2013-2014 Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lewybodies

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since I am gonna reapply under this coming intake, please allow me to start the thread for future applicants. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone. I'm a 4th year dental student and going to finish my BDS degree next year. I've decided to change the course of my career from dental to medicine since I find that, through the basic medical science subjects I got in dental school, medicine fascinates me more.

I'm planning to apply to duke-nus this year.

Currently, I'm struggling between studying for the mcat, my clinical activities in dental school, and my part-time job. Sometimes, I feel it is impossible to them all. :D

Btw, I'm preparing MCAT using the berkeley review. What do you guys think?

I have started to apply for the 2014 intake too!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone. I'm a 4th year dental student and going to finish my BDS degree next year. I've decided to change the course of my career from dental to medicine since I find that, through the basic medical science subjects I got in dental school, medicine fascinates me more.

Currently, I'm struggling between studying for the mcat, my clinical activities in dental school, and my part-time job. Sometimes, I feel it is impossible to them all. :D

TBR is pretty good in my opinion. Make sure to take some AAMC practice test, and you'll be good to go!

I'm applying too, if all goes well :) bdsmd89, are you studying locally?

Hi BDSMD89,

May I know how did you manage to get the TBR books?

Thanks!

Thanks for the advice. :D I was anxious because everyone seems to use either examkraker or the princeton review.

I have my cousin in America get me one copy of each of the books. In my opinion, They Are very good because the practice tests are passages and the questions are pretty though compared to other book.

Make sure to do some aamc practice test under real test conditons. I found them quite helpful, altho a little pricey. You can get them online on their website so its quite convenient.

EDIT: if you have lots of time, you can look at some video lectures at wikipremed.com. I thought their PHysical science videos are worth going thru altho u may have to skip around cuz the speaker is a little slow. They go thru different question types that u may see on theexam + reinforce key concepts. Cant comment on their orgo or bio videos tho.

Last edited:
Make sure to do some aamc practice test under real test conditons. I found them quite helpful, altho a little pricey. You can get them online on their website so its quite convenient.

EDIT: if you have lots of time, you can look at some video lectures at wikipremed.com. I thought their PHysical science videos are worth going thru altho u may have to skip around cuz the speaker is a little slow. They go thru different question types that u may see on theexam + reinforce key concepts. Cant comment on their orgo or bio videos tho.

Sure thing! Thank you for the advice!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all, am new around here. I'm not a 2013/14 prospective applicant but have recently started to consider the MD program at duke-nus (perhaps apply in the near future). I was just wondering if anyone knows if it's plausible for someone with a 2:2 (NUS) to be considered for admission given the intense competition. I understand the importance of demonstrating academic potential so was wondering whether, say, a strong MCAT (or any other yardstick for that matter) could help compensate for a lacklustre undergraduate academic transcript.

Will appreciate any insight into this matter. thanks in advance!

Hi all, am new around here. I'm not a 2013/14 prospective applicant but have recently started to consider the MD program at duke-nus (perhaps apply in the near future). I was just wondering if anyone knows if it's plausible for someone with a 2:2 (NUS) to be considered for admission given the intense competition. I understand the importance of demonstrating academic potential so was wondering whether, say, a strong MCAT (or any other yardstick for that matter) could help compensate for a lacklustre undergraduate academic transcript.

Will appreciate any insight into this matter. thanks in advance!
S'up. What's a 2:2?

Hey there, by 2:2 I mean a second lower degree.
Right right.

Ok the cold hard truth is that there isn't any substitute for good grades. What year are you in? If you're a freshman or sophomore, I'm certain you'll be able to reach a second upper with some extra effort. Although the school doesn't have a cut off, the unspoken rule is at least a second upper. If you're a senior and haven't done well in college, I'm sorry. As much as Duke-NUS, or any med school for that matter, says applicants are assessed in a holistic manner, they still need assurance that their candidates have a trained mind and strong mental capacity; academic performance is a good proxy. I asked the same question myself when I went for an open house. The next best thing would be to do well in say, a master's, and then apply.

