2022-2023 University of Central Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Welcome to this thread and to the Lake Nona Medical City. This program has rapidly grown into the leader in the state in M.D. Program outcomes with upper-upper-quartile board scores and research, as well as the state's strongest match lists in the upper echelon specialties (18%) with placements at top residencies across the U.S. These are a product of our very diverse student body that come from around the country (~40 of 120 seats for non-Floridians), our truly integrated curriculum, and collaboration among our students and faculty.

The 7,000 acre Lake Nona Medical City continues to expand rapidly with housing, retail, the opening of our own Lake Nona Hospital adjacent to the COM. We have joined with Sarah Cannon Cancer to open our own UCF Cancer Research Institute adjacent to the UCF Hospital. We will continue to partner our clinical training with approximately 20 hospitals in the general Central Florida vicinity as well as opportunities in Jacksonville, St Petersburg, Naples, Ocala, and Gainesville. Merge this with the newer Lake Nona VA Hospital, the amazing Nemours Children's Hospital, and the National VA SimLearn Center for Simulation, the Rosen School for Hospitality, the massive USTA HQ tennis complex, and the Lake Nona Human Performance Institute we have all partnered to raise the bar with simulation, nutrition, and Health and Wellness. Finally we have created and filled approximately 550 of 620 residency positions in what is one of the largest academic M.D. Graduate Medical Education programs in Florida.

The UCF COM won the AAMC award for best Student Affairs Career Advising and Wellness Program in 2016. UCF is also the 7th least expensive M.D. program in the nation (the only Florida program in the top 25) according to StudentLoanHero.

We look forward to partnering with you during this application year as we continue to provide you with transparency throughout the admissions year.

Please visit www.med.ucf.edu/admissions for additional information.

Reactions: 4 users
I have been looking at UCF COM's early decision program, and I had a question about this line on the UCF COM website:

"Applicants who are not accepted under this program, in most instances, are still given consideration for admission during the regular admission cycle."

I am curious to know how this works if I am hypothetically rejected during the EDP process. Would there be another round of interviews? What would the process look in a transition from being considered for EDP to being considered during the normal admissions cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been looking at UCF COM's early decision program, and I had a question about this line on the UCF COM website:

"Applicants who are not accepted under this program, in most instances, are still given consideration for admission during the regular admission cycle."

I am curious to know how this works if I am hypothetically rejected during the EDP process. Would there be another round of interviews? What would the process look in a transition from being considered for EDP to being considered during the normal admissions cycle?
Most schools do not spend the time and resources necessary to re-interview people they have already seen during a cycle. All this means is that, in most cases, if you are not accepted ED you will be considered along with everyone else in the regular cycle, as opposed to being rejected early.

There is no "process." Your application would merely be moved from the ED pool to the regular one, but you will be at a huge disadvantage, because you won't be accepted early, and won't be able to apply anywhere else until you receive the decision, months after everyone else has applied regular decision.

For this reason, the ED option is not very popular, and should only be used if you receive a strong indication from the school that you will be accepted. I'm not sure if the number is correct, but MSAR shows that UCF received exactly 0 applications ED last year. This should also be confirmed with the school before you do anything. Hopefully @REL can help with this. Good luck!!

Reactions: 1 user
Most schools do not spend the time and resources necessary to re-interview people they have already seen during a cycle. All this means is that, in most cases, if you are not accepted ED you will be considered along with everyone else in the regular cycle, as opposed to being rejected early.

There is no "process." Your application would merely be moved from the ED pool to the regular one, but you will be at a huge disadvantage, because you won't be accepted early, and won't be able to apply anywhere else until you receive the decision, months after everyone else has applied regular decision.

For this reason, the ED option is not very popular, and should only be used if you receive a strong indication from the school that you will be accepted. I'm not sure if the number is correct, but MSAR shows that UCF received exactly 0 applications ED last year. This should also be confirmed with the school before you do anything. Hopefully @REL can help with this. Good luck!!
Thanks a lot for this reply. I understand the drawbacks/risks of applying ED, but UCF COM is my top choice and I have decent ties to the institution. I had talked to the adcom about my application to UCF COM, but not explicitly about ED. I'll see what I can do about pursuing this option.

