2013-2014 Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tots

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys. I'm a second year (or will be in the fall). Any questions and I'll do my best to provide some insight!

PA resident and applying!

How is the student life there? Is there a lot to do in Hershey, PA post exams?

Members don't see this ad :)
And out of curiosity, are there a lot of outreach organizations? Maybe it's just my computer but I can't find a lot of information on it.

Whats the predominant patient population that you guys have been exposed to?

32/3.78 OOS applying, hoping for some Big Ten luck.

And out of curiosity, are there a lot of outreach organizations? Maybe it's just my computer but I can't find a lot of information on it.

Whats the predominant patient population that you guys have been exposed to?

One of our biggest outreach programs is LionCare. We hold clinics for those in underserved parts of like Harrisburg to come and get healthcare. Med students do the majority of the volunteering.
We also have a really great global health program where students go abroad to help clinics in other countries. You can look up LionCare and Global Health Scholars to get more info.

We get a really wide array of patients. Because Harrisburg is close and we're a major referral center, we see a lot of lower economic levels and underserved patients but we also see then people from Hershey. We're a level one trauma center so we get lots of great trauma and the cancer center draws patients from all over the place. As students, we see them all. You can volunteer at LionCare from your very first day and your assigned a clinical skills advisor to spend days in their clinic, seeing patients and practicing physical exam skills and history taking:

Reactions: 1 user
CA resident here 30 MCAT 3.9GPA, is it worth applying here? How friendly are they to OOS?

I'd say worth applying. I had the same stats and am now a 2nd year! About 1/4 of our class is OOS

Ive looked all over on penn states site for their avg mcat and gpa matriculants but cant seem to find it anywhere (don't have access to msar) can anyone help me out here?

I'd say worth applying. I had the same stats and am now a 2nd year! About 1/4 of our class is OOS

They don't post it as far as I know. PSU doesnt release our stats hence why we arent a ranked school. I believe for our class it was 31ish and 3.6 gpa.

Like the USNews med school ranking. Like when people say a school is a top 20 school (ex Hopkins), it's the schools ranking. PSU doesn't release data on its acceptance stats so it can't be ranked compared to other schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ive looked all over on penn states site for their avg mcat and gpa matriculants but cant seem to find it anywhere (don't have access to msar) can anyone help me out here?

MSAR says Median MCAT 31 and GPA is 3.8.

One of our biggest outreach programs is LionCare. We hold clinics for those in underserved parts of like Harrisburg to come and get healthcare. Med students do the majority of the volunteering.
We also have a really great global health program where students go abroad to help clinics in other countries. You can look up LionCare and Global Health Scholars to get more info.

We get a really wide array of patients. Because Harrisburg is close and we're a major referral center, we see a lot of lower economic levels and underserved patients but we also see then people from Hershey. We're a level one trauma center so we get lots of great trauma and the cancer center draws patients from all over the place. As students, we see them all. You can volunteer at LionCare from your very first day and your assigned a clinical skills advisor to spend days in their clinic, seeing patients and practicing physical exam skills and history taking:

That sounds really amazing!
How's life in Hershey? It seemed like a pretty quiet and suburban town from what I could gather, but just wanted to get an insider's perspective.
I'm an older applicant and married, so just wondering how friendly the area is for raising kids and stuff. Thanks a lot for the input!

By the way, anyone getting secondaries yet?
If you don't mind sharing, are they the same as last year?
Thanks!

That sounds really amazing!
How's life in Hershey? It seemed like a pretty quiet and suburban town from what I could gather, but just wanted to get an insider's perspective.
I'm an older applicant and married, so just wondering how friendly the area is for raising kids and stuff. Thanks a lot for the input!

It is quite suburban and quiet. Lots of nice restaurants and I believe the schools are all solid so for kids it's a nice place. There's no party scene unless you go into Harrisburg which is fine for me but some find it kind of boring. Honestly, you spend so much time on school the lack of a party scene becomes kind of a moot point.

