed on hold. And the farther the application process continues, the lower they will drop the scores. So they could drop it to 88 and then all those people are accepted. And so on. Does that make sense?

They actually have 3 categories following the interview. People are either automatically accepted, automatically rejected, or placed on hold. So they do reject people directly after their interview...

Here's a flow chart I made last year that combines facts with SDN myths, legend, and guesswork.

Slide1.jpg

I hope this explains the process that OHSU has used in the past.

One note: With MMI's in the pipeline, who knows if other changes might be made.

Edit: Note that the graphic was even done using OHSU colors. That makes it officially one of the nerdiest things I have ever done in a long life of nerdy doings.

1. hopefuldoc: :bow:
2. everybody: Out of 24 med schools, 23 have gotten secondaries to me. Except for one. This one. My home state school! Anyway, should I give up, or is OHSU generally slow with the secondary?

Signifier said:
Out of 24 med schools, 23 have gotten secondaries to me. Except for one. This one. My home state school! Anyway, should I give up, or is OHSU generally slow with the secondary?

15/16 for me, likewise IS, and yes it is annoying, but no you definitely shouldn't give up. You'll get the secondary... eventually.

Anyway, should I give up, or is OHSU generally slow with the secondary?

I absolutely suggest giving up hope. Not because your chances are poor, or because the secondary will never come...but because when I applied, giving up all hope of OHSU always prompted them to contact me the next day with a secondary/invite/etc.

It's almost like the admissions building has a desperation and hopelessness beacon. Either that or they have a borderline-creepy understanding of how long it will take each applicant to doubt the strength of his or her application (probably based on personality type).

But honestly, the process here is super slow. Don't let that get to you too much.

15/16 for me, likewise IS, and yes it is annoying, but no you definitely shouldn't give up. You'll get the secondary... eventually.

Im in the same boat. But - I went to grad school at the school of medicine - and they are kind of slow at things.

AND i agree w URHere! Bc the second I gave up on hearing from them for grad school, I got accepted!

good luck. i might email them about the secondary to see if i can get it - im going out of town since with limited email so i wanted to finish these before i left!

i called the admissions office today because they weren't responding to my emails about the secondaries and the lady told me not to worry if i haven't gotten the secondary yet because they're just sending them out in batches. i didn't ask what determines which batch you end up in but she was very "don't worry about it at all" so i guess we just hang in there! it's coming!

for the people that have gotten the secondaries, would you guys mind posting what the essay questions are? thanks!

i called the admissions office today because they weren't responding to my emails about the secondaries and the lady told me not to worry if i haven't gotten the secondary yet because they're just sending them out in batches. i didn't ask what determines which batch you end up in but she was very "don't worry about it at all" so i guess we just hang in there! it's coming!

for the people that have gotten the secondaries, would you guys mind posting what the essay questions are? thanks!

Look at the first post Member 12345

Hey guys,

I was hoping for a little guidance on the secondary. I am having a really difficult time thinking of when personal feedback was hard for me to receive. I've never had any negative feedback from managers or co-workers. Well, I guess there was that one time I was told to socialize more with other departments, but that wasn't exactly hard to swallow.

I can't even think of any feedback from friends or family. Ok, well my mom told me I was very average looking (ha ha?) and that was difficult to hear. Not because of what I think about my looks, but because whose mother actually says that? (My mom is a typical crazy Asian mom). And this example seems completely inappropriate to discuss in a med school application.

Halp? Ideas?

Hey guys,

I was hoping for a little guidance on the secondary. I am having a really difficult time thinking of when personal feedback was hard for me to receive. I've never had any negative feedback from managers or co-workers. Well, I guess there was that one time I was told to socialize more with other departments, but that wasn't exactly hard to swallow.

I can't even think of any feedback from friends or family. Ok, well my mom told me I was very average looking (ha ha?) and that was difficult to hear. Not because of what I think about my looks, but because whose mother actually says that? (My mom is a typical crazy Asian mom). And this example seems completely inappropriate to discuss in a med school application.

Halp? Ideas?

Asking help from the competition? You know your life best, it's kinda hard for people who have no clue who you are to help.

Asking help from the competition? You know your life best, it's kinda hard for people who have no clue who you are to help.

I thought it would be ok to ask for help, as I have seen people do this in other threads.

Also, it isn't a competition.

I thought it would be ok to ask for help, as I have seen people do this in other threads.

Also, it isn't a competition.

Coco, it's ok to ask for help but I'm having a hard time believe you've never been criticized in your life. I'm sure this doesn't have to be a tongue lashing that left you in tears. They just want to know that you're able to handle set backs and criticism in a healthy and constructive way and that you're not the kind of person who has to believe that everything you touch turns to gold.

