2011-2012 Oregon Health & Sciences University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
FYI: Last year, the waitlist reached #38 the first day, ending up somewhere around 120.
Two years ago it reached #3 the first day (and #10 by June 4th) before ending up at 32.
Three years ago it ended the first day at #5 on its way to #16 on June 18th and ended at 36.

You do the math. :)

Good luck, folks!

hah, thanks for the research:thumbup:. I see the trend, but it doesn't help with my nerves! only 21 spots away. Today was the first day I actually let my self start thinking about moving to portland. Before this, I didnt want to get my hopes up too high. :scared:

Being the super long shot that I am, I really empathize with all the people who are lower on the alternate list, and all the people who were rejected. There is always next year if this one doesnt work out. Good luck to all, I wish there was enough room for all of us..

Members don't see this ad.

Did anybody last year keep track of OHSU facebook group? Does anybody know how many people were in the group around this time last year?

Did anybody last year keep track of OHSU facebook group? Does anybody know how many people were in the group around this time last year?

No idea here, and probably no way to track that after the fact unless someone logged it at the time. (Plus there would be confounding factors like increased Facebook usage over time, etc.) The WL movement should be a reasonably good indication, though. Last year's data:

Date: WL#:
05/23 38
05/24 42
05/25 50
05/26 53
05/27 58
05/31 60
06/07 69
06/16 77
06/21 80
06/24 85
07/01 94
07/22 100
07/30 106

Members don't see this ad :)
No idea here, and probably no way to track that after the fact unless someone logged it at the time. (Plus there would be confounding factors like increased Facebook usage over time, etc.) The WL movement should be a reasonably good indication, though. Last year's data:

Date: WL#:
05/23 38
05/24 42
05/25 50
05/26 53
05/27 58
05/31 60
06/07 69
06/16 77
06/21 80
06/24 85
07/01 94
07/22 100
07/30 106

Thanks for putting this up! I think its going to be my desktop background so I can follow the trend daily! :laugh:

Any signs of waitlist life today? The portal still says 38, but just wondering if anyone has heard of any movement.

My productivity has plummeted... six spots away from starting school in August vs spending thousands reapplying. :scared:

Good luck to everyone, and congrats to those accepted!

I'm #40 and still nothing so I don't think the waitlist has started movement today. I don't think it started yesterday until around noon so we might not expect movement this early.

Any signs of waitlist life today? The portal still says 38, but just wondering if anyone has heard of any movement.

My productivity has plummeted... six spots away from starting school in August vs spending thousands reapplying. :scared:

Good luck to everyone, and congrats to those accepted!
I know the feeling exactly, four spots away myself. Hard to be productive when your constantly rushing back to the computer to check the portal/email/sdn. It is comforting to think that I cannot imagine there will be zero movement between now and when they close the waitlist. Best of luck to everyone and congrats to those accepted as well.

Actually...just received my acceptance email...waitlist is moving!!! Good luck to everyone else further on the waitlist.

Congrats to all those who recently received acceptances!! I was just curious as to how many of you, if any, were accepted into the MD/MPH program?

For those accepted off the waitlist, how long do they give you to respond with either an accept or decline?

For those accepted off the waitlist, how long do they give you to respond with either an accept or decline?

My email and portal said there was no action required from me and said an acceptance packet would be sent in the mail "within a month", which would require action. No mention of how much time once the snail mail arrives.

Members don't see this ad :)
And the wait-list number is no longer on the portal... lets see where it ends today!

My portal says 41 now. =)

By the way, congrats to jayhvvip, duckgirl24, RockMedDoc, Kiwi25, conn0r, Northwesterly, BruinTraveler, Boomerang88, and everybody else! I hope to be your guys' classmate soon.

Does anyone has information about exit interviews? I'd really like to get some face-to-face feedback on my application.

Thanks!

Does anyone has information about exit interviews? I'd really like to get some face-to-face feedback on my application.

Thanks!

You should be able to call Katy and schedule an interview after June 1st--or maybe the 5th this year since that's when the 2012-2013 cycle starts? If you call they can tell you when exit interviews start--call right away once the schedules open up and you shouldn't have to wait long.

Accepted!!! Number 42. SOOOOO EXCITED!!!!!! See you all up on the hill!:D:D:D

Congrats! Anyone else find it a little ironic that so far the first two days of acceptances have exactly matched last years numbers? Let's keep it up!
Right? I had given up hope for today figuring not only was it getting close to the end of the day but also that no way would they match last year exactly two days running. Possibly good news coming tomorrow for 43 through 50???

Anyone get accepted from the wait list and planning on going elsewhere?

Trying to get a feel for the True number of waitlisters

I dont think you will get a good sample from SDN. What I am curious about is if the first 42 people who have been given acceptances on the alternate list all actually replied to that email which was sent out.

edit: of course, my question cant be answered as well...

Last edited:
You should be able to call Katy and schedule an interview after June 1st--or maybe the 5th this year since that's when the 2012-2013 cycle starts? If you call they can tell you when exit interviews start--call right away once the schedules open up and you shouldn't have to wait long.
Thanks, Northwesterly. Congrats on your acceptance, and not needing to relocate!

I dont think you will get a good sample from SDN. What I am curious about is if the first 42 people who have been given acceptances on the alternate list all actually replied to that email which was sent out.

edit: of course, my question cant be answered as well...

Well I think there is one of two possibilities. Either everyone responded or the spots are being held for those numbers who haven't responded. If they don't respond by Friday those spots will be given to others on Monday. So Monday will tell depending on how much movement there is.

Looks like they are planning another second look day for June 11. Maybe I'll be able to make it up! Anyone else planning on going?

