2012-2013 University of Pennsylvania (Perelman) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interview invite popped into my box as I was reading the thread! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can a current student tell me if the happy hour the day before the interview takes place on campus or at a local bar? I currently said that I am attending so that I can talk to students and other interviewees, but I won't be 21 at the time of my interview....so I will definitely change it if we'd be going to a bar!

Can a current student tell me if the happy hour the day before the interview takes place on campus or at a local bar? I currently said that I am attending so that I can talk to students and other interviewees, but I won't be 21 at the time of my interview....so I will definitely change it if we'd be going to a bar!

It's at a local bar, it will only be current students and interviewees. You don't have to drink, just hang out and talk, it's actually a very good way of getting to know the students and can help you feel more comfortable for the interview. I don't remember being carded at this bar unless I ordered drinks.

It's at a local bar, it will only be current students and interviewees. You don't have to drink, just hang out and talk, it's actually a very good way of getting to know the students and can help you feel more comfortable for the interview. I don't remember being carded at this bar unless I ordered drinks.

Thanks for the prompt reply, darkjedi. I will keep it on my schedule then :)

Congrats to those with interviews! Would you mind sharing when you were complete?

Wow I'm so jealous of the invites, Penn is definitely my number one. Congrats though.

Is Perelman non-rolling admissions? MSAR thinks they are but MSAR has also given wrong info before...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

You should definitely try and go to the "happy hour" the night before! They are at local places, but are absolutely under-21 friendly. It's a great opportunity to meet current students and other people on the interview trail.

Reject me already! This was my one Ivy application I sent in for kicks. Hahaha

Sent from my LT28at using SDN Mobile

You(/we) have a loooong way to go for that fate. Namely, end of interview season.

Congrats to all interview invitee's.

You should definitely try and go to the "happy hour" the night before! They are at local places, but are absolutely under-21 friendly. It's a great opportunity to meet current students and other people on the interview trail.
They were actually iffy about it at mad mex last year, remember? they tried to card the whole table when a few people got drinks.

They were actually iffy about it at mad mex last year, remember? they tried to card the whole table when a few people got drinks.

Yeah, I had the same experience at Mad Mex. It's not like they have a bouncer or anything though, so you're still welcome to join everyone even if you can't get a drink. It's definitely a fun time and a nice way to meet some of the other applicants in a stress-free setting.

For non-rolling schools (like Columbia, Harvard, Penn, Cornell, Yale, Duke), does it matter when you submit your secondary at all? Don't they offer interviews only after all applications are in at the secondary deadline in November? I'm confused, what's the hype behind applying as early as possible for these places? Thanks

Last edited:

Yes they have initially tried to card the whole group, but it hasn't actually been an issue. They don't want to lose out on the tip for the whole group and if necessary people would just have to contain their alcoholism for an hour or two.

This should not be a deterrent for anyone considering coming to the happy hour!

Mad Mex is okay. I prefer City Tap.

Sent from my LT28at using SDN Mobile

I prefer Le Bec Fin, but dreams don't always come true.

For non-rolling schools (like Columbia, Harvard, Penn, Cornell, Yale, Duke), does it matter when you submit your secondary at all? Don't they offer interviews only after all applications are in at the secondary deadline in November? I'm confused, what's the hype behind applying as early as possible for these places? Thanks

... Nope, I just received my interview invite so they definitely aren't waiting on all the secondaries! But I was wondering something similar-- since they don't release decisions until March, does it matter when the interview is??

It definitely matters when your submit your secondary. Earlier the better as the interview invites still go out on a rolling basis.

I have also heard that although all decisions are released in March, they may not all be made on a non-rolling basis, at the end of season. I don't know for sure, but some decisions may be made as interviews are being conducted, but only released at the end. But even if that isn't necessarily true, psychologically, for the adcom, early interviews (while a lot of spots are open) will probably appear in a lot more positive light than late interviews (while most spots are probably designated). Also, psychologically, for you, sure feels better to interview early than receive a late interview invite...

