2011-2012 University of Central Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is true! I received a call from REL Larkin today and when I called back I was invited to interview! They only had the 24th of February open so I'll have to make last minute travel arrangements but I'm extremely thankful to have the opportunity to see and interview at UCF and to experience its awesomeness first hand. Hope you guys get good news!!
Congrats, youll do great! The interviews usually ask some ethical questions so be prepared to think.

Members don't see this ad.

So have those rejection notices gone out yet, because I wanna know if I should be pulling for some of you to withdraw from the invite because you liked another acceptance more haha.

And if I am one of the pre-interview potential random invites, should I bother with any sort of update?

Just got the rejection e-mail. REL and co...

It's been real, it's been fun, it's been real fun. Thanks for the opportunity!

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel you, I went back to school to do my stuff to. When i say premed, i mean prerequisite classes. I went back after a year in the workforce. Its hard as crap. but still managed to squeeze it all in. One thing i did, was I asked for 6 LOR even though i really only needed like 3 or 4. This way I knew if a couple people slacked, i would still have enough. I mean, i definitly wanted some more than others, but i found it prudent to cover my ass. especially in a category where the rate limiting step is in someone elses hands.

I really do wish you the best of luck. I hope everything works out well.

As far as studying goes. heres my take home points from the HB-2 exam.
dont get diabetes
Dont get a pituitary adenoma
Reproduction is cool
cranial nerves are both cool, and fragile.
and please, for the love of God. Take care of your kidney, they do so much crap its not even funny.

good luck to everyone. i hope you all get accepted everywhere you applied!

-AJ
So how was the test? Did all your studying result in a good outcome

Rejected last Saturday evening. February has been a brutal month of rejections

Interview tomorrow! Excited! Any last second advice?

Also does anyone know if you can access your secondary app online to review? I wrote it quite a long time ago so a refresh would be nice haha thanks!

Interview tomorrow! Excited! Any last second advice?

Also does anyone know if you can access your secondary app online to review? I wrote it quite a long time ago so a refresh would be nice haha thanks!

Yes, you can access your secondary online via the same site you submitted it.

I unfortunatelty don't have any advice, but I do know you're going to LOVE it!!!! Prepare to be impressed. :D :luck:

I wonder what it means if my status is still eligible for interview. should i have gotten the rejection by this point or am I waiting for somebody to give up their interview spot?

You don't have it saved on your computer? Word file? Don't tell me you just typed it online and sent it off...but you still got an interview invite! I could not have pulled that off! :D

I wonder what it means if my status is still eligible for interview. should i have gotten the rejection by this point or am I waiting for somebody to give up their interview spot?

Good question...I know they already slashed hundreds of applicants and gave out a bunch more rejections, so maybe there's some hope for you! :luck:

Yes, you can access your secondary online via the same site you submitted it.

I unfortunatelty don't have any advice, but I do know you're going to LOVE it!!!! Prepare to be impressed. :D :luck:

Hmm.. I tried this, but I couldn't reach my secondary. Odd.

You don't have it saved on your computer? Word file? Don't tell me you just typed it online and sent it off...but you still got an interview invite! I could not have pulled that off! :D

I do have it in a word file, but I don't have the corresponding questions. Also this is my second round of applications so I have two different copies, haha

I do have it in a word file, but I don't have the corresponding questions. Also this is my second round of applications so I have two different copies, haha

Here is the essay question I have saved in my Word document:

Please provide a 1-2 page essay to help us understand "who" you are. Include what you can contribute to your class, the medical profession in general, as well as descriptions of significant events or circumstances that have shaped your character. Please also include information about your family, personal interests, hobbies, travels, and specific goals you may have achieved. This essay should be different than your AMCAS Personal Statement.

Smaller ones:

Please provide information about clinical medical volunteering, shadowing, or medical work experiences that are NOT included in your AMCAS application. (Please leave blank if there is no additional information)

Please provide information about community service that is NOT included in your AMCAS application. (Please leave blank if there is no additional information)

Please provide information about research experience that is NOT included in your AMCAS application. (Please leave blank if there is no additional information)

Please provide information about teamwork experience that is NOT included in your AMCAS application. (Please leave blank if there is no additional information)

Please provide any additional information about leadership experience that is NOT included in your AMCAS application. (Please leave blank if there is no additional information)

Please provide information about unique, high-level accomplishments that are NOT included in your AMCAS application. (This area may be left blank)

Please provide information regarding hardships that you might have overcome that are NOT included in your AMCAS application. (This area may be left blank)

Please provide any information that you would like the UCF COM Medical Student Admissions Committee to consider that has not been addressed in your AMCAS application. (This area may be left blank)

Members don't see this ad :)
E-mail stating that it wasn't me, it was them; that there's more fish in the sea, and that it's always darkest before dawn. They love me, but aren't IN love with me. ;)

I got one of these a couple weeks ago myself - I love the way you describe it here, exactly what I was thinking when I got it :rofl:

Hmm.. I tried this, but I couldn't reach my secondary. Odd.