Thanks a lot for this reply. I understand the drawbacks/risks of applying ED, but UCF COM is my top choice and I have decent ties to the institution. I had talked to the adcom about my application to UCF COM, but not explicitly about ED. I'll see what I can do about pursuing this option.

Thank you for your inquiry, I havent been paying any attention to this newer thread yet. In our process if an applicant is not accepted at the first Admissions Committee via the EDP they are appropriately instructed to change their AMCAS App Type to (Regular Application) and you may list UCF for a second chance as well as apply to other programs along the way. If you want to have a second chance at UCF you will be included in the final interview group that occurs around mid-March. You can also take advantage of providing an update to your application prior to the committee's last meeting.

Reactions: 1 users
For question 3, is it safe to assume we can go over the 500 character limit? I can't list all of my online courses in under 500 characters

IS secondary recieved @wysdoc

(3.1) Please list each course you have taken, or are projected to take, in an online environment. (500 characters)

(5) If you are NOT a Florida resident, please describe any connection to UCF COM, UCF, or Florida. (500 characters)

(7) If you do not expect to spend the academic year enrolled in an academic program, please explain how you will use this time. (500 characters)

(8.1) In this space, provide brief details regarding academic difficulties, grades below "B minus," or course withdrawals. (500 characters)

(13) What breakthrough in clinical or research medicine would you like to see occur within the span of your career in medicine? Why? (750 characters)

(14) The complexity of healthcare delivery increasingly requires interdisciplinary teamwork. What lessons have you learned from sports, music, business or other experiences have prepared you to succeed in this environment? (750 characters)

(15) We often hear that students want to pursue medicine to help people. Why did you choose medicine and not some other field where you can help others, such as nursing, physical therapy, pharmacology, psychology, education, or social work? (750 characters)

(16) Please share with the Admissions Committee why you are specifically interested in UCF COM. (750 characters)

(18) Please provide a short essay to help us understand who you are. This essay should be different from your AMCAS Personal Statement. UCF COM places great value on the broad diversity of our students within the classroom. We believe the diverse characteristics of each individual in the class are important factors in serving the educational missions of this school and of our community. Please discuss any unique, personally important and/or challenging experiences in your background that have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine and service to others. These may include experiences such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, cultural background, or other significant events or circumstances that you feel have shaped your character and defined you as an individual. We are also interested on your thoughts about what you can contribute to your class and the medical profession in general. (4,000 character limit)

IS secondary recieved @wysdoc

(3.1) Please list each course you have taken, or are projected to take, in an online environment. (500 characters)

(5) If you are NOT a Florida resident, please describe any connection to UCF COM, UCF, or Florida. (500 characters)

(7) If you do not expect to spend the academic year enrolled in an academic program, please explain how you will use this time. (500 characters)

(8.1) In this space, provide brief details regarding academic difficulties, grades below "B minus," or course withdrawals. (500 characters)

(13) What breakthrough in clinical or research medicine would you like to see occur within the span of your career in medicine? Why? (750 characters)

(14) The complexity of healthcare delivery increasingly requires interdisciplinary teamwork. What lessons have you learned from sports, music, business or other experiences have prepared you to succeed in this environment? (750 characters)

(15) We often hear that students want to pursue medicine to help people. Why did you choose medicine and not some other field where you can help others, such as nursing, physical therapy, pharmacology, psychology, education, or social work? (750 characters)

(16) Please share with the Admissions Committee why you are specifically interested in UCF COM. (750 characters)

(18) Please provide a short essay to help us understand who you are. This essay should be different from your AMCAS Personal Statement. UCF COM places great value on the broad diversity of our students within the classroom. We believe the diverse characteristics of each individual in the class are important factors in serving the educational missions of this school and of our community. Please discuss any unique, personally important and/or challenging experiences in your background that have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine and service to others. These may include experiences such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, cultural background, or other significant events or circumstances that you feel have shaped your character and defined you as an individual. We are also interested on your thoughts about what you can contribute to your class and the medical profession in general. (4,000 character limit)
what do the numbers in the parenthesis mean?

what do the numbers in the parenthesis mean?
The character limit for your response, including spaces. Most schools will literally cut you off at the limit. Even though you can continue to type, characters above the limit will not transmit. And even if they don't physically cut you off, it's a terrible look to ignore the instruction and exceed the limit.

