2011-2012 University of Chicago (Pritzker) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey I have yet to receive the secondary and I have been verified for a while now. I have received Cornell' secondary and got the fee request from Mayo.

This made it work for me too. Try it.

Also, I'm not verified yet, but I got their secondary, so watch out for it if you have submitted.

same here. got it this morn

are the prompts same as last year. didnt create an account yet

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I have yet to receive the secondary and I have been verified for a while now. I have received Cornell' secondary and got the fee request from Mayo.

Yup I'm in the same boat.

Yup I'm in the same boat.

Be sure to check your spam folder or your trash in the event your mail server considers it spam and sends it directly to one of those two places.

Do you guys have the same secondary questions we had last year?

Be sure to check your spam folder or your trash in the event your mail server considers it spam and sends it directly to one of those two places.

Yeah, around the beginning of July last year I remembering checking my spam folder and finding out that Pritzker had sent me a link to their secondary some 4 weeks ago, lol

Their FAQ section says to include all traffic violations more severe than a parking ticket. Obviously that means include speeding tickets, which I find to be silly. For you former applicants, did you include this?

Anyone else having trouble still logging into the secondary? I have tried clicking on the link, copying and pasting the link, various browsers, and still nothing to show for it. The message I get says...

"The AAMC ID, Last Name, Birthdate, and E-mail Address you entered did not result in a match for the 2011 Application Cycle. Please be sure that you are using the values you provided on your AMCAS application and try again. If you are sure of your values you may also try your AMCAS alternate e-mail address."

Anyone have any suggestions? I think I might have to just contact them and let them know my issue.

Their FAQ section says to include all traffic violations more severe than a parking ticket. Obviously that means include speeding tickets, which I find to be silly. For you former applicants, did you include this?

I wouldn't mess around with it - just include it. If it's nothing more than a speeding ticket, I doubt it'll have any impact on your application.

same as last year i believe

"At the University of Chicago in an atmosphere of interdisciplinary scholarship and discovery, the Pritzker School of Medicine is dedicated to inspiring diverse students of exceptional promise to become leaders and innovators in science and medicine for the betterment of humanity."

Essay Question 1. Our Mission Statement above is an expression of our core purpose and educational philosophy. Please reflect on its content and write an essay describing why you see yourself as a great "fit" for Pritzker. We suggest that you limit your essay to about 550 words.

Essay Question 2. Tell us about a difficult or challenging situation you have encountered and how you dealt with it. In your response, identify both the coping skills you called upon to resolve the dilemma, and the support person(s) from whom you sought advice. We suggest that you limit your essay to about 400 words.

Can someone paste the link into the thread for the people that have no received it yet? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, those are indeed the same questions. Thanks for posting them - just wanted to make sure before people that don't have access to the secondary work on last year's prompts without being sure that those are the actual questions.

Nothing. I just received the secondary invitation from Yale... Still nothing from this amazing school. I am a URM do you think that will play a factor?

Nothing. I just received the secondary invitation from Yale... Still nothing from this amazing school. I am a URM do you think that will play a factor?

I think being a URM plays a factor in all schools.

Still no secondary for me either...

Nevermind, they sent me an email this morning. I was verified by Monday morning though, so it took a while.

About Q1:

At first I interpreted the question as both "Why Pritzker" and "Why me". Now I am just interpreting it as "Why me". I suppose I could answer the "Why Pritzker" segment in the Additional Comments section. Anyone care to comment?

Personally I would try to integrate both. I think the FOCUS should be on you, but in answering the question you do, in a way, answer the "why Pritzker" question indirectly.

I'm not sure if that helped, but hopefully it did. Go with your gut and whatever you think is the best answer you can give.

Personally I would try to integrate both. I think the FOCUS should be on you, but in answering the question you do, in a way, answer the "why Pritzker" question indirectly.

I'm not sure if that helped, but hopefully it did. Go with your gut and whatever you think is the best answer you can give.

Thanks, Nick. I'll just go with my intuition and see what I come up with.

Thanks, Nick. I'll just go with my intuition and see what I come up with.

That's all you can do. Just make sure you write a quality response. In my uninformed opinion, I think this is a very important question that they place great importance on. This isn't the sort of thing that you should write in an afternoon and send off without reviewing (advice for everyone, not just you).

That's all you can do. Just make sure you write a quality response. In my uninformed opinion, I think this is a very important question that they place great importance on. This isn't the sort of thing that you should write in an afternoon and send off without reviewing (advice for everyone, not just you).

Right. Well, onto it for me.

this is the hardest secondary essay ever

I'm having trouble conceptualizing how to write it without it sounding like a dumptruck full of bull****.

Haha. Yea, the essay is set up in a way that they will probably get a ton of fluff. I'm just trying to be as sincere as possible...

this is the hardest secondary essay ever

Don't worry, it's a tough one. It took me about a week to write responses that I was happy with. Definitely much longer than any other secondary.

By the way, last year the app didn't care about the character limit, so if you're super concerned about it, don't be. I think my final response to the mission statement question was 4200 characters and the limit was 3500. Obviously I don't recommend needlessly going over the limit, but I don't think that's anything you need to be freaked out. And of course that's assuming they didn't fix the app.