So dig real deep and think about some time someone didn't approve of work which you had invested a lot of time and effort into. Think about how you dealt with the disappointment of disappointing and how you moved forward. If you REALLY can't think of ANYTHING you've been critisized for then I still don't believe you but you should probably just make up a scenario which you think reflects your ability to handle criticism and failure. Butttttt... I'm willing to bet you have some true stories tucked away in there.

Still no love from OHSU. Has anyone received a secondary recently?

Not here--and given that I submitted back on June 3rd it's way past the 6 weeks + 2-4 additional posted on the website. I'll just keep polishing the essays, I guess. :)

I am in state applicant.

I submitted primary 7/6/11. Verified 8/4/11. Received secondary 8/10/11. Secondary deadline 9/16/11 (will probably submit early next week).

When did you submit primary and get verified?

dsoz

Last edited:

Hi, what exactly is their email address? Thanks!

I am in state applicant.

I submitted primary 7/6/11. Verified 8/4/11. Received secondary 8/10/11. Secondary deadline 9/16/11 (will probably submit early next week).

When did you submit primary and get verified?

dsoz
I was verified on 7/11. I submitted the first week in June but had a transcript problem that took way too long to be resolved.

I was verified 6/1, OOS applicant, also haven't received the secondary yet. I don't think they have sent very many out.

There is a status check page here, if you're curious. It does note whether they've emailed you the secondary yet or not.

Some official data that might be of interest:

OHSU School of Medicine
2011 Entering Class

Students 128
Female 57​
Male 71​

Race/Ethnicity*
Amer. Indian or Alaskan Native 1
Asian or Asian Indian 21
Mexican, Mexican American/Chicano/Chicana 4
Other Pacific Islander 2
White 104
No Response 4
*Students may select more than one category, so the sum
of all categories is greater than the number of students in
the class.

Highest Degree at Entry
Baccalaureate 115
Masters 12
Doctorate 1​

Residence
Oregon 97
MD 95
MD/MPH 2​
Non-Resident 31
MD 21
MD/MPH 4
MD/PhD 3
WICHE 3​

Academic Profile
Age (Mean) 26
GPA (Mean)
Total 3.62
Science 3.57​
MCAT (Mean)
VR 10.0
PS 10.2
BS 11.0
WS (Median) P​

Previous Applicants 48

They were surprised by the high number of males, but it probably doesn't mean anything... Since many students were admitted off a waitlist, it's entirely possible, theoretically, that lots of females just passed on the offer to attend OHSU.

The class size is 128 students. This is an increase from last year, and is consistent with a trend from years past. I can't say whether the next incoming class (i.e., the people applying this year) will be any bigger, but one of the upper administrators said that the 2014 incoming class is planned to admit 160 students. (Note: That prediction really doesn't mean anything for the 2012 incoming class, because 2014 is also the year when they plan to have a new building open.)

I was verified 6/1, OOS applicant, also haven't received the secondary yet. I don't think they have sent very many out.

Well, maybe. But they also state that they receive your primary "up to 6 weeks from the time you certify and submit your application to AMCAS" and get the secondary out to you within 2-4 additional weeks. It's clearly not worth obsessing about, but when things start stretching out this far past the posted dates I don't think it's unreasonable to send an email just to check.

Non-resident applicants with superior achievements in academics and other related experiences. For the 2012 cycle, superior academics is defined as a cumulative Total GPA, as reported by AMCAS, of 3.65 or higher and a cumulative score of 32 or higher on the most recent eligible MCAT.

So I've got the 3.65 with a 3.83, but I botched the MCAT and got a 30M. Am I a good candidate to apply OOS? My ECs are really strong (student body president, research, clinical volunteering, leadership) and I have strong LORs.

:xf:

So I've got the 3.65 with a 3.83, but I botched the MCAT and got a 30M. Am I a good candidate to apply OOS? My ECs are really strong (student body president, research, clinical volunteering, leadership) and I have strong LORs.

:xf:

You'll have to stack yourself against the other out of state candidates applying, aside from the 'admissions flow chart' posted above which is fairly accurate, here are few other statistics to consider as an oos. Give yourself an honest assessment, this is a very good school but I think everyone has at least a chance,

• Total applications received: 4,500+
  • Of the 4,500 applications received, approx. 9% are Oregonians, 91% are non-residents
  • Number of acceptance offers made: 210+
  • Class size: 115
  • Profile of Entering Class:
    • 70% residents of Oregon
    • Average age: 26
    • Average total GPA: 3.63
    • Average science GPA: 3.56
    • Average MCAT: 31
    • 30% are previous applicants

Status
Not open for further replies.