2013-2014 Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does Jefferson award merit-based scholarships? Their tuition and housing expenses are incredibly steep, which seems to be a trend among PA schools (particularly Temple).

Jeff is such a gem - I just they'd lower their price tag slightly.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does Jefferson award merit-based scholarships? Their tuition and housing expenses are incredibly steep, which seems to be a trend among PA schools (particularly Temple).

Jeff is such a gem - I just they'd lower their price tag slightly.
I've not heard of merit based scholarships. There are, however, need based scholarships/loans, especially for URM and disadvantaged students.

I got an email from Financial Aid saying I wasn't complete in the following categories:

1.) Entrance counseling
  • Thought that would occur after matriculation.
2.) Signed copy of parents tax return
  • Is linking to the IRS on FAFSA not equivalent? This is the one I am confused about.
3.) Award terms and conditions
  • Not concerned about this because it says I need an award first.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an email from Financial Aid saying I wasn't complete in the following categories:

1.) Entrance counseling
  • Thought that would occur after matriculation.
2.) Signed copy of parents tax return
  • Is linking to the IRS on FAFSA not equivalent? This is the one I am confused about.
3.) Award terms and conditions
  • Not concerned about this because it says I need an award first.
1. I think that's referring to this: https://studentloans.gov/myDirectLoan/whatYouNeed.action?page=counseling
2. Linking to the IRS for your FAFSA information is sufficient. However, JMC still requires that you submit your parents' forms even if you've used the IRS linking tool. You can just scan the documents and e-mail it directly to the financial aid office.
3. Yeah, don't worry about this until you get your award.

Last edited:
Happy Friday all :) long time reader here who will be headed down to Philly the Wednesday night before Revisit, but really unfortunately have to be back on a plane by 10 that Thursday night after the reception. For those current students keeping tabs here, is it possible to squeeze in some "mini-Revisit" activities on Thursday - maybe some class time, chatting with someone about research opportunities, and global health / community health / MD-MPH potential...and if so, any ideas on who in particular I should get in touch with? So far, so in love with the city environment and people I've seen but would love to do some more exploring!

Happy Friday all :) long time reader here who will be headed down to Philly the Wednesday night before Revisit, but really unfortunately have to be back on a plane by 10 that Thursday night after the reception. For those current students keeping tabs here, is it possible to squeeze in some "mini-Revisit" activities on Thursday - maybe some class time, chatting with someone about research opportunities, and global health / community health / MD-MPH potential...and if so, any ideas on who in particular I should get in touch with? So far, so in love with the city environment and people I've seen but would love to do some more exploring!
Dr. Plumb would be the person to contact regarding global/community health activities. He is the head of the College Within a College program for Population Health. If you contact him, I'm sure he'll be happy to talk to you about those interests. Dr. Simmons would be the contact point person for the MD/MPH program. You'll hear about these again during orientation and also during meetings at the beginning of the year when they really start trying to recruit students.

As far as learning about other aspects of life here at Jefferson, the reception at the end of the first day is pretty helpful, as a crap ton of students from all years will be showing up. Last year, there was free beer, wine, and delicious hors d'oeuvres. We can all smell it from a mile away.

I've been accepted to Jefferson!! I have never been happier. My dream is coming true...
I interviewed 3/19 and got the call at 2:30pm April 9th!!

Reactions: 4 users
I've been accepted to Jefferson!! I have never been happier. My dream is coming true...
I interviewed 3/19 and got the call at 2:30pm April 9th!!

Congratulations! Your post is #1111 in this thread, too. :D

Reactions: 2 users
Dr. Plumb would be the person to contact regarding global/community health activities. He is the head of the College Within a College program for Population Health. If you contact him, I'm sure he'll be happy to talk to you about those interests. Dr. Simmons would be the contact point person for the MD/MPH program. You'll hear about these again during orientation and also during meetings at the beginning of the year when they really start trying to recruit students.

As far as learning about other aspects of life here at Jefferson, the reception at the end of the first day is pretty helpful, as a crap ton of students from all years will be showing up. Last year, there was free beer, wine, and delicious hors d'oeuvres. We can all smell it from a mile away.

This is fantastic, thank you!

Who is planning on attending second look? I'm trying to decide if it's worth the expense if I already know that I have very positive feelings about Jefferson.

Additionally, what are people's thoughts on taking their cars? I asked a few students on interview day but that was a very small representation of the class...