Don't worry, it's a tough one. It took me about a week to write responses that I was happy with. Definitely much longer than any other secondary.

By the way, last year the app didn't care about the character limit, so if you're super concerned about it, don't be. I think my final response to the mission statement question was 4200 characters and the limit was 3500. Obviously I don't recommend needlessly going over the limit, but I don't think that's anything you need to be freaked out. And of course that's assuming they didn't fix the app.

Yea they just "suggest" those limits on the new app. I think the same loose rules apply this year.

no pritzker secondary yet (and not in my spam folder either) and my amcas was verified 6/6.

anyone else?

none for me, either, although i've already received seven others. thanks to those who posted the essays; i'll definitely be getting a head start on these

I called them today because I haven't gotten a secondary yet, either. They told me that they were having problems with their system getting overloaded, so they decided to stagger the secondaries. They're planning to send them all out within the next 2-3 business days.

Submitted. It's a hail mary for me, but it was worth it. :)

Did anyone get the secondary today? I was verified 6/2 and still don't have it... Hmm.

Did anyone get the secondary today? I was verified 6/2 and still don't have it... Hmm.

I got it and I haven't been verified. Not that me telling you this is going to make you feel better.

Check your spam folder. Most of us received it a bit ago.
I checked my spam folder but no dice, that's why I was wondering whats up with the secondary. :oops: Should I email/call admissions tomorrow and ask?

I checked my spam folder but no dice, that's why I was wondering whats up with the secondary. :oops: Should I email/call admissions tomorrow and ask?

If it makes you feel any better, I have not received it either..

When did you guys submit your primary? I got the secondary like the day after.. gave me the impression that Chicago doesn't screen (like GWU). I'm an alum though so maybe that's why I got a free pass.

My primary hasn't been verified and I got one, so you're not special.

When did you guys submit your primary? I got the secondary like the day after.. gave me the impression that Chicago doesn't screen (like GWU). I'm an alum though so maybe that's why I got a free pass.
I submitted my primary 6/2 and was verified 6/7. I've gotten like 12 other secondaries already so I think I am just going to call them tomorrow and ask.

Hi Nick,

When you wrote your response, did you focus heavily on any ECs listed in your primary application? I've been having trouble with the mission statement question.. I'm not sure how to tackle the "leader and innovators" part without repeating stuff that's already been talked about in my primary app (I also have no leadership experience in clubs bleh).. thanks! This secondary is definitely a toughy.

To be honest it was so long ago that I don't really remember the particulars. I would think that you would mention your ECs as it would be hard to demonstrate how you jive with the mission statement without mentioning your history, but I don't think you necessarily need to dwell on your past activities.

I know that doesn't really help much - I apologize. Just do your best.

if AMCAS has already received and submitted our LORs to schools, should the Pritzker secondary site show the "Recs" box highlighted, even if we haven't yet submitted the secondary essays etc???

if AMCAS has already received and submitted our LORs to schools, should the Pritzker secondary site show the "Recs" box highlighted, even if we haven't yet submitted the secondary essays etc???

Only if the school has started downloading letters (which I would not expect this early). Also, I believe that information is entered manually - i.e., the "Recs" box isn't checked off when the school receives your letters electronically - so it's delayed by a few days once the school DOES receive the letters. This is mentioned somewhere in their application FAQ, which I linked to previously.

Hey, dpsPanda, when I did my secondary last year, I did talk about EC activities for both of the essay questions, but I made sure not to be repetitive. I used the secondary questions as an opportunity to further elaborate on what I learned from my experiences and tied them into their relevance to being a good fit for Pritzker.

Also, don't feel like you need to address each part of the mission statement with a full paragraph. Emphasize the parts of it that really resonate with you. I believe it is most important to write in a coherent, easy to follow way that shows your personality.

Hi Nick,

When you wrote your response, did you focus heavily on any ECs listed in your primary application? I've been having trouble with the mission statement question.. I'm not sure how to tackle the "leader and innovators" part without repeating stuff that's already been talked about in my primary app (I also have no leadership experience in clubs bleh).. thanks! This secondary is definitely a toughy.

I agree with what's been said so far about not repeating info that's already on your primary.

In my response, I mentioned three different aspects of my file that corresponded to three parts of the mission statement. I described my research interests (scholarship), my family background (diversity), and my service work (betterment of humanity). Even though my research and service experiences are listed on the primary, I wrote about them in different ways. For example, for research, I didn't talk about past projects I had participated in (since I already did so in the primary) - I talked about what I had learned from my minor and threw out some ideas I wanted to explore when doing research at Pritzker. (It probably helps if you mention how you'd like to take advantage of the potential for interdisciplinary work ;) ) For volunteering, I focused less on what I actually DID (again, since this is described in the primary) and focused more on what I learned and what it made me hope to do in the future.

I used the second essay to talk about a hobby that I didn't describe in much detail in my primary. Actually, I more or less copy-pasted my Michigan "what are you passionate about" essay, haha.

Hope that helps a bit. Good luck everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.