The character limit for your response, including spaces. Most schools will literally cut you off at the limit. Even though you can continue to type, characters above the limit will not transmit. And even if they don't physically cut you off, it's a terrible look to ignore the instruction and exceed the limit.
Thank you :) What about the numbers to the left of the prompts? I was getting confused by the "3.1" and "8.1" and why some numbers appear to be skipped.

Thank you :) What about the numbers to the left of the prompts? I was getting confused by the "3.1" and "8.1" and why some numbers appear to be skipped.
I am pretty sure those are just the question numbers, and the *.1 denotes a sub question. Nothing should be skipped, so I'd need an example to help you out there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Goodluck everyone!

Question about the online courses question: when it says that we can leave a short comment for explanation at the end, does it mean at the end of each line (ie you could have one per course) or at the end of the entire list?

Question about the online courses question: when it says that we can leave a short comment for explanation at the end, does it mean at the end of each line (ie you could have one per course) or at the end of the entire list?
I don’t think a description is necessary. I called the admissions office about that question because I wasn’t sure if they wanted all online classes or just during Covid and the woman who answered said that that question is primarily there for classes you did online due to Covid but she advised me to add all online classes as best as I can remember. she kind of insinuated that it’s there to gauge if your school “lessened” it’s quality when it went remote (ie, you got a lot of As in online only courses but did bad once it went back to in-person). So I don’t think a description is needed unless you failed an online class or something.

Was just notified that my application is under review by AORTA

Mine was submitted two days ago on 7/12 and I got the AORTA review notification today.
Oh my gosh, I just realized I am under review as well. Ah! Goodluck to you, I wish you a good cycle!!

+1, not sure if it actually means anything but hoping its a good sign
Yeah I'm genuinely curious... Does anyone know how significant it is to receive an AORTA status? Is it one of those things that ~90% of people get?

Yeah I'm genuinely curious... Does anyone know how significant it is to receive an AORTA status? Is it one of those things that ~90% of people get?
Here's how the admissions director explained it last year. AORTA is an acronym for their team of application readers and screeners I believe

It also means that we passed the first screening they do to check that we met their minimum GPA, MCAT, courses, etc. I think the MCAT was like a 500. So basically 90% of people would get that status.

AORTA. Complete 7/7. Didn’t get notified of it tho, just checked my portal.

AORTA received!!! Complete 7/9. I was looking back at the forums for this school from the last couple of years, and I saw that REL said they chose approximately 1600 people for AORTA out of the 5000 applicants, and they interviewed approximately 400 of those people. So - this is good news!!! WOOOO! Goodluck everyone.

AORTA received!!! Complete 7/9. I was looking back at the forums for this school from the last couple of years, and I saw that REL said they chose approximately 1600 people for AORTA out of the 5000 applicants, and they interviewed approximately 400 of those people. So - this is good news!!! WOOOO! Goodluck everyone.
Where did you see that post? This is the one I saw from REL on the 2020-2021 thread:
A goodly majority of applicants will achieve EFI status. You will receive an email that will provide many details. Your dashboard will also provide you with a short definition when your status changes.

Where did you see that post? This is the one I saw from REL on the 2020-2021 thread:
Page 4 of the 2017-2018 thread. I will quote the message below.

Last year we invited ~440 to interview and the EFI pool was in the vicinity of 1400-1600, so I would say that 30-40% is still a good range.

this is what is posted verbatim from the applicant dashboard under current overall application status:

AORTA - ELIGIBLE FOR INTERVIEW SELECTION
Your file is in a pool of applicants to be considered for an interview group on a near-weekly basis as we construct interview groups. This means the file is eligible for selection for an interview group, IT DOES NOT MEAN that selection for an interview is guaranteed or will be granted.

i think EFI simply means your complete file was reviewed and meets minimum eligibility criteria to receive an interview... but does not mean you will get an interview.