Does anyone who's interviewed here have any tips?

Does anyone who's interviewed here have any tips?

I don't have any Penn-specific tips, but just as a general rule, make sure that you know your application inside and out. You will frequently be asked about certain parts of your personal statement and/or activities, and it always helps if you have a little something you can add to what the interviewer already knows from your AMCAS paperwork.

Also, at Penn you will likely have two interviews. Assuming it's like last year's format, you'll have one faculty and one student interview. I'm not sure what the "weighting" of the two interviews is, as I'm new to the school myself, but the student interview is definitely a significant part of the evaluation of your application, so make sure that you don't let your guard down in the student interview just because it isn't a faculty member.

You'll get the hang of interviews after the first one or two, don't worry!

Last edited:
cannot... believe... interview invite for MD/PhD this morning. Found out right before my classes and haven't been able to concentrate the whole day... FINALLY FEELS SO GOOD TO LET IT OUT. I know it is just an interview and still i have a long way to go, but this just made my week!

MSTP invite!! Complete 7/24 The only date they are giving me is 10/25-26.

Last edited:
during what days of the week does upenn conduct MD interviews?

Last edited:
Interview Invite MSTP!! I guess the 10/25 filled up because all I got was 11/8.

What is the focus group of the interviews you guys have? Mine is cell and mol bio.

Me too! Same day as well! Seriously freaking out! Cell and molecular bio as well!

:( ..losing hope for getting a MSTP II from penn.. was completed about the same time as the II recipients so far.. hope they're still considering me for later interviews

:( ..losing hope for getting a MSTP II from penn.. was completed about the same time as the II recipients so far.. hope they're still considering me for later interviews
Accordng to your MDapps, your MCAT is three above mine so I am sure you will get some of those top tier schools MDPhD interviews, but I believe it comes down to research experience of which I have extensive involvement...

But I think you will do really well so don't worry. It is still early in the app. season. Also, curiously, what graduate group did you list? Maybe it is not your graduate group's turn to interview yet?

Accordng to your MDapps, your MCAT is three above mine so I am sure you will get some of those top tier schools MDPhD interviews, but I believe it comes down to research experience of which I have extensive involvement...

But I think you will do really well so don't worry. It is still early in the app. season. Also, curiously, what graduate group did you list? Maybe it is not your graduate group's turn to interview yet?

yes.. my research experience is probably weaker than a lot of other md/phd applicants (just added a little more detail to my MDapps), hope penn will be okay with it since I'm still a senior in college.. I really can't compete with people who did research full time for years.

my group is actually also cell and molecular biology! not very encouraging.. haha putting more hope in other schools..

yes.. my research experience is probably weaker than a lot of other md/phd applicants (just added a little more detail to my MDapps), hope penn will be okay with it since I'm still a senior in college.. I really can't compete with people who did research full time for years.

my group is actually also cell and molecular biology! not very encouraging.. haha putting more hope in other schools..
Actually, just noticed your GPA... that may hold you back. But best of luck with the rest of this season!

haha this is interesting... but best of luck to you too

I'm thinking that post you replied to was sarcastic humor, but in case it wasn't- a 3.9 GPA from UMich will not hold you back from any school that you apply to, Penn MD/PhD included. You have stellar numbers that will make you a competitive applicant anywhere that you have applied. Don't lose hope on that interview. It's still very early! Good luck!!

I'm thinking that post you replied to was sarcastic humor, but in case it wasn't- a 3.9 GPA from UMich will not hold you back from any school that you apply to, Penn MD/PhD included. You have stellar numbers that will make you a competitive applicant anywhere that you have applied. Don't lose hope on that interview. It's still very early! Good luck!!
Haha, yes it was sarcastic... SDN is getting to you people lol

thanks for the encouragements! the waiting game is making us all way too anxious hahaha

Just got an ii, its nice they actually let you pick your date lol...complete around July 20th i think

Status
Not open for further replies.