2011-2012 University of South Alabama Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone heard anything from South? It's been sooo slow on here lately!

Btw, my check for the secondary still hasn't been cashed and it's been a few weeks. I dropped my app and check off at the admissions office so I known they received it. Is this pretty normal or should I call about it?

Members don't see this ad.

My check has not been cashed either, but I was told that my application is complete.

Has anyone heard anything from South? It's been sooo slow on here lately!

Btw, my check for the secondary still hasn't been cashed and it's been a few weeks. I dropped my app and check off at the admissions office so I known they received it. Is this pretty normal or should I call about it?

if i remember correctly, it took them a little over 3 weeks to cash my check.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well that's good to know. I'm just so ready to hear something! Already tired of playing the "hurry up and wait" game. lol

Got my acceptance letter in today. Interview date was November 9

my check was cashed 4 days away and I submitted on OCt 21

Yeah, they finally cashed mine as well.

got an interview invite!!!!

Congrats!!! Sounds like we were complete around the same time at South and UAB. Glad to hear some activity at both schools. Here's to hoping I hear something soon as well:xf:

Are FIVE letters of recommendation really required if you don't have a committee letter packet/composite evaluation? The secondary (which I already submitted) says three (3) letters from science faculty AND two (2) personal recommendation letters. Did all of you submit a letter packet from your undergrad school or FIVE letters? When I applied through AMCAS I looked at USA COM's website and this is not stated anywhere... So by the time I am receiving the secondary and this information it is quite late...

???

PS: I have only 3 letters which fit these requirements, by the way (2 from sci. faculty and 1 personal).

I mean... I applied to 19 schools, and this is the only one that requires more than 3!

I submitted a committee letter (including letters from advisor, 2 science, and 1 non-sci.) plus a few letters from docs I know. I'm not too sure what of the protocol if you don't submit something from your undergraduate school. Probably would be best to call and find out for sure what they need from you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary Submitted: 10/15
Interview Invite (prior to submission of LORs): 10/21
Interview: 11/16
Acceptance: 11/23

Secondary Submitted: 10/21
Invite:11/28
Interview: 12/14
Acceptance: 12/19

GL everyone! Instate

Im planning on applying here late on in my undergrad career, could any of you accepted IS-ers share your GPA and MCAT with me? Thanks so much!

Im planning on applying here late on in my undergrad career, could any of you accepted IS-ers share your GPA and MCAT with me? Thanks so much!

Aim for a GPA of 3.7 and an MCAT score of 30. Those are pretty much the averages for both schools in Alabama.

its more than just GPA and MCAT

i got accepted with a 3.6 (BME major) and a 28 (7 VR, 11 PS, 10 BS). My numbers make me not too competitive but I did A LOT of EC's.

you have to show that you actually have the heart to do medicine by volunteering and shadowing.

just got an interview invite for jan 25th any tips? like do they have access to our gpa/mcat or is it like uab's blind interview? Do I still have good chance of acceptance with a jan interview?

just got an interview invite for jan 25th any tips? like do they have access to our gpa/mcat or is it like uab's blind interview? Do I still have good chance of acceptance with a jan interview?

What was your GPA and MCAT?

I got an interview on Jan 25 as well. The interviewers do have access to your mcat and gpa.

Also, early applicants or highly competitive applicants do get sooner interviews. At the end of your interview you get a score [which is calculated using mcat (30%), gpa (30%), and interview (40%)]. If your score is above a set number, then you get an acceptance. This number gets lowered ON AVERAGE about 2-3x/year.

For example, if your score is 77 and acceptance score is 80, then you will get waitlisted. Let's say sometime in March the score is lowered to 75, then you get an acceptance. SO... no matter when you have an interview, as long as you pass that number, you will get an acceptance. At other schools who have early acceptance, a very competitive applicant, who has a late interview, might have a harder time getting in versus USA. Basically, having a late interview at USA is not as bad as having a late interview at UAB.

TLDR: USA interview time = not a big deal, UAB interview time = can play a factor on acceptance.

I got an interview on Jan 25 as well. The interviewers do have access to your mcat and gpa.

Also, early applicants or highly competitive applicants do get sooner interviews. At the end of your interview you get a score [which is calculated using mcat (30%), gpa (30%), and interview (40%)]. If your score is above a set number, then you get an acceptance. This number gets lowered ON AVERAGE about 2-3x/year.

