2013-2014 Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got rejection email today. Was completed in November.

Members don't see this ad.

So, after an entire month of waiting I finally got the dreaded email from Dr. Callahan at 2:41pm indicating that I was placed on the HP waitlist. :/ So disappointing. Also, I am a DIMER applicant so I'm afraid that I will only be on a waitlist consisting of other DIMER applicants, and that there won't be much movement off the list for me. Ugh :(

Members don't see this ad :)
So, after an entire month of waiting I finally got the dreaded email from Dr. Callahan at 2:41pm indicating that I was placed on the HP waitlist. :/ So disappointing. Also, I am a DIMER applicant so I'm afraid that I will only be on a waitlist consisting of other DIMER applicants, and that there won't be much movement off the list for me. Ugh :(

Today marks 4 weeks for me, too. Still have yet to hear back. Don't lose hope, though. You never know!

Today marks 4 weeks for me, too. Still have yet to hear back. Don't lose hope, though. You never know!
Very true...I've been accepted someplace else at least, but Jeff is still my top choice so hopefully I will find out by June and get lucky haha. Good luck to you though! I think you will hear good news when you finally hear something :)

^+1....top choice for me too. I hate how we will have to wait at least until end of May.....

Reactions: 1 user
After not hearing back after 4 weeks, do you think I should send an email or give them a call?

After not hearing back after 4 weeks, do you think I should send an email or give them a call?
I would just wait it out. While Jefferson does let you know as soon as they have a decision, that is dependent upon when your interviewer can make it to the weekly committee meeting. Some docs (surgeons especially) can't make it for an entire month, thus delaying decisions. This is what happened to me, and I didn't hear back for five weeks.

I would just wait it out. While Jefferson does let you know as soon as they have a decision, that is dependent upon when your interviewer can make it to the weekly committee meeting. Some docs (surgeons especially) can't make it for an entire month, thus delaying decisions. This is what happened to me, and I didn't hear back for five weeks.

Thanks for the heads up!

Very true...I've been accepted someplace else at least, but Jeff is still my top choice so hopefully I will find out by June and get lucky haha. Good luck to you though! I think you will hear good news when you finally hear something :)

Well. So much for that. HPWL email around 5:00 haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted yesterday! Kind of an interesting story I feel. I was in Philly mid January, on my way back to Botswana (where I currently live), hadn't heard a thing from Jeff for a few months despite sending an LOI a few months prior. Called the admissions office who said they never received it and suggested I send it directly to Dr. Brooks/Callahan. Did so, while also taking the opportunity to let them know I was in the area and would love to meet. Dr. Brooks got back to me and we met that Thursday. Immediately upon sitting down, the first thing Brooks asked was "So why are you here? Do you want an interview? Convince me you should get an interview." And so I tried my level best to do so. Apparently she was convinced. Anyways, if nothing else, the moral of the story is persistence does occasionally pay off (for me, in the way of my first medical school acceptance) :)

Interviewed: 2/19 Accepted: 2/26

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Withdrew my app from HPWL. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Have to commend this school on their word economy. Just received the shortest pre-II rejection email ever.

Have to commend this school on their word economy. Just received the shortest pre-II rejection email ever.
Good - I just sent them the shortest pre-II withdrawal. Serves them right for giving me the silent treatment. :p

Reactions: 1 users
HP waitlist email just now, interviewed two weeks ago. I loved this school so much I could cry... I know a good portion of the class ultimately comes from this list, but does anyone know how many candidates are initially put on this list?

I was just put on the "alternate list"..is this the same as the high priority waitlist or worse?

I was just put on the "alternate list"..is this the same as the high priority waitlist or worse?
I'm not 100% certain but I think that's the regular waitlist. Unfortunately this is not as desirable as the High Priority WL.

Wondering why I still haven't heard anything... Complete in July...........

"Decision pending" is their pre-interview status, it's pretty common.

That will stay there until you are invited for an interview or rejected pre-interview. You can't tell based on that if they've read your application or made any decisions whatsoever.

HP waitlist email just now, interviewed two weeks ago. I loved this school so much I could cry... I know a good portion of the class ultimately comes from this list, but does anyone know how many candidates are initially put on this list?
I hope that your name gets called in May, but I have to say I think the idea that the HPWL is a good place to be is kind of overblown on here (not saying you are necessarily saying this). I think like less than 10 per year get taken from waitlists and often there a few from the alternate list. Hope it works out but I think Jeff knows their numbers/yields fairly well. They fill their class well and near precisely with the initial amount they over accept.

Hi there! I never post but found the timeline from others helpful so wanted to contribute back.

I got an acceptance call from Dr. Callahan around 3pm yesterday! Interviewed last week and was beyond impressed - really loved the community there. Very happy!

I hope that your name gets called in May, but I have to say I think the idea that the HPWL is a good place to be is kind of overblown on here (not saying you are necessarily saying this). I think like less than 10 per year get taken from waitlists and often there a few from the alternate list. Hope it works out but I think Jeff knows their numbers/yields fairly well. They fill their class well and near precisely with the initial amount they over accept.

According to Dean Callahan, 90 people from last year's class came from the WL (probably mostly HPWL? She didn't specify). Whether you think that's a lot or not is your perspective but those are the facts as presented by the dean of admissions.

According to Dean Callahan, 90 people from last year's class came from the WL (probably mostly HPWL? She didn't specify). Whether you think that's a lot or not is your perspective but those are the facts as presented by the dean of admissions.

This was my understanding as well. I'm just curious as to how many people are actually put on this high priority list. From past years' threads though it looks like nobody really knows. :-/

This is not true at all, at least as far as Jefferson is concerned. Our class has about 90 people from the high priority waitlist. As far as how many people actually are on that list, I do not know. They don't really release that information.

HPL just now. Total bummer. Doesn't seem like anyone knows the chances of getting in at this point. When do the HPL people generally start getting accepted?

Hmm. Maybe I was given some inaccurate information.

HPL just now. Total bummer. Doesn't seem like anyone knows the chances of getting in at this point. When do the HPL people generally start getting accepted?

I think they start in May right around the May 15th deadline.

I thought they usually do decisions on Wednesdays

I thought they usually do decisions on Wednesdays

Typically, acceptances are in the form of calls on Wednesday afternoons (from the deans, while the applicants there for interview are currently on their faculty interview, before cookie hour). Other decisions (HPWL/WL) are via email between Wednesday afternoon and Thursday.

Accepted yesterday. Interviewed last Wednesday and absolutely loved the school and atmosphere

I'm interviewing here in a couple of weeks. I had to reschedule my interview and they had about 3 dates left for the year since they only interview once a week (and April 9 sounds familiar for the last day available).

I'm so excited to interview here! Does anyone know how full the class is at this point? I currently hold 2 WLs and no acceptances--I love Jefferson and would love to go here but don't want to get my hopes up if I am essentially interviewing for the wait list.
You will not be interviewing for a waitlist spot.