Well I think there is one of two possibilities. Either everyone responded or the spots are being held for those numbers who haven't responded. If they don't respond by Friday those spots will be given to others on Monday. So Monday will tell depending on how much movement there is.

:xf: for Monday than! Looking at the trend, seems like a pretty good chance, but then again, who really knows :scared:

Side note, wait-list started moving at 10:30 yesterday, nothing has happened yet today. I suppose there was no way that this years trend would have matched last years anyway though..

Last edited:
Looks like they are planning another second look day for June 11. Maybe I'll be able to make it up! Anyone else planning on going?

I have a second look day with a current student set up for the end of this month. I would like to attend a lecture though so may show up on the 11th

Yes, I'm planning on going, though I'm local so it's a 20 minute bus ride for me. :)

I was surprised they sent this to me since it is my only acceptance and I'm also local. Though I had heard they send it to all accepted students.

Congrats on the acceptance, RockMed! While I'm on the subject, congrats to all the people who got their number called within the past week! Looking forward to meeting my future classmates!

I have a final that day, but I'm hoping I can take it early and come up!!

That would be really nice for you. Can you hold two acceptances till then to use the 2nd look to help you decide? I remember in a previous post you mentioning having a hard decision to make.

IWant2StayInOR, what is the first thing you will do if you get in today?

IWant2StayInOR, what is the first thing you will do if you get in today?

Hah, probably scream for my wife to come in and make sure I am reading the number right. :D after that though, I won't know till it happens! Haven't even thought about it till now because the idea of an OHSU acceptance seemed so remote!

Rgll, how about you? What would you do?

Knowing me, I'd probably do a fist pump, mass text my family, and then start looking for cheap airfare to PDX for June 11th. :)

Oh, and also start talking to my boss about a mutually agreeable day to quit.:D

Knowing me, I'd probably do a fist pump, mass text my family, and then start looking for cheap airfare to PDX for June 11th. :)

Oh, and also start talking to my boss about a mutually agreeable day to quit.:D

june 11th is the second look day right? I know I dont need a second look to accept the offer, but I would still love to take another trip there lol..

So much for hoping for lots of movement today :(

I'd kind of expected the WL to slow down even if it ends up mirroring last year's overall movement. The first day or two, the movement on the WL should have been dependent on OHSU's pre-May 15th yield--ie, they sent out 132 offers and 38 or so declined before the 15th. Then they sent out 38 WL offers and 6 of those people declined on May 16th, 17th, and 18th. (Or maybe 3-4 of those + 2-3 from the initial acceptees who'd gotten other WL offers?)

From this point on, WL movement will be dependent on waitlist offers from other schools that currently admitted students choose to accept over OHSU. Last year, the waitlist started moving a week later, so there was more time for this trickle from around the country to have an effect by the time we got to day 4 of WL movement. Even if the WL is headed to 120 again, I wouldn't expect it to hit 60 until around May 31st, or 80 until around June 21st. (Unless every other school that poaches OHSU acceptees started their WLs earlier as well. ;))

I'd kind of expected the WL to slow down even if it ends up mirroring last year's overall movement. The first day or two, the movement on the WL should have been dependent on OHSU's pre-May 15th yield--ie, they sent out 132 offers and 38 or so declined before the 15th. Then they sent out 38 WL offers and 6 of those people declined on May 16th, 17th, and 18th. (Or maybe 3-4 of those + 2-3 from the initial acceptees who'd gotten other WL offers?)

From this point on, WL movement will be dependent on waitlist offers from other schools that currently admitted students choose to accept over OHSU. Last year, the waitlist started moving a week later, so there was more time for this trickle from around the country to have an effect by the time we got to day 4 of WL movement. Even if the WL is headed to 120 again, I wouldn't expect it to hit 60 until around May 31st, or 80 until around June 21st. (Unless every other school that poaches OHSU acceptees started their WLs earlier as well. ;))

Interesting analysis. I think you're right, It should take at least two weeks from the first day to get to number 60. At least I hope it doesnt take longer. I was at least hoping for some movement today, though I also felt it would slow down. Actually, I was hoping for a lot of movement, knowing it wouldnt move much :laugh:. kinda :scared: now though..

Debbie Melton, OHSU Director of Admissions, and Vicki Fields, Assistant Dean for Student Affairs are coming to OSU wednesday to talk to pre-meds... I feel like crashing the party and asking her whats up! I dont think that would be very polite though.. :laugh:

I can see my self raising my hand and asking them how long till the wait list gets to 60!

End of day, and no movement... oh well.. I guess i will have to find the patience to wait a couple weeks.

I definitely expected slowing of the wait list movement after the first day. I was just hoping for something since today was the first day they had removed everyone who hadn't responded. Guess everyone up to this point had responded and there were no spots being held. I was also being a little optimistic cause I noticed a couple people left the facebook group over the weekend. But that doesn't guarantee anything. Guess there is always tomorrow and the rest of the week :)

Debbie Melton, OHSU Director of Admissions, and Vicki Fields, Assistant Dean for Student Affairs are coming to OSU wednesday to talk to pre-meds... I feel like crashing the party and asking her whats up! I dont think that would be very polite though.. :laugh:

I can see my self raising my hand and asking them how long till the wait list gets to 60!

You should go. I went to it last year when Debbie came to my school (UO) and it was pretty informative. It was interesting to see the breakdown of total applicants, IS interviewed, OOS interviewed. They are very nice and stay after if you want to go up to them with questions. You could always wait till after the presentation and talk to her personally with questions you have.

Looks like another uneventful day. Maybe Lori is out of town or sick?

Status
Not open for further replies.