2011-2012 University of Central Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got the call a couple of days ago for an interview, I hope you also get one of the spots.
:luck: to everyone still waiting!

Congrats! Thank you for the well wishes, but I'm preparing myself for massive disappointment. Going into it, UCF was the only school in FL I thought I'd get to interview at. lol

Haha... I guess I knew what you meant, and it just reminded me how I'm still pissed off at myself for not getting my secondaries done ASAP.... so I took it out on your grammar. Sorry! :oops:

It wasn't my post, so no worries. Just don't mind me ending my comment above with a preposition ;).

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats! Thank you for the well wishes, but I'm preparing myself for massive disappointment. Going into it, UCF was the only school in FL I thought I'd get to interview at. lol

Keep positive and do not worry about that interview.

How do you prefer UCF over FIU? Is this because you are from Orlando?

I love FIU, but yeah, I grew up within walking distance of UCF, have family that went there, etc. (there are also many specific aspects of the school that I like). Just didn't want to go to undergrad there.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

And at UCF they give you an iPad 2 when you start... I'm just kidding that that would be anyone's reason... but, I'm sure it gets on some people's pro/con list :)

And at UCF they give you an iPad 2 when you start... I'm just kidding that that would be anyone's reason... but, I'm sure it gets on some people's pro/con list :)

Just to clarify the inherent impression of ur statement, it's NOT ucf that provides the ipads to incoming students, it's an independent community patron who makes this donation to the school @ his/her discretion.....

Apparently they do not give people who apply late in the process equal consideration.
Inquire as to why rejected and the response mentioned the fact the application was not received until January 2012.

I would like to start out by saying that I am not on the admissions committee, nor do they care what my opinion is on what they do (or even ask for it).

Medical school is a privilege, There are tens of thousands of students who apply every year only half get in. This does not count the people who couldn't even keep their grades up enough in premed to consider applying, because they knew they wouldn't have a shot (and are equally as awesome as the rest of us)

Some students (my friends, actually) are on their third round of applying. This is many peoples dream, and it will NOT become all of those peoples reality.

If I am an admissions committee and I see that you waited until the last minute to turn in your application, despite the wealth of information out there that says DONT DO THAT, I will instantly think that you valued something above your application.

It may be very likely that I am wrong, and you had something insane happen to you that year that prevented you from getting it in on time. This does happen.

More likely? and more true in my experience advising pre-meds (yes I have done that) having friends who applied, and getting to know other premeds and med students stories. It often means that you were told to take your MCAT early. You didnt. You were told when to begin asking for letters of Rec (at least the spring of junior year, hopefully earlier) and you waited until october. You were told to fill out your AMCAS as early as possible, and have your transcripts submitted as early as possible. You waited until the fall. You were told to fill out secondaries within a week of receiving them, and submit them ASAP. You didnt. You received an interview invite, and didnt schedule it immediately, instead you let it sit in your inbox so you could let your mom look for the best plane ticket deal on any of the dates. she took weeks, and by the time you tried to schedule it, all the interviews were gone until the end of the season (yes this actually happened to someone).

and if you didnt know to do these things, then this must be your first time on this website. If it is this late in the season and youre just finding this out, then you should have researched more what you needed to do to be competitive.

I know that may sound harsh. but its really not. its just the game we played. I played it too, and it sucked. Its alot of silly hoops to jump through.

When you apply to medical school, you are officially competing against some of the smartest, most motivated students in the country. IT SHOULD BE TAKEN INTO ACCOUNT if you slack on getting the basics done.

and even without them considering that you waited until january (amcas opens in june, can be sent in july, and secondaries are sent out starting in september). No matter what you have put yourself at an instant (and VERY significant) disadvantage by applying that late.

To be honest, if I was an interviewer, and I knew that you had applied that late, my first question would be "if you really want to come to medical school, why would you stack the (numerical) odds so far against yourself when you just needed to turn stuff in earlier?"

and yes, if you plan correctly, you can get all your letters in on time.

I sincerely hope you get in this cycle. I really do. Because i know many friends who applied late, but were excellent students, people, and who will make wonderful doctors. But many of them have to reapply, and they are all turning their stuff in much earlier this time. When you have the choice between awesome-but-late, and awesome-but-early, you choose awesome but early every time.

THESE ARE THE STATEMENTS OF A MEDICAL STUDENT WHO HAS BEEN STUDYING FOR AN EXAM FOR THREE DAYS STRAIGHT 12 HOURS A DAY, AND SHOULD BE TAKEN WITH A GRAIN OF SALT BECAUSE HE IS LIKELY CLINICALLY INSANE AT THIS POINT (AND HAS FOUR MORE DAYS OF STUDYING TO GO)

best of luck everyone. I hope for an acceptance fiesta for everyone in the coming days.