That being said, if you grad with a CAP that isn't too far from second upper, go ahead and give it a shot. Although grades may arguably be the biggest factor in getting your foot in the door, they aren't the only aspect of your application. Like you mentioned, compensate with a decent MCAT score (at least 30). Also, embark on a structured research project (do your honours), get clinical experience, serve actively in your community, have a cool hobby that you excel in and be a leader. Now is the time to start networking too so that you can get strong letters of recommendation. Application essays and interview performance are vital but those can wait for the time being.

Good luck and if you have anymore questions send me a message.

What's a second lower second upper? Does that pertain to GPA?

Mine isn't that high, I got wait listed. I am wondering if it's a good idea to start re-applying this soon before I know the outcome of this year? I've started re-writing essays and probably gonna retake the MCAT. Also having a full time job now haha, and still doing research.

:luck:

Mine isn't that high, I got wait listed. I am wondering if it's a good idea to start re-applying this soon before I know the outcome of this year? I've started re-writing essays and probably gonna retake the MCAT. Also having a full time job now haha, and still doing research.

wait list should start moving soon! (i think)

definitely on the right track to start preparing early tho :thumbup:

wait list should start moving soon! (i think)

definitely on the right track to start preparing early tho :thumbup:

THANK YOU, haha. :cool:

Sending some good vibe to duke-nus right now. Move it move it :D

Last edited:
Hi all,

I'm a current student and hoping to sell my MCAT books.

Examcrackers 1001 Questions in MCAT Biology
Examcrackers 1001 Passages in MCAT Verbal Reasoning
Examcrackers 1001 Questions in MCAT Physics
Examcrackers 1001 Questions in MCAT Chemistry
Examcrackers 16 Mini MCATs
Examcrackers MCAT Verbal Reasoning
Examcrackers MCAT simulated exam 1g
Kaplan MCAT Verbal Reasoning Strategy and Practice
Kaplan MCAT Physical Sciences Review Notes
Kaplan MCAT Biological Sciences Review Notes
Kaplan MCAT Lesson Book
Kaplan HIgh Yield Problem Solving Guide
Kaplan Inside Scoop on Medical Admissions Workbook
2 AAMC Practice Exams with Solutions

All this for a low price of SGD200!

The 1001 Question and Passages series are unmarked and look new!

Please PM me if interested!

Last edited:
Seems like the thread has been left quite for some time. Any idea how many people in Singapore take the MCAT exam every year?

I'm applying this cycle as well. I just got my MCAT score back so I'm sending my application soon. Anyone knows the quota for the incoming class they are going to take this year?

Also, quick question, do you know if they are going to verify with you when the letters, transcript and score arrive; then you send the application like we do in the US? :confused: And do you only have to report your highest MCAT score cuz' in the application website they doesn't allow you to put in more than 1 score :love:

Hi everyone,

I am looking to sell my MCAT books.

They are the complete set of Princeton Review MCAT subject review books:
Biology
General Chemistry
Physics and Math
Organic Chemistry
Verbal reasoning and writing

5 books in total. Asking for $100. Contact me at 94495149 if interested.

I'm applying this cycle as well. I just got my MCAT score back so I'm sending my application soon. Anyone knows the quota for the incoming class they are going to take this year?

Also, quick question, do you know if they are going to verify with you when the letters, transcript and score arrive; then you send the application like we do in the US? :confused: And do you only have to report your highest MCAT score cuz' in the application website they doesn't allow you to put in more than 1 score :love:

I think they consider the highest, but whatever you put in there doesn't matter since you're gonna have to send official report as well (they include all scores).

Hello everyone,

I'm applying to Duke-Nus this year. Doing PhD now in Canada.
Planning to send the app in August. Doing WES conversion now.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

Good luck!

A PhD? LOL no chance for the rest of us (and our lowly bachelor's).

Just kidding.

Hi everyone,
I'm selling
TPR Hyperlearning MCAT Verbal Workbook

Kaplan MCAT Lesson Book
Kaplan MCAT Verbal Reasoning Review Notes
Kaplan MCAT General Chemistry Review Notes
Kaplan MCAT Physics Review Notes
Kaplan MCAT Biology Review Notes
Kaplan MCAT Organic Chemistry Review Notes
Kaplan MCAT flashcards

Berkeley Review Chemistry Parts 1 and 2
Berkeley Review Organic Chemistry Parts 1 and 2
Berkeley Review Physics Parts 1 and 2
Berkeley Review Biology Parts 1 and 2

Pls PM me if you're interested!

hello all, just wanna ask if anyone's taking the 26th july paper in Singapore? :)

Anyone know if applying for Early Acceptance means that you must go to Duke NUS if you get accepted? I am interested in applying here and will apply but dont know what catches exist for Early Acceptance applications.

Waitlisted in April, REJECTED just now. Came via e-mail, but at least it's over very quickly.

Dr. Kamei signed the letter. :thumbup:

Full steam to re-apply then! Also, MCAT retake.

just got my rejection letter too. haha. bittersweet, knowing we survived multiple rounds of chopping.

just got my rejection letter too. haha. bittersweet, knowing we survived multiple rounds of chopping.

were you waitlisted too? I had this line in the letter that's a bit concerning. Dr. Kamei basically says that 'previously waitlisted' applicants are placed under greater scrutiny. Or my brain is just too foggy right now to decipher the meaning, either way I am crushed but also grateful that THIS JUST MAKES ME WANT IT MORE.

I will strive to be the member of class of 2018!!!

:idea: Now on to the essays...:scared:

I think he meant that previously waitlisted candidates will be looked upon fondly as they improve on their applications and try again. double points for perseverance and determination :)

and yeah I was. to the final day (and forever). pretty sure mcat was my downfall.

I think he meant that previously waitlisted candidates will be looked upon fondly as they improve on their applications and try again. double points for perseverance and determination :)

and yeah I was. to the final day (and forever). pretty sure mcat was my downfall.

What was your score, if you don't mind sharing? :oops: Mine is average, ugh. Don't know if I'm gonna retake. All I get was the standard 'get more recs, retake mcat, get research, etc'. I really want to know why! What was wrong with my app??

Anyway on to the discussion, what is your plan of attack this time? I'm applying early. Haha. Don't know what else to do since I'm already on research and I don't think my brain can endure another round of MCAT. :scared:

What is considered an average mcat score btw? Just Got my mcat score and scored a 32. Thought it would be good enough.

By the way I have some mcat books to sell.

1) examkrackers textbooks
2) Kaplan textbook
3) aamc practice questions
4) examkrackers 16 mini mcats
5)Princeton review hyper learning (PDF) sciences and VR

Hello, I just joined this forum. I am currently an NUS Year 4 Engineering students and planning to apply for Duke-nus this year (if my MCAT score is good)...

I just finished my MCAT exam this Thursday...however, actually i still don't know whether I should apply for it as it takes 4 years to complete and study there is quite tough plus the tuition fee is expensive..so i am still considering whether i should stick to it if i get good MCAT scores or i should go for Master study and work in industry. though my family can afford i would feel very sad if all my other friends go to work and earn money on their own while i still spend my parent's money..

can someone give me some advice..?

Hello, I just joined this forum. I am currently an NUS Year 4 Engineering students and planning to apply for Duke-nus this year (if my MCAT score is good)...

I just finished my MCAT exam this Thursday...however, actually i still don't know whether I should apply for it as it takes 4 years to complete and study there is quite tough plus the tuition fee is expensive..so i am still considering whether i should stick to it if i get good MCAT scores or i should go for Master study and work in industry. though my family can afford i would feel very sad if all my other friends go to work and earn money on their own while i still spend my parent's money..

can someone give me some advice..?