I would trust the website. I interviewed here last cycle and an adcom told me that PSU doesn't really care too much about MCAT scores which was cool.

With that said, I'm a reapplicant, interviewed and was WL'd! Do I have a shot? OOS

Doesn't really care too much about MCAT scores? Is this school like the Garden of Eden? This place almost sounds too good to be true. ;)

Doesn't really care too much about MCAT scores? Is this school like the Garden of Eden? This place almost sounds too good to be true. ;)

Maybe they don't care about gpa's either, lol!!

No secondaries sent yet. I think they are supposed to be sent out to everyone so I don't know why there is a delay.

It is quite suburban and quiet. Lots of nice restaurants and I believe the schools are all solid so for kids it's a nice place. There's no party scene unless you go into Harrisburg which is fine for me but some find it kind of boring. Honestly, you spend so much time on school the lack of a party scene becomes kind of a moot point.

Yeah, been out of the party scene for quite some time now...lol
Thanks for the reply!

While we're on it, would you be able to share how the overall atmosphere of Penn state is like? Such as competitiveness among students, student happiness, faculty quality?

Also, are there any aspects of PSU that you particularly like and/or dislike?
Thanks again very much. :)

Yeah, been out of the party scene for quite some time now...lol
Thanks for the reply!

While we're on it, would you be able to share how the overall atmosphere of Penn state is like? Such as competitiveness among students, student happiness, faculty quality?

Also, are there any aspects of PSU that you particularly like and/or dislike?
Thanks again very much. :)

I absolutely love it here. My only major complaint is that sometimes things coming from higher ups gets jumbled and it comes across as unorganized but they're restructuring everything to try to fix that. The main reason I chose PSU was how friendly everyone is. The staff is great and they specifically have the experts in the field teach the lessons on that topic so you get a lot of high quality information.

There's no competitive environment really. We just switched to unranked first 2 years pass/fail so there's no reason to be. They also are starting societies which are essentially like the houses at Hogwarts complete with the same colors which I love the idea of. I'll be able to give more insight to how they work in practice once it actually starts but the principle behind it is to give us a chance to network and build a career and to learn valuable lessons outside the classroom. I think it'll be great. :)

Everyone here seems happy. Although there isn't a gigantic amount of stuff to do on the town, you can always find good people to hang with. My friends and I have sushi nights where we make our own sushi and House nights where we watch episodes of house and try to find the things they did right and the things they did wrong.

Reactions: 1 users
I absolutely love it here. My only major complaint is that sometimes things coming from higher ups gets jumbled and it comes across as unorganized but they're restructuring everything to try to fix that. The main reason I chose PSU was how friendly everyone is. The staff is great and they specifically have the experts in the field teach the lessons on that topic so you get a lot of high quality information.

There's no competitive environment really. We just switched to unranked first 2 years pass/fail so there's no reason to be. They also are starting societies which are essentially like the houses at Hogwarts complete with the same colors which I love the idea of. I'll be able to give more insight to how they work in practice once it actually starts but the principle behind it is to give us a chance to network and build a career and to learn valuable lessons outside the classroom. I think it'll be great. :)

Everyone here seems happy. Although there isn't a gigantic amount of stuff to do on the town, you can always find good people to hang with. My friends and I have sushi nights where we make our own sushi and House nights where we watch episodes of house and try to find the things they did right and the things they did wrong.

lol that sounds like a really fun game...and difficult. Everything on House is so obscure.

lol that sounds like a really fun game...and difficult. Everything on House is so obscure.

Not always that obscure (Lyme disease was the answer in one episode) But it's fun even though ive seen every episode at least once to see if what they're saying would even make sense as a DDX or just how wrong they are (Lyme disease doesn't have erythema migrans 100% of the time so looking to for the rash is silly). It's a great way to show to yourself just how far you have come in a year.