Sorry about that. I am fairly certain I was able to access my secondary before the interview was scheduled, but now when I tried, I was unable to as well. :confused: :luck:

I'm pretty sure you and me are in that small cadre of people on standby that Rel mentioned. Being that today was an interview day and having no idea where we sit or if anyone canceled I'm half expecting a rejection tonight or tomorrow. I think there are two interview days left, so here's to people canceling lol

I'm pretty sure you and me are in that small cadre of people on standby that Rel mentioned. Being that today was an interview day and having no idea where we sit or if anyone canceled I'm half expecting a rejection tonight or tomorrow. I think there are two interview days left, so here's to people canceling lol

here here lol

So I got waitlisted but I'm at the top of the list. Is anyone in the same boat? Anyone accepted that might be dropping their seats ((fingers crossed))?

let me know please!:oops:

Nervous for tomorrow!! Everyone else waiting to hear from REL GOOD LUCK!!!

So for a long time I've followed this thread but not posted.

I must say I'm disheartened.

This is my second time applying, both time I've had interviews with UCF med. Both times very impressed with the school.

And both times I've received a bottom third phone call.

I'd love to know what I'm doing wrong. I was so sure that my application as a whole and my interview were good this year.

In any case, good luck to all of you. I think its time for me to yet again consider other options... and also have a good sit down talk in person with the committee as to why I'm not getting accepted.

Do not lose hope. If you are at the top 1/3 you have a lot higher chance of getting accepted as many drop their acceptances for other schools. There are plenty who were accepted off waitlist there now who were top 1/3.

People may not post it yet but they will drop. I know plenty who got in from the top 1/3 and some even from the middle 1/3. Waitlist movement starts around April for a few but really picks up post May 15th and goes til about July when it starts to trickle down again. After that they keep only a handful of waitlistees on the waitlist in the rare event someone drop at the very last min during orientation or in the last days before school starts.

Hope that answers your question.

What I posted is based on last year's trend and the trend of the year before that.

awesome. thank you very much. super reassuring!

I don't say this lightly when I saw UCF blew my socks off. They are now my number 1 school over Miami after my interview there on Friday. If I met you there, it was a pleasure and I hope to see you all as my classmates come the fall!

HOPEFUL UCF KNIGHT OF 2016!

Got the acceptance call from REL today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As a reapplicant to everyone else who is waiting to hear back or who didnt get in this cycle: Hang in there and try again if you miss this time. The harder it is to get, the sweeter the taste of success!!

Curious if anyone has UCF's first match list? Always interesting to see how the first class of a new school fairs in the match.

I'm pretty sure that the application process and matching for residency programs occurs during the 4th year. The charter class at UCF is in their 3rd year.

Does UCF keep a video archive of their lecture material? I have visited some other med schools that post lectures online an hour or two after the lecture finishes so if you can't make class you at can just access a video of the lecture. Anyone know? Thanks

Two more days until all will be revealed! I am so freaking nervous about finding out if I got in. Good Luck to everyone, hope to hear good news from all of you!

Two more days until all will be revealed! I am so freaking nervous about finding out if I got in. Good Luck to everyone, hope to hear good news from all of you!

Goodluck....but dont get overly anxious cuz i think the class is 98% full....the most movement on the alternate list will probably happen right after the second look and when students have already found out how much financial aid they'll be getting...before May 15...

yes they have video streaming but if you mean by archive do they have previous years material accessible to you I don't know. But yes they are on board with all the technologies including videostreaming of lectures.

So in that case, I'll assume class attendance isn't mandatory right? also I wish ucf will switch to P/F in the very near future....

I'd assume its like other schools that have some required sessions for special things like patient panels but otherwise not so.

I am not a M1 at UCF but i interviewed there and talked to REL and asked him point blank about this at a med school forum some years back. So I'm going based on that.

badancil if you get this you can feel free to comment some more.

Badancil is M1 at UCF. So is chastyre if she still posts on here and jlquick. Not sure if any of them post on here though anymore.