Medicine and engineering are two very different fields. If you are creative, logical, and fairly good at math and physics, then engineering should be a breeze for you. As an engineer, the life style won't be as stressful as a doctor and you will have more personal time outside of work. However, you probably won't earn as much as a doctor unless you have a popular invention on the market.

Medicine, on the other hand, takes a lot of efforts and time. It is hard work. Plus, you won't earn anything substantial until 10 years after you start medical school. Don't go into medicine because of the prestige or money. Do it only if you have a strong calling/ passion or reason for doing medicine. Ultimately, you need to ask yourself your reasons for wanting to become a doctor. :)

Last edited:
Well I will be applying to duke NUS for the 2015 intake...I have a few publications, volunteering experiences with some NGO's like operation smile, a patent, a start up...won a state level innovation competition and obtained funding or the same from government of inia,have organised a few cancer awareness and screening programs,currently I am working on cancer and bone regeneration procedures, a year of work ex in a hospital,have some conference presentations too but my GPA is around 3.3 or so...I'll be taking mcat early next year...what are my chances of getting in?

Last edited:

2:2 is a lower second class degree and pertains to the a very broad GPA ranking system given to graduates of UK universities and those that follow their tradition.

The highest is a 1:1, then 2:1, then 2:2 and then 3:3.

Very few people get a 3:3 usually the bottom 6%, a 2:2 is usually given to the bottom 30% of the class. A 2:1 is given to the average student anyone in between the bottom 30% and bottom 70-90%. A 1:1 is usually given to the best students top 10-30% of a class. This varies by university, higher ranked universities tend to give out more 1:1s and 2:1s than lower ranked universities and the reason for this is because better universities have harder working students.

Getting a 1:1 is roughly equivalent to getting a magna cum laude honor upon graduating.

Has anybody been notified of the interview yet?
On average how long does it take for them to notify you?

So let say that my GPA is 3.62 but I'm the 11th/170 students. Does that mean I'm in the 1:1 zone? I'm a lil bit confused because my uni follows American style. Moreover, according to wikipedia. GPA up to 3.67 is considered 2:1. Which one is true?

So let say that my GPA is 3.62 but I'm the 11th/170 students. Does that mean I'm in the 1:1 zone? I'm a lil bit confused because my uni follows American style. Moreover, according to wikipedia. GPA up to 3.67 is considered 2:1. Which one is true?

Hey I'm not sure if 3.62 is 1:1 or 2:1 but frankly it really doesn't matter whether it's first class or 2nd upper (equivalent to 1:1 or 2:1 i think). I think the school looks at your profile in a more holistic sense and academic wise you're there already. Don't fret too much over your GPA cause it's not something you can work on anyway. Try working on other stuff like your essays, your interview preparation and stuff like that - those are what you can still make a difference in. :)

Well I will be applying to duke NUS for the 2015 intake...I have a few publications, volunteering experiences with some NGO's like operation smile, a patent, a start up...won a state level innovation competition and obtained funding or the same from government of inia,have organised a few cancer awareness and screening programs,currently I am working on cancer and bone regeneration procedures, a year of work ex in a hospital,have some conference presentations too but my GPA is around 3.3 or so...I'll be taking mcat early next year...what are my chances of getting in?

I think your application would be really strong. The school wouldn't discredit you just because of your GPA, but you still need to prove that you can take the academic workload in medical school and you can do that by working hard on your MCAT. I think if you have a score of >31 you're good to go. All the best. :)

You are a high 2:1.

I believe the WES who converts degrees says the border between 2:1 and 1:1 is a 3.7 GPA.

If you are ranked 11 out of 170 that usually is enough to be 1:1, depending on the school some schools give out more 1:1s than others because they are more rigorous. Make sure DUKE NUS school knows your rank.

Hello everyone,

Good luck!

I am also doing PhD in the US. You r not alone!
Still waiting for my MCAT score. Kinda late...