Not always that obscure (Lyme disease was the answer in one episode) But it's fun even though ive seen every episode at least once to see if what they're saying would even make sense as a DDX or just how wrong they are (Lyme disease doesn't have erythema migrans 100% of the time so looking to for the rash is silly). It's a great way to show to yourself just how far you have come in a year.
My wife is a genetic counselor and she's always pointing out how certain conditions would be impossible to diagnose in such a patient or how the diagnosis is incorrect. It's been one of our favorite things to do lately. :) Everything you've said about Penn State sounds awesome.

Anyone know when secondaries were sent out last year?

I have a question about Penn State's LORs. Since they require 4, does the 'science faculty' have to be a faculty member at the university you study at? Can they be faculty at a different university and you did research with them?

Thanks!

Does anyone know if Penn State asks about misdemeanor convictions on their secondary? I have an expunged "drunk in public" from nearly a decade ago that I didn't have to disclose on the primary, and I would rather not have to mention it in a secondary. :( Thanks!

Thanks for the all the helpful information SteephBee!
Will there be Quidditch matches as well (or something equivalent)? lol

Anyway, I'm really liking the sound of everything. Just hoping I get the secondaries some time soon.. :)

Haha I think If i started saying things like that while watching TV my girlfriend would stab me, and then I'd have a read medical crisis. She hates it when I point out things that are wrong in programs.

Does anyone know if Penn State asks about misdemeanor convictions on their secondary? I have an expunged "drunk in public" from nearly a decade ago that I didn't have to disclose on the primary, and I would rather not have to mention it in a secondary. :( Thanks!

Hmm, I don't have the secondary yet, but I can't imagine why they would ask for something that was expunged. Generally those won't show up on your run-of-the-mill background check. The only place that I've seen that required people to include expunged charges were government jobs, like the military.

Anyone know how stringent they are on their LORs? It says you need to have one from every school that granted you a degree. I'm non-trad, graduated from college 10 years ago. It'll be pretty darn near impossible to get a letter from someone there. Pretty frustrating if I have to cross this school off my list now because of that!

Has anyone received a secondary since the last post on 7/23/13? I submitted a week ago but still haven't received anything; most schools have been fairly quick in sending II's.

Has anyone received a secondary since the last post on 7/23/13? I submitted a week ago but still haven't received anything; most schools have been fairly quick in sending II's.

just a heads up II means interview invite (it is ii just capitalized)

edit: well that is how people use it on this forum

I don't think that anyone has received PSUs secondary yet. I submitted my primary on June 10th, and nothing here. Don't worry about it. The secondary will come in due time.

do you guys think that the secondary essays will be the same from last year?

I hope so. I worked hard on those 50-word essays!

Have they sent out secondaries?

I got one 8/1 (verified end of July). Here are the prompts if no one has posted them as yet:

1. If not currently enrolled in a full-time academic program, please summate your activities from the time of graduation from your baccalaureate program through the time of this application, as well as your plans between now and your matriculation to medical school. (Maximum 75 words)
  2. Is there a unique aspect of your application that should be considered by the admissions committee? (Maximum 75 words)
  3. Explain why you decided to apply to Penn State College of Medicine. (Maximum 75 words)
  4. Please write a short paragraph describing a significant experience you have had working in a team setting. (Maximum 250 words)

i received it as well

anyone else having trouble with the section on pre-reqs?
i answer all the questions yes and when i hit section complete it says that the page is still incomplete

"Is there a unique aspect to your application that should be considered by the admissions committee? "

I mean there's a LOT of unique aspects but I'm not from an under-served community, I did not have to work for tuition, or have any scholarships like the Goldwater/Fullbright/etc. Is this section supposed to be left blank? I mean, I don't want to give the AdCom. more work than they need.

i received it as well

anyone else having trouble with the section on pre-reqs?
i answer all the questions yes and when i hit section complete it says that the page is still incomplete

:thumbup:

Same here. Did you try submitting with all Yes answers. I had one section to explain and I suspect the thing

Last edited: