2013-2014 Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Still haven't received it...been verified since 06/10 :(

Edit: nevermind :) received and submitted!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I got welcomed to the "pool" as they put it. (Secondary received)

:thumbup:

Same here. Did you try submitting with all Yes answers. I had one section to explain and I suspect the thing

I submitted all yes answers, then i went back and clicked no, then yes for every single one, for some reason that made it work. so if anybody else is having trouble they can try that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted all yes answers, then i went back and clicked no, then yes for every single one, for some reason that made it work. so if anybody else is having trouble they can try that.

Yup! Same. I'm not sure if it was because I did what you did or if when I refreshed (and got logged out because I was on the screen for an hour now) if that did it. Either way, some form of refreshing should fix the problem.

When were the people that have received secondaries verified? I submitted AMCAS on June 10th and was verified 6/20. I still have not received this one.

When were the people that have received secondaries verified? I submitted AMCAS on June 10th and was verified 6/20. I still have not received this one.

Submitted June 10th, Verified June 17th

i was verified 7/26 and i got it

... maybe the people who arent getting it are being screened?

Edit: MSAR says they send it out to everybody, maybe they send them out on some tiered schedule according to stats? that sounds a bit far fetched though, maybe its like alphabetical or birthday or something and y'all are unlucky so far

Last edited:
Verified 6/19 and got it. OOS. My stats aren't high at all, so I don't think it's a screen.

hm.. My document status page says "No Letters of Recomendation have been submitted." I submitted my secondary about an hour ago. I wonder if this is normal and whether they will update this later. Anyone else see the same thing on their page?

It will come! It seems like the first day so calm down people. On the other hand...for those who have received it, do your letters show up as being received?

Members don't see this ad :)
Verified 6/19 and got it. OOS. My stats aren't high at all, so I don't think it's a screen.

hm.. My document status page says "No Letters of Recomendation have been submitted." I submitted my secondary about an hour ago. I wonder if this is normal and whether they will update this later. Anyone else see the same thing on their page?

yea same for me, just cause they got your verified amcas doesnt mean theyve processed it through their system

just like everybody else itll be a couple days/weeks til youre "complete"

at least youre done with the secondary

Got the secondary today too! OOS verified 7/19

Obtained my secondary application

Verified 7/9

If not currently enrolled in a full-time academic program, please summate your activities from the time of graduation from your baccalaureate program through the time of this application, as well as your plans between now and your matriculation to medical school. (Maximum 75 words)

Is there a unique aspect of your application that should be considered by the admissions committee? (Maximum 75 words)

Explain why you decided to apply to Penn State College of Medicine. (Maximum 75 words)

Please write a short paragraph describing a significant experience you have had working in a team setting. (Maximum 250 words)

Always dislike the "why this school" prompts. I completely understand why they are there and it makes complete sense. But I feel as though they would not like the answer, "Because you are an awesome medical school and I would absolutely love to obtain my degree from you". Always feel fake with them is all :\ Do not mean to be, but its just how they have to be I feel.

Always dislike the "why this school" prompts. I completely understand why they are there and it makes complete sense. But I feel as though they would not like the answer, "Because you are an awesome medical school and I would absolutely love to obtain my degree from you". Always feel fake with them is all :\ Do not mean to be, but its just how they have to be I feel.

I liked the prompts from last year a lot more -- better questions, and a bit shorter. 250 words to describe teamwork, come onnnnnnn.

I liked the prompts from last year a lot more -- better questions, and a bit shorter. 250 words to describe teamwork, come onnnnnnn.

I actually did not think this one was that bad! Compared to some of the secondaries for other schools I am applying to this one was a piece of cake!

Yea...I think it's annoying that their "Why Penn State" is 75 but the other is a whopping 250.

Argh, I remember their secondary last year being much friendlier.

I submitted my secondary but my status says "No Letters of Recommendation have been submitted."

Strange because they use AMCAS, which has all of my letters. Does anybody else have this issue? :confused:

I submitted my secondary but my status says "No Letters of Recommendation have been submitted."

Strange because they use AMCAS, which has all of my letters. Does anybody else have this issue? :confused:

Don't stress about it. There are a couple other schools using this ZAP Solutions software and they all showed the same thing for me at first. After a day or so the letters will auto-magically appear.

For the MCAT option about processing, if we have taken the MCAT, do i choose the option.

"i do not plan on taking mcat afters submission"

thanks.

For the MCAT option about processing, if we have taken the MCAT, do i choose the option.

"i do not plan on taking mcat afters submission"

thanks.

I think that is their way of saying, should we wait for a MCAT score that we haven't received yet. If you don't have a pending score then that would be the correct answer.

I think that is their way of saying, should we wait for a MCAT score that we haven't received yet. If you don't have a pending score then that would be the correct answer.

then what would be the "NO" option, saying don't wait for my new score?

Is there a unique aspect of your application that should be considered by the admissions committee?

What are they asking for in this question?

Is there a unique aspect of your application that should be considered by the admissions committee?

Do you think it would be appropriate to discuss any possible red flags? Or is this more of a positive aspect of the application type of question?

I am guessing whatever they are asking, they are not asking for much. There is only so much one can convey with 75 words.

I thought it might be potential red flags in your application?

i thought the word unique was more of a positive thing than an negative

I thought it might be potential red flags in your application?

Definitely don't use that section to explain red flags unless you can completely spin it into a wonderful learning experience or something that brings the warm and fuzzies.

Does anyone know how strict the LOR requirements are? I don't really have a letter from a non-science faculty so I'm wondering if its worth shelling out the $75 on the secondary. Received it today morning.

Either A) Pre-health Committee packet
or B:
At least two letters from faculty in science disciplines.
At least one letter from faculty in a non-science discipline.
At least one remaining letter from college faculty, community leader, employer, or others in positions of responsibility that know the applicant well.

If you have multiple degrees then you need an LOR from each institution that granted a degree.

And if you have
completed one or more years of graduate study or full time employment at the time of this application and confirm that the letter(s) of recommendation submitted to AMCAS include at least one additional letter of recommendation from a member of the graduate faculty or work supervisor.

Secondary received and submitted today!! I REALLY would like a chance here. PSU is a too choice!!

Just got this secondary, for the unique aspect are they referring to any significant disadvantage? I believe that is what theyre hinting at that.

Finally finally finally got the secondary today!!! Planning to submit it by tomorrow night.

How is everyone answering the teamwork question?

Please write a short paragraph describing a significant experience you have had working in a team setting. (Maximum 250 words)

Are you just describing the experience, or are you somehow trying to tie it into medicine/medical school? :confused: The 250 word limit makes it sound like they want more, but I have no idea what I can write about -- I've already described my teamwork experience, and I'm at <100 words.

Are you just describing the experience, or are you somehow trying to tie it into medicine/medical school? :confused: The 250 word limit makes it sound like they want more, but I have no idea what I can write about -- I've already described my teamwork experience, and I'm at <100 words.

I wrote about a teamwork experience in a medically related setting. I didn't necessarily tie it into "why I want to be a doctor" or "what my future plans as a physician are." I just described the experience, explained why it was challenging, how I approached it, etc...

There should be several ways to do it, but the way I am writing now, I think I am more focusing on my leadership experiences in a multidisciplinary team, talking about what happened, how I adapted to different team members, what I learned about myself as well as my leadership style, and how it will be beneficial in teamwork in medical school.

Does anyone know how strict the LOR requirements are? I don't really have a letter from a non-science faculty so I'm wondering if its worth shelling out the $75 on the secondary. Received it today morning.

I had this same question, and I emailed admissions. This was the email I received back:

"Thank you for your question. The College of Medicine is interested in the broad educational background of its applicants. If you cannot meet our indicated requirements, you may feel free to submit your application with what letters you are able to secure, and the Admissions Committee will weigh this in consideration of your application. Please let us know what else we can do to help and thank you for your interest in Penn State College of Medicine."

I'm non-traditional, so I'm going to go for it anyway, and hope that the rest of my app is sufficient. OOS but with strong PA ties, so I'm hoping for some love. And hoping for an AMCAS verification in the next few days. Holy cow is this taking forever!

I had this same question, and I emailed admissions. This was the email I received back:

"Thank you for your question. The College of Medicine is interested in the broad educational background of its applicants. If you cannot meet our indicated requirements, you may feel free to submit your application with what letters you are able to secure, and the Admissions Committee will weigh this in consideration of your application. Please let us know what else we can do to help and thank you for your interest in Penn State College of Medicine."

I'm non-traditional, so I'm going to go for it anyway, and hope that the rest of my app is sufficient. OOS but with strong PA ties, so I'm hoping for some love. And hoping for an AMCAS verification in the next few days. Holy cow is this taking forever!

I'm non-trad as well. I believe it says you can have a letter from a supervisor at work instead.