2011-2012 University of Central Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. I interviewed back on early December, and was placed on the waiting list. I am in the upper half of the upper third, and I want to be accepted at UCF so badly. Does anybody know when I should expect to hear an update?

Due to the holidays and gap in interviewing, the committee has not been terribly active so not much has changed. We finally had an admit meeting last night so after phone calls to that group today, I HOPE to get an email out to all already on the list --- if not today, then tomorrow --- but, as you surmise not a whole lot has changed.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone accepted today? I was wait listed with a sliver of hope for a future spot.

Not to cause any panic, but when I interviewed in december I think REL there were something around over 60 seats taken already, so I would guess about 30 seats left by now. On the bright side there are more interview spots yet to be given and as he told me, a lot of movement happens in may when med students need to commit to only one school and drop the rest. So I would not worry too much about the seats left.

I know its probably been posted but when is second look again? Since I got waitlisted and my chances of getting in are probably in may, if I do get in I would love to go!
I believe REL said it was April 13th and 14th. I hope it is, cuz I've already cleared them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Due to the holidays and gap in interviewing, the committee has not been terribly active so not much has changed. We finally had an admit meeting last night so after phone calls to that group today, I HOPE to get an email out to all already on the list --- if not today, then tomorrow --- but, as you surmise not a whole lot has changed.

That's awesome to hear, thanks.

How many more interview dates are left? Three? If so, that means the committee meets just as many times?

How many more interview dates are left? Three? If so, that means the committee meets just as many times?

I think originially the committee would meet every two weeks. So there would be more than one interview date per meeting.

yes i would like to know that too!

REL would be a great person to ask. Just give the admissions office a call, I can guaruntee you they will be very kind.

I think second look is supposed to be very focused on meeting other students and checking out the school faculty and staff.

Just call and ask.

Congratulations!!! so u've gotten into both fsu n ucf? the tuition waiver from fsu should b really tempting/make ur decision somewhat easier

I'm still interviewing, and I don't have financial info back from all of the places where I interviewed, so I'm not sure how big of a factor finances will play :) I've gotten into places I love (UCF) and places that are practical (my state school), so I do have a good bit of thinking to do :)

Well, I'm out everyone. Good luck to everyone else and congrats to all the acceptances!

Anyone know if the ~$12,000 for OOS'ers is just for the first year or something that will be given all four years?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if the ~$12,000 for OOS'ers is just for the first year or something that will be given all four years?

I am sorry to say that it is all four years. : (

Edit: I thought you were talking about the tuition differential between IS and OOS.

Last edited:
I am sorry to say that it is all four years. : (

Why are you sorry if we get it all four years? That's great for oos'ers. Unless you mean it's 12,000 split across four years. That's not cool.

Well, I'm out everyone. Good luck to everyone else and congrats to all the acceptances!

Sorry about that chief, the committee told me to cut about 600 yesterday since we are close to filling the last ~20 interview seats. We did not want to prolong this process any longer than we had to. I wish you well.

Sorry about that chief, the committee told me to cut about 600 yesterday since we are close to filling the last ~20 interview seats. We did not want to prolong this process any longer than we had to. I wish you well.

Sooo I assume if I didn't get an email saying bye byes, I am still in the running for at least another day?

Oh, and those approximately 20 slots are for waitlist seats, or any actual acceptances up for grabs at this point?

600 out of "how many are remaining?" I got the e-mail too. Disappointed. But thankful that I have some certainty. REL is there an opportunity to set up an appointment to discuss strengthening our applications?

Sooo I assume if I didn't get an email saying bye byes, I am still in the running for at least another day?

Oh, and those approximately 20 slots are for waitlist seats, or any actual acceptances up for grabs at this point?

Unlike most programs we do not "overbook" our class so every group that interviews has a shot at an open seat until the end.

600 out of "how many are remaining?" I got the e-mail too. Disappointed. But thankful that I have some certainty. REL is there an opportunity to set up an appointment to discuss strengthening our applications?

You can request this via the mdadmission email site. I do want you to provide your own reflective analysis of your application with strengths and weaknesses.

REL - When can accepted students plan to hear if they are awarded some sort of financial aid (or if they will not be awarded any). I don't want to jump the gun but it obviously will play into people's decision about attending another school or not. Also, is the time frame the same for IS and OOS applicants? Thanks

Unlike most programs we do not "overbook" our class so every group that interviews has a shot at an open seat until the end.

Thanks REL. I'm really starting to appreciate the transparency of the UCF admissions process.

REL - When can accepted students plan to hear if they are awarded some sort of financial aid (or if they will not be awarded any). I don't want to jump the gun but it obviously will play into people's decision about attending another school or not. Also, is the time frame the same for IS and OOS applicants? Thanks

I believe March or April (I'm pretty eager to know this too :p)

~20 interview spots left? I'm going to be checking my phone incessantly.

I wonder how many are left in the pool for those 20 spots...

I wonder how many are left in the pool for those 20 spots...

Can't be many. If they only EFI pool 800-1000 and 600 just got cut, that can't leave many considering quite a few have been invited already.

Can't be many. If they only EFI pool 800-1000 and 600 just got cut, that can't leave many considering quite a few have been invited already.

:D

Keep the faith my brother. I'd turn down my acceptance for this place in a heartbeat.

So my hope for getting an interview isn't lost just yet :) i didn't get that email! I hope i can at least have a shot at staying at UCF!! I Love this school soooo much!!!

:D

Keep the faith my brother. I'd turn down my acceptance for this place in a heartbeat.