For example, if your score is 77 and acceptance score is 80, then you will get waitlisted. Let's say sometime in March the score is lowered to 75, then you get an acceptance. SO... no matter when you have an interview, as long as you pass that number, you will get an acceptance. At other schools who have early acceptance, a very competitive applicant, who has a late interview, might have a harder time getting in versus USA. Basically, having a late interview at USA is not as bad as having a late interview at UAB.

TLDR: USA interview time = not a big deal, UAB interview time = can play a factor on acceptance.

hmm i interviewed very quickly at uab last semester... I guess its been nothing but good so far lol

So how would you calculate that? Could you use that same formula to figure out how well a person has to do on the interviews? It might help a person feel more confident on interview day.

Lets say a person had a 45 MCAT a 4.0 GPA and hasn't interviewed yet.

Would that be ( 100* .3) + (100 * .3) + (x *.4) = 100
45/45 = 100 4.0/4.0 = 100
????

Sorry if that's confusing.

Last edited:
So how would you calculate that? Could you use that same formula to figure out how well a person has to do on the interviews? It might help a person feel more confident on interview day.

Lets say a person had a 45 MCAT a 4.0 GPA and hasn't interviewed yet.

Would that be ( 100* .3) + (100 * .3) + (x *.4) = 100
45/45 = 100 4.0/4.0 = 100
????

Sorry if that's confusing.

if it's calculated that why you'll just have a 60% if you are very socially awkward for studying so much to get a 45 ;)

then you wouldn't apply to south :D. but i don't think it's actually calculated percentwise like you indicated, but OrangeJuice is correct that is what South does.

if it's calculated that why you'll just have a 60% if you are very socially awkward for studying so much to get a 45 ;)

then you wouldn't apply to south :D. but i don't think it's actually calculated percentwise like you indicated, but OrangeJuice is correct that is what South does.

I wish I made a 45 and had a 4.0. I made a 28 and have a 3.0. I applied anyways, and I'm hoping for a chance to interview. But if not, post-bacc/smp and then round two in 2-3 years.

Last edited:
When i apply, i may have stats close to yours. Did you do alot of ECs? sorry for bugging you!

not alot... I would say typical ECs like shadowing, some research, volunteering and clubs etc. But I did spent an entire summer in mobile for an internship

not alot... I would say typical ECs like shadowing, some research, volunteering and clubs etc. But I did spent an entire summer in mobile for an internship

Gottcha. Accepted to UAB?

Gottcha. Accepted to UAB?

I wish... but i got an interview invite like a week and a half after I submitted my secondary application in mid october; apparently the extra time I spent on secondary essays was well worth it lol

so... interviewed last week I should be getting a hold/acceptance letter anytime this week right? i am instate btw

***cricket noise***

so acceptance comes in an envelope while hold card is literally a postcard? I thought they both come in envelopes lol

The hold card is a small postcard and an acceptance is a letter in an envelope.

Quick question for anyone with an opinion. I submitted my secondary on Nov 1st. I emailed USA on December 6th making sure they had everything they needed. They responded saying my file was complete and would hear from them in a month. It has been 2 months now. Should I email them again or just wait? I am obviously running out of time.

I am in-state, 33 MCAT, 3.65 GPA, very good ECs

Quick question for anyone with an opinion. I submitted my secondary on Nov 1st. I emailed USA on December 6th making sure they had everything they needed. They responded saying my file was complete and would hear from them in a month. It has been 2 months now. Should I email them again or just wait? I am obviously running out of time.

I am in-state, 33 MCAT, 3.65 GPA, very good ECs

I don't see why you shouldn't email them again. Some people are just ridiculously neurotic and email admissions multiple times. However it's only your second time, it's been double the amount of time they originally told you, and it is nearing the end if the cycle. I'd say go for it, just be polite and understanding. Good luck with everything.

Rejected Pre-Interview.

I'm an in-state applicant (or at least I thought I was), but my rejection email indicates that I was evaluated as an OOS applicant. Either way, I submitted my secondary on 8/22, and it has been silence until this afternoon. Good luck to everyone else still in the running. :luck:

has the admission thereshold/line been lowered this year at all? does anyone know when do they usually do it? lol

I believe sometime end of march. And it's not something to lol about, this is serious son

I don't see why you shouldn't email them again. Some people are just ridiculously neurotic and email admissions multiple times. However it's only your second time, it's been double the amount of time they originally told you, and it is nearing the end if the cycle. I'd say go for it, just be polite and understanding. Good luck with everything.
I ended up emailing them, and got an interview invite the next day. Anyone else interviewing Wed the 15th?

u wanna take it outside?

:poke:

a1pissedoff.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.