2011-2012 Oregon Health & Sciences University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to hear that! I haven't been around here long, but I was rooting for you... There's always next year if you haven't chosen to go somewhere else already...
Rejected everywhere else this year, already, and my MCAT score is now expired.

Members don't see this ad.

Rejected, sometime in the last 30 mins.

:(
Ridiculous, just ridiculous.
As someone who knows Dianyla in real life, I can say with some confidence that OHSU made a mistake here. That there is a lot of randomness, heartache, and disappointment in the application process is a given, but today all I can say is... damn.

Members don't see this ad :)
:(
Ridiculous, just ridiculous.
As someone who knows Dianyla in real life, I can say with some confidence that OHSU made a mistake here. That there is a lot of randomness, heartache, and disappointment in the application process is a given, but today all I can say is... damn.

As someone who also knows Dianyla in real life, I totally concur with that sentiment. I'd say it was an absolute travesty that the adcom couldn't even put Dianyla in one of the 150 or so waitlist spots. I know the competition is fierce, but I still find that hard to believe.

Rejected everywhere else this year, already, and my MCAT score is now expired.

I don't know you, and I don't even know why I'm writing this--I've just been stalking this forum because this is my top choice school---but, I just want you to know that, for what it's worth, I've been rooting so hardcore for you the last few days. Medical school admissions truly are a crapshoot. I'm sure you'll get in if you keep trying or add more schools, I wish you best of luck next year professionally and personally <3

Aww, thanks everyone. :love:

I'm going to go stuff myself full of sushi and beer and try to spend the weekend not thinking about any of this.

Dianyla - rooting for you as well. You've been a great and welcome part of this forum and I appreciate you :)

Rejected yesterday as well. Sorry for those in the same boat as me and good luck to those on the waitlist.

Did any alternates get a confirmation email after you replied to the wait list email?

Last edited:
Did anyone's portal change after receiving the alternate email, but before responding? I got the alternate list email, but no change on my portal.

Did any alternates get a confirmation email after you replied to the wait list email?

No. Maybe Monday? Or after May 15th so they can tell those who they have room for that they got in?

On another note, did anyone else notice that less than half the incoming class has joined the Facebook group? I know it's not hard core proof of anything, but at least it gives us a little hope, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can any current students comment on how easy it is to match into California? I know OHSU is very well respected in Oregon. Does it have the same reputation in CA?

On another note, did anyone else notice that less than half the incoming class has joined the Facebook group? I know it's not hard core proof of anything, but at least it gives us a little hope, right?

Seeing your post rgll about the FB group just gave me a little more hope :)! But as you said, it's just a small sample size. And I don't think all those accepted have joined the group, esp the male acceptees b/c the group has significantly more females than males (not that that is a bad thing but I think OHSU tries to keep the class 50/50 males/females or something around that ratio)

Can any current students comment on how easy it is to match into California? I know OHSU is very well respected in Oregon. Does it have the same reputation in CA?

I think it really depends upon who you're comparing this to. OHSU doesn't seem to be a big feeder for CA, but it's certainly not going to hurt you. What schools are you choosing from? If you have any IN CA, I'd go with them. If you have any that are less expensive and in the west still, they might be better options if they are more commonly attended by CA applicants (since they are likely to have more CA connections). It really depends upon what you're comparing OHSU against. Compared to somewhere on the east coast of similar stature, it'd win for CA residencies (but lose to much stronger programs out there). Compared to a private schools where many CA applicants attend and return to CA from, it may not be as strong a contender. It's also hella expensive for OOS!

#29 here. i definitely am a little nervous about the depth we get into the wait list but whatever happens happens. good luck to everyone!

#29 here. i definitely am a little nervous about the depth we get into the wait list but whatever happens happens. good luck to everyone!
Unless it goes totally sideways this year, I'd say 29 is a pretty comfy spot!

Did anyone else apply to the MD/PhD program and get placed on the alternate list? The email I received and the portal make no mention of a place on the MD alternate list although I was under the impression that you are eligible for both programs when you apply to MD/PhD.

Did anyone else apply to the MD/PhD program and get placed on the alternate list? The email I received and the portal make no mention of a place on the MD alternate list although I was under the impression that you are eligible for both programs when you apply to MD/PhD.