-AJ

Just to clarify the inherent impression of ur statement, it's NOT ucf that provides the ipads to incoming students, it's an independent community patron who makes this donation to the school @ his/her discretion.....

I thank the ginsburg foundation every day when i carry around one ipad that weighs just a few pounds, instead of 8 books that outweigh me (and im hefty)

Thanks for posting these questions. I have the same as well.

Thanks in advance for giving us some insight!

I chose UCF because of the attitude of every administrator, staff member, and student I met while there, and while choosing the school.

I took a look around at the students faces, everyone seemed happy, and like they werent secretly gunning for each other.

The teachers i met seemed awesome, social, and intelligent.

The Support staff (fin aid, student affairs) was infinitly helpful during the summer before school when i was making my choices.

All of these things proved to be true.

The curriculum is challenging but amazing
and the teachers are the best.

The commute is 5 minutes for m1s and m2s, they live just down the street from the school.

The M3s and M4s (well, next year at least) mostly live downtown, in places very close to the teaching hospitals (ORMC and Florida Hospital) which are awesome. (especially ORMC)

VA and Nemours will be completed soon, so some rotations may move to VA, but nemours specific nature means that it will not be avaialble for much as far as rotations, maybe some electives. Unfortunately, neonatal neurosurgery and cancer stuff isnt really at the top of the list when it comes to things you NEED to know at the end of med school.

Its really just a school that is focused on the students, from top to bottom. and it is also focused on giving us every opportunity to succeed they can. Its a nice system where our success in our endeavors is directly related to their success as a new medical school. They take that seriously.

anyway, hope this helped
-AJ

I would like to start out by saying that I am not on the admissions committee, nor do they care what my opinion is on what they do (or even ask for it).

Medical school is a privilege, There are tens of thousands of students who apply every year only half get in. This does not count the people who couldn't even keep their grades up enough in premed to consider applying, because they knew they wouldn't have a shot (and are equally as awesome as the rest of us)

Some students (my friends, actually) are on their third round of applying. This is many peoples dream, and it will NOT become all of those peoples reality.

If I am an admissions committee and I see that you waited until the last minute to turn in your application, despite the wealth of information out there that says DONT DO THAT, I will instantly think that you valued something above your application.

It may be very likely that I am wrong, and you had something insane happen to you that year that prevented you from getting it in on time. This does happen.

More likely? and more true in my experience advising pre-meds (yes I have done that) having friends who applied, and getting to know other premeds and med students stories. It often means that you were told to take your MCAT early. You didnt. You were told when to begin asking for letters of Rec (at least the spring of junior year, hopefully earlier) and you waited until october. You were told to fill out your AMCAS as early as possible, and have your transcripts submitted as early as possible. You waited until the fall. You were told to fill out secondaries within a week of receiving them, and submit them ASAP. You didnt. You received an interview invite, and didnt schedule it immediately, instead you let it sit in your inbox so you could let your mom look for the best plane ticket deal on any of the dates. she took weeks, and by the time you tried to schedule it, all the interviews were gone until the end of the season (yes this actually happened to someone).

and if you didnt know to do these things, then this must be your first time on this website. If it is this late in the season and youre just finding this out, then you should have researched more what you needed to do to be competitive.

I know that may sound harsh. but its really not. its just the game we played. I played it too, and it sucked. Its alot of silly hoops to jump through.

When you apply to medical school, you are officially competing against some of the smartest, most motivated students in the country. IT SHOULD BE TAKEN INTO ACCOUNT if you slack on getting the basics done.

and even without them considering that you waited until january (amcas opens in june, can be sent in july, and secondaries are sent out starting in september). No matter what you have put yourself at an instant (and VERY significant) disadvantage by applying that late.

To be honest, if I was an interviewer, and I knew that you had applied that late, my first question would be "if you really want to come to medical school, why would you stack the (numerical) odds so far against yourself when you just needed to turn stuff in earlier?"

and yes, if you plan correctly, you can get all your letters in on time.

I sincerely hope you get in this cycle. I really do. Because i know many friends who applied late, but were excellent students, people, and who will make wonderful doctors. But many of them have to reapply, and they are all turning their stuff in much earlier this time. When you have the choice between awesome-but-late, and awesome-but-early, you choose awesome but early every time.

THESE ARE THE STATEMENTS OF A MEDICAL STUDENT WHO HAS BEEN STUDYING FOR AN EXAM FOR THREE DAYS STRAIGHT 12 HOURS A DAY, AND SHOULD BE TAKEN WITH A GRAIN OF SALT BECAUSE HE IS LIKELY CLINICALLY INSANE AT THIS POINT (AND HAS FOUR MORE DAYS OF STUDYING TO GO)

best of luck everyone. I hope for an acceptance fiesta for everyone in the coming days.

-AJ

First of all I hope you do very well on your exam. Do not over study. It is possible to study too much.
The letter was requested in July. It was a peer letter from his assistant manger at work.
She kept telling him I am working on it and then her husband was deployed to iIraq.
He told ms she wrote a 5 or 6 page letter.
Did not do premed. Went back to school to do prereqs. Self done postbac.
UCF sent a form letter. The issue about the filing came up when inquired as to why. The responder in the admissions office made the remark about the date. She made it sound like the class was already full.

Right now an interview would be great.

Best of luck to everyone

Last edited:
PS
Yes it is a privilege and I can understand early applications getting first consideration.
I am not an applicant but I really do not see what purpose peer letters serve. Heck a lot of stuff you are require to do have nothing to do with being a good physician.
Short of a miracle a third application cycle will be coming up. Plans to approve application

Retake Organic 2 and Biochemistry and a couple of other classes over the summer.
Make an appointment with UCF's admission staff and discuss his application. You do have great staff.
Get new letters and rewrite PS.

(amcas opens in june, can be sent in july, and secondaries are sent out starting in september). The AMCAS was submitted in July

I know some of you are waiting for a really fantastic Valentine ( interview invite or acceptance) and honestly I have looked at your Mdapplicants page and do not see any reason you have not been interviewed. Blessing and best wishes to everyone.

Last edited:
Have all interview spots been filled at this point?

Probably just a few since there were calls last week. I don't think its over until the "Thank you for your interest..." email

PS
I am not an applicant but I really do not see what purpose peer letters serve.

(amcas opens in june, can be sent in july, and secondaries are sent out starting in september)

Thanks for your kind words!

Just to clarify though, I do not believe UCF required a peer letter. They asked for two character references, but I did not have any peer letters (rather from a community MD and lab PI). I guess I am fortunate that my pre-med committee made us have our PS done and LORs requested by April 1. Also, I am a non-trad student (graduated in 2008), but your pre-med committee should still help their students, both past and present (they collected and submitted all of my letters to AMCAS). I started getting everything together for my application in January 2011.

Also - to clarify timing of the application for next year -- the AMCAS can be submitted on June 1. I was verified by mid-June, completed secondaries July/August, and began interviewing in September. Also, I took the MCAT on July 16 (but had submitted everything) and still got invited for early interviews... so getting applications in early really does have benefits.

Members don't see this ad :)
As per peer letter, that is only required by UF med in Fl. Dont' think other schools required one so much as a character letter which anyone who has worked with you or you shadowed or whatever could write.

UF doesn't even require a peer letter anymore. I'd had a friend write one because I saw the admissions requirements from last cycle, but now they've also switched to character letters.

UF doesn't even require a peer letter anymore. I'd had a friend write one because I saw the admissions requirements from last cycle, but now they've also switched to character letters.
Okay it was a character letter from his assistant manager at work. She wrote him last year but I guess she did save it. He also had his volunteer supervisor from Mayo send one. Hers was received much earlier.

Some of you may have a future as admissions counselors

And do appreciate UCF's willings to help applicants unlike another school in Florida who has section dedicated to reapplicants that says don't bother us we don't have time to talk to you

I thank the ginsburg foundation every day when i carry around one ipad that weighs just a few pounds, instead of 8 books that outweigh me (and im hefty)

Do they have to be returned to the school at the end of the 4 years?

Just received my interview invite! SUPER EXCITED! See yall there march 9th!

First of all I hope you do very well on your exam. Do not over study. It is possible to study too much.
The letter was requested in July. It was a peer letter from his assistant manger at work.
She kept telling him I am working on it and then her husband was deployed to iIraq.
He told ms she wrote a 5 or 6 page letter.
Did not do premed. Went back to school to do prereqs. Self done postbac.
UCF sent a form letter. The issue about the filing came up when inquired as to why. The responder in the admissions office made the remark about the date. She made it sound like the class was already full.

Right now an interview would be great.

Best of luck to everyone

I feel you, I went back to school to do my stuff to. When i say premed, i mean prerequisite classes. I went back after a year in the workforce. Its hard as crap. but still managed to squeeze it all in. One thing i did, was I asked for 6 LOR even though i really only needed like 3 or 4. This way I knew if a couple people slacked, i would still have enough. I mean, i definitly wanted some more than others, but i found it prudent to cover my ass. especially in a category where the rate limiting step is in someone elses hands.

I really do wish you the best of luck. I hope everything works out well.

As far as studying goes. heres my take home points from the HB-2 exam.
dont get diabetes
Dont get a pituitary adenoma
Reproduction is cool
cranial nerves are both cool, and fragile.
and please, for the love of God. Take care of your kidney, they do so much crap its not even funny.

good luck to everyone. i hope you all get accepted everywhere you applied!

-AJ

As far as studying goes. heres my take home points from the HB-2 exam.
dont get diabetes
Dont get a pituitary adenoma
Reproduction is cool
cranial nerves are both cool, and fragile.
and please, for the love of God. Take care of your kidney, they do so much crap its not even funny.

-AJ

Haha, I like this. I'm looking forward to med school :D

rejected pre-interview about a minute ago

That call I was waiting for came from REL, and he was saying that I am on the lower third of the wait list...not much movement until may? Maybe I have a slim chance at UCF and that is fine...I am feeling my Masters program options getting more realistic from today's point of view!

REL- how many instate and OOS students have been accepted so far? Thank you.

Rejected pre-interview today. Very disappointed, and a bit surprised even though I'd started to anticipate it. Best of luck to everyone.

Rejected pre-interview today. Very disappointed, and a bit surprised even though I'd started to anticipate it. Best of luck to everyone.

Im sorry to hear that. Hopefully, things will work out at another school you like. Were you notifies via email/phone call?

Im sorry to hear that. Hopefully, things will work out at another school you like. Were you notifies via email/phone call?

E-mail stating that it wasn't me, it was them; that there's more fish in the sea, and that it's always darkest before dawn. They love me, but aren't IN love with me. ;)

E-mail stating that it wasn't me, it was them; that there's more fish in the sea, and that it's always darkest before dawn. They love me, but aren't IN love with me. ;)

I too am sorry you did not get an interview. At least you do have some place to attend which is something to be thankful for.
Are you still in limbo with the other schools in Florida.

I too am sorry you did not get an interview. At least you do have some place to attend which is something to be thankful for.
Are you still in limbo with the other schools in Florida.

Thank you for your kind words. Yeah, I am very grateful for what I have and don't want to seem like I am not. I am still in limbo at other schools, and am not expecting any more news this cycle. I do believe that USF and UM are known to invite into March though. Good luck to you guys with upcoming interviews at UCF!

Sorry man. Soo with these recent interview invites/rejections, I'm either at the line of no return or someone forgot to contact me about rejection lol.

Sorry man. Soo with these recent interview invites/rejections, I'm either at the line of no return or someone forgot to contact me about rejection lol.

Called the office today and apparently the rejection emails are going out in batches this week.

I'm getting really nervous about UCF! I don't hear for another few weeks, but the more I read on here the more scared I get...I really loved this place and would love love love a spot :/ Thank goodness for the transparency of the process tho we <3 REL!!

So they're done interviewing then? No more interview invites for UCF?

I anticipate that the final interview invites for our final March 9 date will be completed today. We will keep a small cadre of "ready replacements" in the event of a cancellation of our Feb 24, Mar 2, or Mar 9 interview dates. Other than that, everyone will be getting an email that I do not have a great desire to send and you do not have a great desire to receive.

I anticipate that the final interview invites for our final March 9 date will be completed today. We will keep a small cadre of "ready replacements" in the event of a cancellation of our Feb 24, Mar 2, or Mar 9 interview dates. Other than that, everyone will be getting an email that I do not have a great desire to send and you do not have a great desire to receive.

1st movement only.
[YOUTUBE]JEBTjYcALUo[/YOUTUBE]

it's already 1 PM and still no e-mail. :(

Buddy of mine missed a call from REL...at least a couple of you still should be glass half-full :)

I too was bottom-waitlisted yesterday. Seems like the later groups are getting less love.

They will probably come later today. I was rejected around 7pm a couple weeks ago.
lol I meant for an II though. doubtful at this point
Sorry to hear that. What a way to ruin an evening. I think Boston also sent out my rejection e-mail in the evening.

Oh lol, sorry for being a Debbie Downer! Boston rejected me around lunchtime. I was taking a break from writing my manuscript when I received it.

lol I meant for an II though. doubtful at this point
Sorry to hear that. What a way to ruin an evening. I think Boston also sent out my rejection e-mail in the evening.

Buddy of mine missed a call from REL...at least a couple of you still should be glass half-full :)

This is true! I received a call from REL Larkin today and when I called back I was invited to interview! They only had the 24th of February open so I'll have to make last minute travel arrangements but I'm extremely thankful to have the opportunity to see and interview at UCF and to experience its awesomeness first hand. Hope you guys get good news!!

Status
Not open for further replies.