Who is planning on attending second look? I'm trying to decide if it's worth the expense if I already know that I have very positive feelings about Jefferson.

Additionally, what are people's thoughts on taking their cars? I asked a few students on interview day but that was a very small representation of the class...

taking your car to preview? or next year?

i think it will be fairly expensive to take a car to preview unless the school gives you a pass to park in one of the garages. You can probably look up prices online. Street parking won't be possible as any of the spots that you can leave your car at for the entire weekend are few and/or residential permits only.

As for next year, if you register your car in Pennsylvania.. you can get a residential parking permit and park it nearby. I'm not sure you'll really need it until at least third year though. Everything is within walking or mass transportation distance.. so unless you're traveling home every so often, it's probably not worth it.

taking your car to preview? or next year?

i think it will be fairly expensive to take a car to preview unless the school gives you a pass to park in one of the garages. You can probably look up prices online. Street parking won't be possible as any of the spots that you can leave your car at for the entire weekend are few and/or residential permits only.

As for next year, if you register your car in Pennsylvania.. you can get a residential parking permit and park it nearby. I'm not sure you'll really need it until at least third year though. Everything is within walking or mass transportation distance.. so unless you're traveling home every so often, it's probably not worth it.

I meant for next year, thanks for the tip

Yea, I'd suggest that if you're not using the car for an immediate purpose outside of medical school (i.e. you need it to travel home, if you will be working part-time, or if you know you'll be staying in Philly over the summer and need it for whatever), it's probably not worth it. Residential passes aren't expensive but you'll have to move your car every so often anyways. To park it in a garage will be fairly expensive. A little bit cheaper if you live in a building with a garage (off-campus) but not much.

I'm not a student there though, so maybe get Doc Strange's advice.. this is just from what I know about the immediate area and from what I've gathered speaking to Jeff students.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, I'd suggest that if you're not using the car for an immediate purpose outside of medical school (i.e. you need it to travel home, if you will be working part-time, or if you know you'll be staying in Philly over the summer and need it for whatever), it's probably not worth it. Residential passes aren't expensive but you'll have to move your car every so often anyways. To park it in a garage will be fairly expensive. A little bit cheaper if you live in a building with a garage (off-campus) but not much.
I'm not a student there though, so maybe get Doc Strange's advice.. this is just from what I know about the immediate area and from what I've gathered speaking to Jeff students.
I agree with the above. Car is not necessary first or second year unless you're a special case. It might be helpful for rotations, but people generally survive pretty well with public trans and carpooling.

@Doctor Strange or any other JMC students in this thread: Could you give us any insight into what second look will be like? So far, we know there's a dinner the first evening, frat party that night (at least that's what you experienced before), and "clinical perspectives" (what does that really entail?) the next day. Any more details about those things you'd care to share? Dress codes? Thanks!

@Doctor Strange or any other JMC students in this thread: Could you give us any insight into what second look will be like? So far, we know there's a dinner the first evening, frat party that night (at least that's what you experienced before), and "clinical perspectives" (what does that really entail?) the next day. Any more details about those things you'd care to share? Dress codes? Thanks!
This is what our schedule looked like last year: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jxk5tuyav2xo453/SEC LOOK AGENDA 4 25-26 2013_updated 4 22 13.pdf

Dress code is business casual. No jeans. No ties. Khakis and a nice button-up are fine. For ladies, I have no idea, but I assume you gals know what business casual entails.

Reactions: 1 users
anyone know when they might make decisions for the 4/2 and 4/9 interview dates?

Posted using SDN Mobile

When is our deposit due, if we haven't submitted it already and how would we submit it?

Also, totally just read this post on how medical school is a popularity contest for the first week? Like high school? Is any of this true at Jeff? If so, how does age play into all this - do people who are older end up being perceived as cooler? Do they kind of group off by themselves? Are younger people or BA/MDs kind of frowned upon or seen as incapable? What about folks who don't drink or binge drink - any biases there?

Also, totally just read this post on how medical school is a popularity contest for the first week? Like high school? Is any of this true at Jeff? If so, how does age play into all this - do people who are older end up being perceived as cooler? Do they kind of group off by themselves? Are younger people or BA/MDs kind of frowned upon or seen as incapable? What about folks who don't drink or binge drink - any biases there?
I'm not going to lie, medical school, in many ways, does seem a bit like high school. This will likely be true wherever you choose to attend. Cliques do form, and you will begin identifying very quickly who the "cool kids" are. That being said, I feel like despite people splitting up into their own group of friends, everyone is still pretty inclusive. Age does play a minor component, I guess, but, again, it's not a huge problem if you act with the level of maturity expected of someone in a professional/graduate level program.