The email that I received said that I was still in the hold pool for the MD/PhD program, but because I qualified for another mission-based group (gpa/MCAT), I was still under consideration for the MD-only program and I was ranked on the alternate list. My application portal does not reflect any of this information. It still says "on-hold." Then again, I just barely sent in my intent to stay on the alternate list this morning.

Did you get a similar message with an alternate list ranking? If not, it could either mean that you do not qualify for another mission-based group or that you were rejected MD-only... That's just my guess, though.

Edit: actually, now my portal has regressed to "Thank you for interviewing with us. We hope you enjoyed your interview day." And the link to take the interview survey has reappeared.... that's it.

The email that I received said that I was still in the hold pool for the MD/PhD program, but because I qualified for another mission-based group (gpa/MCAT), I was still under consideration for the MD-only program and I was ranked on the alternate list. My application portal does not reflect any of this information. It still says "on-hold." Then again, I just barely sent in my intent to stay on the alternate list this morning.

Did you get a similar message with an alternate list ranking? If not, it could either mean that you do not qualify for another mission-based group or that you were rejected MD-only... That's just my guess, though.

Edit: actually, now my portal has regressed to "Thank you for interviewing with us. We hope you enjoyed your interview day." And the link to take the interview survey has reappeared.... that's it.

Did you actually receive a concrete number on the alternate list? That seems to be the main confusion for MD/PhD and MD/MPH applicants. They are told they are on the alternate list but not given and actual number.

Did you actually receive a concrete number on the alternate list? That seems to be the main confusion for MD/PhD and MD/MPH applicants. They are told they are on the alternate list but not given and actual number.

Yup. And I just checked again and realized that my on-hold status (MD/PhD) and alternate list ranking is posted above the application status timeline. Keeping my fingers crossed still... I really want to go to OHSU whether or not I'm accepted by the MD/PhD program.

I'm IS so the mission-based group doesn't apply to me the same way. I don't have an alternate number in my portal though...not sure how to read all of this.

I'm IS so the mission-based group doesn't apply to me the same way. I don't have an alternate number in my portal though...not sure how to read all of this.

Maybe there was a mistake... You should probably call the admissions office just to clarify where you stand. Good luck.

I would like to know this too.. I did not, and I will probably be calling OHSU tomorrow to see whats up. I will fill you in as soon as I do.

Does anybody know when the alternate list will start moving?:confused: I know the email said June, but what are we waiting for right now? How long are the people with direct admittance given to make their choice, and how long are alternate position people given for their choices?

Does anybody know when the alternate list will start moving?:confused: I know the email said June, but what are we waiting for right now? How long are the people with direct admittance given to make their choice, and how long are alternate position people given for their choices?

Everyone has to choose just one acceptance by May 15th. It should start moving after that (a friend of a friend got off the alternate list the day after last year). I think typical schools give you a week or so to decide to accept or decline. They say there will be daily updates and they will let us know "immediately" if there is a spot for us, so I'm assuming that all of that starts after May 15. :xf:

Everyone has to choose just one acceptance by May 15th. It should start moving after that (a friend of a friend got off the alternate list the day after last year). I think typical schools give you a week or so to decide to accept or decline. They say there will be daily updates and they will let us know "immediately" if there is a spot for us, so I'm assuming that all of that starts after May 15. :xf:

I'm thinking it won't start until after the 18th--the alternate list email mentioned that as a deadline to accept or decline a spot on the list, so I'm guessing they'll total up any last minute withdrawals and declined alternate spots at the end of the week and (hopefully) start moving through the list on Monday. The first SDN posts of alternate list acceptances last year were on the 23rd, which was basically the first possible Monday. (The 15th last year was Sunday.)
It's obviously pretty pointless to game all this out since it's out of our hands (and OHSU's too) at this point. But I'm going to try to keep a lid on my cortisol levels until next week. :laugh:

thanks for the input!

Heres a chart from last years thread... It would be nice to see last years numbers added to this, but that would be a lot of work, unless somebody can locate this file... It doesnt look like there is any movement here until early june for most years.

I have attached it, but does anybody know how to actually make it show up in the actual post?

Attachments

• WLmovementimage.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 86

As mentioned before, last year they started sending email acceptances on Monday the 23rd. The year before that (according to SDN) the first wait list acceptances went out Tuesday the 25th. So I am guessing the list will start moving Monday or Tuesday of next week. However, OHSU has been especially slow this year so don't be surprised if it is another couple days after that.

Heres a chart from last years thread... It would be nice to see last years numbers added to this, but that would be a lot of work, unless somebody can locate this file... It doesnt look like there is any movement here until early june for most years.

I have attached it, but does anybody know how to actually make it show up in the actual post?

I'm not 100% sure on this but I believe OHSU used to send letters in the mail a couple years ago rather than updating the portal. That could explain why a few years ago people didn't know about wait list movement till June is because they received mailed letters. Not sure on that though. It would be great if someone could confirm or deny that. Either way the past 2 years movement started in May so maybe that trend will continue this year.

I'm not 100% sure on this but I believe OHSU used to send letters in the mail a couple years ago rather than updating the portal. That could explain why a few years ago people didn't know about wait list movement till June is because they received mailed letters. Not sure on that though. It would be great if someone could confirm or deny that. Either way the past 2 years movement started in May so maybe that trend will continue this year.

Interesting, that would make sense though. thanks

Hey all, I'm a current MD/PhD student at OHSU (feel free to msg me if you have any questions).

For those that are accepted and looking for where to live, I'd urge you all to check out the OHSU Co-op. It's an old frat house that has been converted into housing for health sciences students at OHSU. The coop is not officially part of OHSU, but is an independent non-profit corp. For more info, the website is www.ohsucoop.com. I've been living there for 6 years now (my entire MD/PhD tenure) and I love it, mostly because of the awesome people who live there (and the seriously cheap rent, $250/month).

Cheers and congrats, see you all in the fall.

Anyone who got wait listed planning to go elsewhere?

Nope... I think there will be a large reporting bias to your question on this thread since most people here have expressed great interest in OHSU.

I have called the number which was included in my alternate list email about 10 times between yesterday and today... Not a single time did anybody pick up:confused:. 541-494-6067. Is there another number I might want to try? I wonder if that phone is sitting in an empty room of some buildings basement where nobody can hear it...

I have called the number which was included in my alternate list email about 10 times between yesterday and today... Not a single time did anybody pick up:confused:. 541-494-6067. Is there another number I might want to try? I wonder if that phone is sitting in an empty room of some buildings basement where nobody can hear it...

Should be (503) 494-6067

Finally got through, they have received my email. I guess they don't confirm your responses unless you call.

Mybubbles, I received an email saying I had been accepted. Eventually you get something via snail mail but people should know pretty much immediately once the waitlist starts moving.

If it's anything like last year it will shoot up all at once (but not as early as the May15th deadline) and then will trickle up for the rest of the summer.

Mybubbles, I received an email saying I had been accepted. Eventually you get something via snail mail but people should know pretty much immediately once the waitlist starts moving.

If it's anything like last year it will shoot up all at once (but not as early as the May15th deadline) and then will trickle up for the rest of the summer.

I know last year was e-mails. But do you know how people were notified 2009 and prior? I know the last 2 years it was e-mails but that is also when notifications came in may.

I'd be suprised if they waited 'til early June to start admitting folks from the waitlist. (Assuming they have any spots to give! :laugh:) I'd guess that the relationship of post-May 15th time and yield shows a strong inverse correlation: you're much more likely to get a "yes" from someone you admit on May 28th than you are on July 31st.
So... one more week? :xf:

To follow up on the MD/PhD not getting an MD waitlist number, I called the office today and they told me my MD-only waitlist number in case anyone is in a similar situation. They also said that the top 25 remaining applicants are put on the MD/PhD alternate list but you don't get a specific number.

To follow up on the MD/PhD not getting an MD waitlist number, I called the office today and they told me my MD-only waitlist number in case anyone is in a similar situation. They also said that the top 25 remaining applicants are put on the MD/PhD alternate list but you don't get a specific number.

Is being "on hold" for the MD/PhD program the same as being on the alternate list for the MD/PhD program?

just so ya'all know...about 7 (or 8) people in the FB group are current M1s. I probably won't be letting any more m1s into the group so ya'all have a more accurate representation of how many c/o 2016 acceptees have joined the group.

Is being "on hold" for the MD/PhD program the same as being on the alternate list for the MD/PhD program?

On my portal the decision was changed from "On Hold" to "Alternate". I would call to double check your status though.

Status
Not open for further replies.