Has anyone been able to figure out what the AORT-EFI status actually entails? As in, should I get my hopes up from it lol

Has anyone been able to figure out what the AORT-EFI status actually entails? As in, should I get my hopes up from it lol
So the file complete email said this:

“An Admissions Office Review Team for Applicants (AORTA) will begin a full review of your entire application to consider you for an interview; files that meet or exceed our minimum 3.0 GPA and 500 MCAT requirements will be reviewed. We will carefully look for the broad diversity of motivations, talents, and skills that we desire for the members of the next class. We anticipate that this review may take up to 10-15 business days to complete. The result of the individual AORTA review will be either "eligible for interview selection" (EFI) or "not competitive" for an interview.”

From my understanding, this means that they only review apps that have a minimum 500 MCAT & 3.0 GPA, but then narrow those down based on a preliminary review of all of the application materials. So it’s a good sign I think!

I don't think you should look too deep into it. All I know from their website and that description is that qualified applicants, who meet the minimum requirements (MCAT, GPA, etc.) are extended a secondary. After that, they do a holistic but reasonably quick overview of your application to see if you might have something they are interested in for their class. Once they see that, they will look closer and more carefully to see how truthful and authentic our story really is. It feels like an interrogation haha, but jokes aside, it's something to be happy about but also not have too much hope in it because I am sure a good handful of people gets that status.

[mention]REL [/mention] you have been summoned
Poof, ..............late, ................but Poof!

File complete is an administrative admissions review that indicates that we appear to have received all of the required information to begin a full review of an application. At this point applications will be queued up for a more quantitative application review be faculty teams.

The Admissions Office Review Team for Applicants (AORTA) are multiple teams of 4-5 faculty members each who have been trained to review applications. Each team is assigned a group of applicants to be reviewed over a two week period. Each team member independently reviews each application then attends a meeting to discuss their impressions of the application. Upon conclusion of the discussion each member provides their final vote total for each applicant. The outcome of this meeting will be posted as a status on each applicant's dashboard. The outcome will either be a status of: "eligible for Interview selection (EFI)" or "not competitive for an interview."

We have been using this process, and email, for several years and there has been no issue. If something needs to be clarified, or if there is something that I am missing about the topic, please let me know.

Reactions: 1 users

File complete is an administrative admissions review that indicates that we appear to have received all of the required information to begin a full review of an application. At this point applications will be queued up for a more quantitative application review be faculty teams.

The Admissions Office Review Team for Applicants (AORTA) are multiple teams of 4-5 faculty members each who have been trained to review applications. Each team is assigned a group of applicants to be reviewed over a two week period. Each team member independently reviews each application then attends a meeting to discuss their impressions of the application. Upon conclusion of the discussion each member provides their final vote total for each applicant. The outcome of this meeting will be posted as a status on each applicant's dashboard. The outcome will either be a status of: "eligible for Interview selection (EFI)" or "not competitive for an interview."

We have been using this process, and email, for several years and there has been no issue. If something needs to be clarified, or if there is something that I am missing about the topic, please let me know.
Thanks for the insight! Are you able to share around how many applicants get EFI? I think a lot of us are confused because there's been differing information on past years forums.

So you are saying EFI is a result of a general overview of each applicant meaning they glanced at our full application aside from stats? And that EFI is basically a deeper reading?

So you are saying EFI is a result of a general overview of each applicant meaning they glanced at our full application aside from stats? And that EFI is basically a deeper reading?
Does this also mean I can distribute party hats for my EFI people? :hardy:

in the vicinity of 75-80%

Hey, thank you so much for clarifying all of this it means a lot to us neurotic premeds!

Does this mean that the AORTA groups will go through the list of applicants the first time where they talk about overall impressions of the applicant to determine eligibility for EFI then they meet again for a deeper dive into the applicants for selection for the interview? Is the first score used in the second at all?

Does this further mean that, 75-80% are scored favorably the first time then when they meet again ~15% of the instate applicants and ~7% of the out of state applicants, who are EFI, are sent an interview?

Thank you for your clarification!