Thanks for chiming in....I know ur not a M1 @ ucf cuz i followed ur posts and other few sdners last cycle...btw how s life in michigan n hope ur classes r not too demanding....

Goodluck....but dont get overly anxious cuz i think the class is 98% full....the most movement on the alternate list will probably happen right after the second look and when students have already found out how much financial aid they'll be getting...before May 15...

More like 90% full.....tomorrow will fill it. I wish all of you well.

I guess it is Tuesday and Wednesday.

Last edited:
So in that case, I'll assume class attendance isn't mandatory right? also I wish ucf will switch to P/F in the very near future....

Dr. German and a few other administrators thoroughly explained why UCF chooses to not be pass/fail for the mean time during my interview. Even though at first it may seem like unnecessary stress, I believe that they do it because they have the student's best interest in mind in terms of national competitiveness. I waiting to hear back tomorrow with the last few interview groups. Good luck to all!

Dr. German and a few other administrators thoroughly explained why UCF chooses to not be pass/fail for the mean time during my interview. Even though at first it may seem like unnecessary stress, I believe that they do it because they have the student's best interest in mind in terms of national competitiveness. I waiting to hear back tomorrow with the last few interview groups. Good luck to all!

at the very best their argument seems weak cuz each student's competitiveness will be judged by PD against all other students from P/F schools (majority) across the nation....so I think its a lil bit presumptuous for them to think using letter grade will offer some kind of competitive edge to ucf medstudents when applying for residency...If im not mistaking, i remember them saying something along the line that they use letter grade cuz it's unfair to a student that comes to class everyday n study hard but only to receive a pass in the class n couldn't score high on step exams when there's another student that skips class n also pass but score really high on step board...but here is the catch...i dont think anyone can fathom the idea that someone that comes to class everyday n study hard enough to get A's in all of his/her classes will have trouble gettin a decent/competitive score on the board exams that are more than anything likely to dictate the kind of residency program u can match....in any case it seems the only neutral standardized measuring tool PDs use to screen out students is step scores.....

at the very best their argument seems weak cuz each student's competitiveness will be judged by PD against all other students from P/F schools (majority) across the nation....so I think its a lil bit presumptuous for them to think using letter grade will offer some kind of competitive edge to ucf medstudents when applying for residency...If im not mistaking, i remember them saying something along the line that they use letter grade cuz it's unfair to a student that comes to class everyday n study hard but only to receive a pass in the class n couldn't score high on step exams when there's another student that skips class n also pass but score really high on step board...but here is the catch...i dont think anyone can fathom the idea that someone that comes to class everyday n study hard enough to get A's in all of his/her classes will have trouble gettin a decent/competitive score on the board exams that are more than anything likely to dictate the kind of residency program u can match....in any case it seems the only neutral standardized measuring tool PDs use to screen out students is step scores.....
I remember hearing (correct me if I am wrong) classes are not based on curve, so I dont think students are really competing against each other. Also, a lot of schools do not have true p/f system. They have excellent/great/marginal/pass and so forth. So in the end, I think it's the same.

I remember hearing (correct me if I am wrong) classes are not based on curve, so I dont think students are really competing against each other. Also, a lot of schools do not have true p/f system. They have excellent/great/marginal/pass and so forth. So in the end, I think it's the same.

my memory is currently not serving me right...so i cant really speak to that...only hope some of the current students will frequent this thread n help clarify/answer our qs...yeah, ur right that most schools do not have true p/f system...i jus feel like letter grading promote the kind of bickering n unhealthy competition that arises among students with d mindset of 'race to the top'....esp. since medicine is a team-oriented profession that requires students to integrate n share ideas...it's probably one of the reasons schools r now switching to p/f system....

Just got the call from REL, Accepted!! I must have sounded like an idiot on the phone because I was sleepy but I am very excited!

Last edited:
He called you already? I thought that wasn't until tomorrow...Man now I am very anxious...

Congrats though

I made a few calls tonight and will make the bulk of them tomorrow. Yes it's earlier than I projected and tomorrow was the day, but since I will be leaving on a trip tomorrow I wanted to lessen my load. I will make the remainder of the calls tomorrow between 9-noon EST. Rest easy everyone.

I also received the acceptance call! Before I attended the interview, I thought I knew where I was going to spend the next four years. However, I absolutely loved UCF and especially Dean German. Decisions...decisions...

Congratulations to all others who have been accepted!

Status
Not open for further replies.