Just out of curiosity, what do you see as UCF's best selling points versus where you have already been accepted? Facilities & technology? Faculty? The chance to be part of a hot new school in the making? The atypical, superior, user-friendly marketing of Rel Larkin? :)

How close are the teaching hospitals? Where do the students live? Commute? (It is physically a little "out there" in the being developed area)

Will very much welcome any thoughts! And good luck on being accepted @ UCF!

Thanks for the multiple PM replies to my queries just above! May you folks be successful in getting accepted @ UCF! May the Force be with you! Live long and prosper...and help many others to do so as well!

Thanks for the multiple PM replies to my queries just above! May you folks be successful in getting accepted @ UCF! May the Force be with you! Live long and prosper...and help many others to do so as well!

sarcastically hilarious...at least i hope it's genuinely comin 4rm ur heart...lol

sarcastically hilarious...at least i hope it's genuinely comin 4rm ur heart...lol

Simply well-known movie allusions, presumably even among Millennials...certainly no sarcasm or dissembling intended! :confused:

I am glad to hear this. I personally think it would be very unfair to take applications until January 15th and there be no chance of being interviewed.

PS please give Vandy Premed an interview.

Apparently they do not give people who apply late in the process equal consideration.
Inquire as to why rejected and the response mentioned the fact the application was not received until January 2012.

Last edited:
Apparently they do not give people who apply late in the process equal consideration.
Inquire as to why rejected and the response mentioned the fact the application was not received until January 2012.

I would not expect equal consideration. I applied in December and every day I'm expecting the rejection email. My friend with similar stats finished in November and was rejected, but he also had an interview for UF... So I'm just taking it day by day.

I would not expect equal consideration. I applied in December and every day I'm expecting the rejection email. My friend with similar stats finished in November and was rejected, but he also had an interview for UF... So I'm just taking it day by day.

But you should get the same consideration. When you applied for college admissions as long as you applied by the deadline you were given equal opportunity. If there is a job opening and it has a closing deadline the same holds true everyone has the same chance of getting the job.

Good Luck I hope you get some good news

But you should get the same consideration. When you applied for college admissions as long as you applied by the deadline you were given equal opportunity. If there is a job opening and it has a closing deadline the same holds true everyone has the same chance of getting the job.

The thing is, med schools do rolling admissions.. While colleges do not. So you're definitely at a disadvantage when you apply late. If you submitted your app in July, you'd be competing with maybe 1000 apps for more interview spots and more open seats. If you submitted your app in December, you'd be competing with 8,000 other people for significantly less interview spots and seats. So you are definitely at a disadvantage.

You may think its unfair but you honestly can't expect medical schools to take 10,000 apps in december and be able to interview and accept everyone in 3 months... It's how the system is set up and you just gotta go with it.

I had the same issue last year, I was complete at most places until November and it put me at a huge disadvantage. But I learned from it and applied earlier and have had more success this time around. Good luck.

I had the same issue last year, I was complete at most places until November and it put me at a huge disadvantage. But I learned from it and applied earlier and have had more success this time around. Good luck.

You mean you WEREN'T complete until November?

The thing is, med schools do rolling admissions.. While colleges do not. So you're definitely at a disadvantage when you apply late. If you submitted your app in July, you'd be competing with maybe 1000 apps for more interview spots and more open seats. If you submitted your app in December, you'd be competing with 8,000 other people for significantly less interview spots and seats. So you are definitely at a disadvantage.

You may think its unfair but you honestly can't expect medical schools to take 10,000 apps in december and be able to interview and accept everyone in 3 months... It's how the system is set up and you just gotta go with it.

Unfortunately it took six months for a peer letter to be submitted.

You mean you WEREN'T complete until November?

Are you asking because you actually want to know, or because you find that the tenses disagree?

Unfortunately it took six months for a peer letter to be submitted.

That stinks. I hounded my buddy at school to get mine in. GL O.B. :luck:

Anyway, I wonder when the final 20 calls are being made...

Are you asking because you actually want to know, or because you find that the tenses disagree?

At least it was on time. Last cycle one of the science professors submitted their letter after the deadline.

While I agree ideally you should, the world is not ideal. As for jobs, I've known some people who get interviews just because the opening needs to meet a quota of interviewed people and some earlier candidate already had the position locked. It sucks man. Thanks though and best of luck to ya. What I've learned from this time around is to complete everything early haha.

Just out of curiosity, what do you see as UCF's best selling points versus where you have already been accepted? Facilities & technology? Faculty? The chance to be part of a hot new school in the making? The atypical, superior, user-friendly marketing of Rel Larkin? :)

How close are the teaching hospitals? Where do the students live? Commute? (It is physically a little "out there" in the being developed area)

Will very much welcome any thoughts! And good luck on being accepted @ UCF!
Thanks for posting these questions. I have the same as well.

Thanks in advance for giving us some insight!

REL said the last group was March 9 so I am guessing you should hear something by the last week in February. I think most people need at least two week notice.

Good Luck to you :luck: As for here it is Limbo Land UCF only school who responded. Even though their response was the wrong one :confused: :mad: at least they did have the decency to let you know where you stood
The rest no response.

Last edited:

Haha... I guess I knew what you meant, and it just reminded me how I'm still pissed off at myself for not getting my secondaries done ASAP.... so I took it out on your grammar. Sorry! :oops:

It will be a long weekend for me, waiting to hear from REL on Feb 14...I am going to be out all weekend to bring my mind to other places. Good luck to other Jan 20er's and all!

Status
Not open for further replies.