Drinking is a whole other beast. I am personally a drinker and like to go out every now and then and definitely after exams. There is a "regular" crowd that goes out and a crowd that doesn't, which kind of creates some separation. A lot of the social events at Jefferson are admittedly staged at bars, mostly due to the convenience and abundance of venues in the area.

In general, I would say that you really shouldn't be worried about not being able to make friends at Jefferson. In a class of 250+, you are bound to find a group of people you get along with and have similar interests. If you're normally a little shy, just put yourself out there and make an effort to meet people during second look and orientation. 99% of the people they accept here don't bite.

Mind linking me to that article? Seems like it'd be an interesting read :p

Haha sure! I posed the same question on there for a generic viewpoint :)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/medical-school-popularity-contest.437277/

And thank you Dr. Strange! I'm just curious because I've traditionally floated around a lot of cliques, but I'm just not sure how many night events I'll be able to make at orientation for personal reasons :)
I'm going to qualify my previous post by saying that the first couple weeks are certainly not the crux of making friends in med school. There's organizations, lecture, small group, anatomy lab, clinical skills sessions, JeffHOPE... Plenty of opportunities to meet people both inside and outside of your year.

I'm going to qualify my previous post by saying that the first couple weeks are certainly not the crux of making friends in med school. There's organizations, lecture, small group, anatomy lab, clinical skills sessions, JeffHOPE... Plenty of opportunities to meet people both inside and outside of your year.

Ah, I see, that's great news! I know that in medicine, youth isn't necessarily an advantage and was wondering if this was the case in med school as well lol

Ah, I see, that's great news! I know that in medicine, youth isn't necessarily an advantage and was wondering if this was the case in med school as well lol
Being young isn't really going to hold you back at all. I live with third year students and hang out with them and their friends all the time. There's such a wide variety of ages in medical school, so it really just comes down to your personality.

Does anyone have TJ's match list by any chance?

Match list has not been officially released yet. I know there's been physical copies floating around, though. We did quite well, as usual. We matched 13/13 ophtho. I also think we matched all of our ortho kids.

12/12 ophtho. I think 15/15 ortho. I believe all of the urology people matched as well, but I'm not sure how many there were. ENT and derm were lower, but that's the norm.

Last edited:
Do you happen to have the radiology match list by any chance? I did see the 2013 TJ match list online and I've been waiting for a 2014 post. Do you happen to have a copy of the list? If it includes the names of the students, feel free to PM me (though the website does post the names eventually)

Do people trickle in off the HPL/alternate list or is there just a mass of acceptances/rejections later in May?

anyone hear about when financial aid will be released? I would like to know before second look.

anyone hear about when financial aid will be released? I would like to know before second look.
I was just coming here to ask that! I did get an email from Financial Aid telling me I needed to do some stuff (IRS data retrieval tool, for example) before I could get an award notification (check your Jeff email).

I was just coming here to ask that! I did get an email from Financial Aid telling me I needed to do some stuff (IRS data retrieval tool, for example) before I could get an award notification (check your Jeff email).

Gotcha, I never thought to check my Jeff email. I will do that later and see if I have anything.

I think the committee is meeting tomorrow! Good luck to all under consideration, myself included, lol!!!

First time poster here...

Anybody else not luck out finding a student host for Thursday? Just wondering what hotel might be best be stay at and if anybody else is in the same boat.

Anybody else not luck out finding a student host for Thursday? Just wondering what hotel might be best be stay at and if anybody else is in the same boat.

I stayed at the Home2 Suites by Hilton for my interview two weeks ago. It is only a 10 minute walk away from campus and they have a special rate for Jefferson.

Do you happen to have the radiology match list by any chance? I did see the 2013 TJ match list online and I've been waiting for a 2014 post. Do you happen to have a copy of the list? If it includes the names of the students, feel free to PM me (though the website does post the names eventually)

I PMed you.

Airbnb is also a great way to find a place to stay. There are a lot of affordable listings for the area. I actually tried to stay with Airbnb hosts rather than hotels when I went on residency interviews.